Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Fair representation of (any) minorities and caring about other people's feelings is the definition of "woke" according to these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dogen posted:

having a missing limb is or anxiety is woke now? ok

100%, even the dogs are woke in Lego now

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

"Physically and emotionally disabled people don't deserve full participation in society."

:fuckoff:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rad Valtar posted:

I don't know what they are talking about my figures were missing all kinds of limbs when I was a kid.

yeah i was laughing when i saw that and thinking about the millionth 'dad can put put this hand back on my guy i pulled it off'

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Literally A Person posted:

Woke rear end disabled veterans. GET CANCELLED BITCHES

I'm sittin right here man :smith:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm sittin right here man :smith:

Go back to California, hippie.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Waltzing Along posted:

I build LEGO to deal with anxiety. So I'm kinda confused by all this. It's the only thing I've found that puts me in that mental state other than surfing. Surfing is clearly better but LEGO is a bit easier to do when you live far from the ocean.

E: and I deal with the anxiety of spending too much $ on LEGO by telling myself that I can always resell the stuff later to get my $$ back. Or most of it. Or even more in some cases.

I use it for something similar because it helps me to focus on the present. It was something my therapist recommended and I was like oh I'm already into them. Now I have an excuse to buy more and not feel guilty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you imagine these guys hopping into time machines and trying to explain to their former selves from even 5 years ago why they are mad?

Tucker 2018: Hillary emails blugghhh..
Tucker 2023: Stop! They have LEGO people in wheelchairs in 2023!
Tucker 2018: That's...good? Wait. Is that bad? What's going on?
Tucker 2023: It's Woke! It's bad!
Tucker 2018: What's woke?
Tucker 2023: I DON'T KNOW!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Rad Valtar posted:

I use it for something similar because it helps me to focus on the present. It was something my therapist recommended and I was like oh I'm already into them. Now I have an excuse to buy more and not feel guilty.

Ditto. Lego helps me deal with anxiety and is also a key part of my alcoholic recovery program.

Even with the price increases they are still cheaper than my habit lol.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've said this before, but I also find building to be therapeutic. My mind is occupied by the task at hand, so none of life's bullshit is bothering me. However, building isn't so mentally taxing that it causes any new stress. My brain lands in a sweet spot that is occupied, having fun, and not stressed.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Building Lego (and reaching a flow state while doing it) is the closest most people will ever come to meditation, and that's awesome.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lego is very chill for me except when using Studio and arranging 1x1 pieces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Can you imagine these guys hopping into time machines and trying to explain to their former selves from even 5 years ago why they are mad?

Tucker 2018: Hillary emails blugghhh..
Tucker 2023: Stop! They have LEGO people in wheelchairs in 2023!
Tucker 2018: That's...good? Wait. Is that bad? What's going on?
Tucker 2023: It's Woke! It's bad!
Tucker 2018: What's woke?
Tucker 2023: I DON'T KNOW!

Awaiting to hear about the Tucker segment where he complains about the minifigs not being sexy enough anymore.

I wish I could live in a world where no-one lets that guy have a peaceful moment in public. Just like every store clerk and server asking him about why he wants to gently caress the M&Ms.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The most zen rock garden aspect of all is orienting each piece so the injection moulding marks are hidden wherever possible

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

The most zen rock garden aspect of all is orienting each piece so the injection moulding marks are hidden wherever possible

It's a cold comfort to know I am not alone in this, no visible markings if I can help it. And bricks with required visible mold marks (i.e. the ingot) all have to be oriented the same direction.

Obsessive compulsive behavior in the genes, baby!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

Lego is very chill for me except when using Studio

Yes.

Also it's great to hear that other people are finding relief from anxiety with this hobby. I'm sure it is also helping me in my recovery because it is giving me something to do :-) Glad I'm not the only one there.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
There's credible rumors a ton of the Batman sets are gonna be 1989 tie ins because of the Flash movie so expect the Batcave to be empty and you can stuff the hopefully Speed Champions sized 1989 Batmobile and Batwing in there a la the Hulkbuster set which I'm fine with because this means a bigger bat cave.

https://www.stonewars.de/geruechte/lego-dc-batman-neuheiten-sommer-2023/

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I build LEGO to deal with anxiety. So I'm kinda confused by all this. It's the only thing I've found that puts me in that mental state other than surfing. Surfing is clearly better but LEGO is a bit easier to do when you live far from the ocean.

