Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd assume they are getting advertisement & carrier revenue coming in still for those channels, during bankruptcy those kinds of things keep running, or else it just makes things worse. If Bally's is unwilling to keep it going the court will appoint someone/some group to keep it going so Bally's hole doesn't get worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if the debt they took on for the RSNs is pulling them under, but I'd be shocked if they aren't even making back enough to cover operating costs. They have to be doing at least that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1628150131869589506

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pac-12 on Apple+?

Big loving why?

Waste of money even if it costs a nickle.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:10bux: is all that matters in college football.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

soggybagel posted:

So whats the worst case scenario if Ballys dies abruptly here? Obviously any team on the RSN will lose money. But then presumably they will cease broadcasting as well? Would the given league have to immediately step in? They already skipped a payment right?

Fangraphs has the best piece on this Spoiler alert... Lockback's right:

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the debt they took on for the RSNs is pulling them under, but I'd be shocked if they aren't even making back enough to cover operating costs. They have to be doing at least that.

quote:

One thing that should give teams at least a small sliver of confidence: this bankruptcy has to do with debt service, not a catastrophic business failure. In 2021, DSG was profitable before interest payments, taxes, depreciation, and amortization – they recorded a positive EBITDA, as they say in finance. The same was true in 2020, and while we don’t yet have financial statements for full-year 2022, the group was profitable on an EBITDA basis for the first nine months of 2022. Sure, cord cutting and economic turbulence might have put a crimp in expected profits, but the books still balance – at least, if not for those pesky debt payments, which totaled $436 million in 2021 and $415 million in the first nine months of 2022.

As to the mechanics of what happens next:

quote:

That doesn’t mean that the regional sports networks underpinning DSG are worthless. In fact, we’re likely to see how much they’re worth later this year. The bondholders who will own the company are high-yield/distressed debt experts, but they aren’t media companies. Prudential Financial (side note: “It was an insurance run, so I hit it to the Prudential Building” is one of my favorite baseball quotes of all time), Fidelity, and Mudrick Capital are among the chief bond holders. They’ll likely sell off the company after it emerges from bankruptcy and restructuring.

The details of that restructuring are important, and have broad implications for the baseball teams whose rights DSG currently holds. Bankruptcy will give them the option to end or renegotiate rights contracts, which could result in major league teams not getting broadcast money this year. I find that to be unlikely, given that the creditors want to sell the network after it emerges from this restructuring. Who would buy a regional sports network with no sports to show? But there’s certainly an increased risk of missed payments or renegotiated contracts here
There's a few options here that track as most likely to me for MLB (and the other sports)

Best answer is likely MLB taking its rights back, making MLB.TV+, going mostly over-the-air for the remainder of the season, and then selling rights at a discount (because of a carveout for streaming) next season.

Most likely, IMO. is the restructured Diamond maintaining the rights and keeping status quo. Prudential, Fidelity, etc have far more than enough to keep the lights on and making them whole will be a part of whatever eventual sale happens.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Pac-12 on Apple+?

Big loving why?

Waste of money even if it costs a nickle.

A whole series of reasons that basically boil down to “nobody else wants them” and apple needs more live programming and will take what it can get for now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paracaidas posted:

Best answer is likely MLB taking its rights back, making MLB.TV+, going mostly over-the-air for the remainder of the season, and then selling rights at a discount (because of a carveout for streaming) next season.

Most likely, IMO. is the restructured Diamond maintaining the rights and keeping status quo. Prudential, Fidelity, etc have far more than enough to keep the lights on and making them whole will be a part of whatever eventual sale happens.

For baseball they'd need to move fast if they wanted a change, I think more likely they'd just keep things running as is for 2023, probably at a generally reduced operating cost but essentially the same. I don't see anyone wanting to dump the asset that quickly right now, you'd get pennies on the dollar even giving it back to the MLB. They'd be working out a deal (either in house with MLB or another buyer) with probably more likely a 2024 target.

Basketball's timing is a little more interesting. That might see a change for next season, and I'd bet on the NBA owners being more aggressive, but it all depends.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

A whole series of reasons that basically boil down to “nobody else wants them” and apple needs more live programming and will take what it can get for now
I suppose the deal will really lighten the load of the LA Bally's RSN properties, all that is left is :lol: Angels of Anaheim by way of Los Angeles, the Anaheim Ducks and the LA Kings.

