Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I just unlocked the ability to have two specs at once and my guardian basically just shits out explosions and flames every single attack now?

this rules? absolutely amazing. why on earth did I start this game 10 years ago as a mesmer and not a guardian? no idea.

firebrand is the most overpowered spec in the game because it does almost everything

and what it doesn't do, it doesn't have to, because your group is bringing one anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But guardian is a paladin and paladins are BOOOORIIIIIING

*disappears in a cloud of butterflies, laughing*

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I just unlocked the ability to have two specs at once and my guardian basically just shits out explosions and flames every single attack now?

this rules? absolutely amazing. why on earth did I start this game 10 years ago as a mesmer and not a guardian? no idea.

If you love crapping out flames, give Willbender a shot once you buy End of Dragons and hit level 80. Your F1 turns into a even more powerful and aggressive version that heavily incentivizes attacking as many times as possible for even more burning.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meeko posted:

If you love crapping out flames, give Willbender a shot once you buy End of Dragons and hit level 80. Your F1 turns into a even more powerful and aggressive version that heavily incentivizes attacking as many times as possible for even more burning.

yeah end of dragons is sadly the one expansion i havent pick up over the years but that that playstyle does sound like it owns

i'm assuming I can use dragonhunter and firebrand when I hit 80 as I am, or do I actually have to do expansion stuff to use them?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

yeah end of dragons is sadly the one expansion i havent pick up over the years but that that playstyle does sound like it owns

i'm assuming I can use dragonhunter and firebrand when I hit 80 as I am, or do I actually have to do expansion stuff to use them?

You'll need to do a bunch of HoT/PoF hero points to unlock the specs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
well..you COULD get it with core tyria HPs but given that each node is 10, 15 or so points is like..yeah

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was looking to get back in doing some WvW with my mesmer, since I always struggled a lot with my warrior. The top build is celestial, though, and every piece of armor is quite expensive. I might have a few surprlus select-your-stats pieces and jewellery around, but I'd need to rack up some gold for a full kit, so I didn't go through with it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wouldn’t worry about minmaxing your WvW gear right away. Just get whatever Cele pieces are easy and substitute the rest with something cheaper while you try it out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TeaJay posted:

I was looking to get back in doing some WvW with my mesmer, since I always struggled a lot with my warrior. The top build is celestial, though, and every piece of armor is quite expensive. I might have a few surprlus select-your-stats pieces and jewellery around, but I'd need to rack up some gold for a full kit, so I didn't go through with it.

If you want some easy stat selectable armor, go play around in Verdant Brink for a while. Bladed Armor boxes cost 1g and some zone currency, and if you have a flying mount it’s a breeze to get around and do events and open airship cargos. You can stack the jade bot offensive/defensive buffs from EoD content for a few hours and go obliterate everything.

Keep in mind for WvW stuff as well that the rewards currently heavily favor tagging everything in sight on offense and repairing walls on defense. iirc the top Mesmer build is a support Chrono with no ranged to it, which is extremely useful for organized play but will probably give you a bad time if you’re just pugging and not able to tag kills easily.

Something with strong 1200 ranged and melee capabilities like hammer/sword herald, staff/axe reaper, rifle holo or even longbow/GS berserker might treat you better if you’re still learning. I never play Mesmer so I don’t have good class advice, but Herald in particular is my go-to recommendation. Super simple, surprisingly resilient in all berserkers, and some nice boon support on top.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I used to play a lot of WvW with my warrior (to 1085 / Silver Major), both zergs and 1v1s, but I always felt very mediocre. I've since done some PvP on my necro, but basically all content in the last few years I've been playing on my mesmer so I thought I'd look something up. You're definitely correct that for zerging and tagging mesmer is likely a bad choice. I'll check out what kind of gear my revenant has for the herald build, since it's never been one of my most used character.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Shiro/Jalis renegade is also a great roamer but alas, it's also celestial. As has been pointed out above, learn to love verdant brink!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Or just play enough WvW to get the free stat-selectable Warlord’s armor

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

whydirt posted:

Or just play enough WvW to get the free stat-selectable Warlord’s armor

I was going to say this. You get a stat select exotic any armor piece you like for finishing bronze tier each week. Over time you’ll end up with a bunch of them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That must be new since I got some from doing PvP but haven't got it from when I was doing WvW

quote:

This armor was introduced in the February 25, 2020 update.

