Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hof ballot
barry bonds
dave stieb
ichiro suzuki

alphabetic by both first name and last name, it is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: Voting Time :siren:

Red's HoF Votes:

1. Joe Mauer
2. Buster Posey
3. Bobby Abreu
4. Ichiro Suzuki
5. Johan Santana
6. Mark Buerhle

1 and 2: Mauer and Posey are the best catchers, total package-wise, of the last 20 years.
3: I've made my case for Bobby.
4: Ichiro is a hitting machine, unique and special.
5. Santana was one of the most dominant pitchers of his era.
6. Buerhle was the most consistent pitcher of his era, and you won't see anyone as reliable, durable, and valuable as him for a long time.

I didn't vote for Bonds or Clemens, because they simply haven't come clean about the obvious issue; if they came forward and spoke candidly about what they did, they could be fairly considered. Though, even still, Clemens' weird poo poo with an underage girl probably disqualifies him regardless.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

HoF

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Roger Clemens

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hall of Fame Ballot:

Bonds
Suzuki
Stieb
Delgado
Mauer
Buerhle
Posey

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Ichiro and Stieb. I literally cannot imagine the BBWA and the HOF as an institution could refuse to vote for Ichiro and maintain anything resembling legitimacy.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

big hall. hard to leave buerhle off; i freaking love him. felt he had the short straw in the santana - pettitte - buerhle race.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mauer, Posey, Stieb, Bonds, Ichiro, Abreu, Santana.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm telling replica to go spikes up on anyone who doesn't vote for Mauer

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

I left Stieb off because I had to cut two and figured he's gonna get enough votes and two stieb voters didn't vote for mauer

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Ichiro Suzuki - my favorite baseball player, full stop.
And in no particular order:
Joe Mauer
Bobby Abreu
Carlos Delgado
Mark Buehrle

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Ichiro and Stieb. I literally cannot imagine the BBWA and the HOF as an institution could refuse to vote for Ichiro and maintain anything resembling legitimacy.

You’re talking about the same people who have completely boned one person, out of sheer spite, outta Cy Young contention for three years MINIMUM when he was putting together masterclasses back in the eighties because…he played for one of TWO Canadian teams at the time.

The BBWAA and legitimacy go together like fire and water.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Y'all don't sleep on Santana. He had 2 CYs and was top 3 in votes twice, including at least once in each league. Up until his shoulder exploded he was easily the best of his contemporaries. And even then he gave the Mets their first no hitter, sacrificing the rest of his career in the process.

Dude doesn't deserve to be left by the wayside by people who know better. We're fixing mistakes here. And voting Buerhle but not Santana seems mind boggling to me.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JosefStalinator posted:

Goon Veterans Committee List:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Roger Clemens

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the votes so far goons!

We'll leave the voting open a tiny bit longer - will likely sim 2031 tonight and tally the results.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Here's my Goon Veteran's Committee ballot:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Andruw Jones

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Was tempted to leave off Bonds and Clemens to be a dickhead, but I see people are already doing that.
Ballot:
Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Ichiro Suzuki
Andruw Jones
Dave Stieb
Andy Pettitte
Bobby Abreu

Stieb and Pettitte are riiight at my cutoff line, Buehrle is already modeling for his statue in the Garden of Very Good*, and Johan didn't have enough career value to match his excellent peak while Delgado is not particularly close IMO.

* In this timeline I'm quite wealthy, have purchased a large parcel of Cooperstown, and have created a garden with life sized statues of players who are really good but not quite good enough to make the HoF.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

JosefStalinator posted:

Goons - choose anywhere between 1 and 10 of the following players as part of your Hall of Fame Goon Veterans Committee Ballot. Everyone gets one ballot, and blank ballots will not be accepted. You can vote even if you never made or do not currently have an active player.

Whichever of the below players appears on 75% of the goon ballots will be manually added to the Hall of Fame in our OOTP world.

Below is the big compilation nominee post I made before. Each quoted post is a link to the nomination post, and the player's baseball reference page, to help you make your decisions.

Please submit your ballot by posting in the thread, listing all the players you choose to vote for. Remember that the max is 10, but you can choose fewer if you so desire. Make it clear that it is your Goon Veterans Committee HoF Ballot.

