Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly the thinking behind this (and it has taken years for this idea to form) is that "Wolverine is this masterclass Samurai. A lone wolf, who is on the outs of society. But in the X-Men he finds a family and wants to protect them." And it then moved onto the next logical development of that character which was "For all his talk about being an outsider who doesn't play well with others, the core of Wolverine is that he is someone who has been brutalised and turned into a weapon. And he doesn't want anyone else to ever go through what he went through."

So naturally he puts his daughter on an assassination squad. (I kid, it's a good point, but that still irritates me today.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men TAS has some really great episodes. And the fact that the Saturday morning cartoon was able to bring a lot of the major themes of the X-Men like racism into a cartoon show while still keeping it entertaining for kids was great. It's not as influential as Batman TAS, but I would certainly say that it's not far behind.

Unfortunately the budget cuts hit it hard and the animation, which was never it's strong point, got worse as it went along. But it had some great episodes and I don't recall any cartoon telling a serialized story beforehand.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Spidey TAS doesn't have Jubilee which is a huge point in its favor, I'm pretty sure.

I guess what I remember liking about both shows was the high levels of continuity. Everything that happened was connected and nothing was forgotten or episodic. Like, in S:TAS, Kingpin was behind basically everything. But they also did cool poo poo like their own version of Secret Wars where David Hayter voiced Captain America.

That was neat but also, I think, worked against both shows. Because, like Lobok said, if you missed an episode, you could end up totally lost. I remember I didn't watch much X-Men as a kid, not just because I was just way more into Spider-Man, but because every time I tried I'd end up smack in the middle of some 10 part story.

They are both probably the most faithful adaptations of comic books to screen ever, for good and for ill.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dawgstar posted:

So naturally he puts his daughter on an assassination squad. (I kid, it's a good point, but that still irritates me today.)

Look she's just a teenage kid. She is going to rebel against what her dad wants.

Better to go along with it and do harm reduction than to oush them away

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The Question IRL posted:

I think people are posting at cross purposes here. I think poster Abroham Lincoln is talking about the opening to "Wolverine and the X-Men" being awful, not the 90's Fox X-Men cartoon.

Yeah. TAS and Evolution both have really good intros. Watching through all 3 series in order on D+ just made Wolverine's stand out so much more. It also made Evolution stand out more than I remember it by actually being competently made. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Men Evolution's second intro is great with the sole exception of the Howie Scream that sticks out like a sore thumb

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Always regret we didn't get the planned final season of Evolution which would have made Rogue and Scott a couple.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Always regret we didn't get the planned final season of Evolution which would have made Rogue and Scott a couple.

man we didn't even get all of the planned episodes of the last season, they had to put important story details into a "Previously On" in the last episode that showed scenes of an episode that didn't air lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Question IRL posted:

The best part about Cyclops in that show was the episode where he believes that Mr. Sinister has gotten Jean Grey and he just goes on the crazy rampage trying to track him down. And Wolverine is trying to stop him because he's worried that he'll get hurt.
And all the while Cyclops is kicking so much rear end, you realize the only danger Scott is in is that he might break his toes from all the rear end he is kicking.

Well he had to be saved once he actually took on Sinister. Cause Madrox is tough for anyone to beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFU1kQ_a0TE&t=58s

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 24, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I dunno, they kinda drop that relationship after Season 2 in my memory. I guess if the idea was for a Dark Phoenix Arc, that could have pushed them together finally, but that's kind of a scummy thing to do, unless Jean was gonna die/vanish for a while and that's when they'd get together.

Scott/Rogue was an interesting twist on things to be sure but it always felt as hopeless as Wolverine/Jean.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vandar posted:

The 90s show was iconic.

That doesn't make it *good* though.

