Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

still playing battletech. still lmaoing, years later, at the entire concept of the clans

"yes we shall balance this blatantly better than everyone else faction by assuming our players will follow strict rules of engagement we only codified in the fluff parts of the book"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is warhammer 3 worth getting now? i remember seeing it get a bunch of bad reviews at release so i didnt buy it.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

still playing battletech. still lmaoing, years later, at the entire concept of the clans

"yes we shall balance this blatantly better than everyone else faction by assuming our players will follow strict rules of engagement we only codified in the fluff parts of the book"

lol that sounds badass can i ask you to elaborate on that?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Battletech is cool but it sucks that Harebrained has been condemned to make DLC for it eternally thanks to the Paradox buy-out and they'll never make another Shadowrun: Returns game :smith:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

is warhammer 3 worth getting now? i remember seeing it get a bunch of bad reviews at release so i didnt buy it.

I was pretty negative on release and I guess I'd say I've upgraded to basically neutral, where I'm not dying to spend a bunch of time playing it until they add more content but I feel like it's basically fine if you liked the other ones. Game pass is always an option if you want to wait for a sale to buy it on Steam, especially now that you can play Immortal Empires without owning the other two.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I don't really know enough about bannerlord to plan a run with any great certainty but I'm currently a merc for the vlandians seeking to max my renown before building up more parties in my clan and taking a rebel city to declare my own kingdom.

I ride a fast horse and put javelins in valuable enemies. the lance is for After

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They rereleased Legend of Dragoon and I'm delighted to find my muscle memory for the timed hits hasn't dulled at all.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I was pretty negative on release and I guess I'd say I've upgraded to basically neutral, where I'm not dying to spend a bunch of time playing it until they add more content but I feel like it's basically fine if you liked the other ones. Game pass is always an option if you want to wait for a sale to buy it on Steam, especially now that you can play Immortal Empires without owning the other two.

I've never understood the TW Warham games. they way they distinguish between making something a DLC and making something a new game is very bizarre to me.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skypie posted:

Battletech is cool but it sucks that Harebrained has been condemned to make DLC for it eternally thanks to the Paradox buy-out and they'll never make another Shadowrun: Returns game :smith:

bro what

they've been done with Battletech since 2019

copy posted:

lol that sounds badass can i ask you to elaborate on that?

Back when Battletech was just a tabletop wargame and the mechwarriors and poo poo had not yet been made they had some really iffy ideas about balance. Short version, they introduced a new faction in I think 1991 called THE CLANS and these dudes had equipment that was flatly better than everyone else. Not powercreep, whole rear end new power paradigm. They also deployed 5 robots in their basic unit instead of 4 like everyone else.

The idea to balance these guys was they had to follow their own strict code of E-Bushido (because the clans were weebs, literally) about how they could fight, who they could fight, and when they could fight them. The whole rear end thing was laid out in the parts of the book that were about setting writing. There was nothing about this in the actual rules. So of course anyone who wanted to win would just buy a bunch of clan mechs and not follow these rules.

It was not a very good idea, but it was very funny.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

I'd say yes if you actually like the warhammers. Its even a viable buy in since they made the big super campaign available to everyone, though I wouldn't personally recommend that because it still has some quality issues.

There's a lot of game there though and if you're able to play the same game for hundreds of hours and like smashing dudes into each other then go for it imo. Might wanna grab warhams 2 first if you're new to the series though, it's the most polished of the three still.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd say yes if you actually like the warhammers. Its even a viable buy in since they made the big super campaign available to everyone, though I wouldn't personally recommend that because it still has some quality issues.

