Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole thing where add ons are listed right on the home page is weird, but I'm really surprised to see multiple people getting tripped up on it all of a sudden because it's been pretty much the sole way to get PS4 to PS5 upgrades since...I think the beginning. The way resident evil lists it is just like all of their other upgrades as well as Witcher 3 and a bunch of other games. Its just the VR version instead of PS5 upgrade.

I guess it doesn't help that it's not consistent. Some games just roll VR into an update (NMS/GT7) and some are treated like add ons and some are whole new versions or require a purchase, which can be listed in any way the publisher wants apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does the combat in the horizon games get better as you play more or if i'm not enjoying it a few hours in am I just going to not like it?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Does the combat in the horizon games get better as you play more or if i'm not enjoying it a few hours in am I just going to not like it?

If you are not liking the story or the combat then it is possible that the game is not for you. A few hours was enough to grab me but aside from newer moves the structure and framework is solid throughout and if that is not working for you then it is 100% ok to move on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Which one are you playing? You keep referring to it like you are playing both at once.

Personally I think the combat is great so I dunno. It can be sort of tough early on though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is the combat really that different in the second one?

I haven’t played the first one since finishing it at launch and the second one felt pretty much like I remembered it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really, but I something about the AI in the second one sort of annoyed me in a way the first one didn't.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The second one seemed to have the robots getting your face quite a bit more. At least that's what it felt like to me.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It gets better in the sense that superior weapons allow you to slap in more mods, which can dramatically change the way you fight.

I think the golden rule for ZD is to play until you reach Meridian, since at that point the map opens up and you get access to high tier weapons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There second one seems to have robots that love to charge at you in order to make hunter bows less feasible at close range and create a performance space for the new warrior bow type. But in practice it just gets you locked into endless evasions trying to even get a good look at the robot let alone shoot it with anything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they just barrel at you in a way that you have zero room to breathe which can be super annoying at times. Especially early on when your gear is crap.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

Which one are you playing? You keep referring to it like you are playing both at once.

Personally I think the combat is great so I dunno. It can be sort of tough early on though.

I played around 10 hours of the first one a few years ago and dropped it. I downloaded the second one for free and it isn't gripping me. To each his own i guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I played around 10 hours of the first one a few years ago and dropped it. I downloaded the second one for free and it isn't gripping me. To each his own i guess.

The first one has a great story but it really takes a bit to kick in fwiw. The early hours have kind of a teen movie feel but the stuff explaining the world and the machines is interesting as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The quarry is really fun. Great freebie. The music is awful though

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo the beginning of gow:r is intense. Huge grin when I see the depictions for Thor and Odin and that scene just moved so well, definitely ready to play more.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I've blasted through most of Days Gone over the weekend and wondering if I should continue and beat it. I just killed Carlos. Roughly how far am I into the game? I hear tell of another zone, have I already unlocked that area or is that to come? I've not unlocked the level 3 items, so don't have a great grasp of how far along I am. There is a lot of neat stuff in this game, but the novelty is wearing thin. The hordes are cool, but I've also found them to be very buggy. It sounds like they may not be making a sequel, which is a bummer, as I feel them iterating on this formula could make something really great.

I picked up Valkyrie Elysium on Amazon. I really liked the demo, and the box art is cool enough to warrant a physical purchase (also half off). Once I start playing it, I'm unlikely to go back to Days Gone.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Unpopular opinion time, as a drooling Elden Ring fan boy (post leyndell spoilers) : game should have ended once you get to the base of the Erdtree, or at least entered its final act. I'm 100hrs in now, so when I defeat the boss and go through the door only be told 'oh no actually you can't get in here and there's totally another thing you need to do that nobody mentioned before' I feel like maybe it's just too much.. A bit like when you go to california in tlou2. I'm ready to move on!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
am I crazy? How do I kill the Tibia Mariner in Liurnia He just keeps disappearing and then his health bar goes away and the music stops.

The Perfect Element posted:

Unpopular opinion time, as a drooling Elden Ring fan boy (post leyndell spoilers) : game should have ended once you get to the base of the Erdtree, or at least entered its final act. I'm 100hrs in now, so when I defeat the boss and go through the door only be told 'oh no actually you can't get in here and there's totally another thing you need to do that nobody mentioned before' I feel like maybe it's just too much.. A bit like when you go to california in tlou2. I'm ready to move on!

I agreed at the time. I'm doing my second run now after a year has passed, I'll see how it feels this round

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Probably you're fighting him on the edge of his area and he despawns because you've run too far? Try running further in at first maybe.

This is not a terribly unpopular opinion, people tend to agree that the final few areas are likely where they ran out of development time, and they've got a lot of reused assets with somewhat unfair number tune-ups. I think the game gains something from the continuation, though -- I think it would be a little too pat if you were told to go to the Erdtree, and then you make it to the Erdtree, boom done. Farum Azula is my favorite dungeon in the game, I think, and you need an area beyond the Erdtree to explore so that you can find the hidden path to the Haligtree if nothing else (and Ordina, Liturgical Town which is tough as nails but really cool to see). I also think seeing the Fire Giant stuff is interesting, as well as seeing Melina's final purpose at the Forge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is the combat really that different in the second one?

I haven’t played the first one since finishing it at launch and the second one felt pretty much like I remembered it

FW has Limit Break equivalents and a lot more nuance to movement in general, it allows you to do some absolutely wild acrobatic stuff if you have the controls down pat, the flipside of this is that enemies require more thought in how you approach them with various weapon's elemental properties and your own ability to dodge attacks.