Goon Veterans Committee List:

Joe Mauer
Buster Posey
Dave Stieb
Bobby Abreu
Barry Bonds
Andy Pettitte
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Joe Mauer
Barry Bonds
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Delgado
Johan Santana
Mark Buerhle
Roger Clemens
Andruw Jones

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mauer
Suzuki
Delgado
Santana
Buerhle
Jones

Red
Apr 15, 2003

This is a friendly reminder to vote for Bobby Abreu.

Tip: The only reason he doesn't have 3,000 hits is because he walked so much he has more than anybody in history except for 19 guys over 150 years of baseball.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also I lied and real life intervened again - update tonight I promise!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2031 MLB Season

Last season was a disappointment, but in different ways than 2029. MOST of our goons stayed healthy (except for Bob Glass who missed a really productive career year to an ankle fracture), but they all fell off in the second half, even our studs. No MVP or Cy Young, no RoY, and a measly single GG and SS.

Worst of all, we had the most cursed final four teams in the League Championship Series of the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, and Cardinals. And it ended with the Yankees winning it all. Truly cursed.

The biggest drama as we go into 2031 is that of Douglas Dugless, who for some insane reason, was let go by the Cubs rather than give him an arbitration offer. He's an 80/80 rated young rookie stud demanding only 6 million for one year - where will he end up? Will he get a big contract or just take another yearly one?

Rumors are immediately flying that Dugless will end up in San Diego. It's the first day of Spring Training, so let's hope that they settle this deal soon. That's pathetic money for someone as talented as this though, I have no idea what's going on.

I was kind of hoping Dugless would end up on a team with more goons, but that's alright.

Let's take a peek at the offseason summary:

Montreal looks to FINALLY be making a play and pulling itself out of last place. I really hope it pays off - they've only not been last place once, to the nationals. Let's hope for fourth!

Not great if you're on the Angels - but maybe this will be Manjack's opportunity to shine!

Here's how our goons stand on the first day of Spring Training:

You'll notice quite a few things here (and a few things missing).

First, nearly all of our goons are MLB-worthy, at least for Spring. Only Dowd, Dee, Panda, and Sisters aren't on the Spring MLB squads.

You'll also notice a lot of changes among our goons' locations!

I don't know how I missed it, but Krillin was traded to KC during the 2029 season. He's probably not the starter yet, but his competition is exceedingly mediocre and KC is a great fit for Krillin to start breaking into the bigs.

Carl Tubbs also found a new home, though I'm disappointed to see that it was for a minor league contract. Still, Mexico City needs ALL the help it can get, and Tubbs has a very good chance of making the roster at some point during the season. If he does, his contract will kick in and he'll make a clean 1.3 million. Nice!

A few of you are likely noticing some names absent in the list. That's because I think our chickens are coming home to roost:

Three goons Velo Victim, Patrick O'Doyle, and John Cena, are jobless going into Spring. It's entirely possible they get thrown a lifeline before the season's done, but it's looking very bad. We may have our first goon retirements in 5 years - and it may start an exodus.

Dugless I didn't count, because he's publicly being courted by teams.

LOTS of rumors swirling about Dugless, as it should be. He should be making so much more money!

I also know the Giants are ALSO negotiating with him, as I have to pretend to be the Giants manager to better access the news feed. So at least four teams are after him - and I'd guess more.

Good news for John Cena and Velo Victim, who live yet another year (maybe).

Come opening day, here is where the goons stand:

The usual - MOST goons stay in the majors, with the rest languishing in the minors. A bit disappointed to see Tubbs start at AAA, because Mexico City REALLY needs talent, but I'd bet good money he'll get his million before the month is done, let alone the season.

Two players are still without a club -Patrick O'Doyle, who may just be the first goon to retire in 5 years, and Dugless, who I hope is watching teams outbid each other for his talents. The season has started now though, so he's losing playing time at this point.

All our guys leave spring relatively healthy too - Steve McGee's injury only has him out for a few days, and Tukhachevsky just has a minor bout of rhinitis.

Let's see how our opening day stud Vegeta did to usher in the season:

Not great, but not terrible either. Let's hope the White Sox can be competitive again this year and get Vegeta a ring - he's a goon who MUCH deserves it.

Bantoni gets the ball rolling by being the first player of the week for the season, batting a clean .500 with 3 home runs over 10 games.

