Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Do they have keysmash names? Because those are RMT bots.

I can only see them with the idle camera, so I'm not sure I can target them to see.

They're clearly bots based on the movement, but they're not doing anything other than inching along. Maybe they eventually shout RMT spam, but I don't see that and them at the same time. And they wouldn't need to be under the map, numerous, and dressed identically for that.

Reddit thinks they're farming gil. I don't see how that is making them gil. Maybe they're at the end of a farming loop and waiting for the seller to collect?

It's silly and seems so easy to get banned over. But they've been at it for like a year. And it's always Lalas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Heran Bago posted:

On Omega there are like 12 identical Lalas under the map at Limsa or Gridania following each other across the void one ilm at a time.

Now I know where that one lala in the crowd ambience comes from.

The walls

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

I can only see them with the idle camera, so I'm not sure I can target them to see.

They're clearly bots based on the movement, but they're not doing anything other than inching along. Maybe they eventually shout RMT spam, but I don't see that and them at the same time. And they wouldn't need to be under the map, numerous, and dressed identically for that.

Reddit thinks they're farming gil. I don't see how that is making them gil. Maybe they're at the end of a farming loop and waiting for the seller to collect?

It's silly and seems so easy to get banned over. But they've been at it for like a year. And it's always Lalas.

Is Omega preferred rn? We had a bunch of these in Dynamis one day and they were probably farming the free 1 mil gil new characters get if they get to level 30 when made on a preferred or new world.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

God Hole posted:

ah, things are clicking into place

I appreciate the players that will set up elaborate tableaus with those semi-permanent fixtures. there's been a guy standing in a really prominent spot in Uldah since I started last month and a few days ago I was walking by and a group of 4 or 5 players had set their characters up to make it look like he had just committed a murder in the street

We respect the /PlayDead Ul'dah Aetheryte Idler in this house

(Probably not who you're talking about unless you're on Zalera, but I see him every time I use the free teleport from like, Kugane and I appreciate him and all the people playing detective/"oh god there's a murder" around him)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked the Gunbreaker quests. They were a cute little story about found family and moving on from past traumas or something like that, I don't know, it's been a while. The first quest with the Sylph pop star and the last quest where you fought the Garlean rear end in a top hat were fun.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

My favorite permanent AFKer is the lala in Excalibur Limsa doing the Manderville dance with a fat chocobo head on.
Nimbex Nombex is the best.

He's not always in Limsa either, I've occasionally met him dancing in Gridania too.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’ve been having a lot of fun with this so far. Just about to start the three initial dungeons. I wish I’d not blitzed through so much quest text back in 21 when I created my character, because now I’m finding that the world itself has so much care put into it. The incidental details make everything feel really fleshed out. I usually find worldbuilding tedious and dumb in genre fiction, as far as literature goes anyhow, but something about this game’s world is really drawing me in. I’ve not felt that way since way back in the day, probably when. I played Asheron’s Call at its launch. I’m even more impressed because Square had no reason to think this game would have a future beyond the second shot that the game got. It makes all that care even more impressive to me. And knowing it only gets better is really exciting.
I’ve been slowly trying to untangle the knot that is the interface, and to make it more accessible for me. I’m glad to say that the game has tons of incidental features that, though I’m sure it wasn’t intended this way, make the game more accessible as a whole. Every game needs robust positional audio, btw, alongside clear and distinct audio tells for gameplay features. It’s small, and I bet most folks don’t notice it at all, but I do, and it conveys information vital to gameplay clearly and efficiently. Every class has a bespoke set of sounds for drawing and sheathing, every ability has a distinct auditory tell, even wearing different gear and walking around sounds different. It’s great.

I think I’ll be able to solve almost all of my interface quibbles, but I have one huge complaint, and I wonder if there’s a solution I haven’t found yet.

I hate the loving map. Every developer that thinks it’s immersive to have sepia toned maps needs, at the least, to offer an alternative color scheme. It’s so loving hard for me to read it because everything blends. I despise it. All I want is a black background with white outlining, maybe grayscale shading for elevation? But as far as I can tell, there’s no alternative map view. Maybe I’m overlooking something? The settings are loving labyrinthine enough. I’m on PS4, so I doubt there’s a solution. It’s really frustrating to struggle just to see quest markers, even worse when you don’t get one on the border of the minimap unless your’e in the correct zone, and even more frustrating that icons which indicate quest progress are different depending on the activity. I have to try to memorize different blobs, commit them to memory so I can pick them out of the clutter on the map. Something so core to the game shouldn’t be so annoying, but here we are.

If there’s a way to recolor the map on PC via mods, I could snag my partner’s laptop and play on that, but I don’t want to hog it with this game if I can avoid it. Thoughts?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I don't understand bait for ocean fishing/for fishing in general. All these baits talk about being good for oceam fishing, but literally the only bait that works is the basic level 1 lure :psyboom:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ShootaBoy posted:

I don't understand bait for ocean fishing/for fishing in general. All these baits talk about being good for oceam fishing, but literally the only bait that works is the basic level 1 lure :psyboom:

The only baits that work in Ocean Fishing (the instanced event) are the versatile lure and the three special ones sold by the vendor on the pier and on the boat (Ragworm, Krill, and Plump Worm, iirc). Any other bait that lists itself as "for ocean fishing" means in the general sense of "for saltwater overworld areas," not the minigame. The wording is... not clear!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

If there’s a way to recolor the map on PC via mods, I could snag my partner’s laptop and play on that, but I don’t want to hog it with this game if I can avoid it. Thoughts?

The dalamud plugin simpletweaks lets you recolor quest circles on the map, but I haven't noticed one for the entire map itself.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There are also specific overworld baits that work in Ocean Fishing the minigame but are only if you're chasing the super-rare special fish that need specific conditions to even show up.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The map in this game unfortunately just kind of sucks rear end. It's gets worse once extreme verticality gets more heavily used, though they thankfully realize "oh the map has severe problems with depicting this" by Stormblood in my experience.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

Is Omega preferred rn? We had a bunch of these in Dynamis one day and they were probably farming the free 1 mil gil new characters get if they get to level 30 when made on a preferred or new world.

I don't know if it's preferred. Wouldn't they be out in the world doing the MSQ then? Why gather under the hottest spots in game instead of like Coerthas?

Apparently teleportation or location hacking.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

If they're moving out of bounds and not going back in, I'd suspect they're being put in place for the actual screaming about gil-selling stage of things. Shout doesn't care about distance, just area.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So I just hit Endwalker (:toot:) and think I'm going to switch to Sage as my main class since my previous main class, White Mage, is now at max level. I did the intro quests last night but I still feel very unsure about how to use the class in group content, does anyone have any good guides or tutorials or what have you for helping someone get the basics of Sage? I don't need like a "how to clear Savage content" guide or whatever, just something so I can not make an rear end of myself in a dungeon/trial/raid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

quiggy posted:

So I just hit Endwalker (:toot:) and think I'm going to switch to Sage as my main class since my previous main class, White Mage, is now at max level. I did the intro quests last night but I still feel very unsure about how to use the class in group content, does anyone have any good guides or tutorials or what have you for helping someone get the basics of Sage? I don't need like a "how to clear Savage content" guide or whatever, just something so I can not make an rear end of myself in a dungeon/trial/raid.

WeskAlber is always the best place to start with stuff like this, he gives a great overview of all the skills and how they're used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHi_iaTcnA

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHi_iaTcnA

WeskAlber seems competent enough.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Watch that then practice on your Chocobo and some mobs of the same level.

I'm in the same position as you, just about to cap my WHM main. I tried Sage and it's kind of a lot to take in at once. I watched that video, practiced and then ran one dungeon. No one died, but the mentor had so many helpful tips for me that I got overwhelmed. Put the class down and resolved to rewatch the video, which hasn't happened yet. The biggest adjustment personally is nothing like Benediction.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Sage, if you haven't played scholar, is very different from whm, so the feeling of a lot to take in is normal.

