Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just to check, are you hoping to make money as a musician?

https://youtu.be/NIgfiSzCy1o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Problem #1 is that I’d want to bring a serious project to them (e: and understand what I want to make), so that’ll need to be done first. Problem #2 is oh god people.

Maybe that’s my motivation to finish those drat projects. Would be an interesting gimmick for a double album, a before/after :v:

I think you're setting arbitrary barriers for yourself that aren't conducive to growth. having ambition and high standards is admirable, but a good instructor or coach will be able to meet you at any stage of a project. you don't need to be "ready"

I'll also plug this lovely quote from Ira Glass

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Okay, good.

webcams for christ posted:

I think you're setting arbitrary barriers for yourself that aren't conducive to growth. having ambition and high standards is admirable, but a good instructor or coach will be able to meet you at any stage of a project. you don't need to be "ready"

Yeah, I'll second this analysis. Your primary job right now is to do it, not to worry about doing it well. Skill will come with practice. Sure, there's things that you could do to make your practice more effective, but because you're fixated on optimizing your practice, you're not actually practicing. Make musical shitposts. Turn some dumb copypasta into a song with autotuning and instrumentation. Make the Jurassic Park theme with kazoos (sure, it's been done, but it bears doing again).

I think there's a strong argument to be made here that the best use of your $200 is whatever recreational drugs that might help you just get in there and start making some noise. Or if that isn't the kind of thing you're interested in, then use the $200 to buy yourself some non-music-related reward that you're only allowed to have once you've accomplished a music-related goal.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

I'll also plug this lovely quote from Ira Glass

I like this a lot.

I only do music as a hobby after switching majors to computer touching. And my stuff sucks. Like, really: it's bad and dumb. But it makes people laugh! I found a shortcut to getting a sense of satisfaction and all I had to do was completely compromise my artistic vision! But it's okay, it's just a hobby.

This absolutely describes my professional successes, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I only do music as a hobby after switching majors to computer touching. And my stuff sucks. Like, really: it's bad and dumb. But it makes people laugh! I found a shortcut to getting a sense of satisfaction and all I had to do was completely compromise my artistic vision! But it's okay, it's just a hobby.

People need to stop thinking that art is only the highly-polished "professional" stuff. Seriously, this is one of the biggest problems with how culture is presented these days. You are making art! It's legit! It doesn't have to be designed for mass appeal, or to hit some kind of arbitrary quality threshold, to be art. It's OK to be the modern equivalent of a peasant with a flute, playing for friends and family at a small gathering.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

People need to stop thinking that art is only the highly-polished "professional" stuff. Seriously, this is one of the biggest problems with how culture is presented these days. You are making art! It's legit! It doesn't have to be designed for mass appeal, or to hit some kind of arbitrary quality threshold, to be art. It's OK to be the modern equivalent of a peasant with a flute, playing for friends and family at a small gathering.

I'm a full time union musician and most of the stuff I perform is pretty good, but lemme tell you quite a few of the performances in my career have objectively sucked! and I'm always blown away and kinda jealous of non-pros who perform/produce wonderful stuff without degrading themselves by getting involved in the industry

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 23, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:agreed:

It's sad what the phonograph did to the notion that singing is something ordinary people do.

At the end of the day, if I made two people smile with my dumb song about dog food, that's still entertainment.

e: I guess my biggest problem is that I adore well-produced music, LOL.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 23, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

It's sad what the phonograph did to the notion that singing is something ordinary people do.

At the end of the day, if I made two people smile with my dumb song about dog food, that's still entertainment.

:emptyquote:

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Just to check, are you hoping to make money as a musician?

After quoting, I saw Pollyanna's response to this, which was the proper response.

Technology has made music making affordable for almost everyone. There's more people writing and recording music now than ever. All the financial entry barriers to recording that existed are gone. At the same time, it's almost impossible to make money creating music. I read a quote here that really struck a chord. I don't remember the exact quote, but the gist was this: Somewhere, someone is working on a song that means a lot to them. They find time to write, record and produce a completely new song that has never existed before. In almost every case, the only reward this person will ever receive for all his creativity, sweat and hard work is a note from a stranger on the internet that says "I liked this".