Just two days into the season Dugless FINALLY signs with a team. And it's San Diego, the original rumored team that started this whole media storm. I'm glad to see him get paid well - $10 million is a steal at his level of talent, and whoever runs the Cubs deserves to be fired immediately.

I checked and since Dugless is still early in his career, the Padres will get at least one more year of arbitration with him before he can demand the big bucks. We'll see if the Padres are run by better folks than the Cubs, and what Dugless himself decides to do. I'm just glad he finally signed with someone so he can get playing.

Also, the Padres had 93 wins in 2030, so hopefully this means Dugless will be on a competitive team.

Steve McGee continues to be the master of owning minor league scrubs. Poor dude has been promoted and demoted so many goddamn times:

At least he got to play a bit with the Reds last year. Always feels good when your player at least appears for a BIT in the majors. Keep this up and he'll be right back up there - lord knows the Reds need it.

The Dugless-led Padres have the most lopsided victory of the season winning 13-0 over Saito and his Reds. I think Saito is definitely the most "Trout-esq" of goons in that he represents the biggest difference in talent between himself and his team as a whole. He's had consistently great performances each season, while the Reds have made the playoffs exactly once in that time. Sad!

Splodey gets into a tussle, and gets suspended. His stats are almost the perfect embodiment of a "quadruple A" player - a guy who consistently owns at AAA and struggles when he gets promoted to the MLB.

Some random, but I've never seen a player be knocked out for 17-18 months. That's two lost seasons. Ouch.

Clips, by far the sexiest goon, tears up AAA so hard he immediately gets promoted. He's backup outfielder on Arizona now!

Rich Mahogany gets demoted by Oakland for some reason, despite starting as the dedicated closer. He's working to get back in that bullpen.

Replica has an injury scare, but she lucks out, ending up with a minor triceps injury that just makes her day-to-day for a bit. She's off to a solid 2031, and hopefully continues to kick rear end.

We've actually had a remarkably healthy 2031. I've been checking periodically and so far no goons have suffered anything beyond a few days of injury. This pleases me!

Bob Glass has cooled down a bit since last year, but he has one great game, going 5-7. You'll notice that his last hit was a WALK OFF GRAND SLAM in the 14th inning.

Megnogard Cooper! Our silent stud has been cruising with the Rockies, hitting a sexy .300 over the month - and the season. Unfortunately for him, the Rockies are god awful.

Blank is finally regaining his stud status! A great week punctuates a renaissance season. Good to see it.

A ghostly voice somewhere is spookily moaning promote meeeeee! He'd end up at 21 games.

A shocking - but positive - turn of events for our boy Charlie Brown! A disappointing 6+ ERA start to the season with the Dodgers saw him placed on waivers - and immediately claimed by the Angels, saving Charlie from even having to buy a new house. On top of that, the Angels immediately put him into the starting rotation - and his FIRST GAME as an Angel, he shuts out the A's.

I did NOT expect any of the above. But I'm ecstatic to see Charlie get to thrive.

Let that be a lesson to goons - sometimes your player needs a change in scenery, and a chance to start regularly, for their talents to shine.

Clips! Any excuse to see that mug. Now we know how it became so well sculpted.

drat. Our first big injury of the season befalls Replica, whose washboard abs knock her out for a month.

Cooper silently having an amazing season. Increasingly loudly, actually. We may have a Rookie of the Year candidate!

I don't think anyone has had worse injury luck than Tukhachevsky. Look at this goddamn injury history - he's lost over 2 full seasons now just with being hurt. His right knee alone is responsible for half of it, what a shame. I hope he bounces back but there comes a point where his body is just going to break.

Tim McCracken is back in the majors! But the silly goose manages to get suspended for fighting. Shaking my drat head.

Megnogard is absolutely RAKING in Denver. He's hitting nearly .333 going into the half! :popeye:.

It's All-Star time! And boy do we have some surprises!

Six goon All-Stars! That's a new record!

Few of the goons win outright votes but many are chosen as backups, or because those ahead of them are hurt. Vegeta does get the most votes of all pitchers in the AL, and earns his fourth All-Star nod in a row. Don't forget that this is also Saito's fourth All-Star in a row, and Blank's fourth non-consecutive one as well. Replica is snubbed, I think in large part due to her injury, but this is still a great haul!