Basically the shield healers reward thinking ahead (shields, mits, regens) and being proactive, what the aforementioned video calls "control" over reactive game play like whm/ast for the most part.

Since your dps is just filler, the real fun of sage is optimizing your resources for a given encounter. It's easier to get into a tough state if people are doing dumb things like standing in orange than it would be for whm/ast, just since most of the raw healing you have is based in preventing damage, not as much healing it.

Those 0 dmg tankbusters from your crit e. Diag feel real good though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's a few lowbie dungeons where being a sage is a bit rougher too due to important parts of your toolkit not being quite there. Also my tips come more from the perspective of a scholar since there's overlap between scholar's and sage's toolkits, and I don't main sage.

Physis is a button you wanna make liberal use of actively pushing, not necessarily on cooldown, but it's not a button you wait for emergencies to push either. Since it's an ability, it's something you can easily weave in--between your dps or healing spells, and it'll probably be the main thing providing a good chunk of your passive healing when you're not suddenly called upon to throw your shields on everything. Your addersgall skills serve two functions, both to act as your primary go-to buttons to get someone healed up immediately but also to maintain your MP, so you don't wanna be just sitting on addersgall stacks all the time either, so don't be afraid to just throw out a kerachole/taurochole just for mitigation. Your real emergency gotta heal everyone button immediately is a combination of ideally a Zoe-boosted eukrasian diagnosis, and immediately popping the shields with Pepsis.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Allarion posted:

Your real emergency gotta heal everyone button immediately is a combination of ideally a Zoe-boosted eukrasian diagnosis, and immediately popping the shields with Pepsis.

No, don't do this. I'm assuming you mean prognosis (aoe), but it's true either way.

Pepsis doesn't get the Zoe effect, and you're just blowing up the boosted shields...

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In general, unlike WHM you're bad at healing people up quickly from low HP so you want to try to stop them getting too low instead of playing chicken.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, Pepsis heals based on whether the target(s) have the single target or aoe shield on them, not caring how much shield is left, or if it was a crit. It eats the whole shield too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love all the little worthless world building quests, they really get my dopamine flowing.

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic here either. I haven't felt like this since Skyrim. Just bopping around in an warm fuzzy ADHD haze, filling my quest log with trash

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A big thing with Sage is a lot of your stuff is AoE but good for single target.

Most of this is higher or max level stuff, but a typical pull I'll use:

Physis + Kerachole at the start.
Taurachole 15s in.
Kerachole 30s in, if required.

That's 45 seconds of 10% mit plus some regen time.

Haima / Panhaima (with Krasis if available) are both good for the tank.

Use Holos on spicier pulls because it's incredibly useful with its 3 effects.

Prepull with Euk Diag for the shield, but don't use it to fish for toxicon procs in combat, unless you need to move or whatever.

Zoe + Pneuma is a huge heal. One of the biggest in the game.

Druchole should be your lowest priority spender.

Don't forget other CDs like Soteria, and try to avoid GCDs altogether if possible.

You can probably dump half your cooldowns each pull, alternating the set, and you'll always have toolkit available for the next.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 23, 2023

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No, don't do this. I'm assuming you mean prognosis (aoe), but it's true either way.

Pepsis doesn't get the Zoe effect, and you're just blowing up the boosted shields...

Ah my mistake. This is me just substituting crit-adlo and deployment tactics, and they are absolutely not the same thing at all lol. Also crit-adlo deploys aren't for emergencies, they're just for feeling cool.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Zoe/pneuma combo is my "HOLY gently caress EVERYONE NEEDS A HEAL RIGHT THE gently caress NOW GO GO GO" buttons. A physis'd zoe'd pneuma after the ex1 trials first "everybody's hp goes to one and you have limited time to get everyone back to full or they die" basically takes care of 90% of the mechanic, it's great.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Antivehicular posted:

The only baits that work in Ocean Fishing (the instanced event) are the versatile lure and the three special ones sold by the vendor on the pier and on the boat (Ragworm, Krill, and Plump Worm, iirc). Any other bait that lists itself as "for ocean fishing" means in the general sense of "for saltwater overworld areas," not the minigame. The wording is... not clear!

