Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Also, why the gently caress is this broadcast rocking that extreme narrow focus camera angle? What good is that? I want to see the green where the player is actually aiming. It’s not football, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Who has volunteered at an event before? Since I live five minutes away from Orange County National, who is hosting a LIV event next month, I got an email looking for volunteers (marshal, supply distribution, hospitality access). Figured it could be an interesting way to spend a few hours

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My Dad does it all the time and he loves it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How do people feel about swing training tools? There seem to be some really common ones like the orange whip and speed ball.

I'm really struggling to feel what an inside out swing (or just even plane) is like, and if there's anything in the sub $50 range that's legit I would definitely try it.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Home Depot driveway markers, dollar store pool noodles, and a plastic clothes hanger. Drills explained by a bunch of golfers on YouTube.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is the healthiest the Cat has looked after 3 rounds in what feels like forever. Gives me a bit more hope we see him again before the Masters.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

Who has volunteered at an event before? Since I live five minutes away from Orange County National, who is hosting a LIV event next month, I got an email looking for volunteers (marshal, supply distribution, hospitality access). Figured it could be an interesting way to spend a few hours

Please send a trip report, I'd love to hear all about what LIV shows you/tells you/sends you.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chromatics posted:

How do people feel about swing training tools? There seem to be some really common ones like the orange whip and speed ball.

I'm really struggling to feel what an inside out swing (or just even plane) is like, and if there's anything in the sub $50 range that's legit I would definitely try it.
I do the one with the alignment stick, where you hold that with the club and try to keep it connected to your body. Helps with back swing path and also rotating through impact.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m not normally a golf-watcher. Is there anywhere I can find the live interview Morikawa did while he was play the 10th on Saturday?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

I do the one with the alignment stick, where you hold that with the club and try to keep it connected to your body. Helps with back swing path and also rotating through impact.

I don't know that one, is it a homemade thing or something you can buy?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Jon Rahm might be too good at golf

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Added a bunch of pics and video from today at Riv: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vDDUAQiLv5gTxrYX8

Homa made it interesting mid-way through the round, but that tee shot and 2nd on #13 killed his momentum. We just happened to be talking with Max's father as he hit both of those shots, so that was wild.

Other highlights were nearly getting hit by both Homa and Mitchell's drives left of 15 fairway.

Rahm is a beast though, drat.

This week was the best weather they've had for this tournament in years (it almost always rains one or two days), but the course was playing insanely firm and fast because of it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I played just a little golf today :)

Definitely changing groups though. I had one of those want to quit golf rounds today(one par) in a foursome where the C player was a 5hci. I can't hang with that group, nor their teebox. The one monster par 4 I went driver 3 wood. Went driver hybrid on another. I couldn't get it to the monster par 3 with driver Those guys made 3 birdies each on the front! I spent most of the way trying to hit small fast sloped greens from 165+ when I hit a 7 150. Getting out driven by 50+ yards hosed with me something horrible. Dudes hitting PW as far as my 8 iron didn't help either. By the turn, I was convinced I was the worst player on the entire course. Turns out, that foursome contained the three top players there. Man, my expectations are so out of whack. I really had no idea. I'm looking at 6-8 foot putts like I have no business on a golf course if I can't make those. I would change something every time I missed to the point where was chunking everything.

Still love the club. Lots of very very nice people, not a Karen to be found.

My best friend grabbed me after the round and we played the first 5 holes again from a shorter tee while sharply questioning my approach to every shot. I went birdie par par bogey par. The first 5 holes on my course are definitely the hardest too. Bless that dude :)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 20, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Stay with that group for another round, but play appropriate tees. Playing with better players who aren't assholes is helpful to me. But, don't try to compete.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

BCRock posted:

Added a bunch of pics and video from today at Riv: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vDDUAQiLv5gTxrYX8

Homa made it interesting mid-way through the round, but that tee shot and 2nd on #13 killed his momentum. We just happened to be talking with Max's father as he hit both of those shots, so that was wild.

Other highlights were nearly getting hit by both Homa and Mitchell's drives left of 15 fairway.

Rahm is a beast though, drat.

This week was the best weather they've had for this tournament in years (it almost always rains one or two days), but the course was playing insanely firm and fast because of it.

Holy poo poo this rips.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Bernhard Langer tied Hale Irwin for most wins on the Champions tour (45). 65 years old. Hit driver off the deck on the last hole even though he was up by 2.

Anno
May 10, 2017

BCRock posted:

This is at my home course where I'm playing right now, after his round at Riv yesterday.
https://twitter.com/jklein629/status/1626345826464452608

Danny Lee update:

https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/1627000220683829248?s=46&t=As5qOpWW_URE-tqpIV5MHg

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Stay with that group for another round, but play appropriate tees. Playing with better players who aren't assholes is helpful to me. But, don't try to compete.

