Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Any name ideas, or are you going to wait to see what they're like personality-wise first?

Also, will you be getting males or females?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Any name ideas, or are you going to wait to see what they're like personality-wise first?

Also, will you be getting males or females?

It's gonna be boys.

No name ideas yet, I often name my rattos after their looks or personality trait.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-14/rats-bop-to-the-beat-like-humans-study-says/101649744

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

That's p cool.

I remember reading a study that offered rats a choice between silence and music, and the experiment was tried with various kinds of music. In every case but one the rats would choose silence - the only exception being if they'd been given drugs and played jazz in the past, they'd come to associate jazz with good times so would choose that over silence (and this was only the case with jazz, not other musical styles). The study concluded that rats just don't enjoy human music.

But I guess, like with many things, it's more complicated than that.

e: Do you have your new boys yet? How are they doing?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

e: Do you have your new boys yet? How are they doing?

Not yet, I'm picking them up sometime at the end of the month.

These are some babies from the same litter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

These are the boys I'm picking up at the end of the month.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I love the blanket as photography backdrop.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boop the snoot.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/bedupolker/status/1607464936716005377/photo/1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caramel and Chocolate.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
She is vast.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

wanna scritch that rump

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lorge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This is what I wake up to. All the kids, old and young, rush to the entrance to beg for treats/pats.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They look like they're about to break into a barbershop quartet style song.

Treeeaats
.......Treaaaaats
................Treeeeeaaatttts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/uZeIyHT8Idw

https://youtu.be/8uylV13z71g

I'd like to watch this documentary but it looks like it's not available outside of Canada, unfortunately.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

https://youtu.be/uZeIyHT8Idw

https://youtu.be/8uylV13z71g

I'd like to watch this documentary but it looks like it's not available outside of Canada, unfortunately.

CBC, generally and in this case, works fine with a VPN connection if you happen to have access to one. I checked it out here. Will watch it, maybe try to record it for later watching.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

CBC, generally and in this case, works fine with a VPN connection if you happen to have access to one. I checked it out here. Will watch it, maybe try to record it for later watching.

Yeah, I managed to acquire it.
Haven't watched it yet but I skimmed through it quickly and there's a lot of cute shots of allegedly wild rats (many of the are a little too well groomer and a little too fat to be wild.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The documentary was alright. Very surface level information but lots of cute rat shots.
Tons of non-dietetic rat sounds were driving me nuts though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
dinner time

https://i.imgur.com/JU0IZUv.mp4

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They went to the vet and they were sad and mad and scared about it.

One needed some blue food coloring on her head so we could tell them apart, but it should've been obvious from the weight. She's a pound and a half. lmao

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

A while ago on a whim I bought a cat toy at the pet store. Here's a video of my girls encountering it for the first time. Spoiler: They were way more into it than I'd expected.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Falstaff posted:

A while ago on a whim I bought a cat toy at the pet store. Here's a video of my girls encountering it for the first time. Spoiler: They were way more into it than I'd expected.

three cats

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

This is amazing. I'm getting some for my gals

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Stole this from the #blessed pics thread:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qusjg9Q8Lm1zonidg.mp4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my babies sleeping between two pensioners.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Awwwwwwwww

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Omar celebrating his third birthday (3rd plus a month or two)

Not sure how much he's got left, as he's about 80% hind legged and starting to sundown pretty hard, but when he's here he's a happy motherfucker that loves him some pizza crust

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Omar celebrating his third birthday (3rd plus a month or two)

Not sure how much he's got left, as he's about 80% hind legged and starting to sundown pretty hard, but when he's here he's a happy motherfucker that loves him some pizza crust

Awe, sweet old man. You get that pizza, king.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I love Omar. Thank you for sharing his birthday with us.

I assume he got the rest of the pizza too and he's just polishing it off.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Scholtz posted:

I love Omar. Thank you for sharing his birthday with us.

I assume he got the rest of the pizza too and he's just polishing it off.

He got crust + a little bit of the sauce and cheese, and he also got a chunk of a payday (carmel and peanuts)

We've started wetting his food, so he's put on a little weight in the 3 days since that picture, but he is still a shrinking old man tots adorbs.

We grabbed some baby rattos today as well, they're in quarintine currently

Here's Laszlo:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
hi laszlo!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can take the rat out of the sewer but you can't take the sewer out of the rat.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The best part is knowing that rat almost certainly has several hammocks/sputniks or other hidey-holes to sleep in :shrek:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scholtz posted:

The best part is knowing that rat almost certainly has several hammocks/sputniks or other hidey-holes to sleep in :shrek:

According to my rats, the hammocks and spuntiks are better used as storage for uneaten treats and/or an unholy amount of piss.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Omar has suffled along.

Should I meet God upon my own dying, I will hold him to account for permitting Dick Cheney to stride this earth yet take Omar from us.

May he ride eternal in rathalla

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm sure he gets to nibble on the great yogie in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

3 is a good age for a rat, and it seems as though Omar had no shortage of delightful delicacies.