What the gently caress. I can only :psyduck: harder, but at least I know that now, so thanks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The bait existed long before the Ocean Fishing instance did. I guess nobody thought of that when they named it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they should really just rename the instance to Fishing Cruise or something

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I will always encourage:

If you want to practice a class in a real dungeon scenario, but don't want to screw over other players due to being bad at the class or still learning, This is an excellent time to use Duty Support. They are competent, if slow on trash due to not AoEing, but the tank will maintain aggro on the whole trash pack if you decide to AOE yourself (and even if you just decide "screw the rest of y'all, Imma focus THIS target instead"), they will do mechanics properly (usually. Sometimes they dodge one AoE marker only to step into another one. Once in a while they might Greed and pay for it.) But most importantly, they will not judge you for not knowing your class.

If you don't want to risk the ire of other players to learn a new class, go with the people who love you unconditionally - the Scions.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how the Sea Au Ra have been living at the bottom of the sea for centuries but it takes until Kurenai starts a business before someone comes up with the idea of "warm clothing".

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

quiggy posted:

I don't need like a "how to clear Savage content" guide or whatever, just something so I can not make an rear end of myself in a dungeon/trial/raid.

The main thing of all this is just the basic healer idea of trying to maximize your oGCD use, and spend as many GCDs as possible on damage. This matters slightly more on Sage since a missed damaging GCD is also a missed Kardia heal. In particular on Sage, resist the temptation to constantly keep shields up on everyone.

General Sage tips for roulette content:
- Unlike WHMs, Sages are not very good at healing people quickly. You will need to be a little more proactive.
- Usually you will just put Kardia on the tank and forget about it. You can move it if someone eats a dot or similar -- it does not cost a GCD so it's free healing -- but doing so is not necessary, and not something you should worry about while learning the job.
- Put up shields between pulls. At least, E. Diagnosis the tank, E. Prognosis the group, then stand in an aoe marker for more Toxikon charges.
- In dungeons you can expect to use 1 min cooldowns every pull and 2 min cooldowns every other pull. 1 minute cooldowns are Physis, and later Krasis. 2 min cooldowns are Haima, Panhaima, Holos and Pneuma. There's also Soteria on 90s. Accordingly: Physis and Krasis should be used on every pull, early to make subsequent casts benefit from their power buff.
- Zoe only works on GCD heals. You'll almost always use Zoe together with Pneuma at 90, but before then just use it on Eukrasian Prognosis or Diagnosis when you can remember to do so. It's minor before Pneuma so don't worry too much.
- Addersgall: Single target, prefer Taurochole, then Kerachole if >L77, then Druochole. Aoe, prefer Kerachole if >L77, then Ixochole. Kerachole at L77 and below does almost nothing outside of Savage & Ultimates.
- Phlegma is a better aoe than Dyskrasia and a better single-target ability than Dosis. Toxikon is about par with Dyskrasia and Dosis. Treat them as primarily movement tools, but also as DPS cooldowns that you should use before they cap (especially Phlegma). In aoe, try to use them while targeting the highest health target in the scrum for better effect.
- Avoid non-Eukrasian Diagnosis and Prognosis. They're not very useful outside of heal-to-full-or-die scenarios, or when synced <L30.
- Pepsis is extremely weak. It's useful in heal-to-full-or-die scenarios and that's about it. Do not feel like you need to find a use for it in dungeons. You can forget about it and lose nothing of value.
- Panhaima: in dungeons, just treat it as another tank-healing oGCD for trash. For aoe, don't sit on it hoping for some situation to come up where you can pop all the shields. If it is available and there's a raidwide coming then use it and let it expire for the heal. It's more important to get more uses in than it is to get a few hundred potency more from a use.