This, there's no reason to play the same tee box as those guys but there are plenty of reasons to play with and watch how better golfers get around the course.

E: Wet, windy, and hilly yesterday:

Thankfully that total time includes warmup

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 20, 2023

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I would say just swallow your pride and play up a box. I'll play up a tee if I'm working on something or I know I won't have a good time on approach shots. You'll thank yourself, and your playing partners will (or should) be happy you're playing better and therefore faster.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chromatics posted:

I don't know that one, is it a homemade thing or something you can buy?
I can't find the exact video I was thinking of, but you see something like the second half of the video here on the take-away (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtwDQORU8c), or this one re impact (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jXUYt1t75E).

At least it's helpful for me since I 1) tend to take away inside all the time and 2) don't really rotate hips through impact.

ElGroucho posted:

I would say just swallow your pride and play up a box. I'll play up a tee if I'm working on something or I know I won't have a good time on approach shots. You'll thank yourself, and your playing partners will (or should) be happy you're playing better and therefore faster.
Yeah, 100%

gvibes fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 21, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

I can't find the exact video I was thinking of, but you see something like the second half of the video here on the take-away , or this one re impact .

At least it's helpful for me since I 1) tend to take away inside all the time and 2) don't really rotate hips through impact.

Yeah, 100%

These are great, thanks.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Learned a new skill today :)

In winter, our typically bermuda fairways go dormant as hell resulting in lies tighter than dick's hatband. Using lob wedges on this is a surefire way to chunk one, as I learned last weekend. Spent a whole session with an 8-iron hitting 40 yard bump and runs and wow that's easy. You don't have to put near as much on the ball to get the distance and it does not dig in at all. Bunkers are still an issue but seems to work well on elevated greens too where you can bury it in the side of the hill to take most of the roll off. Neat.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

i am a moron posted:

Wonder what’s gonna happen when all the lawsuits fail and the folks who went over there realize no one will ever care about LIV

Did you watch the Netflix doc? Nobody that went over to LIV gives a gently caress if people care about it. They just want the cheques to clear.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Apparently Koepka (Brooks obviously) is having some big regrets about moving to LIV because he took the bag when he was injured and unsure if he'd ever play well again, and welp, turns out he can still play.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boo hoo

Don’t feel bad for anyone who signed their soul away

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress anybody who went to LIV. No pity from me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I could get used to this. We had this cleared over the winter. I can blast a 3 wood full bore and keep it in the fence. Driver…is a bit much when something clicked today and I launched one into the swamp down there :D

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Sally Jenkins has an article in the WaPo where she just eviscerates the LIV tour. This is the opening sentence: "The airborne toxic event called LIV Golf is slowly dissipating, and soon all that will be left is the mere faint scent of its portable toilets."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Presto posted:

Sally Jenkins has an article in the WaPo where she just eviscerates the LIV tour. This is the opening sentence: "The airborne toxic event called LIV Golf is slowly dissipating, and soon all that will be left is the mere faint scent of its portable toilets."

goddamn that's a world class open

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

:cawg: That is chef's kiss right here, holy poo poo!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So forgive my ignorance (I kind of dropped golf when covid hit) but what changed with regards to LIV? I thought a lot of posters here loved the idea of a competing league and that they were way ahead of the PGA in terms of streaming and technology.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Saudi blood money mainly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Saudi blood money mainly.

This and honestly it's just not very good golf

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

This and honestly it's just not very good golf

I assume this ties into what my dad says in that the majority of players that made the jump have just terrible personalities which makes the actual golf boring and unfun to watch?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I assume this ties into what my dad says in that the majority of players that made the jump have just terrible personalities which makes the actual golf boring and unfun to watch?

I mean, this is what made me turn off the Brooks Koepka episode of Full Swing :shrug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

way ahead of the PGA in terms of streaming and technology.

lol no. Their youtube broadcast is a joke. Also, you can watch it on TV this year, on the CW lol

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

I mean, this is what made me turn off the Brooks Koepka episode of Full Swing :shrug:

His interior decorating was so loving funny. But on the other hand, it was this episode that made my gf want to play more this spring so I guess I'm a fan.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

lol no. Their youtube broadcast is a joke. Also, you can watch it on TV this year, on the CW lol

It was incredibly obvious when they stopped paying for youtube view bots and the last few events only got like 10-15k concurrent viewers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xsf421 posted:

It was incredibly obvious when they stopped paying for youtube view bots and the last few events only got like 10-15k concurrent viewers.

Yup, and if they think their viewership is going to be any better on the CW, well that's just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The broadcast was offensively bad and it was just a confusing hodgepodge of random things happening due to the shotgun start. I would’ve kept it on my work laptop in the background week to week if it wasn’t so stupid and terrible