Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Killer robot posted:

Especially if you played vanilla, picked primary skills you use a lot so you level faster while your secondary skills got left behind, and focused on the main quest that has poo poo for good loot. It set your experience up to be as ugly as a randomly-generated character.

It was mostly a problem if your major skills were non-combat. If you picked a weapon type and an armor type, you'd generally be fine. Except if that weapon type was archery you'd run into problems.

But if all your majors were magic or stealth stuff you'd be hosed because the enemies scale to your level, but your level wouldn't match your combat ability.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Wasn't it the case with one of those games that the best choice was specifically to pick useless skills as your main skills because then your combat skills could easily outpace the enemy scaling? Or it had something to do with controlling the benefits of leveling to maximize bonuses or whatever? I never played them, but they get talked about a bunch in threads here

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kit Walker posted:

Wasn't it the case with one of those games that the best choice was specifically to pick useless skills as your main skills because then your combat skills could easily outpace the enemy scaling? Or it had something to do with controlling the benefits of leveling to maximize bonuses or whatever? I never played them, but they get talked about a bunch in threads here

The latter. When you level a skill that's associated with, say, strength, you get a bonus to strength if you use a point on it at level up. You can only put one little token into a skill when leveling, so if you don't have several skills with a maxed multiplier you "waste" some of your potential by increasing a skill with no bonus multiplier.

This poo poo is in no way necessary. The games aren't balanced around doing it, and it will in fact trivialize combat even faster. But some people feel compelled, while other people completely ignored it. This is why Skyrim did away with attributes entirely.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just play Skyrim you fuckin dorks

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just play Fallout 4.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just play Quake and skip the nerd poo poo

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Post pics, nerds

Amphigory has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Feb 23, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The latter. When you level a skill that's associated with, say, strength, you get a bonus to strength if you use a point on it at level up. You can only put one little token into a skill when leveling, so if you don't have several skills with a maxed multiplier you "waste" some of your potential by increasing a skill with no bonus multiplier.

This poo poo is in no way necessary. The games aren't balanced around doing it, and it will in fact trivialize combat even faster. But some people feel compelled, while other people completely ignored it. This is why Skyrim did away with attributes entirely.

If you literally bunny hop everywhere in Oblivion your acrobatics can get high enough you can sequence break gates and finish them in under a minute

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Amphigory posted:

Post pics, nerds

no

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Thereisnocat_/status/1628761108411518976

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mobby_6kl posted:

Just play Quake and skip the nerd poo poo

Play Elden Ring :colbert:

TK-42-1 posted:

If you literally bunny hop everywhere in Oblivion your acrobatics can get high enough you can sequence break gates and finish them in under a minute

You can also equip a suit of armor with 100% chameleon enchantment and shove enemies out of the way without them reacting. It's not as broken as Morrowind but it's still delightfully wonky.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

TK-42-1 posted:

There's this thing I used to call the Morrowind Hop, which is where you hug the thing that's too steep to scale, and you hop hop hop hop and grind against it until you managed to climb the fucker. You can Morrowind Hop your way around every single Bethesda game since. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4... Fallout New Vegas is the only one I've found this to be ineffective because they fuckin put invisible walls up all over the fuckin place in that game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sounds like it's too bad I didn't play Skyrim but Oblivion is the only ES game I played and it soured me on the franchise. Maybe I'll check out the next game when it comes out in... [looks online] ...good lord

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

credburn posted:

There's this thing I used to call the Morrowind Hop, which is where you hug the thing that's too steep to scale, and you hop hop hop hop and grind against it until you managed to climb the fucker. You can Morrowind Hop your way around every single Bethesda game since. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4... Fallout New Vegas is the only one I've found this to be ineffective because they fuckin put invisible walls up all over the fuckin place in that game.

it's really because bethesda didn't make new vegas, another studio did it for them. i also use this feature constantly in bethesda games, especially since the "correct" pathway is often difficult to find

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

At least in Skyrim, you actually jump-climb in reverse. I don't know why it works, but it does!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

Sounds like it's too bad I didn't play Skyrim but Oblivion is the only ES game I played and it soured me on the franchise. Maybe I'll check out the next game when it comes out in... [looks online] ...good lord

skyrim is better than oblivion, but not much better. it's at least a more fun game to gently caress around in without all the forced repetitive dungeon crawling - the dungeons are less repetitive and you can also just ignore the plot without hell portals everywhere

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can also equip a suit of armor with 100% chameleon enchantment and shove enemies out of the way without them reacting. It's not as broken as Morrowind but it's still delightfully wonky.

I’m pretty sure that you can only hit like 95% chameleon by enchanting a full set of gear in Oblivion…. unless you held onto the shackles you were bound in before Captain Picard gets assassinated, as they went into a unique gear slot used by nothing else in the game so you could sneak an extra enchant on ‘em.

Agents are GO! posted:

At least in Skyrim, you actually jump-climb in reverse. I don't know why it works, but it does!