It is a pretty cool feeling when someone listens to something I did. I also told my wife that if I can make enough money from the record I'm working on to buy us lunch, I will have wildly exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for listening to my lousy TED talk on modern music making.

EDIT: Pollyanna, stop getting in your own way and just MAKE SOMETHING

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 23, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Getting a bit off topic, but yeah, if you wanna make money performing music, you either need to invest in industry friends, literally and metaphorically prostitute yourself or just play covers at boomer events. None of these will satisfy your desires.

I do second getting a class or two. Don't worry about having stuff ready, just tell the guy what you're doing and see where it goes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well poo poo. Maybe I should stop being a hermit and actually go to a jam or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JeffLeonard posted:

Pollyanna, stop getting in your own way and just MAKE SOMETHING

zzzzzzactly

Yeah I figured that there wasn’t a whole lot that money can buy at this point. My blockers are internal, which is why I emphasized process and the act of making so much.

Maybe I’ll spend that money on therapy.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I make plenty of money as a musician* :colbert:

*may require a shitload of non-musical responsibilities

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e: I regret this post. I am going to turn the monitor off until the my liver is done with the maragarita.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
why is most home theater stuff 50 watts rms thesedays? 18 years ago 100 was the norm. i like the tech beyond homepods but the things sound like music down a tube, the user is limited to 2 speakers max, and no fuckin battery. maybe a home theater reciever could do most of what a homepod could, but the vast majority are limited to 50 watts. no balls at all. living in fuckin hell over here

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Hawkperson posted:

I make plenty of money as a musician* :colbert:

*may require a shitload of non-musical responsibilities

*may require hiring someone

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

People need to stop thinking that art is only the highly-polished "professional" stuff. Seriously, this is one of the biggest problems with how culture is presented these days.

Starting to notice a backlash against this. Best example I know is 100 gecs, they do all kinds of stuff "wrong" like deliberately clipping digital signals and writing ska songs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like to think that there is no wrong.

Any tips on getting ideas out of your head? If I listen to music for a while, it’ll eventually “stick” and I’ll be primed to mentally percolate some similar tunes. But I find it weirdly hard to put pen to paper, and when it does make it into reality it doesn’t sound quite right. Voice memos on my phone aren’t quite enough, and also it’s a pain in the rear end anyway.

I wonder if one problem is having to do the mental math ahead of time to program it into a DAW instead of deriving the notation from a recording. I can plonk a piano easily enough, maybe I could split the work up. Could also just use a DAW, controller, and instrument library that’s streamlined for record a bunch of loops and snippets as a rough sketch.

Workflow’s a good thing to work on for sure.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you have emotional or mental blockers, then yeah therapy is always good, I can vouch for it myself.

I also suggest that if you make music a specific way (synths, guitar, whatever) that you can really broaden your mind and approach by learning even the basics of another instrument unrelated to your usual. Play guitar, learn keyboard, play synths, learn a kimba. Whatever it is it'll require a different approach and even if you don't intend to master it the lessons learned will transfer to your main thing.

Learn all the instruments feasible basically. Even if you self teach, that's great. You don't need to become a virtuoso, you just need to open the ability to see and interpret ideas.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

oh ok, here is an attempt at my newest song. Its Dad Rock Show!

i think well the vocals have a varying amount of volume and im not sure how to make that all consistent. Soudtrap does have some automation but i have not really messed with it. Its got more reverb in it that i really like but i still feel my voice is "out of sorts" with the music, but i may just being overly critical .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXPKv2CSzVo

if you feel the desire to make a free soundtrap account I can add you as a collaborator and you can see the EQ settings and stuff

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Beer_Suitcase posted:

i think well the vocals have a varying amount of volume and im not sure how to make that all consistent.
Volume automation and compression.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Its got more reverb in it that i really like but i still feel my voice is "out of sorts" with the music, but i may just being overly critical .
Firstly, the vocals are way too high in the mix. This is a cover with the vocals removed, right? Do some a/b listening with the original and try to match the levels.

On reverb, if anything they're way too dry. It sounds like it was recorded in a completely separate environment, this is something that reverb can help with. If you think about the sounds in the room around you, they sound like they're all in the same place because they all have exactly the same "reverb settings" applied to them.

I think the main reason it sounds "out of sorts" is because there's a real midrange hump to the sound - there's very little low-end in the vocals and it doesn't match the character of the rest of the sounds that are present.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

So i did find an EQ in Soundtrap, that along with the compressor and just turning lots of stuff down i think this 2nd run sounds better to me.. The harmony vocals were an after thought so i will have to re-do them... and the song just kinds of ends but thats ok

This one the vocals sound better enmeshed with the music.

edit: this is the final version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoOvnuXDlvo

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think that's quite good actually!

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I am recording something with tremolo picking (:rock:) and I feel like I'm going crazy because everything I record has a sort of high pitched quack sound on it. Example below, it's easy enough to hear.

I have tried different guitars, different picks and different VSTs and nothing seems to fix it. It sounds like some sort of harmonic resonance. Is this a technique issue? I have tried deeper and super shallow picking to no avail. Picking in different spots on the string changes the pitch of the quack but doesn't make it go away. I can't seem to EQ it out either because the sound changes depending on what note is being fretted and where on the string I'm picking so it's a moving target. Help!

Demo of stupid sound that's driving me crazy:

https://soundcloud.com/tom-w-dillin...=social_sharing

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I am recording something with tremolo picking (:rock:) and I feel like I'm going crazy because everything I record has a sort of high pitched quack sound on it. Example below, it's easy enough to hear.

I have tried different guitars, different picks and different VSTs and nothing seems to fix it. It sounds like some sort of harmonic resonance. Is this a technique issue? I have tried deeper and super shallow picking to no avail. Picking in different spots on the string changes the pitch of the quack but doesn't make it go away. I can't seem to EQ it out either because the sound changes depending on what note is being fretted and where on the string I'm picking so it's a moving target. Help!

Demo of stupid sound that's driving me crazy:

https://soundcloud.com/tom-w-dillin...=social_sharing

i suspect sympathetic vibrations from the other strings on your guitar. if that's what it is, try muting the other strings either thru technique or by tying a sock to the guitar's neck by the nut.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Have you tried a different pick?

It sounds sorta like if I’m using a super stiff Jazz 3 that’s plastic has worn slightly unevenly. The edge of the pick will catch on the string and give a pinging noise that’s most audible during fast alternate picking.

Even though it’s less comfortable, normal medium picks seem to minimize the noise in my case, and Gravity picks, despite being expensive as hell, seem to last forever and don’t wear in a terribly bad way.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm using a dunlop flow which is sort of jazz 3 shaped. Have tried some tortex picks but hearing a similar sound no matter what pick.

Have ruled out sympathetic vibrations with a fret wrap.

Stumped!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Not helpful but it sounds fuckin cool, like new-agey ambient shoegaze type stuff

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awCwms7Kqw8

Are you using the same input every time? Do you have any other options? Or like an amp to test on?

My other wild card was like sympathetic vibrations from either trem springs or like the string behind the bridge w/ TOMs.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm using a dunlop flow which is sort of jazz 3 shaped. Have tried some tortex picks but hearing a similar sound no matter what pick.

Have ruled out sympathetic vibrations with a fret wrap.

Stumped!

If you touch your pick lightly to the string at the point where you'd normally be picking it, does it make a sound close to the problem frequency?

It sounds like it might almost be an unintentional pinch harmonic kind of thing. Does varying your picking angle help/change the situation at all? The string might be catching just a little on the pick before you 'pick' it properly I guess.

e: If you really can't figure it out, you might try flatwounds. Extreme solution though.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

FFS this information just isn't sticking in my head. Please help me out here.

