Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Alignment adjustments are just an upsell scam by mechanics. You don't need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That must feel terrifying to drive.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

That must feel terrifying to drive.

Not really. Just adjust the trim tab after you start and you'll be fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sentient Data posted:

Almost everything being thrown is super low density and that tire is just thrown into the other one. Let's see a demo where the public has access with real objects on the street, then we're talking
Full video, the car bubble bit starts around 11:30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2moH6jWh8

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The preliminary NTSB report on the East Palestine derailment is out:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations...RkDErv8UjlzjYuE

The derailment was caused by a hot/seized wheel bearing. It had shown up as warm but under the threshold required for the crew to stop and inspect on two previous defect detectors before a third detector registered it as 253 F above ambient temperature, well over the threshold for the crew to not only stop and inspect but also set out the car. The derailment occurred while the train was in the process of braking so the crew could carry out the required inspection. From what's in the report, at least, the crew seems to have done nothing wrong. Blame isn't assigned in the preliminary report, but my reading would be what we all probably expected: fault lies with NS's maintenance practices and rules for addressing issues while underway.

Log082 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 23, 2023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"Millions of pisces, pisces for me"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Log082 posted:

From what's in the report, at least, the crew seems to have done nothing wrong. Blame isn't assigned in the preliminary report, but my reading would be what we all probably expected: fault lies with NS's maintenance practices and rules for addressing issues while underway.

I'm already seeing headlines like "Derailment happened after crew warned of overheating"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I must be the only one impressed by what it did protect the car from.

nah that thing is great for people who do not have a garage and also dislike hail storms or tropical storms maybe a cat 1 hurricane.

I'd look into getting one if hail was more common around here.

In other news, we got a few inches of sleet yesterday, and a snow removal contractor piled it all up in one spot at the top of a parking structure here, which then partially collapsed. no injuries, just some crushed cars.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 23, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

`Nemesis posted:

no injuries, just some crushed cars.

It's like a beautiful dream come true.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wonder how many years they go between maintaining wheel bearings :allears:

It's probably like, give it six squirts with the ol' grease gun once a year, or replace the 24 oz auto greaser cartridge every 18 months or something

I bet with proper maintenance the wheel/axles can go decades before needing replacement

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
OSHA thread, I seek your wisdom.
One of my college-aged neighbors appears to lack both tarp or ice scraper as she instead decided to pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol all over her windshield to break up what was now solidified sleet. To my thinking this is a bad dangerous idea. I did not stick around to see the results.
Am I so out of touch or is it the children who are wrong?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Odonata posted:

One of my college-aged neighbors appears to lack both tarp or ice scraper as she instead decided to pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol all over her windshield to break up what was now solidified sleet. To my thinking this is a bad dangerous idea. I did not stick around to see the results.

Afaik this is a great way to remove a sheet of sleet in a pinch. I don't see why it would be bad or dangerous, other than maybe not great for your car's finish?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Odonata posted:

I dunno, isn't deicer spray basically watered down alcohol too?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It'll gently caress up her paint job, if that's something she might care about.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I wouldn’t pour it but rather spray it, but that’s certainly a way to do it without obliterating your windshield the way pouring hot water could.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
It would appear I am indeed so out of touch. All I could think of was it being a very flammable liquid on her car.
Owning an ice scraper still seems like a better choice in New England.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

C.M. Kruger posted:

J.B.S. Haldane posted:
"You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft and, on arriving at the bottom, it gets a slight shock and walks away. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes."

IIRC, cats have a terminal velocity that's typically survivable for them, though they can of course get injured. YMMV depending on floofiness of cat and the surface they land on, too.

Still, you do sometimes see stories of cats falling out of skyscrapers and walking away - in theory you could airdrop unprotected cats from a plane and some significant fraction of them would walk away from the landing.

And just in case it needs saying: don't test this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Computer viking posted:

IIRC, cats have a terminal velocity that's typically survivable for them, though they can of course get injured. YMMV depending on floofiness of cat and the surface they land on, too.

Still, you do sometimes see stories of cats falling out of skyscrapers and walking away - in theory you could airdrop unprotected cats from a plane and some significant fraction of them would walk away from the landing.

https://i.imgur.com/61u9Rsr.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

Too late.

quote:

My dad was a skydiver back in the sixties. There was a guy in his club that was a nut. He had the idea that he could test the axiom that "cats always land on their feet" from free fall altitude, where he would fall with them and observe their self-righting behavior. He had no interest in aiding their descent, just wanted to see how they behaved in free fall. In his plan, landing was the cats' problem, not his. Scientific impartiality, or some such thing.

He took four stray cats up in a pillowcase for the jump. After exiting the plane, he turned the pillowcase inside out, releasing the cats. To his great surprise, all four cats attached themselves to his body immediately. With their claws. Given that cats have 18 claws each, he was punctured at least 72 times. More, probably, because he struggled vainly to remove the cats as he fell, but they were having none of it, and would reattach with even more conviction with every effort he made to pull them off.

Presently, he was out of altitude, and had to turn his attention to opening the chute. Let's pause to do some math. A chute opening can generate as much as 3 Gs of force. The average cat weighs 8 lbs at 1 G. At three Gs, this becomes 24 lbs per cat. So when the chute opened, for a moment this guy had 72 razor sharp claws in his skin, each one being pulled down with a force of about one and a third pounds. That's 96 pounds of cat. He was sliced to ribbons, basically.