The biggest surprise is of course, Rich Mahogany, who has surged out of nowhere as the new ace of the A's rotation. That's right - he started as closer, got demoted, then got promoted again and became the number 1 starter on the A's, and an All-Star. That's quite the turn around.

Look whose little head is in the Home Run Derby! Can Bantoni match Snorp's unique accomplishment of winning the derby?

SO CLOSE!. Bantoni does his best, channeling all his pent up anger at the injustices his brother faced, and falls only in the final round to Noelvi Marte by 3 home runs. He dispatched Vlad Guerrero Jr. and Luis Flores in the process, so props to him.

The All-Star game finishes with the NL leading 3-2 over the AL. Honestly, few of our goons do much of note. Vegeta does get the honor of starting the game though - now our only goon to start on opening day AND start the All-Star game. He pitches a 2 hit, 1 K scoreless first. No one else does anything interesting.

Let's check the stats at the halfway point:

All-Star Break Batting Stats

Bantoni's stats stand out to me the most at the half - he's his best year yet, hitting nearly .300 and with 25 home runs already. His OPS is nearly 1.000, which is phenomenal, and yet despite being the best pure hitter his absolutely dreadful fielding is pulling down his WAR. I suspect he's being platooned/subbed for a lot given his relatively low PA's, and I hope the Blue Jays convert him to a full time DH soon. Right now he's running around like a fool in left.

Reggie Blank is also having a renaissance year - he leads the goons in WAR with a combination of superb contact hitting and expert defense. His power is hardly absent either - he's hit 19 HR's and leads the goons in RBI's on that stacked goon-centric Tigers lineup. It's good to see our boy back in form. Don't ignore those 18 SB's either! Or that .350 on base percentage!

AJ Kalan hitting consistently and having solid WAR? What a shocker! He did have a few mediocre years the last two years, but like the rest of the goons is enjoying a rebirth this year. I didn't notice, but 3 of the last 5 years he led all of baseball in runs scored, and he led in hits, doubles, AND triples in 2027. The contact/speed king.

It seriously seems like everyone is having career years. Snorp and Saito are crushing it, Replica is doing well despite her injuries, Cooper has absolutely come out of nowhere to hit .332 (albeit with lower play time compared to the rest). It's beautiful to see everyone be healthy at once!

There are of course some less stellar performances - Bob Glass seems to be struggling despite his health, and Jose Alface is having a pretty dreadful year. Malysz is also pretty mediocre (what a shock!), and Dugless hasn't quite been thriving as much as we'd hoped in his new environs (though he's not doing poorly by any means). The halfway point looks fantastic for our hitters - we'll see if they can keep it up.

I'm also sad Tubbs hasn't been promoted yet. Stop being cheap and promote him drat it!

All-Star Break Pitching Stats

Yes I see it. We'll get to Dugless later.

First - check out who has the best ERA! It's none other than Sir Plusse, who is clowning on Vegeta this season with a 2.91 ERA. His other peripherals aren't that much better and FIP implies better luck/defense behind him (whatup Blank/McCracken/Replica), but it still counts!

Surely with all our goons on fire on the Tigers, they must be crushing it finally right!?

:negative:. Maybe it's the Tigers that are the Angels of this universe.

Vegeta continues to be an ace still though, with an ERA any goon would kill for. His strikeouts are down a bit but still fantastic, and he seems to have gotten his problem with walking under control. He leads in WAR in part due to the fact that he continues to go deep in - and win - games for the White Sox. Of course, they're still in third place. Sigh.

Rich Mahogany is making a name for himself this season absolutely out of nowhere. As noted above, he was demoted and promoted back into the A's rotation and is now their ace - and a 3.97 ERA is nothing to scoff at. He's almost got WAR to match Plusse, and his peripherals suggest he can only get better. We may have a new contender in the starting game!

Charlie Brown may not be the Angel's ace, but he's a full time starter now and he's doing great! A 4ish ERA after what he went through is much to be desired, and I hope he continues to improve.

Okay. Dugless. You're pitching again. And you're... good!??? It's only 8 starts so it's not exactly a full sample, but compare this with ALL HIS SEASONS WITH THE CUBS:

One of these things is not like the other... WIll it hold over a whole season? Who knows, but Doug may be making a new identity for himself, as a true two-way player!

Onward to the end of the season!

