Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe try them on Beau of the Fifth Column for more bite-size supplements to whichever podcast they go with, too. He's a very calm guy, so not much like Rogan, but he does have the advantage of looking and sounding like a redneck, cause he is one.
E: Cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Behind the Bastards is often fun, because the best gateway away from RWM is observing what giant pissbabs they all are.

Tyranny is when sign on hand roll now

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1628455793497350146

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

justcola posted:

My brother has asked me to recommend him some podcasts. He's coming off Joe Rogan and other more right wing leaning stuff, so I'm hoping to sort of deprogram him a bit. Are there any recommendations for some more laddy left leaning podcasts? I think WDTATW would be just a little bit too gentle for him. Someone posted a video last year of a working class economist with a shaved head, so something along those lines would be better (can anyone remember the person I'm talking about?)

The Dollop - comedy history podcast. Highly recommend the Rube, Oofty Goofty or the Willie Dee as intro episodes but honestly any of the early ones especially are absolutely hilarious and they also have some good left orientated introductions into so many topics - civil rights, Reagan, Wells Fargo, the background of the Iraq war.

The Rube is about a Baseball player - I have no affinity for baseball whatsoever but it's definately one of the funniest things I've ever listented to (honestly if you haven't listened to it - do it).

Also Behind the Bastards is another obvious one - they did a huge 6 parter on Kissinger (the Forrest Gump of war crimes) with the Dollop guys which I am yet to listen to fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zI3Ed0kTQ

I think the economist you're thinking of is Garys economics, who does a really good job of explaining economic concepts in a comprehensible way.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=garys+economics

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I haven't listened to the more recent episodes, but there is a very definite trend in The Dollop of host Dave gradually getting more and more sick of capitalism's poo poo the more he has to learn about it and barely being able to suppress himself from going off on one constantly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Even though I subscribe to the Chapo Patreon and it's still occasionally hilarious, it's become harder and harder to recommend as they quadruple down on the ironic post-Bernie doomerism . Though everything Matt Christman does is great, and I enjoyed their recent eps on Avatar2 and Demolition Man

E: still probably a good gateway to get away from RWM poo poo tho

Not sure how ironic the doomerism is (although actually they don't come off as that doomer, but then I have severe depressive disorder & all hope was sucked out of me in the 2019 election so I may not have a great concept of what is doomerism).

I still find it entertaining though obviously it's very America focused & a lot more online focused than Rogan (though it's been years since I last listened to Rogan, like probably a decade) & riffing on the Twitter main character of the day is not going to be for everyone. And I think Felix is kind of...he has an aura of being fed up with it all more than the other guys, which can be a drag. But the Hell on Earth 30 Years War series has been great so far.

I really don't know about podcasts, Radio War Nerd is pretty great but at the same time it's pretty clear that being wrong about Russia invading Ukraine all being bluff & bluster seems to have really demoralised them. TrueAnon kind of fits that bill, & if they love Rogan conspiracy poo poo then it's absolutely a podcast for them, but also it's pretty crack ping. And also their most interesting sounding episodes end up paywalled.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I haven't listened to the more recent episodes, but there is a very definite trend in The Dollop of host Dave gradually getting more and more sick of capitalism's poo poo the more he has to learn about it and barely being able to suppress himself from going off on one constantly.

Yeah it very much started out as 'we aren't going to get into politics too much' the earlier episodes are definately best to start out on as they are just so funny but some of the political ones are really interesting too. The Reagan one is great and horrifying.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

No Jordan you're supposed to dry your hands with it not stick it up your arse.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I adore the Dollop, and either The Rube episode or the Purity Balls one are amazing introductions.
I have to listen selectively these days, as there's only so many stories of labour activists getting absolutely destroyed by the state / nightmarish racism that I can hear from a media form that I'd prefer to be a source of escapism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

And I think Felix is kind of...he has an aura of being fed up with it all more than the other guys, which can be a drag. But the Hell on Earth 30 Years War series has been great so far.

Yeah tbh this is mostly what grates on me. The other guys try and Felix doesn't give a poo poo or appears to be heavily medicated or is just straight up not funny most of the time.

Anyway, sorry about the parasocial nonsense

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Raynerc113/status/1628688664636030979

:toot:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I feel like they'd have had more impact taking the hundreds of pounds it would cost to get enough paint to do that to just send to the DEC Ukraine appeal or Red Cross or whoever else.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Could you please try to curb your instinct to gripe like that just a little? If someone had spent the same amount of money painting Russian flags and Zs all over the Ukrainian embassy, you wouldn't be celebrating how they wasted all that money on paint when they could have been buying bullets for the invasion instead, would you?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shoplift the paint, simple

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

The gospels are absolutely not "first hand eye witness accounts", anymore than Boris' fake book about Shakespeare is. They're written in Greek FFS.

This is from a while back - but, err, the common language of the eastern Roman Empire was Greek, bit like everybody in say Belgium speaks English now. A first hand eye witness absolutely could be writing them in Greek and would be if they wanted a wide audience. Also, we obviously don't have any physical version of the text from quite that far back currently in existence - but we do from about 200 AD. And that doesn't prove that there weren't both older texts than that or passed down orally.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for them to be first hand accounts. Still doesn't help with Paul, with his dodgy af 'vision' that conveniently meant he was in the right in early church politics.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
About the lack of tomatoes being common in Europe and nothing to do with Brexit.

https://twitter.com/ShihabSJoi/status/1628016221177237504

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Could you please try to curb your instinct to gripe like that just a little? If someone had spent the same amount of money painting Russian flags and Zs all over the Ukrainian embassy, you wouldn't be celebrating how they wasted all that money on paint when they could have been buying bullets for the invasion instead, would you?

