Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a simple way to separate kids movies and tv shows from my stuff so that they don’t somehow pick wondershowzen or something they think is for them? My first thought was creating a separate library and hiding the main libraries on the TVs they use, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I have Kids TV and Kids Movies libraries. As a bonus, then they don't get surfaced on my Home as suggestions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Separate libraries is probably the surest way. You can also have users that are gated by age classification of your content but I think especially if you're not going by US ratings the results can be a bit unpredictable.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

univbee posted:

Separate libraries is probably the surest way. You can also have users that are gated by age classification of your content but I think especially if you're not going by US ratings the results can be a bit unpredictable.

yeah, separate libraries is the safest option, but if you want to go the route of a managed account with ratings restrictions, you can filter by tags as well as ratings. There's a handful of PG movies in my library that are too much for kids, so I've got it set up to where I can slap a "not-kids" tag on something and that'll guarantee it gets filtered out of their view.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, separate libraries is the safest option, but if you want to go the route of a managed account with ratings restrictions, you can filter by tags as well as ratings. There's a handful of PG movies in my library that are too much for kids, so I've got it set up to where I can slap a "not-kids" tag on something and that'll guarantee it gets filtered out of their view.

splash was PG but you get to see darryl hannah's rear end

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Blotto_Otter posted:

The reverse is also possible.There are some movies that are PG but I'm fine with my 4 year old watching (ex: Hocus Pocus) and for that stuff I add a "Family" tag and she gets access. I don't maintain separate libraries for movies, but I do for kids shows. Movies are more likely to stick around, but I feel like someday I'll get to reclaim the space Pepa Pig and Paw Patrol take up.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I keep everything in my main libraries, and have separate kids movie and tv folders with softlinks from the main folders. Plex picks it up like it would actual files, it works pretty well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Thank you Plex for auto enabling this new Outro Detection on my libraries without asking me. Yet another feature they launched and never touch or update again

Man, you just can’t please everybody.

It’s on by default because they actually want people to use it instead of the 5% of users who stumble upon it in the settings.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Just to weigh in on the kids stuff having a separate library. If you're running docket I highly recommend setting up dedicated sonarr and radarr containers for the kid stuff/any other separate libraries.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are people using Docker to run Plex on a Synology? I'm installing the binary directly on-NAS right now, but it's annoying to keep updating it.

e: Synology is running a Watchtower container already for other Docker content

I've only ever used the app package and manually update it whenever there's a Plex server update that's worthwhile. Kind of crazy how out of date the Synology app is.

Finally got TDARR up and running with my gaming PC (9700K and a 3080) as the transcode node and pleasantly surprised. A lot of Googling was showing people with 3080s getting transcode rates of around 120-150fps total but I'm getting above 400fps routinely.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Warbird posted:

I used to do that but moved to the app package as I could never get hardware transcoding to place nice with the Docker Plex.

It's actually doable via the docker container now. It used to drive me batty how out of date the synology package was and it turns out you just need to map the GPU drivers to the container in order to get hardware acceleration working in the image.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

It's actually doable via the docker container now. It used to drive me batty how out of date the synology package was and it turns out you just need to map the GPU drivers to the container in order to get hardware acceleration working in the image.

How do you go about doing that? I assumed it did that already, I didn’t know you had to map anything other than network stuff to the container

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How do you go about doing that? I assumed it did that already, I didn’t know you had to map anything other than network stuff to the container

code:
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
Is about it I think.

I think this is the guide I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzm_Cmhs6t8

You might need to update the drivers in synology or update some permissions - it's been a while since I did it. Nice thing is that you can do tone mapping via the docker image, which can't be done in the synology app.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

code:
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
Is about it I think.

I think this is the guide I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzm_Cmhs6t8

You might need to update the drivers in synology or update some permissions - it's been a while since I did it. Nice thing is that you can do tone mapping via the docker image, which can't be done in the synology app.

For Intel QuickSync, this is the correct answer.

