Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Should've known we'd be Spy Planing the Spy Balloon, but holy poo poo this is one hell of a picture:

https://twitter.com/ValerioCNN/status/1628496075828113408?t=MOYh720fnHU1XeXctI9tqg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno what I was expecting, but satellite strapped to balloon wasn't it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The shadow sells it. Wonder if they sent up the two seater to get some close-ups. I seem to recall the U-2 is basically on a stall/overspeed knife-edge up there which probably means the pilot is pretty busy when flying manually.

Arcella posted:

Set to footage from Africa, Addio! A fascinating and terribly racist movie.

Oh man, I saw that a few years ago and that about sums it up. Are there any good non-racost docs on that period? IMO the value of that film is in getting some of the footage they did on the record and it's a shame it's packaged so grossly.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A fun easy to consume popular history on the Stanleyville Crisis is 'Save the Hostages!' A contemporary piece published in paperback by Readers Digest, largely detailing broadstrokes. Mad Mike makes an appearance, as do the Belgians, and CIA air assets.

It also has some fair coverage on some of the culture of the Simba/Banta fighters.
It suffers from some period racism, but it is largely lacking the expected grossness.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Should've known we'd be Spy Planing the Spy Balloon, but holy poo poo this is one hell of a picture:

U-2 and balloon recon. what century is this?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I honestly didn't know they still flew u2s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

All the time. Used to see them land and take off from Qatar when I was there. They still use them for Signals recon and Photo recon.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
local news, but cool how this keeps happening

quote:

School police recovered four firearms Tuesday at three different Clark County schools leading to multiple arrests.

Two firearms were recovered at Eldorado High School from two students at around 8 a.m., according to Clark County School District Police Department Lt. Bryan Zink.

Another firearm was recovered at Mojave High School later Tuesday morning, Zink said, after a family member reported that a firearm had been stolen from their home.

At Edmundo “Eddie” Escobedo Sr. Middle School, staff turned over a firearm to school police. Zink said in all four instances, an arrest was made on suspicion of a minor being in possession of a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon, and possession of a dangerous weapon on school property.

can't wait for my hometown to be another news article when someone slips through.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Milo and POTUS posted:

These airframes were built in the 1980s, so at least they're not the original birds.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Watched a Dragon Lady taking off from Suwon while Osan's strip was being redone, that poo poo was incredibly anxiety-inducing. The minimum take-off speed has to be something hysterically low, because I swore that thing was going to fall out of the sky onto some poor bastards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Watched a Dragon Lady taking off from Suwon while Osan's strip was being redone, that poo poo was incredibly anxiety-inducing. The minimum take-off speed has to be something hysterically low, because I swore that thing was going to fall out of the sky onto some poor bastards.

Its crazy watching them take off and then fly....almost straight up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I love that they take off with wheel-stilts that just fall away and get picked up on the side of the runway, and then land by touching down on a car.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bird food bathtub posted:

I love that they take off with wheel-stilts that just fall away and get picked up on the side of the runway, and then land by touching down on a car.

They don't land on the car.

The car talks them down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

The car talks them down.

Oh you're right, they have replaceable titanium skid plates on the wing tips that just sort of crash on to the flight line after their...."landing".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

The car talks them down.

You can't say that and not post the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Apparently Steve Bannon doesn't pay his bills either:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-bannons-lawyer-sues-him-over-unpaid-bills

quote:

After initially scrambling to counter a Daily Beast story that he wasn’t paying his lawyers, the notorious right-wing media personality Steve Bannon has been sued for owing a single New York attorney a whopping $480,487.

On Friday, the Manhattan firm of Davidoff Hutcher & Citron took the rare step of suing its former client over unpaid bills for a mountain of work a lawyer did defending him for two years against Congress, the feds, and a local district attorney.

On top of the half million dollars he allegedly owes, the firm is now asking that a New York judge force Bannon to pay interest—plus the cost of the lawyer who filed this lawsuit.

The firm says it “performed various legal services for [Bannon] in a competent and professional manner” and deserves to get paid for it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What'd he say he was gonna pick up lunch? Lol at "whopping" cause an NYC law firm can rack up much faster than that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/ValerioCNN/status/1628496075828113408?t=MOYh720fnHU1XeXctI9tqg&s=19

Finally, confirmation the balloon used Apple hardware.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Another angle:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Platystemon posted:

Another angle:

with the amount of hot air he has in him, theres no way bonor would ever be lower than any balloon

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

My Spirit Otter posted:

with the amount of hot air he has in him, theres no way bonor would ever be lower than any balloon

He’s being magnetically attracted to the balloon because the balloon uses Apple hardware.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While it is kind of funny that people got MAD about free U2 on their phones, it was also not great to have your music/voice synonymous with "my Apple product just hosed up" since it would default to the U2 album when it really didn't know what you wanted it to resume.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh for fucks sake nature you just loving slammed them, at least let them dig their homes out

quote:

Hawke’s Bay residents are being advised to have an evacuation plan in place and to check for any risks around their homes as more heavy rain is forecast for the already cyclone-sodden region.

MetService has issued an orange heavy rain warning for Hawke’s Bay saying it has “grave concerns” given the already vulnerable terrain. From now until Saturday morning, areas in the region can expect 150 to 200mm of rain to fall.