I immediately tried this in Pokémon Scarlet when I got it and managed to sequence break around a lot of annoying gates and rivers and stuff super early.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

skyrim is better than oblivion, but not much better. it's at least a more fun game to gently caress around in without all the forced repetitive dungeon crawling - the dungeons are less repetitive and you can also just ignore the plot without hell portals everywhere

I played Skyrim for about a week and a half before I told my buddy that I was pissed off that there weren't dragons like the ads said. He looked at me like I was a moron and slowly explained that there is a dragon to fight during the first mission. I told him yes, thinking that he meant the tutorial. He didn't. I had been doing everything except the main quest and if you don't do that, you don't get dragons spawned. I was something like level 35 when I went back and did that first mission and it was not difficult to defeat it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rockman Reserve posted:

I’m pretty sure that you can only hit like 95% chameleon by enchanting a full set of gear in Oblivion…. unless you held onto the shackles you were bound in before Captain Picard gets assassinated, as they went into a unique gear slot used by nothing else in the game so you could sneak an extra enchant on ‘em.

I am very, very sure about the outcome, but could be wrong on the percentage. Or it could have been a bug or mod malfunction. I've never actually played it completely unmodded, even though I played it on day of release.

`Nemesis posted:

it's really because bethesda didn't make new vegas, another studio did it for them. i also use this feature constantly in bethesda games, especially since the "correct" pathway is often difficult to find

The debug console is a game mechanic imo

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Feb 23, 2023

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Flyinglemur posted:

I played Skyrim for about a week and a half before I told my buddy that I was pissed off that there weren't dragons like the ads said. He looked at me like I was a moron and slowly explained that there is a dragon to fight during the first mission. I told him yes, thinking that he meant the tutorial. He didn't. I had been doing everything except the main quest and if you don't do that, you don't get dragons spawned. I was something like level 35 when I went back and did that first mission and it was not difficult to defeat it.

Lol, literally did the same thing, got past the intro, ran off into the wilderness and never looked back, didn’t go to Whiterun for at least a couple dozen hours

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
No one plays Bethesda's games for the plot.

Which makes toddy boys attempts to make me give a poo poo about the dumbass baby in fallout 4 even stupider

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

carrionman posted:

Which makes toddy boys attempts to make me give a poo poo about the dumbass baby in fallout 4 even stupider

it was pretty lame that bethesda kept barking at me to go engage with the Worlds Most Obvious Plot Twist

the real crime of that game though was the half-baked but still fun settlement building mechanics, introduced at the same time as the "let's build a settlement" faction, and then the two barely intersected. i know they just ran out of time/effort to actually fuse the settlement building with the core gameplay in any kind of significant way. its funny though that the half-baked settlement stuff was more rewarding than engaging with the dismal plot. thanks for trying to give me sci-fi drama bethsoft, turns out all i wanted was lovely violent minecraft

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

Is this from another set like the Disneyland ones? Those were so absolutely amazing.

No idea, just found it labeled as Nixon screams at child.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it was pretty lame that bethesda kept barking at me to go engage with the Worlds Most Obvious Plot Twist

the real crime of that game though was the half-baked but still fun settlement building mechanics, introduced at the same time as the "let's build a settlement" faction, and then the two barely intersected. i know they just ran out of time/effort to actually fuse the settlement building with the core gameplay in any kind of significant way. its funny though that the half-baked settlement stuff was more rewarding than engaging with the dismal plot. thanks for trying to give me sci-fi drama bethsoft, turns out all i wanted was lovely violent minecraft

Getting Starfield and immediately finding the furthest planet from the plot to lay down a settlement and never leave.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oblivion has the Shivering Isles and a few really good and creative quests. You can also break the game over your knee with alchemy and enchanting.

Skyrim doesn't have any of that.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Skyrim defo has the "break the game with alchemy/blacksmithing" thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah they nerfed the feck out of basically all the magic schools, but they absolutely let enchanting, alchemy and blacksmithing get buck wild.

Edit: at least in terms of things like raw numbers on damage or paralysis or healing. You can't do some of the goofy stuff like making yourself 100% invisible with chameleon 100% of the time that I remember from Oblivion.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 23, 2023

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUdWCeRP3oY

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Skyrim is the only Elderscrolls game I've played where I have not completed the main quest yet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Stealth archer, but 100% invisible wasn't possible in Skyrim last time I played. I abused that a bit during some of the more bullshit parts of Oblivion.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

carrionman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdTZhmsGsU

Motherfucker put so much lore and literature in that loving game.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Don't need 100% invis if you have a pair of booty shorts that give you +234652457634573457 to stealth.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I've lost myself down a hole of Dagoth meme videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsDfrfxvoE

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Thaddius the Large posted:

Lol, literally did the same thing, got past the intro, ran off into the wilderness and never looked back, didn’t go to Whiterun for at least a couple dozen hours

That's actually the correct way to play oblivion. If you never go to Kvatch, no oblivion gates ever appear.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That might be the most embarrassing picture I've ever seen

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Manager Hoyden posted:

That might be the most embarrassing picture I've ever seen

in before turn on your monitor.

also, turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

:mad: