Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Wait. Wait. I thought this was some kind of like, mutant thing where her power to time travel developed at that point. It's just a skill? Can anyone learn it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Can someone, say, go back in time and stop Holbrook from ever unleashing this jackassery upon us? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery
Had a page twice there!

B. Virtanen

ANSU - Look out, we're getting to the sex-related cartoons

spoiler'd for titty

Fingerpori

The joke works in English too, right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

The joke works in English too, right?

That scans.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, the joke works fine as is, imo

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/22/03

Brenda Starr 6/18/50

Smokey Stover 2/8/53

Everyday Movies 2/20/36

"Watch your car for nothin', Mister, if you'll let me sit inside and keep warm."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/5-7/40

Is it just me, or is there a certain "Scarlet gets hit in the butt with stuff" leitmotif going on here? So far Scarlet's rear end has stopped a line drive, been headbutted by a goat, and now had a crook drop on it and blocked a kick.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Was a wedding even on the cards two weeks ago? Even by Holbrook's standards this is breakneck speed

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Is it just me, or is there a certain "Scarlet gets hit in the butt with stuff" leitmotif going on here? So far Scarlet's rear end has stopped a line drive, been headbutted by a goat, and now had a crook drop on it and blocked a kick.

The papers I get my strips from have a British cheesecake comic Jane. It's amusing how that girl constantly keeps falling down, ripping her clothes etc.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Selachian posted:

It's not just you, though until this set and you recounting the butt incidents I just thought the artist has a thing for Scarlet being unconscious since she gets one per arc every time. Or they're running dry on ideas to add danger. It's definitely a strip where there's a certain type of pin up girl look shared by every attractive girl, though to the artist's credit tons of other body types are drawn with talent and without malice.

I've heard that a majority of artists are inclined to perversion at times(which is really just a confirmation that a lot of humanity is horny) and I'd say it's a matter of how blatant they are about it. Scarlet probably has quite a bit of cheek about cheek going on but it's not the first stories of Wonder Woman or freaking 9CL.

Also Scarlet's tough as hell to take a 200+ lb guy dropping on her tail bone at the force of gravity or a full force kick above dude's head.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 23, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I for one welcome or new Kevulon overlord.

As someone who never really made great grades (and whose grades often didn't reflect his intelligence/mastery of the material), I actually kind of dig this storyline. It's nice for the 'nerdy' kid to get knocked off of his perch once in a while by the 'slacker'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 23, 2023

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like the butt hits aren't any more common than the times she's taken hits to the head, or full body hits (see the 5th earlier comic where the entire football team dogpiles her into unconsciousness). And when your main shtick is being invisible but not intangible the main issue is going to be getting hit (okay well the main issue SHOULD be that being invisible shouldn't allow her to do half the poo poo she does but she's basically invincible)
The knock outs just feel like an easy way to pause Scarlet's otherwise unstoppable plans; to me it's the same level as "THING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO SCARLET!" -> "Somehow, a contrivance happened."

Like remember when that guy was about to throw a dart at where Scarlet was but then a cuckoo clock went off to bat it away or when she got knocked out as the bomb in the school house but thankfully a dog just so happened to walk by and just so happened to lap up some water that just so happened to wake Scarlet up

what an utterly insane comic, I love it. Impossible to guess anything that will happen and it would not surprise me if the guy had no plans just vibed it out every day.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

'Friends from a distance' means 'go away.'

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Not a bad trade if they included shipping.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"be polite if we happen to see each other at a party or something"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mars is always causing trouble in popular fiction, seems like a good deal.

Holy poo poo Jules, add an extra 15 minutes to every strip. These naked lazy scribbles, that dude's half arm in panel two. I've often wondered how you could start to fix this disaster of a strip and bam, right there, at least correct the embarrassing amateur art mistakes. Can consider dialogue and plot writing once that bar lying on the floor has been cleared.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 23, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay now it's dumb.

Strong disagree; the whole "Kevin made a mind helmet" angle was wearing on me, but the second that he started demonstrating telepathy it all swung back around to "This is great." Enough rakes have been stepped on for the gag to work again, and I'm eager to see where this goes now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JethroMcB posted:

Strong disagree; the whole "Kevin made a mind helmet" angle was wearing on me, but the second that he started demonstrating telepathy it all swung back around to "This is great." Enough rakes have been stepped on for the gag to work again, and I'm eager to see where this goes now.

I suspect the boys are making a comic

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

How does this, (or a restraining order) even work? Don't they live in the same apartment building?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommonShore posted:

I suspect the boys are making a comic

Ditto.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Phoebe, you've learned strategic procrastination! Do a task you're procrastining on by finding something even tougher to procrastinate about.
I'll excuse the opening text box for the pun, but how can Rivera not see what a total waste the end text box is? Or doesn't she get feedback from *somebody*?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Next strip, Mary is on the phone: "back it off Wilbur, we're coming on too strong. Don't worry, I'm working on her, we'll get you back together."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

davidspackage posted:

Next strip, Mary is on the phone: "back it off Wilbur, we're coming on too strong. Don't worry, I'm working on her, we'll get you back together."

Prediction is he was actually hanging out around the yoga studio waiting for his current lady friend to get out of class. He never got a chance to explain!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

curtadams posted:

I'll excuse the opening text box for the pun, but how can Rivera not see what a total waste the end text box is? Or doesn't she get feedback from *somebody*?
Jules Rivera doesn't strike me as a very feedback oriented sort of person

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 5, 1935)

Peanuts (February 26, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 10, 1989)

Crankshaft

So, yeah. This landed on me around the same time as the new Omnibus podcast, which (like Omnibus does) begins with a long derail from the topic, this time about a trend that John Roderick (or Beandad, if you want to be a smartass about it) becoming aware of a trend reported among fellow geezers dealing with the post-millennial generations where those kids did grow up digital-native, but a lot of them have only been digital in appspace. That means, at least on the enduser side, it's not a guarantee that they'd know from file systems anymore (or files, really) because so much of it goes to cloud storage.

As a garbage-rear end, no-kids Xer myself, I'm at a disadvantage to check this myself, but reading this immediately after hearing that kind of highlights the old-person energy of these primary school girls in the year of our Ford 2023, while still unconsciously flexing on Lillian, still talking in terms of homepages.

The moral: if you're going for "kids today" energy, do it in a way that shows you've actually talked to a kid today, or at least at some point in the past 30 years.

Mutt and Jeff was frozen in amber in the 1980s, so obviously it doesn't have this problem.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 25, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (February 24-26, 1941; spoilered over an Ick joke.)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Doomykins posted:

I've heard that a majority of artists are inclined to perversion at times(which is really just a confirmation that a lot of humanity is horny) and I'd say it's a matter of how blatant they are about it. Scarlet probably has quite a bit of cheek about cheek going on but it's not the first stories of Wonder Woman or freaking 9CL.

There's a New Yorker-style cartoon I saw online once years ago and I wish I could find it again so I could save it, but the gist of it was: four panels in a 2x2 grid, first panel is something like a small baby staring at a woman's chest; second panel is a young boy standing next to his mother looking up at a woman's chest; third panel is a teenage boy ogling a woman; and the final panel is a grown man in beret and smock standing in front of an in-progress sculpture with a female model in the background and another person is asking him something like "Whatever inspired you to become a sculptor?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jules Rivera doesn't strike me as a very feedback oriented sort of person

Is there literally anything in the newspaper comics industry for which "feedback" seems to be a thing?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm in this image and I don't like it

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

2/20

2/22

2/23

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol that's quite good

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

$5 in 1943 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $86.47 today

I really like this particular strip. That's a nice way to play the gag.

EDIT: Meanwhile, in GBS... :wtc:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, we're educating them.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Embarrassingly, the only thing that got me to notice the R’lyeh / Lulu Yeah connection was a quick vocabulary check using google translate's in-camera translation feature - unlike me, google translate is aware of the usual Japanese transliteration of R'lyeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey