Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

That kind of circles back to the goal being to draw NATO in then. Moldova apparently has a constitution that requires neutrality, but a wider conflict has to have some political goal for Ukraine beyond an ammo dump. I wouldn't go as far prompting a redeployment of US forces in Romania into theatre, but the last time Ukraine was making noise about this things were also not going their way.

It could be another pressure point, but I would say the problem is that again, NATO directly getting involved with Russian peacekeepers is a clear red line. Also, if the Ukrainian military wasn't prepared in 2014, I don't know how the Moldovan military would fair. I don't think they are ready for offensive operations to be honest.

Otherwise, the Ukrainians would have to get into potentially a messy secondary front while the war isn't going their way as it is. It would certainly be a sign of desperation but also it doesn't seem like the forces they have on hand really are armed or prepared for serious offensive operations.

Also, yeah internationally, it would just look really bad and completely hypocritical.

There are plenty of terrible ideas out there, but it would probably be a gift to the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

So this twitter thread was posted in a different thread with the claim it was anti-semitic. I was wondering what part made it anti-semitic that I was missing.
https://twitter.com/lopatonok/status/1628554695261446144?t=eTFqUvS6lVCzs8eoarGwxw&s=19

My guess? First picture in the thread has her with "NATO Ambassador" but someone thought that said "UN Ambassador" and immediately started denouncing the OP because all criticism of the UN is based in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

By the time they noticed that the pic said "NATO Ambassador," it was too late to turn back.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh look a small European nation that isn't part of NATO, sounds like the defensive alliance needs to get liberating.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

So this twitter thread was posted in a different thread with the claim it was anti-semitic. I was wondering what part made it anti-semitic that I was missing.
https://twitter.com/lopatonok/status/1628554695261446144?t=eTFqUvS6lVCzs8eoarGwxw&s=19
Why does he feel the need to mention that her father's real name is Nudelman in the second post?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

"They will welcome us as liberators" - V. Zelenskyyyy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Why does he feel the need to mention that her father's real name is Nudelman in the second post?

i got to the bit where he was crying about how could Russia have such good writers AND communism and closed the window

i can't help you sorry

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sum posted:

I think Russia might benefit if Ukraine takes Transnistria. Support for Ukraine in the west is visibly cracking and Ukraine invading its neighbor would be a great opportunity for some to jump off the wagon. If there's a bloody siege for Tiraspol or if the AFU take reprisals against ethnic Russians it would get harder to maintain the image of Ukraine as the plucky heroes defending themselves from the Asiatic hordes.

Of course the median outcome is that the whole incident would mostly be papered over as Ukrainians removing illegal Russian occupiers and little happens, but considering how bad the worst-case scenarios are and how little Ukraine has to gain, I don't see why they'd even consider it.

if it went well militarily, it would be covered as a victory for the territorial integrity of the legitimate government of moldova against pernicious russian influence. my guess is that you simply wouldn't see many reporters, or that any reports from the area would have to take a very strong anti-russian editorial stance to get printed

there's a freelancer working for the norwegian leftie daily Klassekampen reporting from russian-occupied territories which is operating on this model, noting that a lot of the people he talks to blame the ukrainians for atrocities in mariupol and then following it up with "ah, they have their news from russian telegram channels and various propaganda" because you really do have to do this in order to not get completely crucified. in a way it's interesting, because anti-kyiv ukrainians in these areas are framed as a kind of double victim - first of the invasion and war, but most insidiously of russian brainwashing and disinformation

e. also it would be reported as the russians initiating aggression on the front (because the ukrainians would claim this) and the ukrainians simply had to secure their rear against a russian puppet

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Feb 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my guess is the Moldovan story is a misdirect

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If you are in a conflict and losing, and keeping the current course is going end in your defeat, it makes a certain sense to make big plays. For the people in charge of making those decisions it doesn’t matter if you lose to Russia in a year vs 6 months. Why not make a grab at the nearby ammo dump? Worst thing that happens is you lose which you are already on course for anyway.

that’s the only way I can make sense of the decision to invade.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

really the only risk i can see with invading transnistria would be if they get bogged down and transnistria becomes an active front for a while. the government of moldova is apparently quite fragile enough as it is, and allowing a foreign country in to turn a big part of the country into a blasted war zone seems like a huge political liability - enough that it's very conceivable that the invitation would be rescinded one way or the other. that really would be a blow for ukraine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Can we get a few of the resident libs in the thread to go on the record on whether ukraine will invade moldova/transistria and if whether or not its good/bad. I want to have a preview of what the narrative might be from the media if it happens

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

i got to the bit where he was crying about how could Russia have such good writers AND communism and closed the window

i can't help you sorry

The thread author is saying the subject of the thread said that about the good writers and communism.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To establish their connection to the region? I really do not know

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KBoz3/status/1628784085857361923