Note that if you're using swarm mode, it won't work. This only works with docker-compose.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

iPod facto, you should be using compose to begin with. Also the Syn packages are kept up to date as much as any others. You just have to do it manually but the process is painless.

And no, I’m not fixing auto correct and I don’t know if that’s how the expression is used.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That’s why apple named it that yeah

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Anyone ever tried using Ezarr? Didn’t know it existed until I checked out the trash guides. I haven’t had time to set up my stuff yet, just got a fresh ubuntu LTS install up and running but I might give it a shot. Worst case scenario I just start from scratch, it seems quick enough to set up.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Plex is transcoding video on a file* that it should direct play. I think the problem is the audio, the file has DTS which my sound system can't handle. However, transcoding the audio seems to also force transcode on the video. If I turn off the audio passthrough or select and AC3 audio stream then everything direct plays. I expect it's something to do with the container but I don't know? Does plex say anywhere why it's transcoding?

*edit: On furter examination it seems like it's on all 4k HEVC files.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 20, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tea Bone posted:

Plex is transcoding video on a file that it should direct play. I think the problem is the audio, the file has DTS which my sound system can't handle. However, transcoding the audio seems to also force transcode on the video. If I turn off the audio passthrough then everything direct plays. I've got other files with DTS and they just transcode the audio and video direct plays. I expect it's something to do with the container but I don't know? Does plex say anywhere why it's transcoding?

Just a rule it out you’re not running subtitles are you?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

That Works posted:

Just a rule it out you’re not running subtitles are you?

Nope, no subtitles. I've gone through the usual suspects, running locally, hardwired to the router using a Shield as the client. Like I said, if I turn off the audio pass-through so the audio isn't transcoding either then the video also direct plays.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tea Bone posted:

Plex is transcoding video on a file that it should direct play. I think the problem is the audio, the file has DTS which my sound system can't handle. However, transcoding the audio seems to also force transcode on the video. If I turn off the audio passthrough then everything direct plays. I've got other files with DTS and they just transcode the audio and video direct plays. I expect it's something to do with the container but I don't know? Does plex say anywhere why it's transcoding?

Check H264 level limit in the client device that's forcing a transcode? I'm honestly not sure if that's still a thing though, or even an option you can still change in the Plex client app settings, but I do remember not having a client app set to H264 level 5.1+ would force a transcode on specific files due to the bitrate cap imposed per level.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

teagone posted:

Check H264 level limit in the client device that's forcing a transcode? I'm honestly not sure if that's still a thing though, or even an option you can still change in the Plex client app settings, but I do remember not having a client app set to H264 level 5.1+ would force a transcode on specific files due to the bitrate cap imposed per level.

It' still changeable but even disabling it entirely doesn't make a difference. Further info if it helps; the video codec is H265 but it's getting transcoded to h264.

edit: I've just created a new ac3 audio stream with tdarr and using that stream everything direct plays so Plex is definitely doing something weird transcoding the video with DTS. It's unideal to convert my entire library so would really like to get to the bottom of what's up with Plex.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 20, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tea Bone posted:

It' still changeable but even disabling it entirely doesn't make a difference. Further info if it helps; the video codec is H265 but it's getting transcoded to h264.

edit: I've just created a new ac3 audio stream with tdarr and using that stream everything direct plays so Plex is definitely doing something weird transcoding the video with DTS. It's unideal to convert my entire library so would really like to get to the bottom of what's up with Plex.

This happens to me too on a Synology and I don’t know why.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

PRADA SLUT posted:

This happens to me too on a Synology and I don’t know why.

Its difficult to find anything about this online but we can't be the only ones with the problem.

I've found this post in Reddit which seems to be the same thing but there's no resolution to the thread.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

e: actually, that wouldn't be the worst thing. The setup would be more difficult, but I already have a public authenticated WebDAV server running on the media libraries, which Kodi supports. And this would basically force people to never transcode. Hmm....

