Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Endless Mike posted:

It does seem like they've been updating his parents' cultural references somewhat more recently, but that may just be in my head. But even in 2014 that was a dated reference for people in roughly their mid-40s.

He’s actually named after their stillborn from Connie’s hard drug and alcohol usage while pregnant at the concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
^^ That got dark, fast.

Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Jeremy is actually named after that one Pearl Jam song

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/13-15/50

Archie 8/5-7/46

That's some good caption laying-out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Endless Mike posted:

Jeremy is in high school, so no older than 18, but doesn't really talk about college applications or anything, so we'll say he's 17, which meant he was born in 1997 when this was published. Must have been some fun retro show his parents went to for kicks.
He was named after they went to a Pearl Jam concert.

F Minus

I still believe!

Mark Trail

I assume that's a LotR reference but I don't understand why.

Mary Worth

Oh God do I want this to wind up in court.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Technically, Apartment 3-G has caught up to where we left off, but honestly I don't even remember what the story was and I think I'm done with it for now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

He was named after they went to a Pearl Jam concert.

:stonklol:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I assume that's a LotR reference but I don't understand why.

Considering the dialogue of the last week I wouldn't assume Jules is making a reference unless it was pointed out four times in three days.

Also wow, that panel 4. Look at Rods shoulders. The panel two is pretty bad too... really, how many of these hand gestures and arm placements don't work without the camera cropping? Mark's jawline in panel 2 vs panel 4 is a laugh too. The shape changing monitor, the inability of anyone to be on model for longer than two panels. Looking at Rods hairline he didn't even last past his introduction before Jules stopped caring about him! What a daily treat it is to mock this strip. :allears: There just aren't that many who are this openly lazy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Considering the dialogue of the last week I wouldn't assume Jules is making a reference unless it was pointed out four times in three days.

Also wow, that panel 4. Look at Rods shoulders. The panel two is pretty bad too... really, how many of these hand gestures and arm placements don't work without the camera cropping? Mark's jawline in panel 2 vs panel 4 is a laugh too. The shape changing monitor, the inability of anyone to be on model for longer than two panels. Looking at Rods hairline he didn't even last past his introduction before Jules stopped caring about him! What a daily treat it is to mock this strip. :allears: There just aren't that many who are this openly lazy.

I would love to see a real-time recording of the process of drawing one of these strips, just to be able to see how long it takes and how little effort goes in.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Glenn has entered an abstract philosophical world that only he understands. I barely understand it and I’m responsible for writing it.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PetraCore posted:

How do you pick names for characters? I read that article on the comic that translated the title as Scary Alien Baseball Team and I really like your translation of Demons of Baseball to capture the 'scary intense outsider baseball players' feel, it's a lot less literal but I feel hits the described mood of the Korean title better. And clearly you're picking more western given names while keeping family names of characters, but I'm wondering if part of that is to capture connotations of names? Like, Planck is a reference to Planck's constant, right? How did you pick that name? Does Two Guns use a nickname in Korean, too? I know you made Maggie and May match because they're sisters, but does Copper have a metallic name in Korean, is Hardy's name a reference to him being tough? Sorry, I'm just really curious! I'm really really enjoying The Demons of Baseball and I've been sharing it with a friend off-forum that loves it, too.

Sort of, on Planck. His name in Korean is Hye-sung, which literally means planet and is a fairly unusual name, so I went with the closest thing to get a galactic feel. Two Guns reads as Two Mountains in Korean and I couldn't think of a way to communicate "two big things" that wasn't just a nickname. Copper's name Dong-tak, is kind of metallic, because Dong means Copper, and that was the point where I started questioning my naming rubric but even then I was too far deep to really change it. Choi Hardy is one of the better ones, because his name, Choi-gang, intuitively reads as "the strongest" although I should note, I have no idea what any of these names are actually supposed to mean because I don't know how they're spelled in Chinese. The names in Boss Dharma (but not Chief Dharma) were much more easily interpreted as puns because almost none of them conform to the Chinese syllables most commonly used for Korean names, although they are recognizable as common Korean words.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

welcome aboard glenn

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

:wth:

Gil Thorp

Home Free

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm not sure what to expect from Luann, but I am fully expecting it to be real dumb.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Jeremy is in high school, so no older than 18, but doesn't really talk about college applications or anything, so we'll say he's 17, which meant he was born in 1997 when this was published. Must have been some fun retro show his parents went to for kicks.

the age thing's already been brought up but the strip used to actually do college prep stuff, especially during the summer, as one of those things the mom pushes him to start sending out stuff for.

I think it's been a while since then, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

catlord posted:

I'm not sure what to expect from Luann, but I am fully expecting it to be real dumb.

they'll be siblings but find jesus and get married then smooch

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Let's be serious. No one is going to smooch.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tomorrow: they find out they have the same Great-Aunt Brenda. (And if it was Batiuk writing this, you know he'd do it.)

Rhinoplasti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/21/03

Brenda Starr 6/15-17/50

They finally get Hammerschmidt off the cactus, and the copilot, inevitably, flirts with Brenda a bit.

Smokey Stover 2/1/53

Everyday Movies 2/19/36

"Now that we've swapped hats, Duke, he'll never recognize us if we go in again and get another free sample of those crackers."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/2-4/40

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

They should've given that quote an attribution, but that would be putting Descartes before the horse. :dumbrim:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somewhere in the past of 1940 young Chuck Schultz reads the comics and a seed is planted.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Strontium posted:

They should've given that quote an attribution, but that would be putting Descartes before the horse. :dumbrim:

Boo!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 21, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

is the bar in Uramichi Sakaba ok :ohdear:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:ohdear:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 27, 1955)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Sabao! :cry:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

As a kid it took me a bunch of time to see what's up in the climbing one

Fingerpori

The word for "struggle" was one that refers more to fighting/wrestling in Finnish; basically the sentence is meant to convey something like "you must overcome yourself".

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Sabao!! :qq:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

catlord posted:

I'm here for it with popcorn

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Sharp steel is the only way he'll learn!" I explain to my wife as I hack wildly at my 8-year-old son's totally unguarded throat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

T H A T W I L L B E A G O O D L E S S O N

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a lot of iron to hand over to a kid. He's gonna be swinging them around and sending axes flying all over the place when he loses grip.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Suddenly Arn turning out to be a huge rear end in a top hat as an adult seems less out of left field.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sincerely, please.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Nancy only weighs 17 pounds?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Nancy only weighs 17 pounds?
17 pounds of fat would be about that many calories, but Nancy is mostly things other than fat like muscle, bone, and connective tissues, which have much fewer calories per pound than fat. One estimate of the calorie content of an adult human male is 143,771 so 59,897 seems pretty reasonable for a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gotta shove Nancy into a bomb calorimeter to know for sure