Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

People might want to swap weapons during a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

arsenicCatnip posted:

those president destiny memes absolutely kill me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6HCDMBUHI

im cry laughing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah swapping weapons is fine. Sometimes you hit a wall in terms of what you're facing and need to switch it up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Letting people swap guns around probably isn't a big deal either - allows for some counterplay. They don't want to shut that down.

They specifically want to shut down the scenario they outline of people getting the advantage of both kinds of exotics.

e: Beaten a bunch

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

SgtSteel91 posted:

People might want to swap weapons during a match

Maybe they should try getting good instead? (says the guy who has and will never will play trials)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have to choose 12 of the 25 artifact powers to unlock

But I can reset my artifact any number of times to select a different set

Every 'build' will certainly use a different list of artifact powers

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Loadout system can reset & reselect my artifact powers...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Loadout system can reset & reselect my artifact powers...

lol. lmao.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

it’s always one step forward two steps back

excited to pay 100k glimmer to swap between my subclasses

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Firebert posted:

it’s always one step forward two steps back

excited to pay 100k glimmer to swap between my subclasses

It's free, but the real cost is that every single time I change my build I will need to perform an artifact reset, and then consult whatever note I have left myself for that build (since artifact powers won't be saved as part of a Loadout), and then select them

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

with all of these ways to get OVERCHARGED and SERGEN why the gently caress do they even have the system in place? if a bonus has over 75% uptime then it should just be passive

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Yeah, why not use the existing modifier instead of a brand new one? Is there some legendary swapping meta I'm not aware of?

Maybe they want people to be able to swap once they see the other team's composition, but technical hurdles prevent them from delaying the loadout lock until after that point

There are some strats around using super generating exotics to get your super fast, then swapping to one that buffs your super on the round you want to use it. Alternatively, you can run "guns shoot better" exotics while your super is charging and "super supers better" when you're up.

This used to not be a great thing to do because the UI loads kind of slowly and swapping multiple items around isn't the easiest thing to do. With one-click loadout swapping and it able to pull from your vault, I can very much see item swapping stats to leverage super better on super rounds to take off and be annoying as poo poo to have to learn how to quickly inventory tetris in order to play the competitive shooting game better.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
I'm sure looking forward to an Unstoppable Ogre blasting me in the face and my Hunter friend Dodges so my now Radiant Scout Rifle is Anti-Barrier instead of Anti-Unstoppable. That seems well thought out.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I like that the TWAB specifically calls out being able to do Vox Obscura with the free weekend, when it's not part of the standard edition of WQ. Classic stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RocketRaygun posted:

There are some strats around using super generating exotics to get your super fast, then swapping to one that buffs your super on the round you want to use it. Alternatively, you can run "guns shoot better" exotics while your super is charging and "super supers better" when you're up.

This used to not be a great thing to do because the UI loads kind of slowly and swapping multiple items around isn't the easiest thing to do. With one-click loadout swapping and it able to pull from your vault, I can very much see item swapping stats to leverage super better on super rounds to take off and be annoying as poo poo to have to learn how to quickly inventory tetris in order to play the competitive shooting game better.

Yeah, I get this, and it was in the post. My question was, why spend time and effort on a brand new limited anti-some-swaps modifier when there's already an anti-all-swaps modifier, and that was also answered above (weapon swaps are part of trials and no one has a problem with this including Bungie)

Evilgm posted:

I'm sure looking forward to an Unstoppable Ogre blasting me in the face and my Hunter friend Dodges so my now Radiant Scout Rifle is Anti-Barrier instead of Anti-Unstoppable. That seems well thought out.

Leviathan's Breath stays winning

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's something kinda weird about needing to run Overload Bow mod so that my Wishender, Monarque, and Leviathan's Breath will do 25% more damage

The Loreley Titan nerf is that any time I use my Bonk Hammer I will lose the ability to stun Overload & Unstoppable Champions for 7 seconds

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I get this, and it was in the post. My question was, why spend time and effort on a brand new limited anti-some-swaps modifier when there's already an anti-all-swaps modifier, and that was also answered above (weapon swaps are part of trials and no one has a problem with this including Bungie)

Oh, yeah. Definitely it's a targeted fix and not a general one. weapon locking would make things worse and this makes things better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Swapping your guns right at the beginning of the match is pretty common when you are evaluating the other teams loadout. Locking your loadouts beforehand would be an awful idea.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/destinythegame/status/1628865634040745988?s=46&t=3fbMi8LS29u2KfhrpbFCEQ

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkk that scene at the end

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

...Oh. I can't un-see it.

That's a ghost.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

...Oh. I can't un-see it.

That's a ghost.