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

impossible the nafo bros told me it would take years/never be fixed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

impossible the nafo bros told me it would take years/never be fixed

as ever, they mistakenly extrapolate a fairly high baseline of general governmental dysfunction with the government being unable to do anything

this bridge is a big prestige symbol and important infrastructure. there was never going to be any excessive graft in getting it fixed, because the project is extremely important and everyone knows that it's extremely important. do a good job and there will be plenty of opportunity to gently caress around and pocket the extra later.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ok so I guess that thread is anti-semitic because right wingers are claiming she is proof "the jews started the war". That thread doesn't make that claim though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

my guess is the Moldovan story is a misdirect

yeah it feels like every few months we get a bunch of stories about false flags and secret attacks and poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can we get a few of the resident libs in the thread to go on the record on whether ukraine will invade moldova/transistria and if whether or not its good/bad. I want to have a preview of what the narrative might be from the media if it happens

hmm, maybe a preemptive "surgical" strike to prevent the russians from crossing the border. or a regrettable but necessary action to secure the ammo dump because the russians were literally minutes from blowing it up, which would ???

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah they can basically just go with whatever narrative they want to, no one is going to ask questions

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Moldova story has been going since this mess started, the escalation is obviously happening right now for a reason. It doesn't have to be an invasion, but obviously Ukraine/NATO want something out of it.

https://twitter.com/Ukraine66251776/status/1566396957467312134

https://twitter.com/Keith_h96/status/1628096801633968128

The claim is sourced from this though

https://twitter.com/CecilieHolter/status/1628397711211872257

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess if Ukraine invades Moldova Russia is going to have to slow march the creeping artillery barrages that far west after all.

Might take a while to get there. May not be much left of the in between land formerly known as Ukraine though because it might be another year or two.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so I guess that thread is anti-semitic because right wingers are claiming she is proof "the jews started the war". That thread doesn't make that claim though.

Well, SOMEONE started this war. You know who. I'm not gonna say it though. I'm not allowed to say it. But, you know.

It was the Italians.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
who would take in the modovian refugees

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1628917777842012160?s=20

quote:

Pete Reed was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, one of his favorites, when he and his wife were finally reunited in early February. Volunteers had done their best to clean up the Marine veteran, 33, who had been providing medical aid in the eastern Donetsk region of Ukraine when his ambulance was struck by Russian munitions.

Reed's head had been gently wrapped in towels. He was draped in gold foil blankets, the kind usually handed out after disasters or at the end of marathons to keep people warm.

Potter had been to conflict zones before, having met and fallen in love with Reed in Northern Iraq years prior where he was providing casualty care to Iraqi and Kurdish forces while she reported on the war against the Islamic State. But this time, her purpose was different as she began the arduous process of trying to get Reed's body out of war-ravaged Ukraine.

Reed is the most recent of seven Americans known to have been killed fighting in Ukraine since the Feb. 24, 2022, invasion by Russia. Although the U.S. isn't officially involved in fighting in the conflict, the anniversary of the war marks a devastation felt by loved ones just the same as those lost in the War on Terror as hundreds of Americans have rushed to the country, some to fight, some to provide other aid.

Potter was working a night shift as a registered nurse Feb. 2 when, around 4 a.m., she got a phone call from the founder of Global Outreach Doctors, the organization Reed was working with to provide medical aid to those trapped in the war raging in Ukraine, telling her of her husband's death.

Responsibility for the cost of repatriating a fallen American's remains lies with the next of kin. Recent official estimates from 2017 show an average of around $3,000 to repatriate remains from neighboring Poland, as Ukrainian airspace is still closed. That number doesn't include the cost of getting remains out of war-torn Ukraine, and according to the U.S. Embassy in Poland, also doesn't include the cost of preparing the remains. The shipping preparation of ashes and remains ranges from $790 to $2,900. Cremation fees, which is how Reed wished to be laid to rest, could cost about $155.

Potter said she was grateful that a number of groups have worked to help honor Reed. "I've gotten [financial] support from Go Docs and [Global Response Medicine]," she said. "I had to pay for very, very little. He just had such a huge network of people." Global Response Medicine is the humanitarian aid organization the couple helped found after meeting in Iraq.

When Reed first left for Ukraine, Potter had been worried about her husband, but only minimally because of their time spent together in other war zones. "We went everywhere together, we did treatments together, assessments together, and in pretty sketchy scenarios," she said. "And there was never a time that I was with him that I felt like I was in danger, because he was incredibly smart."

The pair hadn't talked about the logistics of a potential loss of life before Reed died, because even though he was headed into a war zone, it hadn't seemed like a necessity.

"Remind each other that you love each other," she said, and then, in the irreverent humor shared by all military families, "and remember to share your passwords and documents."

how many of these medical PMC outfits are there lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
doctors with borders

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1628917758971740168?s=20

quote:

The World Bank estimates that Ukrainian GDP shrank by 35% in 2022.

And projected in October that the population share with income below the national poverty line would rise to almost 60% by the end of last year.

In a statement Tuesday after a visit to Kyiv, IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said she saw “an economy that is functioning, despite the tremendous challenges.”