Cooper and goes 5 for 6 in a game... and then gets demoted to AAA!??? What the gently caress Rockies!?

Kalan is jealous and gets 5 hits and does the same thing!

Dugless is hurt, but the game understands implicitly Dugless' rural itchin' accent.

The year of the unknown goon contact hitters continues with clips ALSO hitting over .300.

Manjack is clowning and sparkling down in AAA. His dreams of promotion inch closer, maybe he can join Charlie Brown in the Angels rotation?

Steve McGee is all bones. So when he broke his kneecap, he knew his season was over - you can't field or hit hopping on one leg. While a new kneecap is 3D printed for him, he will miss the rest of the season. So sad.

Kalan has yet ANOTHER 5 hit game and player of the week. He's finishing the season on fire, raising his average to .324.

Patrick O'Doyle sneaks in one minor league award as the season ends. Is he buying precious time for himself?

The best pitcher award down in AA too? He's not dead yet!

gently caress. More terrible news for Detroit, as SNK Replica goes down for the rest of the season in September. The good news is that she could play in the playoffs - but will Detroit barely miss them again without one of their stars?

:hotpickle: Sigh. At least they lost out by two games instead of one. What an embarassment.

A good transition - how do the standings look more broadly?

I see some good goon opportunities! And peep those 101 win Phillies! Is it finally Kalan's chance for a ring?

And what's this - looks like Actually Goku has a new team as well - he was traded to the Phillies from Cleveland in June. He'll be joining Kalan and the dominant Phillies in their run for a ring!

Playoff Tree

Goon Ring Opportunities:

TOR - Kemping
CHW - Vegeta
TEX - Borsgaard, Dincht (not on the playoff roster but did appear in 2031)
PHI - Kalan, Goku
NYM - Glass
SFG - Stalin (not on the playoff roster but did appear in 2031)
SDP - Dugless

7/12! Though only five have players on the playoff roster, but 7 chances at a ring ain't bad!

The first round is a mixed bag for goons.

Vegeta does his best to drag his team across the finish line, starting in game 1 and winning after going 5 innings giving up only one earned run. But the other two games see the White Sox fall apart - including one dismal 17-4 loss - to fall 2 games to 1 to Cleveland. One goon team down.

Bantoni does work against Boston, slaying them 2 games to 1 with 2 RBI''s and 3 hits in 8 AB's.

Glass and the Mets do better - though not really due to much Glass did. My boy Stalin didn't even appear in the playoffs, how dare you forsake me, Giants!

Time for division series!

Bantoni keeps things going with another great playoff performance! His home run was the difference in game 3 giving the Blue Jays a walk off, 6-5 win in the 12th inning! He's rapidly becoming a playoff hero.

Alas, Snorp cannot recreate this success. Snorp and his Rangers will go home losers against Cleveland - but at least Snorp already has one championship under his belt.

This was a big goon vs. goon matchup - Glass and his Mets against Kalan and Goku with the Phillies. Despite the Phillies' win, Goku and Kalan both pretty much faceplanted against the Mets - while Glass did a bit better with 2 homeruns and a very impressive 6 RBI's. The Phillies ultimately won game 5 by one run, so it was drat close, but the Phillies goons will advance to face the Padres.

The Padres and Dugless absolutely steamrolled the Cardinals. The games were 5-2, 9-0, and 3-1. Dugless did his part in hitting, and given how short the series was, was not asked to pitch. I'm unsure if the AI will use a two-way player in the playoffs as the fatigue aspect gets a bit complicated. We won't likely have any real world data with Ohtani on the Angels as comparison any time soon.

The final four are 3 goon teams - our odds of a ring are at 75%! And those Padres are looking drat near unstoppable these playoffs.

Welp. The Padres have been stopped.

Over in the AL, Kemping does goon-kind proud and crushes a dinger and 2 RBI's as the Blue Jays top the Guardians 4 games to 2. Welcome to the World Series Bantoni! I'm sure Antoni is cheering for you, wherever he is (definitely not here).

This one cannot be blamed on Dugless at all. Dude hit three dingers, had 9 RBI, hit for average, AND pitched a game and still couldn't carry his team across the finish line.

Kalan at least showed up to this one, while Goku got a postseason dinger, which is cool! But that was... about it. And it was in a game the Phillies won 12-5 anyway.

Ah well. At least we can say this - SOME goon is getting a ring this year. Will it be Kemping, or Kalan and Goku?

Congrats Bantoni Kemping, you did it! You've got a championship ring, joining Snorp, Blank, McCracken, and Plusse!

Bantoni's victory speech was moving - unfortunately, due to a sudden onset of COVID19, his brother Antoni couldn't be there to celebrate. But Bantoni dedicated his entire speech to his brother and announced the establishment of a charity in his name, donating half his salary from 2031 to it. Selfless as ever.

The series really was a duel between Bantoni and Kalan, who both did their damnedest to win. Kalan shows some surprising power with two dingers and 3 RBI's, while Goku was basically just there. Ultimately though, the Blue Jays depth at hitting toppled the juggernaut 101 win Phillies.

I feel a bit bad for Kalan given that he's really been a consistent player on an otherwise mediocre team, but hopefully the Phillies get another go at it next year. That was actually Kalan's 3rd playoff appearance - and Bantoni's second.

While Bantoni pops the champagne and celebrates, let's see if any goons won awards!

drat. Vegeta barely misses out on the AL Cy Young award, falling second to Tyler Ball.

Kalan does place 6th in the NL MVP vote, and Blank at 4th in the AL, but no luck there.

Cooper is so close to a rookie award, but falls just short to a Sergio Aponte. loving robbed! And I had though we had no more shots at it. Alas.

Kalan and Blank secure Silver Sluggers at right and left respectively! Hell yeah.

Not a single goon wins the Golden Glove. Shaking my goddamn head.

Two great close calls (maybe 3 if you count Blank's) and 2 SS's. I'll take it!

Let's see how the finances/team shakeups go!

As time has elapsed, our real world players are getting quite old. Freddie Freeman is the oldest player in the league.

First things first though:

:rip: to three goons! John Cena, Billy Dee, and Velo Victim all hang up their hats, making for the first Goon retirements in 4-5 years. I thought maybe some of them might last another year, but they clearly felt their time was up.

You'll notice we are getting more and more goon free agents too!

For whatever reason, despite his immense skill, Dugless is a free agent once again, being denied arbitration from the Padres. Goku and Glasscock similarly are not offered anything in arbitration, while Sisters and Panda become free agents the old fashioned way.

Saito signs a lucrative deal with the Reds, forcing him to play for their godawful organization for another 3 years.

:eyepop: Wowza! Bob Glass completely blows all the goon contracts out of the water, signing an 8 year extension with a total value of nearly $200 million.

What a payday! One of the benefits of playing for a team with deep pockets - Glass will likely be a Met for a long, long time. The Mets seem to think this season was an aberration.

Bitchface has a new home, being traded to Seattle from the Orioles.

Jessie Crime is blessedly freed from her prison on the Nationals and will return to her original draft team of KC! Thank goodness for her, Washington is dreadful.

2032 opens with a fairly eventful Hall of Fame vote - two new players are inducted, Clayton Kershaw and Robinson Cano. A popular Yankee is always a shoe-in, and Kershaw joins him as a dominant pitcher of his era.

The only notable new player on the ballot is closer Craig Kimbrel, who starts off at an impressive 55%. He, Verlander, and Scherzer all have great shots at making it in.

Goons will add their own picks soon, as well!

Where have our goons settled financially, as the year turned?

Snorp is STILL in arbitration, and set to hit free agency next year. Let's hope he gets paid, as he's currently our top paid goon to make it all the way through arbitration without a deal!

Sisters, Glasscock, Goku, and most notably, Dugless all remain free agents as we go into next season. Dugless WILL find a home, but the rest may be in varying degrees of danger.

Panda notably found a home - he was signed on a minor league contract with Colorado. No bonus if he gets promoted. Panda has now played in the Padres, Reds, Rockies, White Sox, and Rockies (again) orgs without a single appearance in the majors. He's honestly not even that bad, I don't know why they never want to promote him! At least he has the distinction of being the only goon to make yearly salary money without ever touching MLB.

But of course, what do we all really want to see?

How our coaches are doing!

The two most notable goons here are Aaron Zinn, who is Oakland's Pitching Coach - maybe responsible for Mahogany's transformation? And Cash Considerations, who is managing the AAA Phillies affiliate. We have a few other managers as well - let's hope some make it to the MLB level eventually!