Sagira got fuckin swole

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dang that dude is rollin coal

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

If this is the intro cutscene, where the gently caress is this story going?!?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

RocketRaygun posted:

traveler is captured at the start and we all flee the second collapse?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think this is all intro cutscene, but unless the storytelling is radically different this year yeah the pacing is going to get weird

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RocketRaygun posted:

Corrupted. Traveler.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

holy crap!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's a lot of Earth Orbit Throwdown going on. I wonder if our journey to Neptune is just to get the Traveler's Gun Crystal or something

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
With the announcement of anti-barrier sidearms, I'm here to once remind everyone of the outstanding synergy of Arbalest and Forerunner. Arby not only pops barriers, but also grants bonus damage to kinetics hitting the target afterwards via Disruption Break. Forefunner, an kinetic sidearm, itself has a bonus that does extra precision damage to unshielded enemies. When paired, that little sidearm packs some serious heat in Nightfalls. I have fond memories this combo last time, seeing barrier pop from Arby, walking forward with my Forerunner getting a handful of precision shots in, then casually using a finisher on the champ. Good (read: great) times.

Also glaives are awesome, and I can't wait to see them in NF's again. Very very strong when used properly (for example, a good glaive user makes the boss room of Proving Grounds /significantly/ easier).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Judging by the various footage we've gotten so far, I'm assuming Lightfall kicks off with the Earth Orbit battle, and we end up hitching a ride on a Cabal ship which brings us to Neptune/Neomuna.

Maybe there's a stalemate moment in the battle, or whatever the witness is doing to the traveler is what kicks off the race to get the veil on Neptune.

Season of the Risen was somewhat set up as a 'meanwhile..." to WQ's campaign, so I assume Darkness Cities? seen in the promo art for Defiance showing up on Earth is a side effect of whatever happens in the opening battle before we go off to Neptune.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
all the artifact mods are passive now, but you can still only choose a limited amount! but resets are free! Come The Heck On Guys

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

muike posted:

all the artifact mods are passive now, but you can still only choose a limited amount! but resets are free! Come The Heck On Guys

It seems like an unfortunate design trait that they just backed themselves into, with Destiny being a pile of tweaks upon tweaks upon tweaks.... The passive artifact mods thing is really good but I can see how this was the mechanical result

Perhaps just choose the 12 Best Ones and don't even worry about the other 13

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I get it but it's so obvious that like 1/3 of them should just be gradual unlocks or optional unlocks and only the other 2/3rds might be OP if you get them all. They should just make all the anti-champion poo poo inherent to the season or part of the seasonal track

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

muike posted:

They don't want you have all of them because that would be a huge jump in power unless they made all the artifact perks much weaker.

Like, you can unlock them all right now but you sure as hell can't slot them all - and the mod energy system makes it so you can't really fit certain ones together regardless.

That said, the big questions are "is the artifact setup tied to your loadout" (lol if no) and "can you swap active perks without resetting the whole artifact" (lmao if no)

Because right now the first column is going to be a goofy thing - having all of the basic anti-champion perks active at the same time doesn't really confer meaningful power - you just pick the ones relevant to your loadout, and whatever else you need to reach later tiers. Unless they changed how unlocking the tiers works, you'll always have 2 or 3 anyways. But if you need to reset the artifact because you decided you wanted to use and SMG but didn't have the overload AR/SMG perk unlocked, hoo boy.

They probably should just design the artifact in a way that you need to unlock all of column 1, or those perks are passive seasonal modifiers, balancing your points out for the other columns, otherwise it's always going to be this min-max problem.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

At bungie you have the “let’s flatten everything out and make the game simple” folks on one side, the “number go up more materials and mods and greebles” folks on the other side, and every day they vote to chop the baby in half

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I keep mentally replacing "12 artifact perks" with "6 artifact perks" because everyone is going to have all 6 anti-champion options open at all times

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Oxyclean posted:

They don't want you have all of them because that would be a huge jump in power unless they made all the artifact perks much weaker.

Like, you can unlock them all right now but you sure as hell can't slot them all - and the mod energy system makes it so you can't really fit certain ones together regardless.

That said, the big questions are "is the artifact setup tied to your loadout" (lol if no) and "can you swap active perks without resetting the whole artifact" (lmao if no)

Because right now the first column is going to be a goofy thing - having all of the basic anti-champion perks active at the same time doesn't really confer meaningful power - you just pick the ones relevant to your loadout, and whatever else you need to reach later tiers. Unless they changed how unlocking the tiers works, you'll always have 2 or 3 anyways. But if you need to reset the artifact because you decided you wanted to use and SMG but didn't have the overload AR/SMG perk unlocked, hoo boy.

They probably should just design the artifact in a way that you need to unlock all of column 1, or those perks are passive seasonal modifiers, balancing your points out for the other columns, otherwise it's always going to be this min-max problem.

Yeah the champion part is the part that makes me roll my eyes. They shouldn't be a part of the same system, imo

e: someone on reddit pointed out the shot of the traveler surrounded by pyramid ships looked a lot like sagira and while i'm not gonna invest much into that, it seems way too similar to think bungie didn't do it on purpose

muike fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 23, 2023

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Ghost bites it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*A* ghost bites it, the guardian is wearing generic armor

On rewatch, still lolling that the witness just strolls out into space to say hi to the traveler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Witness just being a guy when the traveler is a gigantic unfathomable orb is kind of unsatisfying to me. It can't really end up as Anime Eyes Guy vs. Giant Orb, can it?