Yep, too new for me

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
PvP season tracks or whatever they are called also award these, so you can double tap.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

You can make a competent roamer on every class with Berserker/Marauder gear. Its generally a bit harder to pull off than Celestial builds due to the added healing/toughness, but its a lot cheaper and works well for zerg-surfing while getting your feet wet while you work on those selectable stat armour.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm working my way through map completion again and I'm noticing a pattern with Asuran areas. We keep stumbling on the mouse goblins doing some kind of archeology, usually on other Asuran ruins. Which naturally gets me thinking about the Asuran civilization cycle:

1. be scientist at Rata A
2. come up with experiment that's really dangerous or dumb
3. Rata A is not cool with your experiment
4. Take your buddies and leave to make your own place, Rata B
5. Experiment fails, everyone at Rata B dies
6. Decades or centuries later, someone from Rata A finally makes it over to Rata B
7. A scientist explores Rata B and learn how to not die like Rata B
8. See step 2

They ought to just like, email each other more.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given the supposed age of current Tyrian civilization that cycle happens like, what every thirty years at most? They might just be brilliant idiots.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Does that describe the Inquest? I'm still confused as to how they are part of all of this. I assumed they were just asura who weren't gonna follow your rules, man, but in the asura newbie quest they show up just outside Rata Sum to enter a science fair and people are cool with that. I thought they were just a splinter group that believed in, uh, "ethics-free science". So they're the bad guys but have somehow spread to more than rival Rata Sum and the only limit to their reach is that they unfortunately like to stand in between the PC and quest completion.

Also experiencing incarnations of Gorrik in EoD first where he's just an awkward science schlub and then going back to LS4 where he's clearly still evil is narrative whiplash. We murder like a hundred scientists doing the same thing but Taimi pinkie swears this one is different so we don't whack him and he just immediately starts talking like a sociopath anyway. I don't know what happens in IBS but it's pretty much two different characters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hot take - GW1 already had enough interesting races and the Asura and Sylvari make the game worse due to their inclusion.

I am especially not a fan of the “short race made up of megalomaniacal mad scientists” schtick.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like Sylvari, but yeah Asura suck. Sylvari's inclusion honestly is a great "new world who dis" experience, as it's clearly the preferred player character race from vanilla through HOT.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can accept Sylvari more than Asura since Sylvari are specifically a baby race. Asura having this long secret history of future science and stuff is loving lame. They basically made a race that is a combo of WoW gnomes and goblins. They suck so loving much.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Asura did show up in Eye of the North, so they're not really new (they are vastly expanded upon, but then again so are Charr and Norn).

They're not very interesting to me independent of that though. If anything they're a bit of a disappointment, they've kept the weird aloof science guy thing but they're so baked into Tyria that they don't really have a reason to be like that and they're just annoying assholes hanging around everywhere causing problems. Some of the "new to the rest of the world" stuff was rolled into the Sylvari but it would've been nice to have them feel less like "what if the other races except deeply unlikeable?"

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mailer posted:

Does that describe the Inquest? I'm still confused as to how they are part of all of this. I assumed they were just asura who weren't gonna follow your rules, man, but in the asura newbie quest they show up just outside Rata Sum to enter a science fair and people are cool with that. I thought they were just a splinter group that believed in, uh, "ethics-free science". So they're the bad guys but have somehow spread to more than rival Rata Sum and the only limit to their reach is that they unfortunately like to stand in between the PC and quest completion.

My understanding is that Rata Sum operates like Silicon Valley; it's run by angel investors and techbros. Krewes are just startups where the CEO is a true believer in their science products, not just grifters. Krewes are members/graduates of the 3 colleges in Rata Sum. The Inquest is just the biggest for-profit Krewe in Rata Sum who help finance experiments that the colleges might not be willing to fund or go along with, like using Sylvari as living batteries.

The Consortium is similar to the Inquest, but that was started by Asurans who went 100% venture capitalists and realized they could integrate their business with the other races to get even more power / wealth.

