Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I made spaghetti all'assassina because the dish I was planning to make needs lamb and that's not in until Tuesday, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

korean fried chicken.
a bit pricey, but oh so good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
poo poo, I forgot I bought a pound of ground beef 2 days ago. I have to use that ASAP. Might be tacos tonight.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pennywise the Frown posted:

poo poo, I forgot I bought a pound of ground beef 2 days ago. I have to use that ASAP. Might be tacos tonight.

A hot dog is a taco as well. Embrace your destiny

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mordja posted:

I made spaghetti all'assassina because the dish I was planning to make needs lamb and that's not in until Tuesday, apparently.

How was it? I watched that food wishes episode and it looks amazing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wendigee posted:

I grew up using frozen bread constantly.. my parents would just toss the bag of bread or buns in the freezer... keeps fine even in the thin plastic bag it comes in so long as you use it in a week... might want a real freezer bag if you were going to keep it longer than that but i think we had some that was 2 weeks old and it was never a real issue. especially if you plan to toast it
Bread will last way, way longer than a week in the freezer. Depending on the climate, it'll probably last a week just in a cupboard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Combo posted:

How was it? I watched that food wishes episode and it looks amazing.

Good! Leaves the pasta with an interesting, chewy texture but still fully cooked. I only had crused tomatoes instead of pureed so I think it might have turned out a little thicker?

But yeah the food wishes guy has been a godsend; just about everything tastes really good while not being as complicated or needing as many specific ingredients as a lot of the recipes on SE for example.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mordja posted:

Good! Leaves the pasta with an interesting, chewy texture but still fully cooked. I only had crused tomatoes instead of pureed so I think it might have turned out a little thicker?

But yeah the food wishes guy has been a godsend; just about everything tastes really good while not being as complicated or needing as many specific ingredients as a lot of the recipes on SE for example.

Yeah, his recipes are very approachable and everything I've made has been rock solid. I had a hard time watching him at first because of his weird cadence but now I'm used to it. It's funny how it's become his thing over the years and gets more pronounced as time goes on. Watching a video of his from 10-12 years ago is completely different.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I bought this book for my sister a few years ago (because she hates to cook). Unfortunately she hates to cook so much that she's only made one thing from it in that time. The fact that the instructions are all in American may have been a factor. But today I made the "Pedro's Special":

I had to make some approximations, substitutions and guesses for the American ingredients and it ended up needing more salt. I made a sauce instead of buying a can (or, more likely, jar, because I don't think they sell cans of sauce here?) and I had put some salt in that, but I should have put more. I think I overestimated how much salt the corn chips would add. I was also a bit worried about the amount of liquid included with the beans, but I trusted the recipe and it worked.

I rate it 3/5. I would eat it if someone else cooked it, but I won't ever make it again.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I ate one of my usual thin crust pies with sausage, onions, peppers, ham, mushrooms, and olives. Felt too lazy to cook dinner, and had enough left over for a late night snack too.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

\I bought this book for my sister a few years ago (because she hates to cook). Unfortunately she hates to cook so much that she's only made one thing from it in that time. The fact that the instructions are all in American may have been a factor. But today I made the "Pedro's Special":

I had to make some approximations, substitutions and guesses for the American ingredients \

What of this would even constitute an American ingredient? :nallears: The ostensible American-ness of it all doesn't really seem like that much of an obstacle tbh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

What of this would even constitute an American ingredient? :nallears: The ostensible American-ness of it all doesn't really seem like that much of an obstacle tbh

Pounds, ounces, etc. need converting. Not sure what "round steak" is, but I just used lean minced beef. The aforementioned sauce. I'm told that "chili powder" means some kind of spice blend in America, whereas in Australia it means dried, powdered chillies. No idea what actual size a "medium-sized" bag of corn chips is.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Pounds, ounces, etc. need converting. Not sure what "round steak" is, but I just used lean minced beef. The aforementioned sauce. I'm told that "chili powder" means some kind of spice blend in America, whereas in Australia it means dried, powdered chillies. No idea what actual size a "medium-sized" bag of corn chips is.

Round steak comes from the 'round' of the cow AKA the rump. Chili seasoning is a blend of spices but chili powder sounds like it means the same thing. For the corn chips I would say the medium bag would be larger than an individual sized bag and smaller than a family sized bag- so probably the typical bag that would be sold.

Life is easier when you memorize metric/Imperial conversions imo. I was raised on metric but growing older I very much understand the vibes-based appeal of some of the english units

Agreed the format of that recipe is less than ideal but it's good that the weighed ingredients are things that are sold by weight and don't require busting out a scale.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

Chili seasoning is a blend of spices but chili powder sounds like it means the same thing.
Just going by what I've previously been told. :shrug:

Discord posted:

[05:22] NeilTheChiseler: Crankshaft
[05:30] Kage (She/Her): Garlic is wild, but the others in a dark chocolate cookie? Hells yeh

[14:01] Tiggum: Jalapenos and chilli powder seems redundant.