I've come to accept that I'm a weirdo whose distaste for Evolution is probably at least partially tied into a distaste for the whole Smallville-y teen soap opera metagenre, but I'll take the 90s show's frequently terrible animation and delightfully over the top writing over that stuff that Evo was doing any day of the week

And I'd still rate Wolverine & The X-Men and the 90s cartoon (in all it's warty glory) over stuff like the endless string of generic kids TV that Man of Action pumps out or like, all those bad DC DTV animated movies

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, they kinda drop that relationship after Season 2 in my memory. I guess if the idea was for a Dark Phoenix Arc, that could have pushed them together finally, but that's kind of a scummy thing to do, unless Jean was gonna die/vanish for a while and that's when they'd get together.

Scott/Rogue was an interesting twist on things to be sure but it always felt as hopeless as Wolverine/Jean.

Scott and Rogue was their plan. In the last episode when you have all those images of the future, they intentionally place them next to each other. They confirmed it was to say they were a couple and it would have happened after Jean went Dark Phoenix and died.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
From what I recall of X-Men TAS when I did a rewatch about 6 years or so ago now, was that it was very uneven. Generally it was average for the time, or above average. Sometimes it was very good, and enjoyable even without nostalgia. And sometimes REMOVE SENATOR KELLY'S BRAIN AND REPLACE IT WITH A COMPUTER.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly the 90s x-men cartoon is nearly incomprehensible and it only really works in that kids generally will roll with anything if you at least pretend it makes sense

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly the 90s x-men cartoon is nearly incomprehensible and it only really works in that kids generally will roll with anything if you at least pretend it makes sense

So kids love my posts?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The wild man of Borneo

See you around

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There is one really good line I remember from '92 and it's Apocalypse who delivers it. Some human is all "eek, a mutant!" or whatever and En Sabuh Nur retorts:

"I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

There is one really good line I remember from '92 and it's Apocalypse who delivers it. Some human is all "eek, a mutant!" or whatever and En Sabuh Nur retorts:

Apocalypse has all the best lines, just like Kingpin had all the best lines. Both shows were fantastic at casting and writing villains,

For Evolution, they really should have kept Apocalypse with the ethereal pharaoh look who also didn't speak.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John Colicos was amazing as Apocalypse and he was probably better than the character deserved.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To some degree that's an exaggeration, but otherwise that is kinda true to the spirit of the comics at the time. Things were getting harder and harder to follow, especially in each individual X book because they all constantly crossed over and referenced what was happening in other books to convince readers to buy all of the X books to keep up to date (I'd like to say that's gotten better and more books are allowed to stand longer on their own, but Marvel still has an addiction to big disruptive crossover events that can destroy whatever narrative you're following).

There were also a lot of writers who saw the appeal and draw of long-term narratives, but didn't want to put the effort into actually planning and writing them (and to be fair, between crossovers, writer shuffles, and editorial mandates they sometimes couldn't) so they'd build up characters and things to be really important, but also really mysterious with no idea where all of it was going to go.

Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Gambit, Cable, and even Wolverine were maintained for a long times as eternal mysteries with no clear answers before later writers tried to pin them down and actually write something for them (which even after that writers will sometimes go back and re-mystery it up). Cable had his big crazy backstory reveal that he wasn't just some rando mercenary but a weird futureman while the cartoon was running, which is why there's two apparently separate Cables in the cartoon.

And then sometimes writers just don't really have a coherent idea for an issue or were trying to articulate some weird thoughts that even they didn't understand so they just slapped something weird together. I feel like Chris Claremont was in a mood like that when he did the thing with Psylocke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I still can’t believe he was John Colicos, Baltar from the original Battlestar Galactica. I always thought it was Tony Jay, which is in a way a very strong compliment to John Colicos.

“I am the rocks of the eternal shore! Crash against me and be broken!” Every line is a banger from that guy. He’s Dr Orpheus played straight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

John Colicos was amazing as Apocalypse and he was probably better than the character deserved.