All four cats hung on through the chute opening, although the skydiver's shredded flesh allowed each one to slip several inches. Bleeding and in misery, the skydiver managed to make a safe, if rather rough, landing in a farm field.

As soon as he hit the earth, all four cats ran off across the field, leaving him to lie there bleeding from his hundred or so wounds. He was the only member of the skydiving club that was displeased with the results of his experiment.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This discussion reminded me of a while back when I was doing a literature review on tornadoes and other whirlwind phenomena, and found this gem of a research project from back in the 1940s:

Now that's what I call ScienceTM!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Probably apocryphal story that circulated around the internet, originally from Reddit

quote:

My dad was a skydiver back in the sixties. There was a guy in his club that was a nut. He had the idea that he could test the axiom that “cats always land on their feet” from free fall altitude, where he would fall with them and observe their self-righting behavior. He had no interest in aiding their descent, just wanted to see how they behaved in free fall. In his plan, landing was the cats’ problem, not his. Scientific impartiality, or some such thing.

He took four stray cats up in a pillowcase for the jump. After exiting the plane, he turned the pillowcase inside out, releasing the cats. To his great surprise, all four cats attached themselves to his body immediately. With their claws. Given that cats have 18 claws each, he was punctured at least 72 times. More, probably, because he struggled vainly to remove the cats as he fell, but they were having none of it, and would reattach with even more conviction with every effort he made to pull them off.

Presently, he was out of altitude, and had to turn his attention to opening the chute. Let’s pause to do some math. A chute opening can generate as much as 3 Gs of force. The average cat weighs 8 lbs at 1 G. At three Gs, this becomes 24 lbs per cat. So when the chute opened, for a moment this guy had 72 razor sharp claws in his skin, each one being pulled down with a force of about one and a third pounds. That’s 96 pounds of cat. He was sliced to ribbons, basically.

All four cats hung on through the chute opening, although the skydiver’s shredded flesh allowed each one to slip several inches. Bleeding and in misery, the skydiver managed to make a safe, if rather rough, landing in a farm field.

As soon as he hit the earth, all four cats ran off across the field, leaving him to lie there bleeding from his hundred or so wounds. He was the only member of the skydiving club that was displeased with the results of his experiment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured, but in a disoriented state. When it recovered, it attacked the crew.[3]

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

From what I remember they're actually better off falling from, like, 10 stories than 2 because they have time to flatten out and go through a seam in the ground.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JAVpBu1.gifv

I never had the cool borderline psycho science teacher.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BlackIronHeart posted:

It'll gently caress up her paint job, if that's something she might care about.

Only temporarily, only mildly, and only if you've treated your paint. It'll just strip the wax or sealant if you've applied wax or sealant.

Isopropyl alcohol is widely used on car paint. Car detailers rub cars down with alcohol to strip sealant or wax. It's literally Step 2 after washing the car. It's also used in Step 3 as a lubricant when they rub a clay bar over the paint to pull out embedded grit. It's used again after polishing to remove any oils before the paint is finally waxed or sealed again.

They call it IPA or Panel Wipe. It's 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/kvVqNxT.gifv

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/JAVpBu1.gifv

I never had the cool borderline psycho science teacher.

My high school chemistry teacher was doing the ol' "Put a tiny sliver of sodium in water" demo and we kept begging him to do bigger pieces. Finally he pointed at the ceiling and the scorch mark there and said "Yeah, one time the physics teacher came around and called me a coward so I put in a bigger piece and that happened."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

maybe this thread needs a Milwaukee vs DeWalt poll

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I don't trust polls. I only trust ProjectFarm

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqjredNLLV1r0uzl6.mp4

https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1628480576842768389

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqjm1lPsK01uk10e9.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqi4boNRkh1s1ddrj.mp4

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Odonata posted:

It would appear I am indeed so out of touch. All I could think of was it being a very flammable liquid on her car.
Owning an ice scraper still seems like a better choice in New England.

Isopropyl alcohol is flammable but not when poured

Having a flashback to college where we drunkenly put vodka (which is 40% alcohol) in a pot and had to heat it up to the vapor point (about 180F) to get it to light

Is it flammable? Yeah undoubtedly. Is it the most dangerous chemical under your sink? Probably not

I'd be more concerned if it were gasoline, which has wildly different properties than iso

I'm not a chemist do not take this advice

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I just noticed the woman picking up her head.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stonk: I'm glad someone else was nearby
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqjsh5UVLx1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqi55lq6bj1s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqj2oqe8t81uk10e9.mp4

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Edit: nvm

grittyreboot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 24, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
old school bugs are easyer to deal with than most software bugs these days.

No joke but zip bag it and put it in a freezer for a few hours or day(s).

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I think it's funny that most hoods are just pointed outside. Once the hazard is out of the building, it's not a problem anymore.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't trust polls. I only trust ProjectFarm

We're gonna test that

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

There's GOT to be a BETTER way!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

maybe this thread needs a Milwaukee vs DeWalt poll

Only if “who’s payin?” Is an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bar88537 posted:

I think it's funny that most hoods are just pointed outside. Once the hazard is out of the building, it's not a problem anymore.

You can just vent BSL-3 pathogens into the atmosphere provided you’re a healthcare facility and not a laboratory.

quote:

In this method, the infectious disease zone (IDZ) is depressurized using an exhaust diversion system taking air from the IDZ and exhausting it to the outside 25 feet away from public access and air intakes

quote:

Large exhaust fans placed in the window can be used instead of HEPA filters if the air is exhausted 25 feet away from public access and air intakes.

Airborne Infectious Disease Management