Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddammit I'll be happy if the 1kv changes are badass, I loved dps phases with it. It's still awesome for shooting mans and giving with people behind cover or invaders in gambit. Also bring back the bug where it screamed and broke eardrums lol

E: eagerly awaiting how I can redo my riptide/cartesian/1kv solar warlock build with the new mods, but if they're removing the weapon ammo finders instead of just adding to them that'll be sad. And give me a heavy trace rifle and legendary kinetic slot one so that can be goofy too.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Black Griffon posted:

Everyone's just talking about theoreticals here though, right? No one actually knows how any of this is gonna turn out?

The last time the leadup to an expansion release was this full of pointless changes instead of actual content we got shadowkeep.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Panderfringe posted:

The last time the leadup to an expansion release was this full of pointless changes instead of actual content we got shadowkeep.

I didn't play that until I picked it up at the same time as Beyond Light, so I wouldn't know. Blissful ignorance keeps winning.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Is there a short list anywhere of the good guns that are being vaulted? And/or exotics which are losing their quests or otherwise becoming a pain in the rear end to obtain

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Gadzuko posted:

Is there a short list anywhere of the good guns that are being vaulted? And/or exotics which are losing their quests or otherwise becoming a pain in the rear end to obtain

The most notable guns being vaulted are all available in the HELM right now from seasonal content. If you start right now, today, you can guarantee one gun from each season by spending some seasonal currency and an umbral every day until the servers shut down, because the guaranteed deepsight refreshes daily for each seasonal vendor. Anything past that you will need to grind for.

As such, my recommended picks would be as follows:

Season of the Risen: Explosive Personality, solar wave frame GL
Season of the Haunted: Calus Mini-tool, solar SMG
Season of Plunder: Tarnished Mettle, arc Scout Rifle
Season of the Seraph: Ikelos SMG 3.0, arc SMG

If you want some justification for these picks: EP is the only solar wave frame in the game right now so it wins for uniqueness. Calus Mini-tool and Ikelos SMG synergize very well with solar and arc subclasses because of their perk selection. Tarnished Mettle is basically the best of a whole lot of nothing from that season.

If you are resource starved for umbrals or currency I would probably prioritize those as Seraph > Haunted > Risen > Plunder. Other guns that are pretty good:

Risen: Bow, Auto Rifle, Sniper Rifle
Haunted: Rocket Launcher, Hand Cannon, Sidearm, Sniper Rifle
Plunder: Sidearm, Shotgun
Seraph: Linear Fusion Rifle, Pulse Rifle, Glaive, Trace Rifle

Special note for the above: the Season of the Haunted rocket launcher is a very good archetype that rolls with Demolitionist and can be crafted to guarantee that. It's a very solid boss DPS option and if you lack any other good boss DPS weapons you may want to focus that over Calus Mini-Tool.

The most notable exotic that's going away is Revision Zero, a 4-burst exotic kinetic pulse rifle with native anti-barrier. It's exotic perk is twofold - precision hits build a gauge that lets you load some higher-damage sniper rounds, and it can be upgraded and the final perk selection changed from the crafting table. RZ should show up in the Tower kiosk during Lightfall, but probably not the catalysts or additional features. It's pretty new, so no one knows how it works.

If you're looking to do Revision Zero's quest before the season ends, the fastest route is as follows:

1. Play the entire Seraph storyline until you have all four parts to the quest in your quest log. They used to release one per week, now you can get them all at once.

2. Do all the initial steps for each quest. They are always - go to a planet, shoot some poo poo, do a lost sector, examine a thing at the end.

3. Once all four quests are at the step that tells you to do a Legend mode version of Seraph Station, go do that. Ask for help in the discord if you don't want to solo. Grab a guide, as there are four exo bodies to scan in the mission. Scan all four, complete the mission, it will complete all quests at the same time in a single run.

4. At this point you should be done but when I did this, it glitched and I needed to do a normal version of Seraph Station again to unlock the final crafting option for the gun.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

Everyone's just talking about theoreticals here though, right? No one actually knows how any of this is gonna turn out?

We’ve been at this for a 10 years bruh

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

We’ve been at this for a 10 years bruh

this mf played destiny 0

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Like, your average dedicated destiny player has more built up knowledge about what works and what doesn’t than most devs at Bungie lol

And I don’t want to hear about whatever internal limitations exist for making decisions or changes, that poo poo matters literally not at all from a “what is good gameplay” perspective

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

this mf played destiny 0

You could say I’m a D1 Alpha Vet

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

this mf played destiny 0

It’s called Halo 3.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Like, your average dedicated destiny player has more built up knowledge about what works and what doesn’t than most devs at Bungie lol

And I don’t want to hear about whatever internal limitations exist for making decisions or changes, that poo poo matters literally not at all from a “what is good gameplay” perspective

ah yes, but have you considered increasing engagement metrics and keeping the game fresh for the streamer community?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

You could say I’m a D1 Alpha Vet

Alright, you win this one

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Meiteron posted:

1. Play the entire Seraph storyline until you have all four parts to the quest in your quest log. They used to release one per week, now you can get them all at once.

2. Do all the initial steps for each quest. They are always - go to a planet, shoot some poo poo, do a lost sector, examine a thing at the end.

3. Once all four quests are at the step that tells you to do a Legend mode version of Seraph Station, go do that. Ask for help in the discord if you don't want to solo. Grab a guide, as there are four exo bodies to scan in the mission. Scan all four, complete the mission, it will complete all quests at the same time in a single run.

4. At this point you should be done but when I did this, it glitched and I needed to do a normal version of Seraph Station again to unlock the final crafting option for the gun.

I'm a bad player and I managed to solo Legendary Seraph Shield for all four catalysts yesterday, it wasn't all that bad. I have decent gear though, someone without masterworked equipment/optimized mods and meta guns might need a carry.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are my 3 strikes still going to give me a +1 Pinnacle

No.
Can we interest you in 250 glimmer and 3 shards instead?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

PathAsc posted:

Goddammit I'll be happy if the 1kv changes are badass, I loved dps phases with it. It's still awesome for shooting mans and giving with people behind cover or invaders in gambit. Also bring back the bug where it screamed and broke eardrums lol

E: eagerly awaiting how I can redo my riptide/cartesian/1kv solar warlock build with the new mods, but if they're removing the weapon ammo finders instead of just adding to them that'll be sad. And give me a heavy trace rifle and legendary kinetic slot one so that can be goofy too.

I dont think 1kv will be a boss dps weapon. It seems like it will be very good on paper but the ability to kill yourself with it hampers it's utility. Sleeper seems similarly poised to be a good option for dps but doesn't suffer from the "oops i'm dead for this whole dps phase" problem that 1kv does.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

RocketRaygun posted:

Sleeper seems similarly poised to be a good option for dps but doesn't suffer from the "oops i'm dead for this whole dps phase" problem that 1kv does.

Do we really have to post it for the 69,420th time???

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

LF Spoilers

Witness opens up the traveler, decimals now intruded to power level. Seasonal artifacts replace ghosts and can only be leveled by playing content from previous season storylines in chronological order. Mercury is back, can use sparrows there now, no sparrows or sprinting on all other planets though. Eramis finds third darkness power: rusty hamster wheel. PvP replaced with 69 dimensional chess, ELO no longer tracked, Shaxx voiced by Nolan North now. Ada knits Hawthorn bird a sweater, you can romance bird in hatoful boyfriend mini game. Winning mini game unlocks stuffed bird in bungie store that costs 2k and ships directly to you after all the world first raid belts get delivered from past DLC (never).

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

RocketRaygun posted:

I dont think 1kv will be a boss dps weapon. It seems like it will be very good on paper but the ability to kill yourself with it hampers it's utility. Sleeper seems similarly poised to be a good option for dps but doesn't suffer from the "oops i'm dead for this whole dps phase" problem that 1kv does.

Self-owns with Sleeper are possible, but with the upside of being hilarious instead of annoying.

1KV will definitely be better post-LF, with utility vs champs and ignitions for added DPS. I'm not sure if ignitions have a timeout per-enemy, but the explosion can do pretty decent damage (does anyone have #'s for this? I sorta assume it scales based on enemy HP/category or may be just a % of health). Really want to see if a couple shots from 1KV can wipe out all the boss knights at the end of shattered throne similar to fusion grenades right now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RocketRaygun posted:

I know, but it would be nice if it were competitive at least. It was so goddamn good before.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

PathAsc posted:

LF Spoilers

Witness opens up the traveler, decimals now intruded to power level. Seasonal artifacts replace ghosts and can only be leveled by playing content from previous season storylines in chronological order. Mercury is back, can use sparrows there now, no sparrows or sprinting on all other planets though. Eramis finds third darkness power: rusty hamster wheel. PvP replaced with 69 dimensional chess, ELO no longer tracked, Shaxx voiced by Nolan North now. Ada knits Hawthorn bird a sweater, you can romance bird in hatoful boyfriend mini game. Winning mini game unlocks stuffed bird in bungie store that costs 2k and ships directly to you after all the world first raid belts get delivered from past DLC (never).

What'd you feed chatGPT to get this out?

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Add a competetive card game to D2, something trickier than Pazaak but less intense than Tetra Master.

Note: This thought came into my head when thinking about earning Pazaak card drops to D2, with a +/- 5 combo card having a .001% universal drop rate from any kill.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Forward_Bee posted:

Add a competetive card game to D2, something trickier than Pazaak but less intense than Tetra Master.

Note: This thought came into my head when thinking about earning Pazaak card drops to D2, with a +/- 5 combo card having a .001% universal drop rate from any kill.

Triple Triad with different rules on each destination

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Triple Triad with different rules on each destination

Now you're talking.

I'm also imaging a tower defense mode for D2 in the vein of the Sanctum series.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am once again asking what exactly do you want out of this game. Or any game for that matter.
Given that it's a game that literally places guns as its chosen reward, I want to be able to use those guns without the game strongarming me instead into using one of two or three specific guns for 3 months.

What I want is fun, I'm not sure how that is a controversial take.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I'm looking forward to the power capping for master raids because that means my raid team can go back and clear raids that we didn't get to do during contest mode, either because we just didn't get the clear, or because my team didn't exist yet. Just for the satisfaction of doing it, not for the grind for adept weapons. And it's finally a way to practice for the power delta of contest mode instead of having to gently caress around with underpowering ourselves.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all realise Surges are in the game, right now? Like, in Nightfalls even. Warden of Nothing has Acute Solar Burn as a modifier right now. Like, I'm looking right at Master and Grandmasters and they both have Acute Solar Burn. So in Nightfalls and Grandmasters get +25% to all Solar damage, including if they run Solar as their subclass.

Why have I never heard people complain about this and mention how this forces you to run solar in Nightfalls and Grandmasters? Grandmasters are already -25 delta so this means literally everyone runs Solar because why would you do 25% less damage right? Literally no one has run this Nightfall not as Solar, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Given that it's a game that literally places guns as its chosen reward, I want to be able to use those guns without the game strongarming me instead into using one of two or three specific guns for 3 months.

I’m beginning to think you don’t actually play destiny. Actually let me guess, you REALLY liked Destiny 2 year 1, didn’t you?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't know why people want the spike/explosive light combo so much. GL impact/blast damage ratio scales with blast radius, explosive light sets maximum blast radius, so spike do the minimum possible damage

You care more about the impact damage. Even with explosive light you still deal at least 7.5% more damage. Nothing else in that slot increases damage. It's not a big deal, use what you want. Just letting people know before they get yelled at for using proximity nades on a heavy by randoms.

syntaxfunction posted:

Y'all realise Surges are in the game, right now? Like, in Nightfalls even. Warden of Nothing has Acute Solar Burn as a modifier right now. Like, I'm looking right at Master and Grandmasters and they both have Acute Solar Burn. So in Nightfalls and Grandmasters get +25% to all Solar damage, including if they run Solar as their subclass.

Why have I never heard people complain about this and mention how this forces you to run solar in Nightfalls and Grandmasters? Grandmasters are already -25 delta so this means literally everyone runs Solar because why would you do 25% less damage right? Literally no one has run this Nightfall not as Solar, right?

That's limited to just those. These new changes impact the entire game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBX posted:

You care more about the impact damage. Even with explosive light you still deal at least 7.5% more damage. Nothing else in that slot increases damage. It's not a big deal, use what you want. Just letting people know before they get yelled at for using proximity nades on a heavy by randoms.

Don’t all vanguard activites have surges? Like that’s how you get the pinnacle doing strikes? You do 3 strikes with the element burn?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m beginning to think you don’t actually play destiny. Actually let me guess, you REALLY liked Destiny 2 year 1, didn’t you?
Calm down, I like playing it, i'm just not fond of the bullshit I have to do before playing it. Bullshit which doesn't have to be there, and they just wrote a whole article about adding more of.

Shooting mans with cool guns and then blowing them up with space magic is fun. Having to work out which guns allow me to do because I switched activities is not.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I highly doubt surges will affect anything outside of master raids and dungeons. The number crunching on master raids puts playing with surges at around 10% more difficult than contest, so removing the surge increases that. Contest already requires maximal DPS and DPS windows (you almost always go to enrage in contest mode), so making those even harder will require some serious buildcrafting and utilizing every benefit you have available to you to complete encounters.

I do not think this will be the case literally anywhere else. You don't need to think about surges, burns, and damage buff stacking in heist battlegrounds, for example (which use this same system).

EDIT: For example, the current week GM NF has a 25% increase in solar damage. We've been running around a dozen farming sessions a day in Overchill and nobody has build crafted around utilizing that Solar damage increase. If that's not relevant right now, it certainly wont be relevant in lesser difficulty content in the future.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 22, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

That doesn't explain why no one has ever complained about it? I've never heard complaints of being forced into subclasses in GMs? So, if it has been a complete non issue for years (!) why would it suddenly be a thing now?