There's a lot of game there though and if you're able to play the same game for hundreds of hours and like smashing dudes into each other then go for it imo. Might wanna grab warhams 2 first if you're new to the series though, it's the most polished of the three still.

yeah i have hundreds of hours in warhammer 2 and for TW games in general. and especially if they unlocked mortal empires that is promising, one TW:W thing i never really cared for was specific campaigns with stories, i like the sandbox stuff. thats totally subjective of course but i bounced right off the campaings from the previous games.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

bro what

Oh for real? I didn't actually know that. I just knew they'd been on it for years and figured they would be forever since Paradox loves doing billions of DLC packs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

playin cod again

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Skypie posted:

Oh for real? I didn't actually know that. I just knew they'd been on it for years and figured they would be forever since Paradox loves doing billions of DLC packs

They still haven't announced anything else so you didn't really miss much anyway.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i have hundreds of hours in warhammer 2 and for TW games in general. and especially if they unlocked mortal empires that is promising, one TW:W thing i never really cared for was specific campaigns with stories, i like the sandbox stuff. thats totally subjective of course but i bounced right off the campaings from the previous games.

in that case I strongly recommend 3. Immortal Empires owns and all the old factions got at least minor revamps so everything is fresh again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I def like WH3 but eh. I see the DLC I have vs the vanilla experience and can def see why folks are leery.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

oh absolutely, but I am a mark :v:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
this websites admonistatrion jas got to be the biggest bunch of loving retards on the planet

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

bro what

Back when Battletech was just a tabletop wargame and the mechwarriors and poo poo had not yet been made they had some really iffy ideas about balance. Short version, they introduced a new faction in I think 1991 called THE CLANS and these dudes had equipment that was flatly better than everyone else. Not powercreep, whole rear end new power paradigm. They also deployed 5 robots in their basic unit instead of 4 like everyone else.

The idea to balance these guys was they had to follow their own strict code of E-Bushido (because the clans were weebs, literally) about how they could fight, who they could fight, and when they could fight them. The whole rear end thing was laid out in the parts of the book that were about setting writing. There was nothing about this in the actual rules. So of course anyone who wanted to win would just buy a bunch of clan mechs and not follow these rules.

It was not a very good idea, but it was very funny.

lol sick

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mycophobia posted:

this websites admonistatrion jas got to be the biggest bunch of loving retards on the planet

more people are saying this

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They call it "Janny Syndrome", and they say its looking to be a bad year for it .......

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they've got a great big aids-riddled tumour where the "dealing with people" part of the brain should be

also is Atomic Heart worth the 70gig space requirement? anyone played it yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they've got a great big aids-riddled tumour where the "dealing with people" part of the brain should be

also is Atomic Heart worth the 70gig space requirement? anyone played it yet?

If you are getting it free from gamepass yeah it’s ok.

I wouldn’t pay for it though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's very pretty and weird as hell in a lot of ways but once you start getting used to the weirdness it's actually kind of boring

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Elden Ring question: Am I going to gently caress myself over by wasting souls and weapon upgrade resources? I'm on my second character (tapped out after beating Godrick on my first because of real life stuff) and I have been steam rolling the mini dungeon bosses compared to my last play-through. Just got to Stormveil castle. But I keep wanting to pump dispirit stats and to gently caress around with every weapon I find. The only From games I've beaten are Bloodborne and Sekiro because they forced me into a particular play style. When I have a ton of options I want to try all of them. Is there a point in the game where you really need to commit to a specific build/weapon type?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

Elden Ring question: Am I going to gently caress myself over by wasting souls and weapon upgrade resources? I'm on my second character (tapped out after beating Godrick on my first because of real life stuff) and I have been steam rolling the mini dungeon bosses compared to my last play-through. Just got to Stormveil castle. But I keep wanting to pump dispirit stats and to gently caress around with every weapon I find. The only From games I've beaten are Bloodborne and Sekiro because they forced me into a particular play style. When I have a ton of options I want to try all of them. Is there a point in the game where you really need to commit to a specific build/weapon type?

imo you should commit to a specific couple stats because otherwise your damage will start to lag behind eventually cuz you're not scaling very well. That said, people beat the game with all kinds of janky challenges or sub-par options so you can probably beat the game if you're willing to bang your head against the wall on later, harder bosses

Also, you will eventually get the option to reset your stats and respec so you won't be permanently loving yourself and have freedom to play around a bit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Be careful with weapon upgrade materials. Anything that upgrades with Somber Smithing Stones is pretty easy to upgrade, but regular Smithing Stones are oddly a pain in the rear end to get, so it's best to try to upgrade at most two of those kinds of weapons at a time.

