Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

hotel just quoted me 22000 yen. if you have a name or number for a flat rate place let me know cause hotel's rate is absurd.

22,000JPY is the normal taxi rate from central Tokyo to Narita, the hotel isn’t trying to trick or rip you off.

The cheaper direct methods I could just find involve actual ride shares. Like the app.nearme.jp service. But the cheapest rate is for an actual ride share (6000JPY per person), so I guess there might be luggage space issues. A private ride in a large vehicle from them is also around 20,000JPY per vehicle I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man pack everything into a cardboard box and mail it back home through the post office. Discard old clothes. Then take the local train to Narita.

You can save a lot more money!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
If you have time , you can send bags ahead for cheap.

https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/area/jp/guide/NTJhowto0037-en/

Price wise it’s pretty much the cheapest and most convenient rate in the world so just pay em

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

thank's for the klook link was able to book an alphard for 116 bucks. stress relieved.

Also thank you for the kind offer Ned!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

on the shinkansen to Osaka, this train plays a phantom of the opera/draculas castle type beat before every station. peak comfy

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I was in Japan from the 4th to the 15th and almost laughed at how short the shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka was compared to the Tokyo - Kyoto ride. That short a ride was almost enough to put me to sleep while the longer one did make me nap.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Is it kosher to post my メルカリ profile here? I’ve got a bunch of English games for sale if anyone is interested. PS4, 3DS and Vita mostly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wonton posted:

Man pack everything into a cardboard box and mail it back home through the post office. Discard old clothes. Then take the local train to Narita.

Never again. I value my time too much.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is it kosher to post my メルカリ profile here? I’ve got a bunch of English games for sale if anyone is interested. PS4, 3DS and Vita mostly.

Gut reaction that should more so be through SA Mart than this thread in terms of public listing, but I don’t think anyone reaching out privately would be a problem.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

Gut reaction that should more so be through SA Mart than this thread in terms of public listing, but I don’t think anyone reaching out privately would be a problem.

Hmm yeah that’s what I figured but thought more Japan specific people might see it here.
Maybe I’ll hold off for now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an actual LAN thread for locals? I always thought this one was more for casual tourism and trip planning, though admittedly the lines probably blur and the audience overlaps a bit with helpful locals reading the Tourism thread to lend a hand.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes but it's all the same people so everyone just posts here.
There is also a line group that you can join if you PM me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hmm yeah that’s what I figured but thought more Japan specific people might see it here.
Maybe I’ll hold off for now.

Post it in SA-Mart and link that thread from here, that's often how people advertise stuff in other places on the forum.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

harperdc posted:

Never again. I value my time too much.

Limited Express train to Narita isn't really that bad on the Keisei line. It is an hour and 14 minutes.

Skyliner is obviously better, but not the end of the world. If I wasn't in a hurry and I needed to end up at Narita airport from Tokyo station, I'd just take a bus.

I do enjoy taking the Evening Liner home at night though. That poo poo is just classy and worth the 450 yen upgrade.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ned posted:

Limited Express train to Narita isn't really that bad on the Keisei line. It is an hour and 14 minutes.

I’ve never lived far north, and the time I took the Yokosuka Line up through Chiba was from Yokohama. So that took forever.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, that train is much more painful because it follows the bay and is not direct. Keisei is pretty direct from Ueno to Narita.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone know a sporting good store that sells winning boxing gloves? I tried Center Sport, and fitness center suidibashi and they were sold out. would really like to buy sole gloves before i head home as the price goes up quite a bit when i order from america.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

actually is everything is probably closed today due to the holiday?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Big stores don't usually close for holidays except new years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

actually is everything is probably closed today due to the holiday?

Nah, the shopping mall is slammed. It’s not New Years.

Super Sports Xebio is the big sports chain, they might have boxing stuff but honestly that’s just my best guess.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

these are mostly specialty shops.

gonna call around and go with

"winning boxing glove no zaiko wa arimasu ka?"

hopefully they answer with iee cause that's the only word for no i understand.

edit: hopefully it's hai cause i would like to buy the gloves more than be told no .

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

harperdc posted:

Nah, the shopping mall is slammed. It’s not New Years.