You're right, I should salute an empty gesture.

People complain about people who's conception of activism is posting. Rightfully so, posting will never change the world on its own. I just don't see this as much different as a post. It's Kony 2012 politics, which was rightly mocked, without the guy having a breakdown & walking down a road nude (so far)

But you're right, I wouldn't be celebrating if this was done with the Russian tricolour outside the Ukrainian Embassy. Because then it'd be an empty gesture in favour of the aggressor.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deketh posted:

I adore the Dollop, and either The Rube episode or the Purity Balls one are amazing introductions.
I have to listen selectively these days, as there's only so many stories of labour activists getting absolutely destroyed by the state / nightmarish racism that I can hear from a media form that I'd prefer to be a source of escapism.

You should check out their new podcast, The Past Times. It's literally Dave reading an old newspaper to Gareth and a guest. Old timey journalism is so loving weird it's great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forkboy84 posted:

People complain about people who's conception of activism is posting. Rightfully so, posting will never change the world on its own. I just don't see this as much different as a post. It's Kony 2012 politics, which was rightly mocked, without the guy having a breakdown & walking down a road nude (so far)

But you're right, I wouldn't be celebrating if this was done with the Russian tricolour outside the Ukrainian Embassy. Because then it'd be an empty gesture in favour of the aggressor.

actually it's good, hth

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Aphex- posted:

You should check out their new podcast, The Past Times. It's literally Dave reading an old newspaper to Gareth and a guest. Old timey journalism is so loving weird it's great.

Ohh yeah I remember hearing about that! Will give it a listen, thanks for reminding me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About the lack of tomatoes being common in Europe and nothing to do with Brexit.

https://twitter.com/ShihabSJoi/status/1628016221177237504

When I was back home around Christmas my mum asked me how badly Norway was affected by the food shortages, due to Covid, Ukraine and all that. She also assumed it was a Europe-wide thing. Flour was briefly (a week or so) in short supply around the start of the invasion I guess due to panic buying, and when lockdown was introduced a bunch of stuff was very briefly off the shelves for the same reason, but I couldn't say I'd noticed anything other than that. Food prices have for sure gone up across the board, though, and they weren't exactly low to start with.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gently caress off you uncharismatic, spineless oval office. Being offered the easiest win in centuries due to the Tories constantly discharging weapons into their own feet after you sabotaged that election for said 'worst defeat' does not suddenly make you likeable. People just have no other loving option. We can only hope something happens that leads to your replacement, in Minecraft. There are buses in Minecraft right?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Looking forward to lots of introspection on where all this unusually cold weather, flooding, and storming is coming from.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He's also going to do the whole loving Mission Accomplished Bush Jr thing isn't he?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

This is true, they've expelled and lost all the ones that cared about the manifesto commitments, the 8 remaining members are 100% backing ¡Kieth!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I dunno what to tell ya Forkboy, symbolism is good and rallies people’s spirits sometimes. It’s a show of visible support to a group of people who are largely very scared and nervous about the future at the moment. Seems good to me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Some folks just like to say "gently caress you". And that's fair. And some people enjoy it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It was more effective in Dublin last year when we threw a load of red paint at the Russian embassy and then some lad drove a lorry through the gates

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for them to be first hand accounts.
Some of them explicitly say that they're not though, like Luke starts off with

"Luke 1:1-4 (NIV) posted:

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

This doesn't prove anything either way about Luke other than that he himself is certain about what he has heard others witness, but it does prove that Tim Farron is a loving idiot who does not even skim read the things he claims to believe, which is a known fact which we have witnessed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was more effective in Dublin last year when we threw a load of red paint at the Russian embassy and then some lad drove a lorry through the gates

See, that was funny at least

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

You might argue that it's a performative gesture, but the thought of Ambassador Isukputinov seething every time he looks out a window or steps out the door is worth the cash.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bugger the tomatoes, too acidic for me to eat these days :corsair: and i've got enough cabbages to keep me in going till next shop day (homemade sauerkraut for me).

Started coppicing the trees along my back fence; only violence against plants can get my fat rear end moving at the moment. :)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1628680624188915712?s=19

Peter Mandelson must be making GBS threads himself.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The fact that its about a magic man doing miracles is the other big clue it might not be a primary source for the historical events depicted within.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/weatherbraine/status/1628759341770604544

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The rest of the country should be sitting with their fingers crossed & praying to whichever god they believe in. Good Lord do we need some good news.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jedit posted:

Ambassador Isukputinov

Don't be racist.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

can’t find the study right now but it suggested that the specific location of europe means we’re actually going to experience double the climate change and twice the pace to the rest of the world

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's something about inventing the industrial revolution and where chickens often come to roost about that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

You might argue that it's a performative gesture, but the thought of Ambassador Isukputinov seething every time he looks out a window or steps out the door is worth the cash.

I'm not sure that Andrey Vladimirovich will actually take it that personally. He's a career diplomat going back to when Brezhnev was still alive. Be cheaper & with a higher chance of being annoying to just poo poo in a paper bag, set it on fire & chuck it over the fence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A guy I know has a side gig of making cool neon signs - he's made a number of them for The World Transformed, and actually I think he was involved in making that arcade cabinet for Thatchers' Techbase from last year's event too. Anyway, he's got a new design that he can be commissioned to produce for what seems to me like a reasonable price of £200. I thought some people here might be interested in it:

If you're curious, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.