A recent estimate from the Kyiv School of Economics put the total damage to Ukrainian infrastructure at $138 billion, while President Zelenskyy has estimated that rebuilding the country could end up costing more than $1 trillion.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1628917777842012160?s=20

quote:

When Reed first left for Ukraine, Potter had been worried about her husband, but only minimally because of their time spent together in other war zones. "We went everywhere together, we did treatments together, assessments together, and in pretty sketchy scenarios," she said. "And there was never a time that I was with him that I felt like I was in danger, because he was incredibly smart."
how many of these medical PMC outfits are there lol

War tourists used to gunning down brown people for funsies.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
basically what i suspect china wants is to sit the europeans and russians down to make an agreement to end the war in such a way that both sides save face and neither takes the blame. that could potentially leave donbass and crimea in russian hands and recognized with possibly the landbridge, and that's a "win" for russia however you stack it, because it's more territory than they entered the war with.

that'd be a bitter pill for ukraine and the hardliners won't accept it, but realistically what's the point of trying to fight for it anyways? most of the pro-ukrainian population in those areas no longer exists. but the ukrainians saved the rest of the country and the capitol and made russia eat poo poo, and while joining NATO is too much for russia, basically ukraine is part of europe now. and a deal in this regard would allow the europeans to enhance some of their own solidarity and make a decision, and ideally, everyone blames the U.S. in the end.

china's prestige go up. war ends. europe is more unified than before, which china wants because a weak, confederated europe is how the U.S. exercises hegemony over it.

and then right before china's proposal drops, you see a story drop in DER SPIEGEL claiming that china is maybe (!) or possibly (!!) considering (!!!) sending weapons to russia, which is definitely not like what the U.S. has been doing in ukraine for more than a year. maybe that's just a coincidence.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Feb 24, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/97282, via tgsa)

let 100 technicals bloom

cumrade this is tachanka

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

White coats and surgical scrubs are cheaper than camo fatigues so the answer is "how many medical themed PMCs you want?"

Give everyone a 3 day first aid refresher course to dust off the cobwebs and now you're a peace convoy.

Don't ask what are in the medical supply boxes though.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Feb 24, 2023

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I think what they want to do is declare that anyone purchasing Russian natural gas is aiding the war effort and that's enough for sanctions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Do not my friends become addicted to natural gas! It will take hold of you and you will resent it's absence.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

imagine hating your wife so much you go out of your way to volunteer to die to russian artillery with zero survivor benefits. not only does your family get nothing, they have to pay to get your stupid rear end body back

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I can't help but wonder if the Moldovan prime minister quit because she was under pressure to support Ukraine invading Transdniester and that's why they replaced her with the Secretary of the Supreme Security Council, who is presumably more in the loop re NATO.

Jel Shaker posted:

would that not also mean that russia would be compelled to also make land bridge via odessa to regain transnistria

I don't think it's accurate to say Russia controls Transdniester but I'm no expert.

Mr Hootington posted:

It's anti-semetic because a person with a Russian sounding name (bad genocide man) said mean things about a person whose father is Jewish (one drop).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1496568414269288459?s=46&t=SwkrphARZuQ1kPCfPgda3Q

we’re reaching the weird “one year ago today” part of the timeline.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1628926463326973952?s=20

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1626837195850907648?s=20

hmm interesting

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1496568414269288459?s=46&t=SwkrphARZuQ1kPCfPgda3Q

we’re reaching the weird “one year ago today” part of the timeline.

if the US were the ones causing talks to breakdown it'd make sense they knew the time table

i guess Putin was supposed to sulk and then Ukraine would shortly join the EU and later NATO

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

if the US were the ones causing talks to breakdown it'd make sense they knew the time table

i guess Putin was supposed to sulk and then Ukraine would shortly join the EU and later NATO

That’s the case for why Russia decided to invade Ukraine. Tracey is just being a dumbass and saying it is No True Invasion.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sum posted:

The Transnistria stuff is developing into slightly more than a rumor. The Russian MoD is now directly accusing Ukraine of imminently planning to invade:
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1628876984653688834

Meanwhile Zelensky and the National Defense Council "discussed the situation on the Moldovan border," promising to "help friendly neighboring countries.":
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1628882501652430850/photo/1

Personally I think it would be really stupid for Ukraine to risk their entire international reputation for, optimistically, a few months' of ammunition and the opportunity to terrorize a few thousand ethnic Russians. But the fact that it's apparently even being contemplated reeks of desperation.

trying to recover sente in yose by tenkui-ing is such a stupid move, especially when your bakhmut dragon is in a net after your amarigatachi gained you almost nothing in kharkiv

also, they're probably trying to drag other countries and NATO in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

The interplay between Moldova, Poland, Romania and Ukraine is interesting, I don't know how you square it with Ukrainian nationalism. As someone said, the Political Ukrainians in the Transnistria conflict were not on the side you'd expect.

this is like when catholic france was aligned with the protestant forces against the hapsburgs! (i just caught up on hell on earth episodes)