Super Sports Xebio is the big sports chain, they might have boxing stuff but honestly that’s just my best guess.

thanks tried the one near kinshicho and no boxing gear at all. definitely limited to specialty shops.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

thanks tried the one near kinshicho and no boxing gear at all. definitely limited to specialty shops.

I would think if Center Sports doesn't have that specific brand in stock then a lot of places are going to be out of them.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ned posted:

I would think if Center Sports doesn't have that specific brand in stock then a lot of places are going to be out of them.

yeah. they're back ordered on the american website so i'm guessing they're getting wiped out locally due to favorable yen.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If all else fails, order from Amazon Japan to your nearest convenience store.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
sorry i never dropped recs for onomichi like i promised. i had a baby which is kind of interfering with my posting career! also it's now been four years since I was last there so ???

i'd go back to imabari just for the chicken skin at Toribayashi. chicken > towels

also saw a few people asking about where to find out about gigs/concerts in Tokyo. this is the answer: https://www.tokyogigguide.com/en/

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just woke up with my first real hangover for the trip, we went to an izakaya in Shinsekai near the Tsutenkaku tower and ate an unreal amount of kushikatsu. We're staying just off Dotonbori so we've mainly been hanging around the Minami area, probably go check out Umeda today - any must see or do stuff there? Otherwise, any random Osaka recommendations? Off to Fukuoka tomorrow.

midori-a-gogo posted:

i had a baby which is kind of interfering with my posting career!

Hey congrats! I'll be in Onomichi next week if you've got any tips lol.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Umeda has lots of shops, a Pokemon Center and a ferris wheel. Still fun though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Every time I visit Osaka, I try to stop by Silver Ball Planet, a huge pinball arcade.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I went on the giant ferris wheel in Osaka and it was a blast. Our hotel was right across the street from the Shinsekai and we found a Kura Sushi hidden near the Tsutenkaku open while most other restaurants were closed.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Umeda has lots of shops, a Pokemon Center and a ferris wheel. Still fun though.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I went on the giant ferris wheel in Osaka and it was a blast. Our hotel was right across the street from the Shinsekai and we found a Kura Sushi hidden near the Tsutenkaku open while most other restaurants were closed.

Yeah I think we will go on the ferris wheel then check out some shopping. Shinsekai was cool, I'm really developing a fondness for those kind of older/retro areas (shitamachi?).

leather fedora posted:

Every time I visit Osaka, I try to stop by Silver Ball Planet, a huge pinball arcade.

Ugh this is in Amemura, right? I was standing outside it yesterday morning looking at the 10 yen per game sign weighing up if it was worth the chance of losing the rest of my day to pinball and decided against it :sigh:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Oh maybe you'll also like the Sky Building, there's a small retro Japan street thing in the basement and you can get some good okonomiyaki there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Trip is rapidly approaching, we leave March 12th, we're all fully vaccinated and ready to go. I bought new luggage, we're going to the last day of the Spring Basho in Osaka, and have scheduled a tour of the storm drain system in Tokyo, along with some Noh theater. If anyone cares, our itinerary is as follows:

pre:
Date	        City    Place/Event
3/14/2023	Tokyo	Japan Sake And Shochu Information Center
3/14/2023	Tokyo	Imperial Palace
3/14/2023	Tokyo	Yasukuni Shrine
3/14/2023	Tokyo	Vampire Cafe
3/15/2023	Tokyo	Teamlab Planets
3/15/2023	Tokyo	Museum of Maritime Science
3/15/2023	Tokyo	DiverCity Tokyo Plaza
3/15/2023	Tokyo	Ariake Garden
3/15/2023	Tokyo	Odaiba
3/16/2023	Tokyo	Moff Animal Cafe Odawara
3/16/2023	Tokyo	Hakone Open Air Museum
3/16/2023	Tokyo	Tenzan Onsen
3/16/2023	Tokyo	Owakudani
3/16/2023	Tokyo	Hakone Sightseeing Cruise
3/17/2023	Tokyo	National Noh Theater
3/17/2023	Tokyo	Akhibara
3/17/2023	Tokyo	Yoyogi Park
3/17/2023	Tokyo	Shibuya
3/18/2023	Tokyo	Saitama Railway Museum
3/18/2023	Tokyo	Saitama - Hikawa Shrine
3/18/2023	Tokyo	Saitama - Omiya Bonsai Art Museum/Village
3/18/2023	Tokyo	Saitama - Prefectural Museum
3/18/2023	Tokyo	Flood drainway tour
3/19/2023	Tokyo	Tokyo National Museum
3/19/2023	Tokyo	Kaneiji Temple
3/20/2023	Tokyo	Tokyo Skytree
3/20/2023	Tokyo	Asakusa/Sensoji Temple
3/20/2023	Tokyo	Hama-Rikyu Gardens
3/21/2023	Nara	Nara National Museum
3/21/2023	Nara	Todaiji Temple
3/21/2023	Nara	Shin-Yakushiji Temple
3/21/2023	Nara	Harushika Sake Brewery
3/21/2023	Kyoto	Higashiyama District
3/21/2023	Kyoto	Gion Corner Cultural Show
3/21/2023	Kyoto	Kiyomizudera Temple
3/22/2023	Kyoto	Sagano Scenic Railway
3/22/2023	Kyoto	Moon Temple (Ginkakuji)
3/22/2023	Kyoto	Sun Temple (Kinkaku-ji)
3/23/2023	Kyoto	Fushimi Inari Shrine
3/23/2023	Kyoto	Fushimi Sake District
3/24/2023	Kyoto	Otter Cafe
3/24/2023	Kyoto	Suntory Yamazaki Distillery
3/24/2023	Kyoto	Kyoto Railway Museum
3/25/2023	Kyoto	Kyoto Imperial Palace/National Garden
3/25/2023	Kyoto	Nijo Castle
3/26/2023	Osaka	March Grand Sumo Tournament
3/27/2023	Osaka	Himeji Castle
3/27/2023	Osaka	Takenaka Carpentry Tools Museum
3/28/2023	Osaka	Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan
3/28/2023	Osaka	Osaka Castle Reconstruction
3/28/2023	Osaka	Museum of History
3/29/2023	Osaka	Osaka City Sewerage Science Museum
I hosed up when we were planning and gave us an extra day in Kyoto, so some of that will probably be excised. Anything we're missing that's super worth hitting/going to that's super overrated? We're three friends with no kids/partners, and mostly into infrastructure, good food, good drink, and animals. I'm big on cultural stuff (theater, museums, history). It's 8 days in Tokyo, one in Nara, four in Kyoto, and four in Osaka.

Also, what is the current recommendation for SIMs? We're on Pixel phones, if it matters.

Finally, I didn't manage to get a tour reservation for the Yamazaki distillery; is there another good distillery worth going to near Kyoto, Osaka, or Tokyo?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 24, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

I hosed up when we were planning and gave us an extra day in Kyoto, so some of that will probably be excised. Anything we're missing that's super worth hitting/going to that's super overrated? We're three friends with no kids/partners, and mostly into infrastructure, good food, good drink, and animals. I'm big on cultural stuff (theater, museums, history). It's 8 days in Tokyo, one in Nara, four in Kyoto, and four in Osaka.

Arashiyama? Unless I am missing it.

Castle isn't worth going to. Most in Japan aren't.

Better of going to Himeji Castle.

One of the best experiences I had was hiking to Kifune-Jinja north of the city but that is going to take a day basically.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3967.html

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Going to spend a few days in Kyoto and have a free day with a JR Pass. Any recommendations on where to go from there for a long day trip? I've been to Osaka, Hiroshima and the surrounding areas but open to any other suggestions.

Poster above mentioned Himeji Castle and it's definitely on my list since I've never been. I also have Kobe saved as well.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Himeji castle

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Definitely Himeji but if you are ambitious you could hit up Himeji in the morning then hit up the falls and botanical garden near Shin-Kobe in the afternoon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mount Shosha above Himeji is very good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

N’thing Himeji, it’s real cool up close. Have been once and would go again.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

On a whim tonight we ended up at Bible Club in Osaka and it was extremely loving good, strong recommend for any cocktail enjoyers itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Nijo castle in Kyoto is totally worth going to. It doesn't have the pretty Castle Keep that Himeji has but it does have the living quarters of the castle which are cool to walk through and the castle grounds is pretty.