I guess the Big West and Mountain West on college side.

But once USC and UCLA jump conferences, SoCal eyeballs will give zero fucks about the Pac-12.

It's a bad deal on Apple's part from where I sit, but it ain't my money so :shrug:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

lmao regular cable broadcasts division 3 football. Someone probably wants the rights to what is still a power five conference containing schools with giant alumni bases. Apple is a way to get a better TV money than they're going to get just on regular cable.

Lockback posted:

For baseball they'd need to move fast if they wanted a change, I think more likely they'd just keep things running as is for 2023, probably at a generally reduced operating cost but essentially the same. I don't see anyone wanting to dump the asset that quickly right now, you'd get pennies on the dollar even giving it back to the MLB. They'd be working out a deal (either in house with MLB or another buyer) with probably more likely a 2024 target.

Basketball's timing is a little more interesting. That might see a change for next season, and I'd bet on the NBA owners being more aggressive, but it all depends.

The NBA apparently just renewed their streaming agreement with them four days ago: https://www.nexttv.com/news/bankruptcy-be-damned-nba-renews-bally-sports-plus-digital-deal Although yeah of course them going out of business would obviously change that.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 22, 2023

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I wonder if apple thinks they’ll get all the graduates of pac 12 schools to sign up?

Like $7 a month or maybe an extra $20-$50 a year for pac 12 sports is pretty minuscule for the entertainment budget. Especially if your team and it’s rivals are the only thing you care about.

Also, could apple buy the rights to individual teams if ballys dies? Could they buy the rights to the Miami heat, LA kings and St. Louis cardinals if they wanted? Or would it be pointless since they could only show them in their markets?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I wonder if apple thinks they’ll get all the graduates of pac 12 schools to sign up?

Like $7 a month or maybe an extra $20-$50 a year for pac 12 sports is pretty minuscule for the entertainment budget. Especially if your team and it’s rivals are the only thing you care about.

the new MLS package is $80/season if you already subscribe to Apple+, and (because Apple+ is a global-enough platform) it allows anyone outside of existing MLS markets internationally to also pay and get the deal.

I would pay as much for Pac-12 football alone, as I currently have zero legal way to do so and it's better than sailing the seas every week from an ease-of-use standpoint for my viewing habits.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Vannini of the Athletic on the Apple TV deal for the pac 12, some excerpts:

Streaming won’t save college football as we know it because it’s not saving TV posted:

It doesn’t mean the league is about to fall apart or that it can’t still secure a good enough TV deal for the short-term future. It will probably be OK. But the Pac-12 may be the canary in the coal mine for college conferences outside what is becoming the Power 2 of the Big Ten and SEC.

Streaming won’t be the answer to saving college football as we know it. We know this because streaming isn’t saving TV.

The Pac-12 needs leverage, but Amazon and Apple aren’t that. A move to heavy streaming would dramatically decrease game viewership and threaten to speed the conference into irrelevancy. In a sport based around recruiting and donors, people need to find your games easily. ESPN knows this. It’s why Conference USA rushed back to ESPN as part of its new TV deal and away from streaming places like Stadium. Even if Amazon and Apple, which have been more prudent with streaming spending than other places, overpay for the sake of content on a potential sports-only app, it’s an incredible risk for a conference. This isn’t Major League Soccer.

ESPN used to own college football. Now it lost the Big Ten and does not see the Pac-12 as such a priority as to overpay. Iger also said that while ESPN+ has grown nicely, he does not want to commit to an all-streaming ESPN or spin the company off unless it makes financial sense.

And that’s the dirty not-so-secret about streaming: It’s not actually working. The boom is over.

Disney’s direct-to-consumer business — which includes Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu — lost more than $4 billion in 2022. The financial losses continue to climb even as subscribers grow. It’s a big reason Disney stock is down 31 percent over the past year. NBCUniversal’s Peacock lost around $2.5 billion for the year, and CBS’ Paramount Plus also lost around $1.8 billion. These companies planned to lose lots of money aimed for profitability by 2024 or 2025, but there is little sign of that yet. Dramatic cuts have come across the board.