Your basic strategy for every dungeon pull will be to alternate a damaging GCD, then a healing oGCD if doing so will not overheal. I will typically open with Dosis (or Phlegma, or Toxicon, or Dyskrasia) > Krasis on tank > Dosis > Physis > Dosis > [Haima OR Panhaima] > Dosis > [Holos OR Soteria], alternating which of the 2 mins I use between pulls. Follow with addersgall abilities when they will not overheal. If you run out of addersgall before the pull runs out of mobs then spam Eukrasian Diagnosis on the tank, but this shouldn't normally happen. At lower levels you'll have fewer cooldowns, adjust accordingly and plan a division to alternate your 2 mins.

In trials and normal raids you'll not need to worry as much about the tank. Just keep Kardia on them and they'll take care of themselves. Use Pneuma, Physis, Kerachole or Ixochole after raidwide damage: this should cover all or nearly all the healing you do. Use Taurochole, Druochole and Haima for spot healing if someone stands in fire, or after (and occasionally before) tankbusters. Do not feel that you need to keep shields up on everyone constantly, or that you must always put up shields before raidwides. Apply shields while out of combat, and if you believe someone will die without your shielding.

E: As for when someone will die without your shielding, it depends. Roulette content isn't designed to require healers with shields, so you should assume that shields are superfluous if everyone is at or near full health. Use your best judgement below that. Sometimes you'll get it wrong, and either you massively overheal, or that person with 3 vuln stacks wasn't as safe as you thought and will need an Egeiro. A mistake is unlikely to be very costly either way. If it's new content for you and you feel safer overshielding then, sure, overshield. As a rule try not to worry too much, and especially don't worry that someone at full health will immediately keel over because you didn't press Eukrasian Prognosis.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 24, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how the Sea Au Ra have been living at the bottom of the sea for centuries but it takes until Kurenai starts a business before someone comes up with the idea of "warm clothing".

"We shivered at the bottom of the sea for centuries, and that's how we liked it! Now stop being forward-thinking, young lady!"

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

BurningBeard posted:

I think I’ll be able to solve almost all of my interface quibbles, but I have one huge complaint, and I wonder if there’s a solution I haven’t found yet.

I hate the loving map. Every developer that thinks it’s immersive to have sepia toned maps needs, at the least, to offer an alternative color scheme. It’s so loving hard for me to read it because everything blends. I despise it. All I want is a black background with white outlining, maybe grayscale shading for elevation? But as far as I can tell, there’s no alternative map view. Maybe I’m overlooking something? The settings are loving labyrinthine enough. I’m on PS4, so I doubt there’s a solution. It’s really frustrating to struggle just to see quest markers, even worse when you don’t get one on the border of the minimap unless your’e in the correct zone, and even more frustrating that icons which indicate quest progress are different depending on the activity. I have to try to memorize different blobs, commit them to memory so I can pick them out of the clutter on the map. Something so core to the game shouldn’t be so annoying, but here we are.

I don't think there's an in-game way to do it, unfortunately. There is a mod you can install with TexTools or Penumbra on PC that will use grayscale maps: https://www.xivmodarchive.com/modid/57235#info

There was a change made in 6.2 to recolor the large filled circle area markers "to improve support for color blindness" but it's not a big change and you'd need to use SimpleTweaks to change those. The icons didn't change though. There is a list of all of them here https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary_of_Icons, at least.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Now tell me how to play Scholar because good god. I want the fast queues to level up Summoner but the buttons, they're crazy

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alxprit posted:

Now tell me how to play Scholar because good god. I want the fast queues to level up Summoner but the buttons, they're crazy
Take the Sage guide and change some names. Most of the Scholar and Sage abilities are functionally identical.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Alxprit posted:

It's basically almost the same as Sage advice only easier cause you can leave your fairy on auto-pilot most of the time.

Your emergency button is even named Emergency Tactics!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

man crafting is gonna be a complete nightmare for my inventory huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Best advice I can give there is, wait until you unlock flying in ARR at the end of 2.0 before diving deep into DoH/DoL jobs, just to make gathering a lot less of a pain. Until you hit max level on your crafters, there's almost no resources that are a huge effort to collect, so don't be afraid to vend excess materials, unless you expect to use them again very soon.