Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Good luck getting a dealer to pass that along though. They aren’t going to say poo poo about it and pocket the savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thwomp posted:

Good luck getting a dealer to pass that along though. They aren’t going to say poo poo about it and pocket the savings.

the captive finance arm owns the car so it gets passed through

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Those numbers are pretty attractive for the Ioniq 6, I like the big sedan form-factor too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Where's Kia's E-GMP performance sedan?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Forget the stinger, bring on the shocker!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
EV Kia stinger (in wagon form) with 600bhp in that shock orange please :swoon:

I would destroy a lot of tires

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Those numbers are pretty attractive for the Ioniq 6, I like the big sedan form-factor too.

What's the current markup on these though? Last I check any desirable model had something like 3-7k markup, has that gotten better?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

What's the current markup on these though? Last I check any desirable model had something like 3-7k markup, has that gotten better?

No. Hell, you still can't buy Hyundai's EVs in most states.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Probably none since they're not eligible for the tax credit on a purchase and Tesla lowered their prices so much.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i got a 2021 hyundai kona in 2021 and it was a good car and then someone ran a stop sign and i t-boned them and the car died. icbc gave me a cheque that was more than the money i paid for the car because there are EV rebates here in BC/canada and then a year later when it was available i bought a kona again because i really liked the car (and i got strung along thinking it was gonna be available sooner than it was). its a good car too and some things are nicer BUT the buttons used to navigate a playlist are backwards so now when i press down it goes forward and when i press up it goes back. so if youre in my shoes maybe consider a used kona if you can find it instead of a new one because this is wrong and unnatural. thank you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Verviticus posted:

i got a 2021 hyundai kona in 2021 and it was a good car and then someone ran a stop sign and i t-boned them and the car died. icbc gave me a cheque that was more than the money i paid for the car because there are EV rebates here in BC/canada and then a year later when it was available i bought a kona again because i really liked the car (and i got strung along thinking it was gonna be available sooner than it was). its a good car too and some things are nicer BUT the buttons used to navigate a playlist are backwards so now when i press down it goes forward and when i press up it goes back. so if youre in my shoes maybe consider a used kona if you can find it instead of a new one because this is wrong and unnatural. thank you.

We're going to require a photo now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My only real annoyance that I run into on a daily basis on my Bolt is that there are no switches on the steering wheel for volume or next/last track when playing music or podcasts.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My only real annoyance that I run into on a daily basis on my Bolt is that there are no switches on the steering wheel for volume or next/last track when playing music or podcasts.

There are on my 2019... They're on the back of the steering wheel, you pull on them with your index and/or middle fingers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Same on my 2022

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Same on my 2023. Volume right, skip left.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh for gently caress’s sake :doh:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is there anything wrong with the Cadillac CT6 plug-in-hybrid?

Apart from it being a rare GM product?

My commute is long enough that I'd be using the gas engine regularly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

One thing I find hilarious about the Bolt is the regen lever (right next to the left hand buttons) which is this massive chunk of cast aluminum, just huge and weighty and high quality as gently caress, always cool to the touch because of its material and thermal mass, with a nice heavy ca-clunk switch attached to it, surrounded by a sea of the normal cheap but functional plastic GM parts bin components.

Then you have the charging door, which is one of the flimsiest, shittiest pieces of plastic i've ever felt.

Like all the components on the Leaf may be mediocre, but at least they're consistently mediocre.

I'll add a picture of a frozen Leaf to add to my white noise posting. Range has not been good, and my commute has been very cold lately.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 24, 2023

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got to drive an electricities G80 (sedan) this week, and the charging port, in the front grill, was even cheaper and more embarrassing than you could even imagine for eighty large.

That and the gear selector was near the control knob for everything else, was the same size and shape and I tried to put the car into reverse when I meant to choose a different menu item.

I think the ORB would have been better. At least it would feel different.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kinda disappointed the electric GV70 is ORB-less

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Another AI success story!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Failson posted:

I don't think anyone here has any experience with it. You are now required to buy one and report back.