Fox’s decision not to jump into the standalone streaming game and instead focus on the biggest live sports like the NFL, college football and the World Cup, has proven to be a more successful strategy thus far. It has increased its market share in college football, and despite the loss of cable subscribers, this year’s Super Bowl on Fox was the third-most-watched game ever and the highest in six years. As Fox Sports CEO Eric Shanks put it on a Sports Business Journal podcast, speeding up into streaming also speeds up the decline of linear TV, your actual money-maker.

While more games than ever are available to watch — a certain positive for fans — all of this doesn’t even touch on how cumbersome it is to watch live sports on streaming. Broadcast delays lag behind social media and betting sites. Some can’t pause or rewind. Switching between games can be a hassle and an even more frustrating process if you have to switch to another app.

On a busy college football Saturday, will casual fans who use one screen flip back and forth to Prime Video or Apple TV+ for one Pac-12 game if their favorite team isn’t involved? If conferences move into different streaming apps, the sport will be even more fractured.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
All of that is generally right but lol at the old man "its so hard to swap browser tabs/apps compared to switching a channel"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
There's a clear tier of streaming where my parents get it and will happily watch WVU sports on it (Youtube TV, Amazon Prime, Apple) and then there's everyone else. As long as you're in those top 3 I think you're fine from a relevancy/awareness level?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frankly their biggest problem is that the conference spent over a decade torpedoing itself as a product and just hemorrhaging money while Larry Scott was commissioner. USC crashing from dynasty to also-ran definitely didn't help matters either. There's good programs left but by and large people are just going to watch them when they're playing an out-of-conference game on an actual TV network that a massive majority of people either still get or have easy access to at bars and restaurants and such.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

in other news, whooboy

Sports Media Watch posted:

The NBA All-Star Game was an airball in the ratings, falling to easily its smallest audience on record.

Sunday’s NBA All-Star Game averaged a combined 2.2 rating and 4.59 million viewers across TNT and TBS, making it easily the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the game. The previous lows were a 3.1 (2021 and 2022) and around six million viewers (2021).

Ratings declined 29% and viewership 27% from last year’s All-Star Game (3.1, 6.28M). While All-Star Game viewership has been trending down, this year’s declines are the steepest for the game since 2000 — the first All-Star Game after a one-year hiatus due to the 1998-99 NBA lockout.

It should be noted that this year’s All-Star Game lacked some of the usual stars. Warriors G Stephen Curry missed the game entirely and the leading votegetters in each conference — Lakers F LeBron James and Bucks F Giannis Antetokounmpo — exited early.

The record-low audience places the NBA All-Star Game well behind this year’s “reimagined” Pro Bowl, which drew 6.28 million across ESPN, ABC and DisneyXD. It also ranks further behind the leader in All-Star viewership, the MLB All-Star Game — which last season averaged 7.51 million. Even at a record-low, the NBA All-Star Game still ranks as the highest rated in adults 18-49 (1.8) and 18-34 (1.5).

In other All-Star weekend action, NBA All-Star Saturday Night averaged a 1.6 and 3.42 million on TNT — the lowest rating and viewership for the Saturday night festivities in at least two decades. Ratings and viewership fell 19% from last year (2.0, 4.24M). Friday’s Rising Stars Challenge also fell to a historic low with a 0.49 and 888,000, down 31% and 28% respectively from last year (0.7, 1.23M).

The only event that did not sink double-digits to a historic low was the Celebrity Game on ESPN, which actually increased 6% in ratings and 8%in viewership to a 0.75 and 1.40 million.

While All-Star weekend was a relative bust for TNT, the network is currently pacing at its highest regular season average in four years with 1.4 million viewers. NBA games overall were averaging a 0.9 and 1.6 million viewers entering the All-Star break, even with last year.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

Chris Vannini of the Athletic on the Apple TV deal for the pac 12, some excerpts:

ESPN lost the Big Ten but gained the SEC so I'm not sure what his point is in that regard?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ace Jameson posted:

ESPN lost the Big Ten but gained the SEC so I'm not sure what his point is in that regard?

