Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zoids pachinko machine let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hellioning posted:

Zoids pachinko machine let's go!

Don't you put that evil on us.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Please Pachinko is 2010's, the new way to treat a franchise horribly is NFT's

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mobage is always an option

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Gripweed posted:

Mobage is always an option

Wasn't this the last big Zoids reveal in like 2016?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Wasn't this the last big Zoids reveal in like 2016?

Zoids Wild ran from 2018 to 2020, with shorts in 2021. So there's been Zoids pretty recently.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i couldn't get through the first episode.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure zoids was never good, and I'm better off treasuring the few memories I have of seeing it on toonami instead of trying to rewatch it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm sure zoids was never good, and I'm better off treasuring the few memories I have of seeing it on toonami instead of trying to rewatch it

Depends on which series you're talking about, New Century Zero(the one we got first in the US with Liger Zero) is a mixed bag though still fun, Chaotic Century/Guardian Force though still holds up pretty well

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The dub of New Century is also decent (which is good, since it has no actual subs) since it's a lot of the Ocean Gundam people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i couldn't get through the first episode.

I did but wouldn't consider it as a worthwhile endeavor.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Gotta pour one out for Leiji Matsumoto

RIP to a real one for sure

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Depends on which series you're talking about, New Century Zero(the one we got first in the US with Liger Zero) is a mixed bag though still fun, Chaotic Century/Guardian Force though still holds up pretty well

My Sister's Getting Married Today!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-hkKgcuF0

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I could never get into the zoids anime because that early CG was ugly. The toys, however, were cool - but from what I've come to understand, their inability to preserve and recreate their molds wound up being the death of their own products as even reprints and reproductions of their toylines in later years just used increasingly hosed up molds and lower quality plastics leading to really lovely kits no one wanted.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I could never get into the zoids anime because that early CG was ugly. The toys, however, were cool - but from what I've come to understand, their inability to preserve and recreate their molds wound up being the death of their own products as even reprints and reproductions of their toylines in later years just used increasingly hosed up molds and lower quality plastics leading to really lovely kits no one wanted.

Funny from my recollection the quality of the CG in Zoids was actually really good for the era

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It was but even so not everyone dug how it looked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Much less ugly than usual' can still be quite ugly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just as a heads up, since there's probably at least one interested person who doesn't know this (as I didn't until recently), but someone has translated the Do You Remember Love novelization. Which I didn't even know existed until recently. I've no idea how good the translation is, but it's probably worth a read at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1631059252071546881?s=20

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Isn't that based on a short story the author did as a bonus?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bwuh?

wuh?

i wish to know more

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry the Starship Troopers anime is over that way.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Magic girl is great and all but what about more episodes?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A1 is currently melting from doing too many series at once but I have to imagine 86 and Bocchi are on the top of the list for sequels

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did 86 make a bunch of money? I know it was a critical success but idk if it was making second sequel money

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Did 86 make a bunch of money? I know it was a critical success but idk if it was making second sequel money

Hard to say without a look at the numbers studios don't share, but what I can find seems positive. It boosted LN sales, the DVDs sold pretty well by modern standards (with the second half improving on the first), and the model kits moved at a good pace. It doesn't seem like it was in LycoReco territory where the reception was so much better than expected that they scrambled to lock in plans for more anime, but it looks like it at least did well enough to say that a sequel is under consideration.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've been replaying SRW 30 with all the DLC, and what's the deal with Shinkalion?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kid's show in the vein of the Brave series with a heavy exclusive focus on trains. Haven't seen anything of it but it seems to be reasonably popular.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It also has Miku as a character and had an Evangelion catalog so Miku's been in both a kids robot anime and Jashin-chan!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Hard to say without a look at the numbers studios don't share, but what I can find seems positive. It boosted LN sales, the DVDs sold pretty well by modern standards (with the second half improving on the first), and the model kits moved at a good pace. It doesn't seem like it was in LycoReco territory where the reception was so much better than expected that they scrambled to lock in plans for more anime, but it looks like it at least did well enough to say that a sequel is under consideration.

I heard the sequel was 86'd

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So I've been replaying SRW 30 with all the DLC, and what's the deal with Shinkalion?

It brings up that child soldiers are bad, and then kind of brushes past it with 'well the child soldiers really want to be child soldiers, so.' It also features Hatsune Miku playing a Hatsune Miku But She Pilots A Train Mecha. They actually bring up the train designed to look like Eva-01 and immediately start make Eva references in a children's show.

In short it is a show of contrasts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh they don't just make Eva references there's a full-on crossover episode that features the first appearance of Hikari's oft-mentioned but never actually seen sisters (because they're named after trains)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is Shinkalion available with subs anywhere?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hellioning posted:

It brings up that child soldiers are bad, and then kind of brushes past it with 'well the child soldiers really want to be child soldiers, so.' It also features Hatsune Miku playing a Hatsune Miku But She Pilots A Train Mecha. They actually bring up the train designed to look like Eva-01 and immediately start make Eva references in a children's show.

In short it is a show of contrasts.

The eva stuff sounds really weird.

Justin_Brett posted:

Kid's show in the vein of the Brave series with a heavy exclusive focus on trains. Haven't seen anything of it but it seems to be reasonably popular.

But I got some pretty Brave Series vibes from it, yeah. The mechs in SRW look real awkward because their style doesn't mesh with the rest of the game very well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wdarkk posted:

Is Shinkalion available with subs anywhere?

Not officially. I followed it in the land of :filez: for a while before it got repetitive, but apparently I got off the train before it went completely off the rails as it were.

Also Miku randomly showing up in a mecha property reminds me of the time the Miku Virtual On collab got into Super Robot Wars and had a completely deranged backstory for her: see she wasn't actually Miku but a robot idol from the Futurepast where man is indistinguishable from machine (thus excusing SD Gundam showing up as well) who basically copied her entire image from Miku, the legendary past idol and is on a journey to commune to be the best Miku-themed idol she can be!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
iirc She was also called to that era by a group from Mazinkaiser SKL, meaning Miku was linked in-story to one of the craziest, most over-the-top violent things to ever be in Super Robot Wars.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Not officially. I followed it in the land of :filez: for a while before it got repetitive, but apparently I got off the train before it went completely off the rails as it were.

Also Miku randomly showing up in a mecha property reminds me of the time the Miku Virtual On collab got into Super Robot Wars and had a completely deranged backstory for her: see she wasn't actually Miku but a robot idol from the Futurepast where man is indistinguishable from machine (thus excusing SD Gundam showing up as well) who basically copied her entire image from Miku, the legendary past idol and is on a journey to commune to be the best Miku-themed idol she can be!

Shame that was during the period where Getter Robo was for most part given the boot from mobile SRW games for some reason, could have had New Getter Robo on the roster and tie the future that she and the SD Gundam guys come from with the Getter Emperor dominated future we see briefly in that series

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is Rayearth better read or watched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Both go different places in the second half, since the manga wasn't quite finished and the director of the anime got to do his own ending.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2023