Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And this is why I use MFA and facial recog anywhere I can. Oh and my phone never leaves my line of sight, you’ll need to have me at gunpoint to get access to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Coasterphreak posted:

And this is why I use MFA and facial recog anywhere I can. Oh and my phone never leaves my line of sight, you’ll need to have me at gunpoint to get access to it.

Look if someone wants your dick pics they'll just catfish you instead of making you unlock your phone.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

McNally posted:

Look if someone wants your dick pics they'll just catfish you instead of making you unlock your phone.

I would advise them that even I don’t want to see that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use MFA when I can and back up my important stuff in multiple spots to avoid harm from non-targeted attacks. It just seems pointless to introduce more aggravation in my life when the actual weak link is Karen in HR getting spear phished and sending out a spreadsheet with the whole company’s SSNs.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

McNally posted:

Make your dick pics a hard target. Brought to you by the Ad Council.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

CommieGIR posted:

Its also a good indicator their password system isn't doing proper hashing, which isn't great.

sometimes it's also just olds in positions of power

my (thankfully now fired) micromanager was ADAMANT that our very high security system (a loving vendor support ticket portal) absolutely needed archaic length/one of every character class/password rotation requirements, despite my showing her the modern NSA guidelines that say "don't do any of that except a baseline minimum length check". people learn things, see that other people do them "wrong" per the standards of the time, and then decide to become a lifelong champion of whatever misguided advice they received at age 25 to a fault

similarly, i have had to fend off customer olds demanding that our garbage "use this only if you really can't support a modern authn system" password system support similar requirements

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Coasterphreak posted:

Facial recog isn’t great because the cops can just hold the phone to your face and unlock it.

Alternatively, someone could kill you and hold your phone to your face, but at that point you’ve got other issues than your Twitter account getting jacked.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
all y'all are talking about how two factor text and all that for authentication is bad, but if that's the case then why does the VA use it? :smug:

edit: poo poo, now I get why it's bad, nevermind

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RIP DoD Self Service kitten picture

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

sometimes it's also just olds in positions of power

my (thankfully now fired) micromanager was ADAMANT that our very high security system (a loving vendor support ticket portal) absolutely needed archaic length/one of every character class/password rotation requirements, despite my showing her the modern NSA guidelines that say "don't do any of that except a baseline minimum length check". people learn things, see that other people do them "wrong" per the standards of the time, and then decide to become a lifelong champion of whatever misguided advice they received at age 25 to a fault

similarly, i have had to fend off customer olds demanding that our garbage "use this only if you really can't support a modern authn system" password system support similar requirements

True but I have no faith that its not just a lovely lack of proper hashing, since nearly every incident I found out that usually follows.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/RichardNSpector/status/1628174953265635328
https://twitter.com/Skegsreed/status/1628503869788418051

Actually impressed that one of the cops went for less lethal methods when faced with an angry swordsman. But sadly, all the other cops there were typical coppers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean of all the reasons for a cop to resort to using a firearm, being charged by a domestic abuser waving a sword is a pretty good one.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Coasterphreak posted:

If I remember right in the US biometric unlocking does not require a warrant / court order whereas your pin does.

Edit: And I was beaten.

Is there a way to make your phone require both? I know android at one point could be linked to an NFC token that was awesome. But I don’t think iOS can.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 23, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And it's like a drat near 100% chance it was a sympathic response to gun fire, which is one of the scariest things you need to worry about. It's hard to predict and hard to remedy.

None of this would have happened had the police been honorable and used the blade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/rad_milk/status/1250234307030867969?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
look you have enough officer-involved shootings you're bound to have one that's potentially a justifiable use of force. I'm confident through training and increased funding law enforcement will be able to prevent this from occurring again

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

And it's like a drat near 100% chance it was a sympathic response to gun fire, which is one of the scariest things you need to worry about. It's hard to predict and hard to remedy.

None of this would have happened had the police been honorable and used the blade.

I don't think the cops shot him till he ignored commands and came at them swinging his Hanzo steel

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Nystral posted:

If I remember right in the US biometric unlocking does not require a warrant / court order whereas your pin does.

Edit: And I was beaten.

Is there a way to make your phone require both? I know android at one point could be linked to an NFC token that was awesome. But I don’t think iOS can.

Just scrunch your face up or close one eye, then it requires a passcode. Hell, sometimes I have to use my passcode when I’m half asleep and need to change my alarm. It’s pretty particular.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Holy sudden change to the passive voice.

"A deputy fired a 40mm foam baton launcher and almost simultaneously, a deputy involved shooting occurred."

How does someone write and publish that sentence with a straight face?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

lol at going with a katana over the far superior Ōdachi or wakizashi.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

I don't think the cops shot him till he ignored commands and came at them swinging his Hanzo steel

That's not what it says.
It says Officer Boom Boom shot at the same time as LL.
The way it is very specifically phrased is very telling. Could be wrong.

Note- I'm not saying it was a bad shoot- I'm saying the way they phrased it, it looks incredibly suspect. And the specific word choices lead me to believe they are presuming the shoot is borderline.

I'm probably wrong, just running scenarios from familiar situations. 40mm fires, about a quarter to a half second following the other guy shot, his brain processing the info as "I heard the shot, it's been too long, it's not working, shoot shoot shoot" because his Fight or Flight pegged out. Dollars to Donuts, if there is body cam footage released, there will not be enough time to register the effects of the baton round before dude gets perforated.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

Facial recog isn’t great because the cops can just hold the phone to your face and unlock it.

Alternatively, someone could kill you and hold your phone to your face, but at that point you’ve got other issues than your Twitter account getting jacked.