You're literally giving up 25% extra damage if you don't run Solar, right now. If this is gonna be a huge issue then it already is a huge issue but surprisingly no one has said anything.

Maybe, just maybe, people are overreacting before they even see how it works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Calm down, I like playing it, i'm just not fond of the bullshit I have to do before playing it. Bullshit which doesn't have to be there, and they just wrote a whole article about adding more of.

Shooting mans with cool guns and then blowing them up with space magic is fun. Having to work out which guns allow me to do because I switched activities is not.

Again, the more you write the more it sounds like you just genuinely don’t play Destiny because “bullshit you have to do” describes… SO MUCH of this game. Crafting? Seasonal activites? Exotic quests? What ISNT bullshit you have to do in this game.

You are so hyper focused on just guns I feel you’re missing the actual game in this game which is the ability / power play for which guns are secondary at best.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Having these factors gives you more reason to use specific guns rather then leaning on a tiny pool of ultra-meta guns.

As much as I'd love to use Witherhoard/Ikelos/Taipan constantly, I can't fault the game for using a few "strong arm" factors to force me to use something different once in awhile. Once in awhile I find new guns I like because of it.

I agree this has the potential to be frustrating if you feel too restricted by the balancing factors, but it sounds like a big goal of the system is to be less restrictive then the existing nature of match game & champion counters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

syntaxfunction posted:

(First and foremost because none of this is true. People can and do run a Not-The-Burn Subclass for GMs all the time. People complain about about the Nightfall Loadout Mechanics literally all the time, IMHO. You probably just don't notice it anymore? The 'Orbit Loadout Puzzle' of covering burn/shields/champs is the subject of much discussion. Recently, for example, people were widely celebrating that champions can be stunned with more sources & that match game is going away.)

As for why you're noticing a lot of new discussion on the mechanics - Nobody cares that GMs are staying the same. People are now being vocal because they don't like that other content is becoming GMs. The tedium is spreading to other modes that are a much larger commitment than a quick 15-20 minute adventure.

Nightfalls also rotate weekly unlike these Surge Overcharge whatevers which are for a full season. "I gotta use Arby's/Ikelos/Hothead for the GM activity this week" is very different from "Enormous swaths of the game will require Strand & Swords this whole season"

Another big difference between Nightfalls and Raids is that Doing Less DPS in a nightfall is very different from Doing Less DPS in a Raid. Caretaker, Atraks, and Warpriest for example are wildly different encounters if you have low damage vs high damage. So nightfalls don't 'force' you into it while raids do

That's my read on it, anyway. Destiny attracts a wide variety of players so some people's primary objection might be that their fashion is ruined by the system or something!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 22, 2023

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

As much as I'd love to use Witherhoard/Ikelos/Taipan constantly, I can't fault the game for using a few "strong arm" factors to force me to use something different once in awhile. Once in awhile I find new guns I like because of it.

I can. Turns out I really enjoy using those guns (I can take or leave Taipan). Let me just use them instead of having to use Arbalest whenever I want to heist :argh:

I really just hate champion mods though. I've never really worried about playing around burns, even in GMs. Those just require me to switch up resist mods. Storm 'nades and HOIL already make up for my damage even if something isn't arc burn.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Other content isn't becoming GMs tho? Content mentioned are things like Empire Hunts and Wellspring, which are being power boosted essentially, something that is sorely needed, and then they're adding a gently caress tonne of ways to get buffs to a lot of different things. That's not becoming a GM at all. That's raising the baseline difficulty and adding boosts to things.

I really don't think doing a Nightfall at -5 on Heroic is a new GM. The same as as long as you got the basic anti-champ stuff Heists don't need much thought in loadout. Raids are probably the only thing that I can see as seeing a genuine effect, and I have complete faith in those minmaxers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lethrom posted:

I really just hate champion mods though. I've never really worried about playing around burns, even in GMs. Those just require me to switch up resist mods. Storm 'nades and HOIL already make up for my damage even if something isn't arc burn.

Take your pick

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As for why you're noticing a lot of new discussion on the mechanics - Nobody cares that GMs are staying the same. People are now being vocal because they don't like that other content is becoming GMs.

Nothing is becoming GMs. Heist BGs were not a problem and that's the system they are using. You can still autopilot through them if you have any ounce of ability to play this game. It's only trouble for people who literally don't put mods in sockets on their armors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lethrom posted:

I can. Turns out I really enjoy using those guns (I can take or leave Taipan). Let me just use them instead of having to use Arbalest whenever I want to heist :argh:

Then just embrace your inner pubbie and ignore all buildcraft. No-one can stop you.