I wouldn't worry that much about spending runes on stats though. Try to focus on one or two stats plus Vigor for more HP, but you will be able to respec your stats by the mid-game so you don't need to stress over every point or anything.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Oh, yeah, you can get into a bad spot with smithing stone drops so I would encourage you to do the stuff that allows you to purchase them from a vendor. It makes things way less of a headache, though you will have to farm runes heavily if you intend to level more than a couple weapons since you'll run out of drops

The only ones that are truly limited - as in there's a finite number to acquire in a given playthrough - are the Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks! I will stick to leveling Strength, dex and vigor since the great sword has been loving poo poo up and I just want to get through the game eventually. But I'm going to miss terrorizing the soldier camp in Limegrave every time I find a twinblade or some wolverine claws.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
early game don't worry too much about the low tier smithing stones they're pretty much everywhere but you'll want to be sure about them if you're using up anything later on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BrownPepper posted:

you get tons and tons of souls and can always farm more so there's no downside to "wasting" them on shops.

stats/levels are a different question though since each level makes all future levels more expensive. so e.g. if you go all in on pumping the bigger-FP-bar stat early on to cast lots of glintstone pebbles it'll be a lot harder to pivot and get enough strength to wield that 40-strength-requirement giant sword you just looted.
overall though as long as you have enough levels in the hp stat and the minimum requirements for whatever cool weapon you want to use you should be fine spreading yourself thin, though a min maxed build would obviously hit harder. (there are respecs too eventually). weapon upgrades are a bigger deal for your damage than stats until the highest levels.
by endgame you want a minimum of like 40 levels in vigor since that's when the hp per level starts hitting diminishing returns

for smithstones: as long as your one main weapon gets upgraded you can use the extras on anything. you'll eventually get infinite of all of them and be able to upgrade as many weapons as you like.
but if you use your only tier-2 stones on getting two weapons to +5 instead of one main weapon to +6, you'll be unable to use that +7 stone you just looted etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
replayed SOMA. drat. what a game

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Feels Villeneuve posted:

replayed SOMA. drat. what a game

I was looking for a next game after finishing Vampire Survivors, SOMA is it. Amazing that I've avoided spoilers for it for this long honestly

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

playing rimworld at the mo but it's getting a bit bloated with content. three dlcs and lots of modifications mean I've just got loads to focus on. There's also loads of conflicts as they haven't been properly updated for v1.4; the one that lets you give bionics to animals doesn't like the "more dogs" mod

I think I'm going to have to go through and remove all the useless mods, the ones causing unnecessary conflict, and only keep the good ones that provide a positive experience. probably play some bannerlord before doing that though.

if you're gonna mod Rimworld at all I highly recommend checking all the ones out by Owlchemist, all of his mods are highly optimized with FPS in mind and are everything from quality of life to small graphical tweaks to a mod that lets you remove a mod from an existing savegame without loving it up.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2623989736

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I don't play rimworld but that last one sounds like a loving godsend and that dude owns for making it

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

is it worth asking for scifi book recommendations in the book barn? i haven't poked my nose in there for a decade and i want some light reading recommendations, but it used to be just loving dreadful.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

is it worth asking for scifi book recommendations in the book barn? i haven't poked my nose in there for a decade and i want some light reading recommendations, but it used to be just loving dreadful.

I would ask in the sci-fi wifi, a still intensely nerdy but much better forum

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I don't read much Sci-Fi but I lurk the horror thread on that forum and have found some good recommendations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really like Destiny 2 but I swear the game actively makes you frustrated. I don’t really play much but I’ll play through the stories.

I was part way through the witch queen story when I log on today and it immediately throws me into the last mission for the latest season. Like I get that the season is almost over but at least ask me lol.

Shooting aliens is fun though. I really like the gun play and the story bits.

The grinding is garbage and I don’t really do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I have been playing Hitman lately. Had a good day at work plotting elaborate murders.

e: in minecraft etc.

Lima has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Feb 22, 2023