He's basically saying that just because ESPN lost the Big Ten that doesn't meant they're rushing to grab Pac-12 rights to replace them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

fast cars loose anus posted:

All of that is generally right but lol at the old man "its so hard to swap browser tabs/apps compared to switching a channel"

You laugh but that is a significant part of the battle for any streaming service (regardless of age of viewer): getting people to open the app.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DJExile posted:

in other news, whooboy

lol, I mean, the marketing was, "Hi, I'm Post Malone, and I'm here on behalf of the Utah tourism department!" Yeah, Utah has some mountains and poo poo, that's cool. So, basketball? No, let's talk about skiing with a guy who likes Pokemon instead.

I like the NBA, I like seeing NBA players do stupid poo poo, and all star games are a guilty pleasure of mine, and I still skipped it. I guess Dame did a thing that was neat?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The American Dream posted:

Also, could apple buy the rights to individual teams if ballys dies? Could they buy the rights to the Miami heat, LA kings and St. Louis cardinals if they wanted? Or would it be pointless since they could only show them in their markets?

it's the latter, plus sports leagues are loathe to parcel out individual team rights as it impacts their valuation (and thus the league's valuation) if they don't fetch a decent return

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How is MLB the top-rated all-star game with its lack of star power and fading mainstream interest, was there an Ohtani bump?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

You laugh but that is a significant part of the battle for any streaming service (regardless of age of viewer): getting people to open the app.

yeah this is why Netflix sends you both emails and app notifications about upcoming shows that you have to go into the app to clear.

reminds me I need to turn that permission off, fucksake I'm lazy

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Declan MacManus posted:

it's the latter, plus sports leagues are loathe to parcel out individual team rights as it impacts their valuation (and thus the league's valuation) if they don't fetch a decent return
:confused:

The NFL is the only American league that doesn't rely on individual teams to sell their local rights (and even the NFL does for preseason and nongame content). MLS was the next most restrictive, barring teams from deals that impeded blackout-free streaming (in service of their eventual Apple deal)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How is MLB the top-rated all-star game with its lack of star power and fading mainstream interest, was there an Ohtani bump?

I'd imagine a big part is that there's literally no competition to it as sporting events go. It's in the dead of summer with absolutely nothing else going on.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Paracaidas posted:

:confused:

The NFL is the only American league that doesn't rely on individual teams to sell their local rights (and even the NFL does for preseason and nongame content). MLS was the next most restrictive, barring teams from deals that impeded blackout-free streaming (in service of their eventual Apple deal)

sports leagues don't parcel out individual teams to national services is what i meant

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Baseball as a semi individual sport means there isn't the mechanism to fully sandbag your effort in an all star game. The pitchers pitch hard, the batter's actually want to hit the ball and the fielders try to make a play. It's basically a real baseball game with very funny management. I haven't watched an NHL all star game but the nba and nfl games are a farce of a real sporting event.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It helps that it kinda resembles an actual game. The NBA All-Star game (which was actually getting better recently) was basically just warm-up lines and shots.

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine a big part is that there's literally no competition to it as sporting events go. It's in the dead of summer with absolutely nothing else going on.

That also really helps.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Indeed. The days before and after the MLB ASG are notoriously the only days on the calendar without one of the big 4 sports playing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DJExile posted:

in other news, whooboy

It's pretty trivial to just watch the best players do their thing these days, which just kinda kills the magic of all star games. Add in that the players are visibly not giving a poo poo and welp.

My best idea is, thinking about this from the NFL's perspective, to just get more kids involved. Throw Nickelodeon at it, turn it into a family event so older players will bring their kids, and build a bunch of events off of that. Shlock works a lot better with kids.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Indeed. The days before and after the MLB ASG are notoriously the only days on the calendar without one of the big 4 sports playing.

and unlike the nba, it was on broadcast

now i remember how much of a shock to the system it was 20 years ago when the nba put a lot more important stuff on cable

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kalli posted:

It's pretty trivial to just watch the best players do their thing these days, which just kinda kills the magic of all star games. Add in that the players are visibly not giving a poo poo and welp.

My best idea is, thinking about this from the NFL's perspective, to just get more kids involved. Throw Nickelodeon at it, turn it into a family event so older players will bring their kids, and build a bunch of events off of that. Shlock works a lot better with kids.

The other upside is not playing a full-fat NFL game (with players unfamiliar with each other) means less risk of injuries. Ideally, that'd make for more participation?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

Frankly their biggest problem is that the conference spent over a decade torpedoing itself as a product and just hemorrhaging money while Larry Scott was commissioner. USC crashing from dynasty to also-ran definitely didn't help matters either. There's good programs left but by and large people are just going to watch them when they're playing an out-of-conference game on an actual TV network that a massive majority of people either still get or have easy access to at bars and restaurants and such.

I mean if you actually look at the ratings, Pac-12 conference games do what they're supposed to do, which is beat most non-football (and nearly all G5 football) and do well in their markets in the ratings and generally own their late night slots.

You're conflating the Pac 12 network doing poorly in the ratings with the conference doing poorly in the ratings. But at least part of why the Pac 12 Network does poorly is because the only time the popular teams are on the network is when they are playing Oregon State, Cal, Colorado and down year Arizona and the rest of the games go to Fox or ESPN (or sometimes CBS) where they do well.

My guess is the ideal TV contract for the Pac 12--barring someone paying giant money for conference exclusivity (which we can both agree is not likely)--is they continue their arrangement of being able to sell their marketable games to the networks and get someone to give them money for the Pac-12 Network.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I haven't watched an NHL all star game but the nba and nfl games are a farce of a real sporting event.

The NHL did something actually smart for their all-star game and realized that since no one's going to play a real game with contact and defence anyways, they play a 3-on-3 ruleset that encourages all rushes and scoring with minimal defence. Like if the NFL went 7-on-7 flag and was just QBs throwing bombs and dudes doing cool jukes all day.

It's not the same game like baseball's but it's at least a fun facsimile that emphasizes the cool bits people want to watch and for the most part, the bits that players have fun with and can do without much risk. It's not perfect and people still half rear end it, but at least they are trying something different than pretending it's a real game obviously doesn't work.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Most people aren’t watching games on their laptop, they’re using Roku, or appletv.

Swapping apps is kind of a pain in the rear end compared to switching channels on your TV. Close the app, flip over to the other app, wait for it to load, find the game you want, then wait for that to load. Plus finding which app each game is on, and do you even have a subscription to that?

You’re definitely not flipping back and forth between apps during commercial breaks or anything. So I think there is some real worry that fans of certain conferences won’t watch other conference’s games if they’re on separate apps.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Now I'm picturing a dark future where I have one game streaming on apple TV and one game streaming on like a fire stick, another game streaming on a PS5, another one on a PS4, and something OTA.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

The NHL did something actually smart for their all-star game and realized that since no one's going to play a real game with contact and defence anyways, they play a 3-on-3 ruleset that encourages all rushes and scoring with minimal defence. Like if the NFL went 7-on-7 flag and was just QBs throwing bombs and dudes doing cool jukes all day.

It's not the same game like baseball's but it's at least a fun facsimile that emphasizes the cool bits people want to watch and for the most part, the bits that players have fun with and can do without much risk. It's not perfect and people still half rear end it, but at least they are trying something different than pretending it's a real game obviously doesn't work.

Yeah I think there should be a 3 on 3 tournament but with NBA Scoring rules. Give the top team 500k and 500k to charity or someshit.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Most people aren’t watching games on their laptop, they’re using Roku, or appletv.

Swapping apps is kind of a pain in the rear end compared to switching channels on your TV. Close the app, flip over to the other app, wait for it to load, find the game you want, then wait for that to load. Plus finding which app each game is on, and do you even have a subscription to that?

You’re definitely not flipping back and forth between apps during commercial breaks or anything. So I think there is some real worry that fans of certain conferences won’t watch other conference’s games if they’re on separate apps.

And on smart tv's with their built in apps on incredibly underpowered systems so you have glacial speed switching between the built in Peacock app and some other app on the tv...the user experience does suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

It ultimately doesn't matter, but I think they lost more content on the Big 10 side than they gained on the SEC side. They already had almost all of the SEC.