Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1627881912458182656

did they film this in technicolor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vandar posted:

RAVENLOFT MOVIE WHEN?

Isn't that just that Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

Just give me a brand new 80's style sword and sandals movie, that's all I want

Why bother when pure cinematic perfection was already achieved almost 40 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLsIQ-6rGU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Multiple planes made into Dungeons and Dragons movies? This is how you get connected universes and multiverses. Do you want more connected universes and multiverses?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

weekly font posted:

Multiple planes made into Dungeons and Dragons movies? This is how you get connected universes and multiverses. Do you want more connected universes and multiverses?

A second plane has hit the South Dungeon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looks like that Rem Lazar remaster blu ray.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s pretty clearly someone filming a tv just based on the audio quality alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t get why Levi doesn’t act like the kid in the movie

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Neo Rasa posted:

Why bother when pure cinematic perfection was already achieved almost 40 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLsIQ-6rGU

Were there two sets of bodybuilding twins in the late 80s/early 90s? I seem to remember a blonde due in a terrible action movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were there two sets of bodybuilding twins in the late 80s/early 90s? I seem to remember a blonde due in a terrible action movie.

Those same dudes were in several action movies, like the 1992 masterpiece Double Trouble. I can’t find a trailer for some reason, but the entire movie is up on YouTube. Not sure if it’s allowed to link it though.

They’re legitimately fun movies though. They’re very clearly having fun making them and they’re not taking it seriously at all, and it’s as if someone cloned Chris Farley and forced them both to become very dumb SoCal bodybuilders. Each take it seems like they’re both right on the edge of breaking and laughing. Their hair, their mannerisms, the way they keep putting these enormous dudes in ridiculous 90s suits and fashion, something about it is just inherently funny.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Double Trouble is the one I was thinking of but I remembered them having blonde hair for some reason. Also, what the gently caress is that cast?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best part is James Doohan showing up for like one scene as a character named Miles O’Brien

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Double Trouble is the one I was thinking of but I remembered them having blonde hair for some reason. Also, what the gently caress is that cast?

There’s the Twin Dragons, Canada’s most famous karate-using identical twins who have been featured on Red Letter Media’s Best of the Worst a few times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gibnaf?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That mine throw is sublime. :allears:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

finnish inglorious bastards + john wick? I'm in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CelticPredator posted:

I just don’t get why Levi doesn’t act like the kid in the movie

When he transforms into Shazam he gets the “Wisdom of Solomon”. That said he does still act immature because he’s actually a kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He acts like a kid but not THE kid in the film. Billy Batson is a scrappy, jaded cynical kid who’s broken up about being lost, he’s not goofy sand silly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He also gets the Courage of Achilles so that probably helps

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of an interesting thing is that the transformation gives Billy a chance to be a kid more than being an actual kid does. He finally has something going on in his life that distracts him from his abandonment, and he takes a genuine interest and has fun with it.

I did love the whole montage where Billy and Freddy are using the scientific method to figure out how his powers work and practice with them. It's pretty traditional for a superhero to start out unaware of their full abilities and being comically clumsy wand unable to control their powers, and there's a few ways to play with that which can work very well, but it is fun to see it done that way- both having fun with it and showing genuine interest in learning and trying new things.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Lords will be Ringing again

quote:

Warner Bros. Pictures is revamping the “Lord of the Rings” film franchise.

On a Thursday earnings call, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav announced that newly-installed studio leaders Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy have brokered a deal to make “multiple” films based on the beloved J. R. R. Tolkien books. The projects will be developed through WB label New Line Cinema. The first “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, helmed by Peter Jackson, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide; Jackson’s follow-up trilogy based on Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” matched those grosses.

No filmmakers have been attached to the projects as yet, but in a statement to Variety, Jackson and his main “Lord of the Rings” collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens said Warner Bros. and Embracer “have kept us in the loop every step of the way.”

“We look forward to speaking with them further to hear their vision for the franchise moving forward,” Jackson, Walsh and Boyens said.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-new-movies-warner-bros-1235533672/

Love these vague announcements of franchise movies

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’d rather they tell stories set in those environments than rehash LOTR or something. Tell new stories.

I do want to see epic battles like against Ancaligon that giant rear end dragon and balrogs tho

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-new-movies-warner-bros-1235533672/

if it's anything like that boring rear end amazon show then lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gatts posted:

I’d rather they tell stories set in those environments than rehash LOTR or something. Tell new stories.

I do want to see epic battles like against Ancaligon that giant rear end dragon and balrogs tho
I am pretty confident that they are just going to re-do LOTR again

The new WBD President has said that he wants to mostly push established franchises to get them out of the hole they're in in terms of massive debt, so be prepared for them to just do LOTR over again

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am pretty confident that they are just going to re-do LOTR again

The new WBD President has said that he wants to mostly push established franchises to get them out of the hole they're in in terms of massive debt, so be prepared for them to just do LOTR over again

Ugh gently caress this merger

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think one single person actually watched the LOTR TV show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

From what I heard nothing really happens, which is kind of a problem for something Amazon spent like a billion dollars on between the rights and the production costs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

well why not posted:

My dad is a huge Tolkien nut and he loved the show.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

They need to make it exciting for today's youth!

No more being coy and calling it "pipeweed" or "Old Tobey," or whatever, just straight up show Gandalf and Bilbo hitting fat blunts

Explicit romance between Gimli and Legolas

Gollum's one of those sad yandere anime waifus now

Sauron is played by Jared Leto

The Orcs are now those football hooligan Warhammer 40K Orks

Frodo says "gently caress"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finally, the hardcore gay sex scene between Frodo and Sam, what I've always wanted

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What if, when Frodo first puts on the ring, he quips, "So that just happened!"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"The Ring cannot be destroyed by mortal hands, it's on the blockchain"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

It’s….fine. It has problems, it has some great stuff. A real mixed bag.

Edit: which is damning with faint praise I suppose. It had potential and squandered it with a few very odd choices.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"Da spikey boss says we gots to gets the shiny gibbins from da hobbitses, ERE WE GO BOYZ, WAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thwomp posted:

It’s….fine. It has problems, it has some great stuff. A real mixed bag.

Edit: which is damning with faint praise I suppose. It had potential and squandered it with a few very odd choices.

yeah, I don't even necessarily think "slow" is the worst complaint you can lodge in a world where you make plans to hang out with someone and they flake on you 4 years later but you're still cool

I'd say it's inconsistent in quality though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

What if, when Frodo first puts on the ring, he quips, "So that just happened!"

David Zaslav: "in order to relate to today's teens we will be making this an Isekai where an earth influencer is transported to middle earth where they must influence events to change the course of history"

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Tars Tarkas posted:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The new WBD President has said that he wants to mostly push established franchises to get them out of the hole they're in in terms of massive debt,

Yeah, sucks but I guess that makes se

quote:

so be prepared for them to just do LOTR over again

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No attack on you FL, I am just eternally surprised by the new ways WB explores to gently caress things up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

David Zaslav has seen the rough cut and decided to delete it forever since it's not good, despite having spent hundreds of millions already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

Of the top 15 most watched streaming service original shows of 2022, 13 are by Netflix and two are by Amazon. One of them was The Boys and the other was LOTR.