[00:34] Mercury Hat: not sure how it is where you are, but in america chili powder can also refer to a pre-made blend of spices and salt which can include cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, maybe garlic powder, that kinda thing

[00:36] Kage (She/Her): in the UK it's dried and ground up chili's

[00:37] Mercury Hat: yeah america's the odd one out here
    in my experience if a recipe's calling for a ground up chili, it'll ask for cayenne pepper
[00:38] Mercury Hat: or specify another pepper like ancho chili or gochugaru or w/e

[00:38] Squizzle: american english tends to use “peppers” as the generic instead of “chilis” and more often tends to name specific cultivars (jalapeño, habanero, etc)

[00:39] Mercury Hat: "chili powder" in this case is meant to invoke the idea of chili the dish

[00:39] Squizzle: the british palate is garbage and cant distinguish between specific types of pepper, so they just say “chilis”

[00:39] Mercury Hat: yeah, though it might depend on who you talk to, we might say "chili pepper" if we're talking about hot varieties

[00:40] Mercury Hat: british english might also be making a distinction between black pepper and the chili peppers which are two different plants

[00:41] Squizzle: theyre making a distinction between flavor and their native cuisine

[00:41] Kage (She/Her): yeah, all chili's taste the same, with the only variation being heat.
    But "Pepper", in a recipe, will be black or white pepper
[00:42] Mercury Hat: so anyway the joke is she put a bunch of spices and herbs into a cookie because her character trait is Bad Cook

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just checked because I thought that was BS but stuff like McCormick which is the first thing you'll find on your grocery store shelf is mostly chilis but also "spices" and garlic and maltodextrin or something.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

chili powder is definitely a thing kind of like tex mex. it comes in like a foil packet typically.

its just powder chili and onion and garlic for the most part, anti caking agents, etc. theirs definitely knock off recipes online if you want to try it

you can also just get chili powder straight up here you visit the spice rack in your store

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah premixed chili powder in the US is some combination of ground peppers, cumin, garlic, onion, and oregano, maybe some paprika or coriander thrown in depending on brand.

Or just make your own. I like this mix a lot (I usually double the cayenne or mix in some hot paprika with the sweet).

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/homemade-chili-powder/

Picture so you don’t have to deal with recipe site BS

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I've only ever seen dried chilis labelled as chili powder and this supposedly ubiquitous chili powder mix labelled as chili seasoning :shrug:

Tbf in the supermarket it is usually a Club House or Old El Paso packet that just says CHILI on it, next to the ones that say ENCHILADA and TACO but that doesn't make it chili powder any more than those others are enchilada powder or taco powder.

I don't know why the purveyors would deliberately confuse consumers by calling such functionally different items by the same name. Chili powder can be used in a number of dishes in different ways- chili seasoning will make your food taste like a bowl of chili. The people have a right to know!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t know where you live but where I live “chili powder” is not just ground chilis, the regular spice brands e.g. McCormick, Morton & Basset, etc, list other ingredients such as paprika, garlic, salt and other spices.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I had a cubano from a new little restaurant/cocktail place on my block.

9.5/10 on the sandwich. Side salad was tasty too. Local pilsner to wash it down.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Mushroom saute with herbs, spices, and butter over whole wheat toast.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess the equivalent to Australian chili powder would just be cayenne pepper?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
last night I nuked some leftover pad Thai from takeout and it smelled exactly like tuna noodle casserole, i assume because of the fish sauce

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
TJoes frozen chow mein with a dressed up sauce and added more broc

topped with copious amounts of sriracha

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Todays dinner, ground beef patties with feta cheese, basic meat & potatoes fare.

Also semlor, traditional to make them this time of year both in Sweden and Finland:

The scooped out innards are mixed with melted butter, chopped almonds, sugar and eggs and cooked on low heat, then returned back to the buns:

Then spritz some whipped cream and put the lid back on

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Gonna make this meatball recipe cause I’m impressed with this brand

https://mightysparkfood.com/blogs/recipes/marry-me-chicken-meatballs

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
sandwich, grilled chicken breast + grilled onions + Swiss cheese + mayo + Caesar dressing, on toasted Hearty White

baked potato on the side

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Peasant food. Cabbage, taters, carrots, with smoked sausage. Doesn't look pretty, but cheap, quick, and filling. Under half hour total using an instapot

Edit: served with stone ground mustard

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Made chicken picatta and homemade pistachio-mint pesto

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Todays dinner, ground beef patties with feta cheese, basic meat & potatoes fare.

Also semlor, traditional to make them this time of year both in Sweden and Finland:

The scooped out innards are mixed with melted butter, chopped almonds, sugar and eggs and cooked on low heat, then returned back to the buns:

Then spritz some whipped cream and put the lid back on

Yeah we had semlor on Tuesday. Best dessert imo

We do the hot cardamom milk on top thing in our family

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tried my hand at making butter chicken for the first time and it came out great! Basmati rice with a bit of saffron and naan for sides.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Tried my hand at making butter chicken for the first time and it came out great! Basmati rice with a bit of saffron and naan for sides.

It really is easy to make, it just needs good quality ingredients and a little care during cooking. Though I usually just order out to get it myself, since my go-to restaurant does it much better, even if it is a bit expensive.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Made some meatballs

Added onion, garlic, olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, basil

Some cream, chicken broth, spinach and meatballs

Simmer a bit

Serve over angelhair

Sorry for terrible pics

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

some buffalo wings.

its from a halal place, and man, it tastes a lot much better than the regular chicken wing places

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fried chicken thigh, garlic mashed, sautéed green beans

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Wife is goin out so beer and frozen pizza

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
some good food up there. those meatballs were 🤌🤌🤌

spouse is making shrimp wontons and fried rice. i might remember to take a picture before I eat everything.

last night was a psuedo chilaquiles psuedo 7 layer dip casserole thing i totally winged. it was ugly but good. unlike me. beautiful and pure evil.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Meatloaf, yes I like peas and such in my meatloaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

wagyu burgers with havarti and onions that were more dehydrated than caramelized, sweet potato fries. whenever i make sweet potato fries i remember I'd rather have fries so tonight was

fish and chips. sweet potatoes are just much meaner to a V slicer.