The heaviest falls are likely from 3pm Friday, with peak rates of 20 to 30mm an hour possible.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/1313...-grave-concerns

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

While it is kind of funny that people got MAD about free U2 on their phones, it was also not great to have your music/voice synonymous with "my Apple product just hosed up" since it would default to the U2 album when it really didn't know what you wanted it to resume.

It also tried downloading the album automatically, filling peoples' phones without their knowledge.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The first flight of the U2 happened on what was just supposed to be a high speed taxi test.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

The first flight of the U2 happened on what was just supposed to be a high speed taxi test.

"Uh. Oops."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The word of the day is fraud. Fraudy fraudy fraud FRAUD FRAUD fraud. Like if the crimes crimes tweet actually just said fraud a whole lot.

https://twitter.com/fanellijames/status/1628780829143977988?t=pOuLiHOpicFsrnx8NCcWeA&s=19

when a really dumb media org was so dumb it was criminal

Edit: this was the weird meeting where someone on the line claimed to be a Google bigwig, who was just a scammer dude that worked for Ozy and pleaded out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/26/business/media/ozy-media-goldman-sachs.html

https://twitter.com/spreekaway/status/1628774996125286400?t=bPQ7TFioJ_j3qi5_A3FjOA&s=19

"woke poo poo for transactional purposes"

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 23, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So all of this AI poo poo is basically just rebranded chatbots, but you very much shouldn't rely on voice passwords anymore, apparently!

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628798416754032643?t=bDU1QwXLdaCsFi4i3XJXmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628802287698329601?t=7iz-L_gFaQLs-dxMjG9FEQ&s=19

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Truly, my voice is my passport.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

So all of this AI poo poo is basically just rebranded chatbots, but you very much shouldn't rely on voice passwords anymore, apparently!

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628798416754032643?t=bDU1QwXLdaCsFi4i3XJXmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628802287698329601?t=7iz-L_gFaQLs-dxMjG9FEQ&s=19

Ha!

The other day the wife asked if it would be better to use a voice ID. I told her to just keep using the multi factor we are currently using. Glad I made the right choice.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Ha!

The other day the wife asked if it would be better to use a voice ID. I told her to just keep using the multi factor we are currently using. Glad I made the right choice.

So what I'm getting is that my bank account is far less secure than AT&T internet.

I had my internet go out and the accounts under my roommate so I tried getting ATT to tell me if they had an unidentified outage by pretending to be my friend and they gave me the sixth degree about needing pins, recovery hints, or if I had access to the phone associated to my account.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ASAPI posted:

Ha!

MFA for anything and everything that I can.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

So what I'm getting is that my bank account is far less secure than AT&T internet.

I had my internet go out and the accounts under my roommate so I tried getting ATT to tell me if they had an unidentified outage by pretending to be my friend and they gave me the sixth degree about needing pins, recovery hints, or if I had access to the phone associated to my account.

There was a Darknet Diaries episode about something like that, where a guy had a valuable Instagram handle and was being targeted for SIM swapping so he went into his phone company store and tried to get them to make it as hard as possible for someone pretending to be him to reset his password. Spoiler: didn’t work

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Elon went "I'm making you pay for text MFA..." and tech twitter went YAAAAY AUTHENTICATORS ARE BETTER, USE THOSE PLEASE

Then Elon went "... or we deactivate your MFA and you may lose access to your account" and tech twitter went WHAT

Edit: holy poo poo people are good at geolocation

https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status/1628776107301273601?t=2Kwh700lPYPqScvgVu2Pfg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 23, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Defenestrategy posted:

Banks in general tend to be woefully insecure online; stories abound of websites that have password requirements with fun features such as

- 8 to 16 characters (yes, upper bound)
- no funny symbols like !, @, and especially %
- helpful "security questions" based on easily looked up things

on the other hand, you end up with websites like my local utility, southwest gas, where they decided that pasting into the password form is not allowed. every time i try to log in i have to open chrome's dev tools to fix it so i can paste in from my password manager. :suicide:

the worst thing is that AI/ML poo poo is everywhere and increasingly being used in places it really, really should not be, as an alternative to just paying people.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Woodchip posted:

Truly, my voice is my passport.

Verify me

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was a Darknet Diaries episode about something like that, where a guy had a valuable Instagram handle and was being targeted for SIM swapping so he went into his phone company store and tried to get them to make it as hard as possible for someone pretending to be him to reset his password. Spoiler: didn’t work

I use my Google Voice number for everything MFA so that way I can’t be SIM swapped.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

- no funny symbols like !, @, and especially %

Old Oracle systems have the worst requirements. You can use some symbols, but not others because the database doesn't support them. Good luck guessing which ones!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Old Oracle systems have the worst requirements. You can use some symbols, but not others because the database doesn't support them. Good luck guessing which ones!

Its also a good indicator their password system isn't doing proper hashing, which isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its also a good indicator their password system isn't doing proper hashing, which isn't great.

It's this, if there's any restrictions on passwords besides "must be this long, minimum", such as maximum length or excluded characters, that means your passwords are being stored in a non secure manner.

Properly stored password data is hashed and salted so that you can't discover the original password via stealing the password file. (Salting is particularly important to securing password data since it adds extra data to a password entry to try to make it harder to figure out a valid password from stolen data)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2023