Make sure it's blue.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

I think the only thing wrong with it was the 76k MSRP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Has anybody driven one of the new revised Polestar 2s?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/the-polestar-2-gets-new-electric-motors-in-mid-life-refresh/

Seems they got new, much faster motors and the single-motor version went from FWD to RWD, with the dual-motor version going rear-bias instead of 50/50. Should be notable improvements in driving experience across the board

Also new front fascia

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Cadillac: "We keep trying to sell $70k+ PHEV sedans and no one is buying for some reason!"

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/the-polestar-2-gets-new-electric-motors-in-mid-life-refresh/

Seems they got new, much faster motors and the single-motor version went from FWD to RWD, with the dual-motor version going rear-bias instead of 50/50. Should be notable improvements in driving experience across the board

Also new front fascia

they haven't started building the new ones (FY 2024) yet. In the US, only the old version (FY23) is orderable and new builds currently are still the FY23.
A shame the US dual motor AWD doesn't get the new larger battery. I just got a Polestar 3 days ago. Range is truly the only knock on it and anything that improves the range can only be a plus.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I've talked to the dealer that I assigned with my order and learned that they have a black ID.4 Pro RWD available for MSRP. That's opposed to the blue that I ordered. I'm currently waiting to receive the final numbers but it came out to a little over $45k including the paperwork and the sales tax exemption but before $4k NJ incentive. (Ninja Edit: Just got the numbers; $42.6k with the state rebate out the door.) That just within my budget and, thanks to the extra buffer my tax return gave me, I could buy it full in cash.

I don't know if this is the right way to look at things financially but I can make back most of that money in about 20 months and rebuild my safety savings buffer in about 4 months. Presumably, that's better than financing for 36 months at a minimum since I'll outright own the car and not have to pay interest.

Also as boring as black is, should I go for it? Over the past month my reservation details has my delivery slipping from February-April to March-April to now March-May. Also, I don't know what the state of the battery sourcing requirements for the federal tax credit is right now but last I remember is that any orders before (or on?) March will not have to follow the battery requirements. So finalizing this order before the end of the month may be desirable.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 24, 2023

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yep. Once I found them I really liked them.

Had a similar moment a couple of weeks ago when my bil pointed out that the Nokian Hakkapeliita snow tires on the Bolt are directional. Of course I completely missed the directional arrow on the sidewalls and have been rotating them each fall as per the manual, meaning all four tires would be facing the right direction every 4 years. Not sure if I'll be able to leave them alone for another month or if the OCD is going to kick in before it's time for the summer tires.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also new front fascia

Unfortunate that they didn't address the weird layout of the interior. The cupholders on the Polestar 2 are just bizarre to me for a ~60k car.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Edward IV posted:

So I've talked to the dealer that I assigned with my order and learned that they have a black ID.4 Pro RWD available for MSRP. That's opposed to the blue that I ordered. I'm currently waiting to receive the final numbers but it came out to a little over $45k including the paperwork and the sales tax exemption but before $4k NJ incentive. (Ninja Edit: Just got the numbers; $42.6k with the state rebate out the door.) That just within my budget and, thanks to the extra buffer my tax return gave me, I could buy it full in cash.

I don't know if this is the right way to look at things financially but I can make back most of that money in about 20 months and rebuild my safety savings buffer in about 4 months. Presumably, that's better than financing for 36 months at a minimum since I'll outright own the car and not have to pay interest.

Also as boring as black is, should I go for it? Over the past month my reservation details has my delivery slipping from February-April to March-April to now March-May. Also, I don't know what the state of the battery sourcing requirements for the federal tax credit is right now but last I remember is that any orders before (or on?) March will not have to follow the battery requirements. So finalizing this order before the end of the month may be desirable.

