Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Imagine if Saward had had to do Christmas episodes.

E: this is adding more horror to my Pip and Jane Baker: Showrunners alternate timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Coward posted:

Imagine if Saward had had to do Christmas episodes.

E: this is adding more horror to my Pip and Jane Baker: Showrunners alternate timeline.

Now I'm picturing the alternate universe where Pip and Jane were the script editors under JNT, and Saward had to fill in for them after they quit during Trial of a Time Lord.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Had a listen to a companion chronicle just, The Scorchies. This is a range that can be really experimental, but The Scorchies is really, really out there. Jo Grant gets abducted by a race of aliens who travel the galaxy through television signals, wiping out planets, appearing as puppets putting on a light entertainment show.

Obviously, it's a riff on The Muppets, but they don't go too on the nose with the parallels, instead going for the general feel of 70s Saturday variety shows. And it's a musical! It's so utterly strange that it demands your attention. It doesn't feel that much like 70s Who, but I don't think this could be done back then. And Katy Manning throws herself into it wonderfully.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Had a listen to a companion chronicle just, The Scorchies. This is a range that can be really experimental, but The Scorchies is really, really out there. Jo Grant gets abducted by a race of aliens who travel the galaxy through television signals, wiping out planets, appearing as puppets putting on a light entertainment show.

Obviously, it's a riff on The Muppets, but they don't go too on the nose with the parallels, instead going for the general feel of 70s Saturday variety shows. And it's a musical! It's so utterly strange that it demands your attention. It doesn't feel that much like 70s Who, but I don't think this could be done back then. And Katy Manning throws herself into it wonderfully.

I appreciate that the script doesn't make too fine a point about it -- anything more would be awful -- but I appreciate the joke about how badly early kids programmes handled race (with the Cool Cat character).

It's a really great story generally; it's very very funny, the sound design and music are excellent (as are both the songs). It's all very cheerful and hosed up. Clearly, clearly influenced by Ben Edlund's Smile Time from Angel, but not a bad thing IMO.

BF have done a handful of sequels to this (and a cameo in a Torchwood story) and they're all pretty good too. James Goss is just a great, great writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeCafn-uuk

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

"Look, all I ever wanted was to be in charge of writing a science fiction show where I could put a morally compromised man of violence who shoots lots of people at the centre of the action.

And then I ended up as script editor of Doctor Who. WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME, FATE?"

In a parallel universe where Blake's 7 went on a few more years...

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Astroman posted:

In a parallel universe where Blake's 7 went on a few more years...

Or where the final scene of the show happens every episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:stonklol:

https://twitter.com/frombwtocolor/status/1624910454156931072

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What the Christ?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I... I was not expecting that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Yeah, that intro was a bit clunky but is outdated CGI really that shocking to-- what. the. gently caress."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's not a lot of effort, but probably a hell of a lot more than it would be today. Retyping all those credits would be a pain in the rear end. What a waste of time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah ha, the answer is in the replies! Blame a local PBS station

https://twitter.com/cleverprime/status/1625317727165636608

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Such a bizarre waste of effort, and I say that even though the McCoy intro might be my absolute favorite of all the classic Who intros.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coming next: POLICE

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The_Doctor posted:

Ah ha, the answer is in the replies! Blame a local PBS station

More specifically a European satellite station based in the UK - can’t blame the US this time!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Despite that bit of credits blasphemy, I will die on the hill that the 90 minute PBS edits are a great way to experience the original series, and if they were available now more new fans might watch the old episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, the BBC themselves have put up cut down versions of classic stories like Genesis of the Daleks.

https://youtu.be/RUNLK2oN5c4

https://youtu.be/zdAdhJyUPcg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For a short time after I discovered the series I thought it was all 90 minute single story episodes like a movie of the week or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The version of Genesis of the Daleks they did a theatrical run with a few years ago was a cut down version -- fun time to go see also lol at realizing that was pre pandemic and such so it's a minimum of three years ago

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DrWhoMoment/status/1624860896760856576?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That sounds like it had a very high potential to have been terrible, but I do like the idea of a character (not even necessarily the Doctor) who has unexpectedly turned swole and doesn't know how to navigate a body like that and is terrified they're gonna break everything they touch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Who and the World of Cardboard

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does the UK have any wrestlers turned actors who could make for a good Muscle Doctor?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

does the UK have any wrestlers turned actors who could make for a good Muscle Doctor?

Cast Vinnie Jones as a surprisingly timid and anxious Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

That sounds like it had a very high potential to have been terrible,

I mean, it was Virgin's New Adventures

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
🎵Say his name, and he appears
I believe in the Doctor🎵
*clap clap*

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I remember as a reader of the NAs as they came out "live", wishing they would move on and advance the character by regenerating him. This was before the TV Movie and the idea that there could be a new series that continued in the continuity of the old. Not seeing that as even a slight possibility, I imagined a world where the novels continued on with the last Doctor for 20 years becoming ossified and losing steam.

I think had the TV movie not happened, it would have been the right move. There were some times when the novels really put the Doctor through the ringer and seemed to hint they were going to do it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1626187085823545345

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

That's a really nice photo! Reminds me I need to check out more 9th doctor big finish.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just a Mike Haggar Doctor drop kicking Daleks

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm watching journeys end for the first time in several years and I remember it being melodramatic but just not how melodramatic. It sure is uh something and I really want to be onboard for it! but I just can't. Just slightly too much for even me.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That's what I'm hoping RTD doesn't revisit, the melodrama, companion swooning over the Doctor, and the Doctor being written as the most important person ever, with lots of deus ex machina resolutions.

That's why Waters of Mars works so well, it holds the Doctor accountable. Moffat did the same thing really well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Each doctor is something between a baby genius newborn and infinitely old demigod so it's always a bit weird when he gets flirty with whatever kid he picks up for a couple seasons.

Between River and Clara, the Doctor has enough women tangled up in a timely wimey way with his own timeline. Cool if they lay off the doctor romances for a bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OldMemes posted:

That's what I'm hoping RTD doesn't revisit, the melodrama, companion swooning over the Doctor, and the Doctor being written as the most important person ever, with lots of deus ex machina resolutions.

That's why Waters of Mars works so well, it holds the Doctor accountable. Moffat did the same thing really well.

Moffat's run has a lot more of the "the Doctor is the most important person ever" than RTD's run did

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe that could be a good Master plot, just to humble The Doctor. Show the Doctor an alternate universe where the Doctor or even Time lords in general depending on which origin they go with, and everything is just fine, nearly the same with different solutions not involving a random time Traveller interfering. But maybe that's going too far so they can just make it a trick of the Master and have a montage of people saying naw Doctor good and helped me it's cool, play the music: kick Master rear end.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Moffat's run has a lot more of the "the Doctor is the most important person ever" than RTD's run did

I'd say they downplayed it a lot, with the Doctor trying to cover his tracks as much as possible due to his guilt over the silence blowing up the universe, and 12 had a lot more self doubt.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not before playing it up to an absurd degree though -- The Wedding of River Song is bigger and more aggrandizing than anything anyone's ever done for the character.

And there are similar moments throughout even the Twelth Doctor era.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm about six books into the Eighth Doctor Adventures, thinking of reading maybe four more or so. I really dug the first one I picked up, Vampire Science, despite really hating the "Time Lords and vampires are ancient enemies" thing, and it took me several more books to figure out why. The characterization of Eight is all over the place, which isn't really surprising when the authors had maybe 45 minutes of McGann footage to base their version on. Lawrence Miles basically writes a generic Doctor, Kate Orman and Jonathan Blum go for sort of a patient but firm Doctor whose lines you can easily hear McGann delivering... except for in Vampire Science, where they have somehow written the best Thirteen story several years too early. A couple excerpts that I think you can easily imagine Jodie delivering:

quote:

'See that one?' he asked, tapping his finger on the glass. 'The red star, just to the right of the building across the street.'

Carolyn looked, hoping she had the right one.

'On the fourth planet out from that star, there's a race of intelligent sea serpents who worship whales as gods. The whales on that planet aren't intelligent, of course, and the serpents know that, but they believe the whales are so enlightened that they don't need to be intelligent. Around that one' – he pointed again – 'there's a frozen world where an old enemy once stranded me. I had to build a fire to keep warm till I could be rescued, and I ended up throwing one of my favourite ties on the fire to keep it going. And around that sun' – he pointed at another star, directly overhead – 'there's an ice-cream shop where they kept me waiting an hour and a half for a chocolate milk shake. Can you believe it!'

Carolyn burst out laughing. 'No way.'

His eyes were utterly earnest. 'I mean it. The shop was mobbed. I tried to complain, but the man behind the counter was just swamped. "I've only got six hands!" he said...'

It suddenly occurred to her that she believed every word of it. Little green men had always seemed ludicrous, but somehow little green men serving milk shakes had a kind of a ring of truth to it.

Of course it made no sense, but the possibilities of how interesting nonsense could be were unfolding before her eyes.

She looked out of the window. 'This is what the sky had looked like when I was a kid,' she said.

'So,' asked the Doctor, 'what do you do?'

They'd been waiting for an hour. The Doctor was sitting on the floor, back against the wall, while she dozed in the beanbag. She'd heard him go out, speaking with Sam, low voices at the edge of her consciousness. When he'd got back, she was wide awake.

'Not much,' she said. 'Nothing that compares to fighting Daleks and stuff like that.'

'Oh, tell me anyway,' he said. 'I know all my stories – I'd rather hear yours.'

quote:

'You're not just going to walk away from this one,' the Doctor said levelly.

'No,' Eva gasped.

'Whether you cooperate or not, either way it's over. No more killings. I can't let you kill anyone else.'

Eva was staring up at the Doctor, an animal look of hatred and fear on her face.

'At least I'm giving you a choice,' he said. Carolyn realised that his hands were shaking. 'That's more than you've given anyone.' He looked – he looked afraid, as though he was the one on the business end of the stake. 'Please. Talk to me.'

Eva's left hand shot up. Her fingers locked around the Doctor's hands, around the end of the stake.

Carolyn ran towards the Doctor, tried to pull Eva's hand away. He was straining against her. She could feel each bone in Eva's hand, the fingers tight, her strength overpowering them both.

'Sam,' cried the Doctor. 'Hide your eyes.'

The stake pushed down under her hand.

'It had to happen eventually,' said Sam helplessly.

'It did not have to happen,' said the Doctor. His hands were grasping the wheel as tightly as they'd grasped the stake.

'There's got to be another way. Must be another way.' He went on mumbling under his breath, his brain churning onward, refusing to let go of the problem even for a moment.

There's the sense of glee at being on a grand adventure, a stronger commitment to non-violence without the TV version of being a complete wimp about it. It's definitely vying with the covid safety video for me of being Jodie's second-best story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the BBC Eigthth Doctor, after some character development, ends up being the most violent Doctor. He shoots a dude in the head and kicks another into lava. One of his companions cleaves a guy's head apart with an axe.

They all deserve it though, and it's a fairly well done arc.

The Richards era is one of my favourites, I should go back and reread them some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think I have a problem