2031 Batting Stats

Just a quick glance shows that this was one of the absolute best goon seasons overall. So many did a wonderful job!

I'm first amazed by how nearly identical Kalan and Blank's stats were this season. They had identical OPS+ and OPS, nearly identical slugging, OBP, AVG, ISO... etc. Blank has SLIGHTLY more power and Kalan SLIGHTLY more contact. Blank probably had the better season with that higher war reflecting his superior baserunning and defense. Blank also led all goons RBI - and led the entire majors in hits with 201!

The only other goon at their level was Bantoni Kemping - who arguably had a better offensive season, but played far fewer games. Again he seems to be being platooned/subbed because of his awful defense, but DESPITE THIS, had 38 homeruns, more than all goons. Kemping's power is real, and I am increasingly furious at the Blue Jays for not getting him out there every day. What the gently caress is wrong with them, just put him at DH if you have to - you're telling me there's someone better who can hit?

Shoutout to Saito for becoming the most perfect TTO guy ever - he led goons in strikeouts and almost walks as well, we love to see it.

Crime, Clips, and Cooper were shockers this year as well, sneaking up on us to hit .330 and .323 respectively. Cooper enjoyed 19 dingers in Denver while crime had... 1. But she's not here for dingers, she's here for those beautiful hits, and she has a LOT of those. I hope she enjoys KC better than Washington.

Glass and Replica had the most disappointingly mediocre years, partly to injury, partly to some bad luck. They'll recover - they both crushed it in WAR just because of their elite defensive prowess.

On the poorer side of things, Alface had a pretty bad season, ending up with negative 1 WAR. Tampa still believes in him though!

Goku once again ended up below the Mendoza line - and once again is still on a team. He's inexplicably getting playing time despite showing he's really not that good.

It's tough this season, but I think Reggie Blank surged back to show us he's still the elite stud he was when he first led the goons to the majors years ago. He wins my Best Goon Batting Award for 2031!

Pitching Stats

Our pitchers all had wonderful seasons too! Though maybe not as universally as our hitters.

Both Vegeta and Plusse ended up around the same level of skill on the season - Vegeta doing so with more strikeouts, and Plusse with better control. Plusse's stats actually came out a little ahead shockingly, though Vegeta gets props for going deeper into games and ended up with the far better WAR.

Mahogany though is one of the two big surprises here - his 4.00 ERA may not be flashy, but considering he started the season with being demoted from closer, turning into a solid starter is a win in my book. I hope it lasts - and the peripherals suggest it will.

Charlie Brown had a bad season, plain and simple. A 5.00+ ERA is not acceptable for a reliever, and I hope he corrects it next year. The FIP suggests it was partly bad luck and fielding. Good luck on the Angels though, ugh.

Dugless showed me and ALL the haters that we need to shut the hell up. He led ALL the goons in ERA - though admittedly, he started half as many games as our regular starters did. His FIP suggests he's got some absolutely elite defense behind him or just supremely good luck, but regardless, he showed that he is a viable two-way player.

Picking the best this year is hard. You could make a case for anyone BUT Charlie Brown, really. Vegeta led in WAR, Plusse in ERA+, Mahogany is a great comeback story, and Dugless was overall the best pitcher with a smaller sample size. I'm going to be boring and pick Vegeta just because that WAR is sexy and he's got the IP's, giving him the 2031 Best Goon Pitcher Award!

Fielding Stats

Glass took a step back with 10 errors in fielding this season, but continues to be terrifying to have to hit into. Blank also upped his game in CF with amazing Zone rating and efficiency, with only Replica crushing him with fewer chances.

Kalan ended up this season's biggest liability with 7 errors and pretty poor efficiency, zone rating, and range. Snorp and Saito also deserve shame for their high number of errors, and it looks like Cooper won't be winning any awards for fielding with those stats.

I'll give Blank the Best Goon Fielder Award for 2031 only to shame Glass into stopping those errors going into next season. Smdh.

So 2031 concludes - I would argue our best goon season yet. We did suffer some retirements, but of those who played, they played well - and we saw a renaissance for players that once were great, had been struggling, and hadn't even made it to the majors. Welcome Cooper, Crime, and Clips, the triple C here to make sure we don't forget about them!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 22, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What the actual gently caress, Padres?? You have an amazing giant of a man that almost singlehandedly got you to the World Series, for $10m, and you just let him walk? Obviously the warmer weather fixed his pitching.