E: and I deal with the anxiety of spending too much $ on LEGO by telling myself that I can always resell the stuff later to get my $$ back. Or most of it. Or even more in some cases.

Same except instead of surfing I ski and snowboard, but I live in the Netherlands and with the pandemic it's been a few years.

The summer is always rough for me with 6+ weeks of basically working 24/7 so afterwards I treat myself to a big set so I can unwind for a couple of days.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Update on my search for a Lego Voltron. Was able to get a set missing 2 pieces for $180. Considering most people are selling used sets for $300 I was pretty happy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

There's credible rumors a ton of the Batman sets are gonna be 1989 tie ins because of the Flash movie so expect the Batcave to be empty and you can stuff the hopefully Speed Champions sized 1989 Batmobile and Batwing in there a la the Hulkbuster set which I'm fine with because this means a bigger bat cave.

First good thing I see about the Flash movie.

The German dubbing of the trailer was absolute garbage. The trailer itself was meh. Not sure what they are going for with it. English version wasn't much better.

But if it gets me an old school batmobile, I am not complaining.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rad Valtar posted:

Update on my search for a Lego Voltron. Was able to get a set missing 2 pieces for $180. Considering most people are selling used sets for $300 I was pretty happy.

Those two pieces: the keys

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

HootTheOwl posted:

Those two pieces: the keys

From the pictures they sent showing where pieces were missing it was just one foot of a cat. Please don't tell me what the keys are so I don't panic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What are the things they use to summon their lions? It's that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's two pieces, Michael. What could it cost, $10?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

How far in advance are double VIP points events announced?

I know there's just been one, and they seem to be fairly irregular - I'm hoping the next one happens before the middle of May.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hopper posted:

First good thing I see about the Flash movie.

The German dubbing of the trailer was absolute garbage. The trailer itself was meh. Not sure what they are going for with it. English version wasn't much better.

But if it gets me an old school batmobile, I am not complaining.

Same, don’t care much for the film but am always down for more Keaton Batman in whatever form.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is this, uh, normal?

I put together the Mandalorian's ship, and the tail piece is.. floppy? The lighter grey half feels like rubber. I've never had a LEGO piece look or act like this before.

I was in the process of requesting a replacement but I thought I would ask you guys first.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah that’s the kind of material that piece is

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Lego now has a number of pieces that are made out of a more rubbery material - often when they’d otherwise be especially stabby or brittle.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah it’s the same for me, I guess it’s because it’s marketed as a kids toy too, as indicated by the stud shooters :v:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I don't know about anyone else, but those rubbery fin/blade pieces are for some reason especially attractive for my cats to nibble on.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ah, ok. Thanks! That's good to know, it just seemed odd when I hadn't encountered it before. Probably good! The ship would be a weapon if it was hard plastic.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but those rubbery fin/blade pieces are for some reason especially attractive for my cats to nibble on.

Better watch out, Lego doesn’t show up on x-rays :shobon:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zwille posted:

Has LEGO ever re-released a retired set? Would be neat if they brought the 1989 UCS Batmobile back because of the tie-ins. That set eclipsed the Saturn V for me as having the most "holy poo poo" level building techniques.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Habibi posted:

Has LEGO ever re-released a retired set? Would be neat if they brought the 1989 UCS Batmobile back because of the tie-ins. That set eclipsed the Saturn V for me as having the most "holy poo poo" level building techniques.

The Saturn V was one, I'm pretty sure. Ship in a bottle too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

The taj mahal came back for a little while. I don't think anyone knows why, maybe they had a surplus of white pieces in a warehouse somewhere.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Saturn V was weird because they did new a ID and everything.

I think Lego brought out more BTTF ideas sets and the ideas mech too but they kept the same id and weren't officially retired.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
A little late for anxiety chat, but yeah building legos is about the closest I get to mediation. The best part of a lovely work week for me is driving over to the Lego store and finding something that tickles my fancy and building it over the weekend. It's like a craft hobby but there's no rear end in a top hat in the back of my mind commenting on how I'm not very good at what I'm trying to learn how to do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Black Seas Barracuda in the early 00s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

w00tazn posted:

Saturn V was weird because they did new a ID and everything.

IIRC there were one or two minor part differences between the original and the re-release. Like a 2x4 plate was replaced by a modified 2x4 plate with three holes in the center, or something like that.

I think the Taj Mahal was kind of the same way? Same part count, but a few minor changes. And of course eventually a downscaled Taj Mahal was released for the Architecture line. I think in both cases the set number was increased by 1 to distinguish them from the original releases.