We bought ours in a non-preferred color to get the full tax credit. In hindsight I'm still happy with the decision but the paint is moonstone grey which is tough from a detailing perspective, it shows scratches/swirls really easily which drives me nuts. Black will be the same, so think about how much that'll bother you.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I don't think anyone here has any experience with it. You are now required to buy one and report back.

Make sure it's blue.

darnon posted:

Cadillac: "We keep trying to sell $70k+ PHEV sedans and no one is buying for some reason!"

Jimong5 posted:

I think the only thing wrong with it was the 76k MSRP

Thanks all. They're starting to show up around 30K with fairly low miles, some cheaper than Volts, which I don't get. ELR prices are heading up too. Why am I stuck on GM, you ask? Because it would fulfill my Dad's dream of having a big huge Cadillac in the family.

priznat posted:

Kinda disappointed the electric GV70 is ORB-less

I don't know how the GV60 even happened, but I'm glad it did.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Failson posted:

I don't know how the GV60 even happened, but I'm glad it did.

I see a few around and they always make me happy. I want to see that lime green one in person though, that colour rocks.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I’ve been having a weird bug with the Mach E where using navigation via CarPlay doesn’t seem to work with any changes to the compass. I usually don’t realize it’s bugged out until I end up making a turn after which it gets stuck recalculating until I end navigation.

I thought it was something that got fixed but no luck. The cars built in navigation works fine, it just happens to use less reliable maps than Google / Apple Maps and the voice search is significantly worse.

Also had it randomly turn one-pedal drive off when I started it this morning and that threw me off. Wish there was a way to keep that setting on unless explicitly toggled off, or make it part of the mode selector.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Saw an F150 Lightning for the first time today. The dude was very happy to give me a tour. He said not many people recognize it's an EV, and I was like :hai:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

Saw an F150 Lightning for the first time today. The dude was very happy to give me a tour. He said not many people recognize it's an EV, and I was like :hai:

I’ve seen three so far, two were parked in a dealership showroom and one was on the highway

I’ve seen comparatively a lot more Rivians (probably like a dozen)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
We have one at work. Unfortunately right before we got it I transferred to a position that won’t get to use it very often, since most of my travel is too far into the boonies for the truck. I did have a chance to drive it 50 miles and I thought it was pretty great. Very fast, and very very quiet. It is a pro with the extended battery and I was pretty surprised how quiet it was for being the “base” model.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my hertz charges for the tesla rental, they managed to miss a supercharger stop but whatever. Looks like for a 325 mile trip, it cost me about $26 in supercharging, and that's returning it near empty. So would have been about $35 or more to return it as I picked it up.

Which...isn't very good, I'm actually surprised. Going long distance and using superchargers is going to be more expensive than buying gas? 325 miles should be about 10 gallons, and that runs $3.50 or so ($4 in chicagoland, but cheaper out of town). Good info for me to know

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mastershakeman posted:

Got my hertz charges for the tesla rental, they managed to miss a supercharger stop but whatever. Looks like for a 325 mile trip, it cost me about $26 in supercharging, and that's returning it near empty. So would have been about $35 or more to return it as I picked it up.

Which...isn't very good, I'm actually surprised. Going long distance and using superchargers is going to be more expensive than buying gas? 325 miles should be about 10 gallons, and that runs $3.50 or so ($4 in chicagoland, but cheaper out of town). Good info for me to know

That's a typical result: it costs more to dcfc than to buy gas, but it's so much cheaper to charge at home* the other 325 days of the year that the cost and time for long trips doesn't really matter.

*Or on a public lvl 2 charger

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The local utility has fast charge stations sprinkled around that do up to 100kW @ ~30cents per minute. That seems pretty good? I don't know how that compares to other charge options.

It's funny because we have some of the highest gas prices in NA but the lowest electricity rates (abundant hydroelectric)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Timely but EA just announced some price hikes on charging rates:

I still have most the 1000 miles that came with the EV6 (only used their faster charger once so far) so not worried about it… for now.