Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not looking for a recommendation, but I am actually curious: Is there such a thing as a shallow chest freezer? Most of the sticking points that I see between standing and chest freezers seems to be "oh, but you gotta dig down into them to get at the stuff on the bottom", and so people opt for the standing freezer instead that dumps all the cold air out on the floor every time you open the door.

Like, is there anything out there that could be shallow enough to keep everything in one or two layers, for someone who isn't, say, going to sore an entire whole carcass of venison, and maybe still be able to store things underneath, outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In our house we instead asked "how can I make the chest freezer a better experience" and the answer we found was to buy a bunch of $10 plastic bins from Home Goods, kind of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/YIHONG-Storage-Organizer-Refrigerator-Organization/dp/B08R9P9CJL

Now, we have a bin for bread products, one for various French fries, one for specialty flours, etc. So when we need to dig, we're pulling out 3 things instead of 100. Also, we keep my biking gloves next to the freezer so it's more comfortable to dig.

All of this was after a year of doing the same thing but with old cardboard boxes cut to the same shape, which also work fine and are free.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Same but for my fridge’s freezer. I just realized I need to label the bottom drawer for dairy

Theoretically bins will let less cold air spill out when you open the door but I have no idea how effective it is

I had to search around a bit to find 16 inch deep bins to fit. It still has a two inch gap in the back to let cold air flow to the bottom drawers

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

In our house we instead asked "how can I make the chest freezer a better experience" and the answer we found was to buy a bunch of $10 plastic bins from Home Goods, kind of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/YIHONG-Storage-Organizer-Refrigerator-Organization/dp/B08R9P9CJL

Now, we have a bin for bread products, one for various French fries, one for specialty flours, etc. So when we need to dig, we're pulling out 3 things instead of 100. Also, we keep my biking gloves next to the freezer so it's more comfortable to dig.

All of this was after a year of doing the same thing but with old cardboard boxes cut to the same shape, which also work fine and are free.

I'm halfway there, I bought a bunch of bins about a year ago. 2 of them are in the freezer, filled with items of a specific category. The rest are stacked next to the freezer :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

This goon puttin canned beans in his freezer

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
yeah, when used a chest freezer for work we had thick wire baskets that hung between the front and back edges and were about half of the depth of the freezer

that way the freezer was divided into two levels and you could pretty easily lift out a section to get access to the level below

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

In addition to the baskets I also cut down a couple pieces of corrugated plastic board to create three vertical sections in my deep freezer. There's a narrow section on either side I've sectioned off that way and I just stack it full of butter and bread and other stuff that doesn't bin well.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I went to the local Industrial Paint & Plastics shop and found some agricultural/harvest trays that were relatively cheap and stack three deep width-wise in our chest freezer with enough space left to slip a couple of pizza boxes or flatbread packages into. The plastic is a bit thin and brittle when cold so you have to be careful banging things together. I'd prefer something made like milk crates but they aren't the right dimensions to fit efficiently in our freezer. If I break another one I might just make a set out of wood.

We keep a white board inventory next to the freezer divided into a grid representing the stacks of trays. It makes life so much easier we're actually careful to keep it up to date.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
so what y'all are saying is that such concerns are overblown and the people who complain about chest freezers being inconvenient are a bunch of wusses.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Where there's a chill there's a way

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The thread discussing it made me look into chest freezers and they seem to average around 4~600 bucks? Is that right? Do they go on sale like other appliances around Black Friday?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You really can save a ton of money on meat if you only buy on sale and buy a lot when you do. And meat freezes so well you’ll never know the difference. My freezer is currently full of $2.99 London broil, $1.49 boneless skinless chicken thighs, and $.97 pork roast. All half or less than regular price where I live.

Agree with the threeish years on meat freezing. Have eaten some 5-6 year old smoked salmon that was fine though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

AnonSpore posted:

The thread discussing it made me look into chest freezers and they seem to average around 4~600 bucks? Is that right? Do they go on sale like other appliances around Black Friday?

They're frequently on Craigslist if you live in a major metro area :shrug:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thermopop V1s are on sale for $12.60, in the event you need a good thermometer or want to stock up on a great cheap gift.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goons of the equipment thread, what is your wisdom? I am fed up with little spice jars that aren't large enough to get an entire tablespoon into, and the crappy lazy wire basket lazy susan thing cabinet that is spice storage bends under the weight of all the glass.

Bonus points if it can be incorporated into my "my entire kitchen fits in a rolling toolbox/suitcase" idea I've been playing around with.

edit: Was that thing that Alton Brown does with the velcro on the inside of cabinet doors ever worth a drat, or was it just begging to have a lid come off and dump spices everywhere like I suspected it would?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mason jars.

Big enough for spoons, cheap, standardized, easy to find more, 100% airtight thanks to rubber seals. Roughly doubles the life of your spices

Downside: maybe a little big if you have a lot of spices

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you stick with thin jars consider getting thin spoons

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agree 100%. I got these for Christmas and it's really nice to have. The whole lot is dishwasher safe too, and nests really small since they're thin metal

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use the smallest (4oz?) delitainers for spices and it's glorious, but sounds like it would take up too much space for you

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My apologies, I should have taken photos to help with the advice giving. Two households got combined into one when COVID hit, so we've an abundance of spices and condiments, some of which are duplicated.

The problem with this spinny rack thing is that the weight of the things on it makes the plastic center retention piece pop up over time, and then it just dumps everything everywhere.

edit: (I have a second project that I want to do, and that is assemble a capsule kitchen. We do not have enough space for my uncle's family's stuff and my stuff, and so I've been entertaining the idea of all my stuff fitting into a rolling toolchest that interlock like Milwaukee Packouts, so if your offered solutions will also allow me to organize spices into those as well, I am all for it.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 27, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am looking for a cast iron pan.

I've presently got one 10 inch enamelled cast iron Dutch oven and one 12 inch seasoned cast iron skillet. I use the Dutch oven for bread baking and the skillet for lots of stuff. I want a bigger Dutch oven in the combo style:

I want it this style for ease of baking - not having to drop the dough into a deep pan. I also want it to be dual purpose so I'm not keeping this in addition to my skillet. I am looking for one that's 12 inch diameter but in all of my searches I have not seen any examples bigger than 10.5.

Does anyone know of a big one of these that exists?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I am looking for a cast iron pan.

I've presently got one 10 inch enamelled cast iron Dutch oven and one 12 inch seasoned cast iron skillet. I use the Dutch oven for bread baking and the skillet for lots of stuff. I want a bigger Dutch oven in the combo style:

I want it this style for ease of baking - not having to drop the dough into a deep pan. I also want it to be dual purpose so I'm not keeping this in addition to my skillet. I am looking for one that's 12 inch diameter but in all of my searches I have not seen any examples bigger than 10.5.

Does anyone know of a big one of these that exists?

I’ve only seen the Lodge 3qt version

If you want a cloche, you could try:
Unscrew the handle from the lid
Preheat the lid and Dutch oven upside down
Pull the rack out
lift the Dutch oven
Drop your dough on the lid
Drop the Dutch oven over it
Bake

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 27, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7202657775653080366

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Because I buy 90% of my spices at penzey's, last big order I bought a bunch of empty jars and moved the other 10% into the same size/shape jars and labels for uniformity. Thin long measuring spoons for the occasion where actually measuring something is necessary. Spice cabinet has two double decker lazy susans separated into peppers, indian, sichuan, mediterranean. I used to use mason jars but they were just too big and there wasn't room for anything else to live in my kitchen cabinets in an apartment. Any number of good options but ultimately i would avoid doing something too specialized that you'll have trouble replacing/adding to later, and stick with something uniform like penzeys or something that is at least mostly standard and can stack like mason jars (you could use the smaller ones for saffron and poo poo while putting basil/etc in the bigger ones).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

speaking of "broken off at some point" this guy needs to trim his goddamn fingernails, jesus

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Happiness Commando posted:

I use the smallest (4oz?) delitainers for spices and it's glorious, but sounds like it would take up too much space for you

Went and grabbed some delitainers, just for general use, not spices, though I did walk up and down the aisles of the restaurant supply store looking for ideas.

Karat brand is loving garbage, as soon as I put my reheated leftovers into one, it became soft and crumpled under the weight of trying to put the lid on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm looking for 16x12 baking sheets for the Anova oven. I ordered these off Amazon and they're a perfect fit but one of them warped on me literally the first time I used it.

e: make that both

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 1, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

I'm looking for 16x12 baking sheets for the Anova oven. I ordered these off Amazon and they're a perfect fit but one of them warped on me literally the first time I used it.

Look for ones that say “reinforced” or “heavy duty”

they will have a metal bar tastefully hidden inside the curl of the rim so that the only way you’d know it was there was by the weight of the pan bring heftier

Edit: also avoid brands that have a nonsense all-caps name, they tend to be cheap crap

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 1, 2023

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Looks like the Nordic Ware Jelly Roll Pan(https://www.nordicware.com/products/naturals-jelly-roll-pan/) might just work, it's a slight bit short in both dimensions but I'd image it's close enough to fit still (15.8"x11.3" vs 16"x12"). Nordic Ware pans are my absolute favorite and have been for the past decade since I started using them. Never had a single one warp on me and I use them in the fridge, in the freezer, on the grill, in the regular oven, in the toaster oven, etc.