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I've been watching a Let's Play and it's astonishing how they managed to come up with a cool feature and then immediately shoot it in the foot. I heard about that in previews -- awesome, you don't have to click on every single drawer to loot it, you can just hold the button and sweep your aim over everything to loot -- and I'm picturing the usual FPS rooms with like 8 lockers and two of them have loot and yeah, that's great! And then I see the actual game and they've packed every office with giant walls of like 60 drawers each so you spend more time having to sweep over the entire wall versus just going up and pressing X on only a handful of interactable containers.

Ehhh, in a game like Prey you'd be going through the drawers and dealing with little mini inventories one at a time, do I Take All including the screw and the banana peel, or do I leave the banana peel for the next guy? Atomic Heart's version takes a little less time, and has nice visual and haptic feedback.

RareAcumen posted:

I saw a clip of the first one and I assumed that it was a one-off occurrence. Turns out there's multiple of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j8c-l5f-Do

What an odd game. The scene just kinda ends weakly too.

It's better in Russian, but it never stops being thoroughly tasteless haha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How is there more nuance to the movement in forbidden west? I can’t think of anything they really changed

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Phenotype posted:

Probably you're fighting him on the edge of his area and he despawns because you've run too far? Try running further in at first maybe.

This is not a terribly unpopular opinion, people tend to agree that the final few areas are likely where they ran out of development time, and they've got a lot of reused assets with somewhat unfair number tune-ups. I think the game gains something from the continuation, though -- I think it would be a little too pat if you were told to go to the Erdtree, and then you make it to the Erdtree, boom done. Farum Azula is my favorite dungeon in the game, I think, and you need an area beyond the Erdtree to explore so that you can find the hidden path to the Haligtree if nothing else (and Ordina, Liturgical Town which is tough as nails but really cool to see). I also think seeing the Fire Giant stuff is interesting, as well as seeing Melina's final purpose at the Forge.

Unless Im missing something its just a tiny little stream in front of the study hall... no where else to go

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

How is there more nuance to the movement in forbidden west? I can’t think of anything they really changed

The new moves I used a lot were the leap-up vault move that gets you airborne, which you can merge into a mid-air shot or a parachute glide, for example, and then directly into melee. The climbing was also completely revamped from a fixed route deal into what is essentially free-climb, but that's out of combat. You can also mix swimming and grappling in there, which happens in a number of fights, and the aforementioned limit breaks which have seamless transitions when used.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
To enjoy the combat in HZD/FW you really need to start using traps and stuff. Shooting poo poo with the bow gets really boring. I had a lot more fun baiting robots into complex killzones I'd created. It also meant those fights were short instead of a scrambling slugfest.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If anything, the stuff in the Horizon games that frustrated me the most was not enemies doing rushdowns, it was poor visual telegraphs for ranged energy attacks. Also fighting humans, which I avoided as much as possible. But at least they made it better in FW.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Holy poo poo the beginning of gow:r is intense. Huge grin when I see the depictions for Thor and Odin and that scene just moved so well, definitely ready to play more.

The game that kept getting better the more I played it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man I’m playing through Last of Part 1 Remake and honestly it’s got me all tense. These new visuals are so slick but gently caress man the game can become somewhat of a survival horror game lol. Especially when you’re fighting off clickers. And the new visuals are so good that it was getting to me.

Can’t wait to get even more scared by dead space!

TLOU Full VR remake when?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Factions 2 VR so I can immersively beat goons’ jaws off with a rusty nailed bat

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Love to immersively beat off goons.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Love to immersively beat off goons.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RealDullHedgehogSMOrc-Abkj47-TZVHa4AdJ

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

except a couple of the post leyndell areas are the best in the game

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Elden Ring can’t end at the Erdtree because then you’d miss some of my favorite areas. I agree that the snow zones are kinda boring though. At least you can just run through them.

I think it takes a long time for HZD to give you enough weapons and enemy type combinations to really feel what makes the combat fun. I felt like it was a bit dull until around the time I was leaving the Colorado territory.

HFW gives you all the basic abilities and an assortment of enemies as soon as you finish the prologue though. Then at the end of Zion Canyon you can start unlocking the new movement options which changes the way you move in battle quite a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLODld3AV0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugblatter posted:

Elden Ring can’t end at the Erdtree because then you’d miss some of my favorite areas. I agree that the snow zones are kinda boring though. At least you can just run through them.

Well yeah the suggestion isn't to delete the post-erdtree areas, just rearrange the flow so the erdtree is the last stop and you can go to the end boss on the first visit if you did all available prereqs

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 23, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

Well yeah the suggestion isn't to just delete the post-erdtree areas, just rearrange the flow so the erdtree is the last stop and you can go to the end boss on the first visit if you did all available prereqs

Eh, but the your princess is in another castle moment is pretty cool. I don’t really hate the snow areas enough to get rid of that. Maybe condense them down more so they aren’t as sparse.

There are sorta four different snow areas as is, which is a bit much and they don’t have that much interesting stuff. Keep the narrow pass from Leyndell, that was creepy and cool. But then maybe mix the highlights of the liturgical town and kiln together and excise most of the rest of the mountaintops.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there even anything in the snow other than the fire giant?

I feel like I went there, killed it, then it was straight off to the endgame.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

there's also the consecrated snowfield which is a fairly big area.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Elden ring owns. All of it

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nothing interesting or important therein lies the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anyway I just got to chapter 9 in Rogue Galaxy how much is left?? According to the trophies theres 12 chapters... seems like quite a ways yet to go