To some degree that's an exaggeration, but otherwise that is kinda true to the spirit of the comics at the time. Things were getting harder and harder to follow, especially in each individual X book because they all constantly crossed over and referenced what was happening in other books to convince readers to buy all of the X books to keep up to date (I'd like to say that's gotten better and more books are allowed to stand longer on their own, but Marvel still has an addiction to big disruptive crossover events that can destroy whatever narrative you're following).

There were also a lot of writers who saw the appeal and draw of long-term narratives, but didn't want to put the effort into actually planning and writing them (and to be fair, between crossovers, writer shuffles, and editorial mandates they sometimes couldn't) so they'd build up characters and things to be really important, but also really mysterious with no idea where all of it was going to go.

Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Gambit, Cable, and even Wolverine were maintained for a long times as eternal mysteries with no clear answers before later writers tried to pin them down and actually write something for them (which even after that writers will sometimes go back and re-mystery it up). Cable had his big crazy backstory reveal that he wasn't just some rando mercenary but a weird futureman while the cartoon was running, which is why there's two apparently separate Cables in the cartoon.

And then sometimes writers just don't really have a coherent idea for an issue or were trying to articulate some weird thoughts that even they didn't understand so they just slapped something weird together. I feel like Chris Claremont was in a mood like that when he did the thing with Psylocke.

If we’re thinking of the same Psylocke thing, Claremont made Psylocke a Japanese ninja because Jim Lee demanded that he be able to draw a hot ninja lady in a bathing suit and the editors did what he wanted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

I still can’t believe he was John Colicos, Baltar from the original Battlestar Galactica. I always thought it was Tony Jay, which is in a way a very strong compliment to John Colicos.

“I am the rocks of the eternal shore! Crash against me and be broken!” Every line is a banger from that guy. He’s Dr Orpheus played straight.

Tony Jay was Galactus in the bad FF cartoon. Him and Ghost Rider are the only things anybody remembers from the cartoon and rightfully so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUJOeuxpXE

He's also a minor villain in Spidey TAS. I'm not a Dr Strange guy but I think Baron Mordo or whatever he was is a Strange villain, as is the demon he serves. I remember people being confused Jay voices the right hand guy and not the actual super powrful demon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Tony Jay was Galactus in the bad FF cartoon. Him and Ghost Rider are the only things anybody remembers from the cartoon and rightfully so.

If you're going to do that just combine the two and have Ghost Rider vs. Galactus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73P7b9k0xI

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

If we’re thinking of the same Psylocke thing, Claremont made Psylocke a Japanese ninja because Jim Lee demanded that he be able to draw a hot ninja lady in a bathing suit and the editors did what he wanted.

I had actually been looking that up recently, and a wiki linked to an interview excerpt where Chris Claremont says it was his idea, and while it was supposed to be a temporary thing, there was positive audience response so they just went with it. https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-536/

Chris Claremont posted:

I guess it's a way of examining old prejudcies from new perspectives.

In the case of Psylocke, it was something we had originally just intended for the "Acts of Vengeance" three-parter, the rationale being that the Hong Kong gangs would not accept an Anglo, a pure Caucasian, as the Mandarin's emmisary, as a Lady Mandarin; therefore, the Mandarin had to take steps to make her more physically acceptable to his people.

Then Jim did such a bang-up job. It was such an effective presentation of her and it seemed to strike such a powerful chord in the audience. We figured, "Let's go with it and see what happens." And from the reader response, it seems to be an extremely positive move.

And it fits, not just because as the article mentions Chris Claremont doing other race-switching or transformations of characters from time to time, but because the reason I was looking it up was because of the other thing that was happening in that story arc. Jubilee, in her first adventure after meeting Wolverine, went with him to Hong Kong, where she made a big point that despite her race she was an American, and when the Mandarin found her, he got mad at that and tried to make her into a proper chinese young lady.

