Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
drat, I never thought congee looked good until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Colombian mexican fusion tonight.

Arepas con queso with lamb tallow and butter.

Oaxaca cheese and homemade mexican chorizo.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ogarza posted:

Colombian mexican fusion tonight.

Arepas con queso with lamb tallow and butter.

Oaxaca cheese and homemade mexican chorizo.

God drat looking good!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Chicken Katsu for dinner tonight. First time making it. This was a super easy recipe and I’ll definitely be making it again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thrown together chicken, broccoli, box of Mac

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Butter chicken. No coriander. =(

notes:

* surprisingly delicious for my first time. Used Joshua Weissman's "faster than takeout" recipe.
* may or may not be faster than takeout. My usual indian place is two municipalities over, which means I never order there unless I'm detouring home from work.
* need to reel in the garlic. I got lazy and grated it on the microplane instead of mincing, that probably didn't help. It will probably mellow a bit when reheated tomorrow, we'll see.
* Need to amp up the chili. I like my butter chicken to have a *little* bit of a kick.
* actually use ghee next time around. Did a ghetto clarified butter by throwing into a bowl in the microwave for a minute or two and scooping off some of the more visible milk solids.
* stick blender just splattered everything everywhere because the fluid level after adding tomatoes wasn't high enough, had to tilt my dutch oven to get enough depth for blending.
* maybe chuck in another tablespoon or two of butter in the morning
* experiments with sour cream subsitutions for heavy cream because of lactose intolerance continue to be a success. If you too, are lactose intolerant, cultured sour cream has less, not zero, lactose than heavy cream. Just make sure that you're getting sour cream and not "milk with thickeners". Daisy (not an endorsement) is an example of the former, and not the latter.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Try using coconut milk - it'll add another dimension of flavour and is also lactose free while also giving it a bit of thickness. Quite common in a lot of varying curries actually.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Coconut milk is the only way I do curries.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Looks pretty bad, tastes pretty good.

Lime and coriander couscous with carrot, leeks, onion, spinach and garlic. Tenderstem broc and grilled lamb heart with harissa spice

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

midweek stroganoff.
And this is why sour cream last time with the butter chicken, so I could use the remainder here.
Cousin has this thing that bills itself as "granulated mushroom bouillon" that really kicked this thing into high gear, made it taste like I'd been simmering it and slaving over the mushrooms/onions for hours.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2023

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

midweek stroganoff.
And this is why sour cream last time with the butter chicken, so I could use the remainder here.
Cousin has this thing that bills itself as "granulated mushroom bouillon" that really kicked this thing into high gear, made it taste like I'd been simmering it and slaving over the mushrooms/onions for hours.

Looks great! I'm going to guess that that mushroom bouillon gave it a blast of MSG which made it taste so good.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made Some crispy pork belly

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
goddam

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Dacap posted:

Oh my. :stwoon:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

drat son that pork belly looks killer.

Dinner today: inaugural batch of potato leek cheddar soup in the new dutch oven. Came out really nice so I felt compelled to commemorate the moment.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

drat son that pork belly looks killer.

Thanks, it might be one of the best things I’ve ever made

Followed this recipe https://cjeatsrecipes.com/crispy-pork-belly/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Dacap posted:

Uh how did you do this? This looks amazing

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I've had similar results this way: https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-crispy-pork-belly/

Looks great Dacap.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I followed this recipe

https://cjeatsrecipes.com/crispy-pork-belly/

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Tomato & Basil Risotto tonight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

claypot rice with chicken, lap cheong, and shitake.

notes:
Crisping technique could use work.
Was more concerned with not burning it. Will push it a little harder next time.
Oven cooked, stovetop finished. Will try stovetop only next time.
Well-seasoned, though, which was another concern.
Kam Yen Jan lap cheong turned out better than expected, I find it to be bland, and usually use a locally-made brand.
Kam Yen Jan is my "well, it's shelf-stable, so it will go in the pantry and be our backup for when I don't have the better stuff". I was just cleaning out the freezer and found a pair of links that I decided to finish off, hence making this dish.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 21, 2023

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's fat Tuesday my droogs

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First time making duck breast at home; used Kenji's cold pan method.always loved it at restaurants, but finally bought a whole bird and broke it down. Now to try con fit for the legs and wings.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Katsu curry. God, I missed being able to cook in my own kitchen whenever I want.