Douglas is going to have a two part Secret Base documentary about him someday.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

My boy got his bag. Better than any ring! Hell yeah, Rooster!

EDIT: Also, I’m imagining the absolute fits my guy is causing for amateur sports commentators (such as UrinatingTree, Jomboy, and the like). I can see the UrinatingTree video now…

“…Mets, what the gently caress are you doing?! I know you have a generational talent in Glass, but locking him down for eight years?! At $200 million USD?! After a season like that AND another flame out in the postseason? Are we sure that the Mets’ front office is ok? [Insert 2032 Mets GM name here], blink twice if Bob is holding the team hostage.”

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 22, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Good ol' Billy Dee, resigned to mediocrity. That low work ethic is crippling. Oh well, moving on to the next best thing.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

Look whose little head is in the Home Run Derby! Can Bantoni match Snorp's unique accomplishment of winning the derby?

Why are there two Juan Sotos there?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ammat The Ankh posted:

a second juan soto has hit the building mlb, in the astros minor league system https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=soto--004jua

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Mr. Fix It posted:

a second juan soto has hit the building mlb, in the astros minor league system https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=soto--004jua

Holy poo poo - nice catch.

The Juan Soto we all know and love:

The imposter, second secret Juan Soto:

I can't believe there are two Juan Sotos - and that they're both actually good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Why the gently caress would the Mariners want Bitchface?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

my beautiful boy the red napoleon getting slaughtered by injuries is so sad.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

That’s a hell of an act, what do you call it?

The Detroit Tigers.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can't believe john cena is fuckin dead, rip to a real one

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My plan for O'Doyle is working.... languish in A for a decade, then begin the METEORIC RISE! to AA for one season

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That was actually a fairly decent year for Adam after the last few were quite poor, I think. Especially fielding - 0 errors in 152 games!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

Reggie Blank is also having a renaissance year - he leads the goons in WAR with a combination of superb contact hitting and expert defense. His power is hardly absent either - he's hit 19 HR's and leads the goons in RBI's on that stacked goon-centric Tigers lineup. It's good to see our boy back in form. Don't ignore those 18 SB's either! Or that .350 on base percentage!

Oh good!

quote:

Surely with all our goons on fire on the Tigers, they must be crushing it finally right!?

:negative:. Maybe it's the Tigers that are the Angels of this universe.

Oh. Oh no.

quote:

gently caress. More terrible news for Detroit, as SNK Replica goes down for the rest of the season in September. The good news is that she could play in the playoffs - but will Detroit barely miss them again without one of their stars?

:hotpickle: Sigh. At least they lost out by two games instead of one. What an embarassment.

... oh. :smith:

quote:

Kalan and Blank secure Silver Sluggers at right and left respectively! Hell yeah.

I'm first amazed by how nearly identical Kalan and Blank's stats were this season. They had identical OPS+ and OPS, nearly identical slugging, OBP, AVG, ISO... etc. Blank has SLIGHTLY more power and Kalan SLIGHTLY more contact. Blank probably had the better season with that higher war reflecting his superior baserunning and defense. Blank also led all goons RBI - and led the entire majors in hits with 201!

It's tough this season, but I think Reggie Blank surged back to show us he's still the elite stud he was when he first led the goons to the majors years ago. He wins my Best Goon Batting Award for 2031!

I'll give Blank the Best Goon Fielder Award for 2031 only to shame Glass into stopping those errors going into next season. Smdh.

Wow!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Replica I am begging you to get through the year healthy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bantoni you've done it! You have avenged your brother Antoni!

Also runner up in the HR derby, hell yea. Now if the Blue Jays could just figure there poo poo out and get him in the lineup every day, how do you bench this guy?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Please, Reds, I'm begging you, call up a guy who can actually play 3B and move Saito to 1B where he belongs! This is Thome-esque at this point!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm really starting to think Manjack would have been better as a relief pitcher, he doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a starter. Does this game ever move people around position wise?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'll give Steve this, he's hanging in there. "I used to play in the major leagues! Five different times!" "Yeah, sure grampa. Whatever you say."

Also :eyepop: that $195.1M payday for Glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Rip Velo, not exactly unexpected. The world just wasn’t ready.