That's a pessimists look. An optimist would say your problems are over!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's not what it says.
It says Officer Boom Boom shot at the same time as LL.
The way it is very specifically phrased is very telling. Could be wrong.

Note- I'm not saying it was a bad shoot- I'm saying the way they phrased it, it looks incredibly suspect. And the specific word choices lead me to believe they are presuming the shoot is borderline.

I'm probably wrong, just running scenarios from familiar situations. 40mm fires, about a quarter to a half second following the other guy shot, his brain processing the info as "I heard the shot, it's been too long, it's not working, shoot shoot shoot" because his Fight or Flight pegged out. Dollars to Donuts, if there is body cam footage released, there will not be enough time to register the effects of the baton round before dude gets perforated.

Oh yeah absolutely not, the shots will likely be instantaneous once they come, especially if the deputies were side by side and got rushed, I'm sorry if you are coming at me with a nearly 3 foot long sharpened blade and a will to use it, and I've got no way out/back against house or fence, I'm going to loving shoot you.

LL dude used what he had, officer mcshooty plugged him with his sidearm.

I'm just not about to try to go hand to hand with someone who has a loving sword, not paid for that poo poo.

Cops should be rightfully dragged for their over reliance on their firearms, but depending on circumstances this shot possibly was excusable based on threat to life and limb of the officer.

That said, taser probably would have dropped the dude too, but I understand the thinking of mcshooty going for something that is tried and true and will stop a threat vs "maybe the taser doesn't penetrate his clothes or doesn't contact skin or maybe one prong misses and suddenly I have someone with sharp steel in arms reach"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 24, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Have we talked about how Jared and Ivanka are getting an invitation to Atlanta to testify against :smugdon:?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have we talked about how Jared and Ivanka are getting an invitation to Atlanta to testify against :smugdon:?

No we have not, will they take it though? What are they using to sweeten the pot? Immunity to prosecution for their roles if it's a criminal trial?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A whole bunch of "I have no recollection of that event"?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm harsh, but I am not trying to drag the officer if my scenario is correct. That is a cascade of failures in tactics, training, planning, and control. None of which would change the fact that yeah, it's not my fault Punchy never finished The Last Samurai.

It's one of those things where it's just a poo poo hand played out.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

BadOptics posted:

lol at going with a katana over the far superior Ōdachi or wakizashi.

It better have been a nihonto and not some cheap chinese forged junk. :colbert:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Coasterphreak posted:

more bad news about facial recognition

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

So, uh, Scott Adams continues to be Scott Adams, unfortunately.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dilbert-cartoonist-scott-adams-tells-white-people-to-get-the-gently caress-away-from-black-people

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

If businesses were smart they'd use Scott Adams as an unanswerable argument against work from home. Because he's gone absolutely batshit since he quit his day job to draw cartoons full time.

Seriously, would you rather have to work in an office or risk turning into what Scott Adams is now only poor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If businesses were smart they'd use Scott Adams as an unanswerable argument against work from home. Because he's gone absolutely batshit since he quit his day job to draw cartoons full time.

Seriously, would you rather have to work in an office or risk turning into what Scott Adams is now only poor?

Scott Adams is a product of working in an office. It's literally what the comic is about

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Who he is has nothing to do with working from home or working in an office. He is a product of indulging his own worst impulses for decades.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

Correction- this is Jack Smith and January 6th related.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

nature hates nz

we just got another foot of rain in the space of about three hours

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hows that global warming working out for you :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

hows that global warming working out for you :smug:

Oof, probably bad timing. I actually was gonna suggest that maybe now the rich will realize what global warming means instead of fantasizing about their SEAL guarded bunkers and decide to address the issue like human adults but that might be the dumbest thing I ever typed.

How's the death toll looking for that town that was cut off?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

11 confirmed deaths, still in the hundreds of people uncontactable.

Also the entirety of the far north is cut off this morning.

That is, everything north of this line:

Which includes one major city, and multiple large towns.

Oh, and that rain band that did that? It's now hitting the area that took the worst of it last week.

Happy Saturday, everyone.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We have any Tennessee goons in the house?

I just came across this article: https://newrepublic.com/post/170759/tennessee-becomes-first-state-pass-ban-drag-shows

When I try to dig in further I only get sources like Entertainment Weekly and the like. When they link to an AP article, the article is missing. I would have imagined that this news would be bigger, or is the bill so poorly written everyone thinks it will just fall apart?

What am I missing? How is this being received in Tennessee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

We have any Tennessee goons in the house?

I just came across this article: https://newrepublic.com/post/170759/tennessee-becomes-first-state-pass-ban-drag-shows

When I try to dig in further I only get sources like Entertainment Weekly and the like. When they link to an AP article, the article is missing. I would have imagined that this news would be bigger, or is the bill so poorly written everyone thinks it will just fall apart?

What am I missing? How is this being received in Tennessee?

For the full review of what's going on about that bill, though from a non-Tennessee perspective, Chris Geidner is my guy:

https://www.lawdork.com/p/tennessee-minors-trans-care-drag-bans

The tl;dr is:

quote:

Regardless of that limit, S.B. 3 remains a bill that would criminalize covered drag and possibly trans performances on all public property and wherever the performance could be viewed by a minor.

This would ban covered drag shows on public university campuses, for example. It also, as discussed in public debate, could criminalize covered drag performances in pride parades given that minors could theoretically see performers on parade floats.

Any such law also could be used more aggressively to try to shut down and prosecute performances far outside of those that I believe would be covered by the language of the bill. Even further, the law’s existence and the possibility of such overreach almost certainly would have a chilling effect on performers and those who would host them.

Constitutional challenges — strong ones — will almost certainly follow should this bill become law. Even if they succeed, however, the time and money spent fighting them, not to mention the law’s ripple effects, would be significant.