Claremont had some ideas about race that he was poking around with, and it was all weird and problematic. But it's hard to follow because there's four other groups scattered around the world that the title was jumping between, and also Psylocke and Wolverine were pretty heavily hallucinating.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wow, that’s very different from what I had thought. I guess body transformation and forced asian-ification are in Claremont’s fetish wheelhouse, although as always it’s hosed-up to see a young character like Jubilee mixed up in that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

With Psylocke specifically she was supposed to get her original body back after the arc with The Mandarin, but Jim Lee liked drawing her so much she kinda got stuck.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those green gloves and boots make it hard to hide the DKR Robin inspiration.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cable had his big crazy backstory reveal that he wasn't just some rando mercenary but a weird futureman while the cartoon was running, which is why there's two apparently separate Cables in the cartoon.

Two Cables in X-Men TAS? I don't remember this...so one of them is the comic book Cable and the other is from the show?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Two Cables in X-Men TAS? I don't remember this...so one of them is the comic book Cable and the other is from the show?

Cable showed up briefly when they went to Genosha (wild man of Borneo) where he's just a dude with a ridiculous gun doesn't show up at all for a while, then is heavily involved in a time travel story where he's explicitly from the future and deeply interested in the X-Men, when his previous appearance he wasn't especially interested him that at all.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Didn't Cable, like Wolverine, have lots of big reveals and retcons over the decades since, unlike Wolverine, they rather early on realized his main appeal was as a mysterybox and that once they revealed his backstory he lost most of his appeal?

While Wolverine was more just a case of wanting to milk the character for decades.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Not the ONLY things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VBv0ZenZU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wait I always thought that was an edit. And I'm just now learning this is the actual real clip?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those green gloves and boots make it hard to hide the DKR Robin inspiration.

They actually met!

"CBR.com posted:

one unlikely pair found a semblance of happiness with each other in Ron Marz, Peter David, Dan Jurgens and Claudio Castellini's Marvel vs. DC.

In that '90s crossover, the X-Men's Jubilee started a brief, doomed relationship ship with Tim Drake, the third Robin. But due to the circumstances of their different realities, the two didn't get the chance to continue their relationship - no matter how happy they made one another.
It was brief but cute.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Wait I always thought that was an edit. And I'm just now learning this is the actual real clip?

yeah for real lmao i always thought it was a joke

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Even though I read all, or I guess most of, the Marvel v DC stuff back in the day, I don't remember Tim and Jubes hooking up at all, that's adorable. It was so long now that I just remember Bats v Cap, Logan v Lobo, and Storm being her usual awesome self.

I AM GRANDO posted:

He was great in DS9 as an old Kilngon looking for a few final glory days. Dude could chew scenery and deliver a line like no one's business.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Even though I read all, or I guess most of, the Marvel v DC stuff back in the day, I don't remember Tim and Jubes hooking up at all, that's adorable. It was so long now that I just remember Bats v Cap, Logan v Lobo, and Storm being her usual awesome self.

There were a lot of little things that happened in the background like that. I also remember Thanos/Darkseid which really should have been its own thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I had a thought this week.

DC's direct to video animated wing has been going for over 25 years at this point. Over that time they have adapted a range of DC story lines from The New Frontier, Hush, the Dark Knight Returns to the Death of Superman (Twice.)

But in all that time, they never adapted Kingdom Come. Honestly I'm shocked that they still haven't tried an adaption since it seems like it would work perfectly.

What sparked this was I wanted to go onto YouTube and see an animated version of the ending where Superman is in the UN and has to be talked down by Norman McCay, only to remember that no such thing actually exists.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 3, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They would gently caress up Kingdom Come so bad. I’m glad they’ve never touched it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Most of the DTV-poo poo is either nu52 nonsense, bad adaptations of classics, or bad adaptations of Batman stories that could charitably be described as classics with quotation marks

Also, there was a shortage of Barry and Hal in Kingdom Come, and you-know-who probably don't like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If they'd done it in the Year One/Dark Knight Returns adaptation era that would have been just great, Dark Knight Returns getting two full length releases feels like it was an absolutely masterstroke of luck frankly. Really let it breathe.

I would not want to see it under the current system though.