Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

In Mick's story it was Bob Holly, I'm pretty sure.

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Didn't something similar happen with William Regal and Zack Ryder?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are you thinking of Zack Ryder and Rory Fox, who’s gear exploded

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That is what I was thinking of.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, Regal straight-up just had his dick out during a backstage segment of a PPV. Honest mistake.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gavok posted:

Yeah, Regal straight-up just had his dick out during a backstage segment of a PPV. Honest mistake.

Can't believe I'm asking this but are there any more details?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Can't believe I'm asking this but are there any more details?

No Mercy 2006.

"They did show William Regal's tallywhacker, by complete accident, in a PPV skit in which he was exiting a shower and comparing "size" with Big Vito."

You can just Google it if you want to see.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HHH stole the penis suplex story? Holy poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Edge should do a stalling vertical suplex as a signature move and call it the Edging Suplex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Edge should win Money in the Bank and call it the Edge Case and then move into a shipping container at the Grand Canyon and call it Living on the Edge.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Edge should do a move where everyone looks really bored and disappointed when he comes out and call it Over The Edge

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's like that Tears for Fears song but it's everybody wants to expose Al Snow's penis to children.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are you thinking of Zack Ryder and Rory Fox, who’s gear exploded

Did Rory Fox get absolutely hosed by that indie booker on the MTV documentary who made him a paperboy, and as a "compromise" included the word "Rapid" in his name

Like could he have gone further or done it faster if they hadn't saddled him with that absolute dogshit gimmick, or was being on MTV to his advantage in spite of it all

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Edge should start a let's play channel and do a let's play of Catherine and call it Edging with Edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?Q8jQCIsGsgU&t=207s

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
This is probably not a terribly difficult question, but:

What are some of the best heel vs heel & face vs face feuds? The longer while remaining compelling, the better.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Tanahashi vs. Okada

Okada's been a face longer than he was a true heel

People swear by Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker

edit: your question was probably prompted by this video but here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqK6NZn8Vw

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 23, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like that Martell vs hbk heel feud.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FakePoet posted:

This is probably not a terribly difficult question, but:

What are some of the best heel vs heel & face vs face feuds? The longer while remaining compelling, the better.

If you have a high tolerance for 80's stuff, check out Memphis and anything with Lawler. Awful person, amazing wrestler.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maybe HBK and Bret Hart leading up to the Ironman WrestleMania match?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Something inspired by tonight's OC/Yuta match:

What are some notable matches where one of the wrestlers, for whatever reason, just ups and changes their style mid-match? This can't be the first time it's happened but nothing's coming to mind.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Commentary is still occasionally bringing up how FTR lost the belts because one of them went to the top rope and therefore lost sight of who they really are! Undoubtedly not as significant an example as you are looking for though.

If there are other good examples they would have to be outside WWE, given how there would be no way to explain to Vince the concept of changing up your style to adapt to something

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

most zack sabre jr matches are of his opponent switching things up to try to overcome this weird gobby octopus

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

most zack sabre jr matches are of his opponent switching things up to try to overcome this weird gobby octopus

they usually also include ZSJ ending his shine by trying to become a Strikes Guy & then eating either a forearm or a chop that could wake the dead

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oldskool posted:

they usually also include ZSJ ending his shine by trying to become a Strikes Guy & then eating either a forearm or a chop that could wake the dead
it’s the best comedy spot in the business, seen it more than i can remember and i still laugh every time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dawgstar posted:

If you have a high tolerance for 80's stuff, check out Memphis and anything with Lawler. Awful person, amazing wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTndTO1tqVk

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

jesus WEP posted:

One of my favourite versions of this was when he won the New Japan Cup with a different submission in each round only to fall to Okada, who pulled out a bunch of wacky lucha submissions from his early training in Mexico that Zack had never learnt

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I want to say Kurt Angle vs Benoit started as a mat wrestling match until Kurt was losing and he changed to a strike style

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Whatever happened to Horace Hogan?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Retired and became a construction worker, apparently

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured that's where they found him in the first place.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SG Bamboo posted:

One of my favourite versions of this was when he won the New Japan Cup with a different submission in each round only to fall to Okada, who pulled out a bunch of wacky lucha submissions from his early training in Mexico that Zack had never learnt
It's always funny to me when people forget that Okada was an Ultimo guy.

Okada's Cagematch ratings for his first few years are ridiculously low and then skyrocket up in 2012. I've never really seen much of his Toryumon Mexico stuff. Did he just kinda suck early on, or is it Cagematch people being weirdos as usual?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, the general consensus is that he was absolute shite in TNA, mainly because he was saddled with a shite gimmick, and the WK6 match was proof that oh, no, he isn't actually any better now and lmao that this idiot is challenging Tanahashi

no idea about his work in Toryumon Mexico and suchlike, but I imagine he was very green at the time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
TNA also didn't give him many matches, as I recall. Which sorta defeats the purpose of sending him there on excursion .

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Who are the wrestlers that aren't Naito that benefited most from excursions?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jay White basically came back as a different person. Just such a complete character right out of the gate.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hiromu CMLL excursions as well did him a world of good and set up a life time feud with Dragon Lee that is over cause Lee is in the Largo Loop

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Bryan Danielson taking 6 months off or whatever it was in 2003(?) or thereabouts to go work the English seaside holiday camps really helped him grow as a wrestler who engaged with the crowd. He's getting to work between 1 & 2 times a day in front of family crowds, people who were there because it was just some entertainment put on in the camp rather. I feel a lot of his later success with WWE can put on that period. I know he talks about it in his book. He was already great in 2003.

Another trip which wasn't an official excursion but I'd add to the discussion, Francesco Akira. He was a skinny young lad from a city outside Milan wrestling in the not very big Italian scene. On one of those shows he works in Milan, BWT, they'd brought in Tajiri, Tajiri sees this skinny kid in a 6 way match on the show & he clearly makes an impression as he gets to to Japan in 2019 for the Junior Battle of Glory tournament. Obviously he's new & not a big name so he comes bottom of his group but still gets a win & gets invaluable ring time, he stays for the March tour, goes home, comes back for another 3 months from July to early October & goes back to Italy. 2020 he starts the new year back in Japan, & does the 2 big tours over January & February. And then world stops with a virus running wild & borders closing. Most of the foreigners in All Japan decide to go home, understandably I think, but Akira stays around & he just gets to wrestle and train full-time. And his progress is rapid, he really gets it all together, getting time in the ring with Kento Miyahara, Suwama, Shuji Ishikawa, Shigehiro Irie, El Lindaman, Hikaru Sato, Koji Kanemoto, Yusuke Okada, etc really just helped him grow. One of the bright spots of that early COVID period, when people actually acted like it was a killer & the streets were empty, for me at least, was watching the weekly All Japan show they'd run for about 10-12 weeks. This was the start of me going from a guy who watched the bigger AJPW cards to catching everything they uploaded to their service. And all the time Akira is getting better & better. In 2021 he wins the Jr Battle of Glory and then he wins the PWF Junior Heavyweight Title. In September 2021 he finally leaves Japan after more 20 months in a foreign land. There he goes around Europe for a while before getting the call from New Japan for their Best of the Super Juniors & here we are, he's a regular in United Empire now. And it's all down to that time with All Japan, I really think he'll be able to look back on that decision to not leave Japan as the borders were shutting down as a changing point in his career.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It wasn't an official excursion but Ultimo Dragon turned himself into a star in Mexico and basically set the foundation for his entire career there.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Caught up on the Evil Uno/Moxley match. Are there any other examples of someone bleeding so profusely while still keeping a mask on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Big Daddy Yum Yum.