To follow up on this thought: the reason you don't want to do this is because it means Kodi has to open and read every single file over the network to determine metadata. It's going to hammer your web server and your network connection. It's a bad idea. Jellyfin will be faster, even if you're getting the "thundering herd library scan" problems I'm getting. And Plex will blow this out of the water.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jellyfin update: I'm trying to chase down a Jellyfin bug that makes it slow AF, so I'm running it as my main driver now, so I can debug.

I hate y'all for somehow making me do this despite nobody actually suggesting I do it.

Anyway, thought the thread might enjoy this screencap of Jellyfin getting confused

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bing Crosby - Aliens Exist

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bing 182, doing all of his classics in a pop punk fashion.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bing Crosby - Family Reunion

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My searches in Sonarr are unbelievably loving slow. Like 5 minutes to get results in a manual search.

I have Jackett and NZBHydra2 linked to Sonarr. Jackett has about 10 sources, but only two are "passed" to Sonarr. NZBHydra has two sources. Sonarr has only those three sources in the "Indexers" tab (the two from Jackett and the one "macro-source" from NZBHydra).

Is there a guide on how to correctly set up these services such that searching isn't so slow? I assume Sonarr is searching all sorts of garbage that's completely irrelevant and I haven't configured it correctly, but I'm not sure how to check.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 23, 2023

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

PRADA SLUT posted:

My searches in Sonarr are unbelievably loving slow. Like 5 minutes to get results in a manual search.

I have Jackett and NZBHydra2 linked to Sonarr. Jackett has about 10 sources, but only two are "passed" to Sonarr. NZBHydra has two sources. Sonarr has only those three sources in the "Indexers" tab (the two from Jackett and the one "macro-source" from NZBHydra).

Is there a guide on how to correctly set up these services such that searching isn't so slow? I assume Sonarr is searching all sorts of garbage that's completely irrelevant and I haven't configured it correctly, but I'm not sure how to check.

Sonarr should only be making one search on each indexer. I've never used jackett so can't advise there. But under the history and stats tab on hydra, you can goto search history and view and repeat whatever sonarr is searching. Is hydra itself taking a long time to return results? If so I'd disable each indexer on there to see if either of them are the culprit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You might have a slow rear end source in there somewhere.
I have 5 sources configured and a manual search takes about 30-40s, using jackett into sonarr.

Mind, this is also configured to only search the relevant categories. I don't know how it might impact your search times if you don't fully configure that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Khablam posted:

You might have a slow rear end source in there somewhere.

Best practice is to use rear end sources with under 500ms latency.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I was reading about macvlan's in Docker and if I'm reading this right, you can use it to make your containers appear as devices on the host network? This idea holds a lot of appeal if so. My container setup is pretty simple, just some starrs, Plex etc in a docker-compose file. Anyone done this before? Is it a bigger pain in the rear end than it's worth even in small setups?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I played around with it a little bit, but generally each service will be on a different port, so there isn't much use to giving each its own IP too.

Maybe you might have a good reason to have the public side a reverse proxy show up as its own host on the network.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s a little hinky to wrap your head around but is pretty painless one you get it going. Generally you’d be better off just yeeting a port at it, but for some stuff like DNS or RPs you’re going to want to reserve 80/443 for use with the container, but you do you. Plex wouldn’t really benefit from this but if you want documentation I think I have a bookmark around here with a decent example.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Speaking of docker compose, I’m teaching myself all this stuff and have a (maybe) dumb question.

I’m getting my containers set up and binding the proper directories to them. I know people have automated systems where they can search out movies/shows and download them. When set up properly, does radarr/sonarr create new directories for each show/movie added? Or if I go to my home/user/data/media/tv directory will it just be a long list of jumbled tv show episodes after a while?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah they'll organize stuff into directories by default, and there are some related config options like whether sonarr will create season directories.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Cool, good to know. I’m still very early in the process but this is a lot of interesting and cool stuff. I already got my plex container in an error loop and it generated about 150 crash reports before I figured out how to kill it. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Alright, USFF PC has arrived. Going to migrate my Plex server from a VM on ESXi to a physical. I want some quick sync goodness.

Now the question is, will I wait for a sale on Plex pass, or just say gently caress it.