I believe they've also been ATK's choice pick for a few years running and they typically rank near the top if not the top in basically any online review/food blogger/etc type place. Can't go wrong with Nordic Ware if they make a pan that fits your size/need, they are the best. I'd say buy one at least to see if it fits and if it doesn't oh well, at least you still have a badass sheet pan that does all sheet pan activities very well. They aren't even really any more expensive than the ones you already purchased and the racks/knockoff silpats might even fit in them as well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

+1 for Nordic Ware pans, we replaced all of our half and quarter sheet pans that all see heavy use and I couldn't be happier with them.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that the raised "Nordic Ware" logo/script on the pans is .01% more difficult to clean than the rest of the cooking surface, but that's literally my only gripe with them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What do you guys think of stainless steel for baking sheets

https://www.amazon.com/Wildone-Baking-Sheet-Stainless-Cookie/dp/B07NNQWMCW/

https://www.amazon.com/TeamFar-Stainless-20%D714%D71-Healthy-Dishwasher/dp/B07P958JVN/

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I had a couple of older Nordic Ware nonstick chicken friers - the big sauté pans with vertical sides - and they were amazing, used them as my workhorse ‘sautéing a lot of stuff’ pan until the coating came off. They seem to have replaced that with a newer model and mine developed a pretty pronounced bulge in the middle after its first use.

Just one anecdote of them also having a lovely ‘warp after one use’ (also a different kind of pan) so take with a pasta water level of salt, but if it’s not uncommon with that pan now it’ll be sad as theirs was good and cheap.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Midniter posted:

+1 for Nordic Ware pans, we replaced all of our half and quarter sheet pans that all see heavy use and I couldn't be happier with them.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that the raised "Nordic Ware" logo/script on the pans is .01% more difficult to clean than the rest of the cooking surface, but that's literally my only gripe with them.

I hated that embossed logo so much I left them behind in a move and got ripped off on shipping to replace them with wincos from an online restaurant store

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I always just buy the unbranded ones from GFS or whatever your local restaurant supply shop is. No hard to clean logos and I’ve done unspeakable things to them and never had them flex.

We’ve also ordered shitloads of half and full no-brand versions from Webstaurant store for non-food use at my work and they stand up to industrial abuse very well too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My only frustration with the NordicWare ones is you can’t run them through the dishwasher, or the aluminum oxidizes and gets black powder on everything forever. That’s the only reason I’d consider a different pan

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most recipes won't be adjusted for them? It'll probably result in a more brown bottom if you cook on the wire and about the same if you cook on a stone. I know adding the non stick silicone mats result in a browner bottom because of something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone been experiencing this on their Le Creusets?

Reddit seems to think it’s user error from thermal shock

This guy says Staubs don’t get it and generally seems to love Staub’s enamel way more:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7205621358410190123

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

My only frustration with the NordicWare ones is you can’t run them through the dishwasher, or the aluminum oxidizes and gets black powder on everything forever. That’s the only reason I’d consider a different pan

I, uh, seasoned my ruined aluminum pans with flax oil. This was after Google suggested that this isn't a thing.

Turns out it's a fine thing that can save a ruined pan as long as you don't mind seasoning it 5 times before first use, and wiping really clean between seasonings to get whatever oxide flakes off.

They're now dishwasher safe for ~20 wash cycles or so, until I need to run another couple layers of seasoning. They're my go-to when I know something is messy enough to go dishwasher, like with lots of oil or baked on cheese.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’m surprised the seasoning adhered well enough when the surface under it was coming off. Tbf I have accidentally seasoned the tops of my pans (roasting chickens will do it), but not the outsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

You should try some barkeepers friend + the "abrasive" side of a regular dish sponge and that should fix that oxide type layer right up I'd imagine. I had one that got left outside beside the grill for a few months and got torn up pretty bad from that, barkeepers friend solved that with just a few minutes of scrubbing action. It's been perfectly fine since.

Realistically though you should never really need to run sheet pans through the dishwasher. If you just use a sponge, hot water and some regular dish soap and give it a good once over then dry it off, that is all the cleaning they need. Coming from working in commercial kitchens, bakeries and restaurants where in some cases we used hundreds upon hundreds of sheet pans a day, not a single one ever went through the actual dishwasher. It's always done by hand. You want to build up a little bit of a layer of "seasoning" on them as the previous poster mentioned. I'm not a metallurgist but I'd imagine it's not exactly the same as cast iron, but it's similar. The discolorations and such around the corners and edges are actually preferential and perfectly fine for the pan. Oil and baking sprays are your friend here, always use plenty. I spray down the entire top of the pan when I use them even if I'm only roasting a few chicken thighs or a few veggies, etc. You'll see that over time the pans brown/cook food more consistently and predictably/evenly, they clean easier and most importantly, they look cooler. Your sheet pans should look like they've seen some poo poo IMO.

Your mileage may vary and maybe peoples OCD won't allow it, but from my experience the typical home chef's obsessiveness over scrubbing sheet pans until they are 100% spotless or placing them in the dishwasher is wholly unnecessary.