I rarely, if ever, consider anything I make in the kitchen to be absolutely unsalvagable or a failure, but this might be one. Not enough thickening power in the roux (yes I used blocks because I was lazy, NOT making that mistake again) and the drat thing is so bland in terms of spices while also being overly sweet and salty despite heavily curtailing the sugar and not adding in any salt that it really can't be reduced any further despite it still being watery AF.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Once again on evenings it's just me I turn to congee

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

whipped up some gyukatsudon. the katsu sauce was an admittedly lazy recipe but I thought it turned out pretty good, considering it was 4 ingredients. steak turned out phenomenal, and I don't know if onions/carrots/edamame beans is authentic but it was delicious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cheater bacon twice cooked pork cooked only once

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Vegan Fajitas for me. The big slices of portobello mushroom is a pretty satisfying replacement for chicken or steak. I’d make these again. Easy weeknight meal.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Had a go at Mie ayam Jakarta.

I swear there are noodles under there

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Wife decided to cook tonight for a change and made a yummy Mongolian Beef recipe.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Wife decided to cook tonight for a change and made a yummy Mongolian Beef recipe.

Looks good.
Is this with ground beef? Were you happy with it and would you mind sharing the recipe? Do you think it'd work with Soy Boy Meatless Crumble Substitute? Wife and I have been forcing our selves to do meatless meals at least once a week. We are struggling with ideas as most of what we cook was centered around a protein and we just haven't flexed that muscle. Doesn't help we have 2 slightly picky kids who struggle with 'different' veggies.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sterster posted:

Looks good.
Is this with ground beef? Were you happy with it and would you mind sharing the recipe? Do you think it'd work with Soy Boy Meatless Crumble Substitute? Wife and I have been forcing our selves to do meatless meals at least once a week. We are struggling with ideas as most of what we cook was centered around a protein and we just haven't flexed that muscle. Doesn't help we have 2 slightly picky kids who struggle with 'different' veggies.

We frequently do grain bowls, usually with farro, sometimes quinoa, occasionally rice. We like tomatoes, cucumber, feta, avocado, olives, sometimes a random protein but not always (you could do eggs, or tofu), blanches broccoli, green onion, nuts, seeds etc. Really any combination of veggies, cheese if you'd like, some sort of dressing (tahini drizzle, Japanese bbq sauce, garlic yogurt sauce). They're great because you can customize them to each person's palate and not add stuff your kids won't eat, or add things they like that you don't necessarily want (uh, chicken nuggets...guilty as charged).

Because they're typically dressed, it's also a way to get your kids to eat some veggies they wouldn't otherwise eat in a naked form.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

sterster posted:

Looks good.
This is not a reply to your direct question but if you're struggling with meatless meals this thread might help you out. Hundreds and hundreds of recipes!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is not a reply to your direct question but if you're struggling with meatless meals this thread might help you out. Hundreds and hundreds of recipes!

Nice don't know why I didn't think to look for that thread before hand. Hope this will help, like I mentioned I've gotten I like to think decent at cooking but doing veggie dishes stumps me. Thanks for pointing this out.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Light lunch at an Argentinian steakhouse (split between 3).

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

NLJP posted:

Had a go at Mie ayam Jakarta.

I swear there are noodles under there

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I would like recipes, please!

sterster posted:

Looks good.
If the aim is just to start getting into the habit of a meatless day or two per week, looking at veggie pasta dishes and browsing something like Budget Bytes could be useful as they tend pretty well towards weeknight/family-friendly stuff. I love https://vegrecipesofindia.com/ as a resource, and it might also help with inspo, since you can look at how much effort you want to make. The thread TychoCelchuuu posted is good as well, but I find it can be a bit overwhelming because there's such a huge variety there.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

sterster posted:

Looks good.

Here’s the recipe:

https://unboundwellness.com/mongolian-ground-beef/

If it was me making this, I probably would have gone meatless. That’s a bit of a tricky maneuver for my wife, but I’d say trying this with some “ground beef” tofu or something would be pretty drat good too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sterster posted:

Looks good.

Is cheese OK or are you going vegan? One fun option with kids is to make French bread pizza - Kenji's recipe is dead simple and by making individual portions, it allows your slightly picky kids to pick their own vegetable toppings.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Dinner for a big group of friends. Two different carnitas recipes, al pastor, salsa verde, fajita veggies, guac, pickled red onions, and a big 'ol pot of beans. There was also rice and a bunch of tortillas that weren't on the table yet. Oops.

I'm disappointed I couldn't find any proper cotija, but it was all delicious anyways. I'm ready to get lazy and not cook for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bollock Monkey posted:

I would like recipes, please!

If the aim is just to start getting into the habit of a meatless day or two per week, looking at veggie pasta dishes and browsing something like Budget Bytes https://vegrecipesofindia.com/

Thanks for the recipe and all the help. Really we are just being more conscious about the amount of meat we eat. It was every meal all the time. Now we are starting to do the 1 day a week. I wouldn't mind doing more veggie dishes if I find stuff we can all like.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is cheese OK or are you going vegan?

Cheese is fine.