Mailer posted:

GORRIK SPOILER ZONE

Gorrik was Inquest. Thats how we run into him, hes doing Inquest bs with his brother Blish. Don't forget that Blish performed an experiment on himself to transfer his brain to an immortal robot body. If it wasn't a cute little twink golem but instead some kind of monster golem, he'd be a strike boss fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Asura are cool because they're the tiny baby race in an MMO and instead of being loli bait, they are disgusting gremlins that might blow up the planet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Asura really should have been a "off-screen" style cabal of super scientists or something. They're too specific of a cultural template, and none of it jives well with "I am a nature-aspected fighter with axes and torches" or "I get mega angry and bash dudes" and definitely not "I have faith in the gods and am a conduit for their bullshit"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

asura are good and if one race had to go I'd keep them rather than "human 2 but bigger"

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
The thematic divide makes sense. Asura npcs are (mostly) scientists deep in the college to krewe to blowing themselves up career path. There's still soldiers and blue collars in the city, mostly behind closed doors or replaced by golems. A few npcs and the vast majority of player character asura have left Rata Sum and wandered out into the world to do something else, like get seriously disrespected on other continents as ex-Commander.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kirbysuperstar posted:

asura are good and if one race had to go I'd keep them rather than "human 2 but bigger"

This. Like I hate Charr because everything but pretty much recreating Rytlock looks awful, but at least they're interesting with their own flavor. If I could eliminate anything it'd be baseline human. Make them NPCs and everyone hates them.

Asura have the best animations and everyone has to look down when addressing me as Commander, so that right there wins the prize for best race. Asura Guardian, Asura Revenant, and a giant fuckoff Norn for the flashy pink Mesmer class.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I play Asura and you're hurting my feelings :(

Look at the way we hold greatswords!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Hot take - GW1 already had enough interesting races and the Asura and Sylvari make the game worse due to their inclusion.

I am especially not a fan of the “short race made up of megalomaniacal mad scientists” schtick.

The Sylvari rule though, the idea of a plant race with aesthetics actually based on plant anatomy is really rad

I don't like the Asura though they do have excellent animations

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Asura are just a more creative replacement for the copy-paste generic dwarves (short, cave-dwelling, industrious, low charisma), I don't think it's any coincidence that EotN also had all the remaining dwarves decide to go into hell to fight Satan forever.
Similarly Sylvari are the fey nature attuned humanoid analogue for elves, which was more overt earlier in development.
Charr are orcs, they don't exist outside of Ascalon and never speak until EotN. Before that they were just barely intelligent enough to field an organized force, but not enough that you'd question making armor out of their hides.
I got nothing for Norn besides maybe they wanted to have 'humans' with a less standard medieval European theme, but figured you can't make an mmo without them and kept both.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hosed up that you can't be a tengu or domme shark

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Sylvari redesign in development was the best thing that could've happened with them. They went from pretty standard wood elves to something much, much more fun

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We need playable centaurs that say "I could outrun a human."

and playable quaggan. Foo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Norn were cool shapeshifters based on vikings and were a lot cooler when they actually shapeshifted and behaved like vikings instead of just Big Human.

Isn't Braham pretty small? Eir was just A Ranger.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So what I'm gathering from all of this is that GW2 took everything that made GW1 cool and then made those things worse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordiceius posted:

So what I'm gathering from all of this is that GW2 took everything that made GW1 cool and then made those things worse.

Almost-- GW1 had a cool and robust system for customizing your NPC companions and GW2 refuses to, at least, let me have a SWTOR style buddy.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Sylvari are the coolest race in the game and I like the charr a lot even if they have like 1 good hairstyle and aren't anything like in GW1. I'd like Asura more if they weren't only brought in to say some nonsense and then solve whatever problem for us or alternatively just be the biggest gently caress ups possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

I stopped playing GW2 during Heart of Thorns because I really hated all those new maps very very much, but I'm thinking about coming back now since there is a lot of new content. I was hopng for some deal too but it didn't happen, will have to pay full price, $ 50 for the 2 last expansions, I hope it is worth it.

Which one you like most Path of Fire or End of Dragons?

Too bad I can't link my account to Steam, would need to create a new one and losing everything I grinded so far is not a good option.

Hachiman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 23, 2023