So everything I've read says it's important to select an amplifier with a continuous power rating of double that of the speaker cabinet it's attached to. For example for a 200w amplifier it's recommended to have 100w rated speakers @8 ohms nominal impedance. The reason this ratio is important is because the excess power of the amp is kept in reserve in order to properly deal with the speakers peaks and transients which affects clipping and distortion.

I want to use 2x cabinets instead on 1x though. My amp is rated as 200 watts with 1x cab, and when split between 2x outputs/cabs each channel receives up to 100 watts instead (so using 2x 8ohm cabs would equal a total 4 ohm load @100 watts each channel)

So when I'm considering running two cabinets, in order to maintain that 2:1 ratio of amp/reserve power to speaker wattage, I should be aiming for each channel to power a 50 watt cabinet (leaving me 50w for reserve power), correct?
Also I've read that too little or too much power can damage the speakers. In the search for speakers then, if given the above amp, should I look for specifically 50w ones, lesser than or equal to 50w, or greater than or equal to 50w? When is there considered too little or too much power? What's the wattage range to keep in mind?

I've gotten the desire to pair a 1x12 with a 2x12 and I don't want to gently caress I up my search or make the wrong purchase what with money being so tight lately. This would really help me dial in the search parameters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is a dumb question but :

I know there's not really a way to get better at playing by ear except doing it a lot, but is there a good way to confirm whether or not I'm correct as I'm going? So far my only ways of getting negative feedback (i.e. "no, that's wrong") is to either find someone else to tell me it sounds wrong or waiting until I get better and I can tell myself (by which point, I've probably been spending a lot of wasted effort on a poor foundation).

I'm figuring there's something for this, but I have no idea what it would be.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Record yourself and compare to the original?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there's also, uh, the tuner and metronome combo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How would you finger the left hand in this sequence?

Not shown, because it's on the next row of the page, is that the immediate next note is a G1/G2 octave chord. So far the best I've come up with for the second phrase is 5-2-1-2-3-5, but landing that last note is really tricky. I'm not used to doing blind jumps that land on my pinky.

The piece in question is an arrangement of the "Port" theme from Terranigma. The spot I'm asking about occurs at 0:53. If you click through the video, there's a link to the sheet music in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBnAry5E5c

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

How would you finger the left hand in this sequence?

Not shown, because it's on the next row of the page, is that the immediate next note is a G1/G2 octave chord. So far the best I've come up with for the second phrase is 5-2-1-2-3-5, but landing that last note is really tricky. I'm not used to doing blind jumps that land on my pinky.

The piece in question is an arrangement of the "Port" theme from Terranigma. The spot I'm asking about occurs at 0:53. If you click through the video, there's a link to the sheet music in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBnAry5E5c

532121 532124

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jazz Marimba posted:

532121 532124

Thanks! That's definitely better than what I came up with on my own.

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
Hope this is the right place to post, just have a quick question. Is it really true that in the past couple of years Avid ProTools has killed all perpetual licensing, and is now 100% subscription-based?
:capitalism:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

stephen_falken posted:

Hope this is the right place to post, just have a quick question. Is it really true that in the past couple of years Avid ProTools has killed all perpetual licensing, and is now 100% subscription-based?
:capitalism:

correct

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-Licensing-FAQ

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost

That's what I was afraid of. Well I don't know about you, but I think that sucks balls. I actually bought physical copies of that damned software on disk with a perpetual license back in 2013, which got lost in the mail. USPS tracking said "delivered", and of course nothing came of my reporting it to them. So I was out $535 and that was that. Now I was thinking maybe my karma was different, but nope. Oh well, I'll just stick with what I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stephen_falken posted:

Well I don't know about you, but I think that sucks balls.

It's probably safe to assume that any random person thinks leasing something in perpetuity sucks balls compared to owning something.

And buddy, have I got good news for you about what General Motors is planning. Where "good" here means "terrible".