Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they need to do a SMAC remake like that MOM remake. just polish up the graphics on level 3 and modernize the interface. you don't have to add anything else. i wouldn't say no if you did but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

uber_stoat posted:

they need to do a SMAC remake like that MOM remake. just polish up the graphics on level 3 and modernize the interface. you don't have to add anything else. i wouldn't say no if you did but...

The monkey's paw already curled on that one, and gave us Beyond Earth.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I began to install Fall from Heaven 2 only to realize that I haven't played Civ4: Beyond the Sword yet, whoops. Vanilla was neat, but I need to try the final expansion and see the complete game!

Trying a start as the Zulu in the Earth2 map with a rocky climate and low oceans, and on the next difficulty up. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm eagerly awaiting your impression of FFH2.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

wiegieman posted:

The monkey's paw already curled on that one, and gave us Beyond Earth.

I think you mean Pandora: First Contact. Beyond Earth was at least a little bit its own thing...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They thought having joint publishers for SMAC at the time was a good idea, but sadly Firaxis and EA won't do a remake or a sequel. I was fortunate enough to be a playtester for SMAC and thought it was miles ahead of anything I'd ever played before except MOO.

I guess as publicly traded companies, neither Firaxis nor EA will consider doing anything with it; if I had serious money I'd offer to buy a joint license and do both a remake of the original and a version updated with more contemporary strategies and artificial intelligence.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Urgh. I bumped up the difficulty once in Civ 4 and now it feels like I went from winning handily to losing badly. The enemies just keep pumping out war elephants and I've got horse archers. I'm not honestly sure what I could do to play better.

Or, oh, this is how it felt to play Civ 5. I was losing and didn't know why and I can either play on so easy it's boring or so hard I suffer.

I just - there's so many moving parts here I'm not even sure what I'm neglecting.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This looks really interesting - 4x with a card based real time auto-battles.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195410/Songs_Of_Silence/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Urgh. I bumped up the difficulty once in Civ 4 and now it feels like I went from winning handily to losing badly. The enemies just keep pumping out war elephants and I've got horse archers. I'm not honestly sure what I could do to play better.

Or, oh, this is how it felt to play Civ 5. I was losing and didn't know why and I can either play on so easy it's boring or so hard I suffer.

I just - there's so many moving parts here I'm not even sure what I'm neglecting.

i learned to start playing civ 4 at a respectable level by reading sisiutil's all leader challenge games over on civfanatics, which feature both LP-like posts and strategy recommendations from posters who were following along at the time. they aren't presented as well as they used to be - photobucket put big watermarks on all of the images - but reading both the game report posts and the discussion around them taught me a lot about how the people who play on the middle (and later in the series, top) difficulties think about the game. you probably don't need to read the whole series to start getting a handle on the basic strategy lessons you need to advance in difficulty

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, since I'm having a cranky day and don't want to unravel Civ4's mysteries, I went ahead and installed Fall from Heaven 2. I tried to install the extraextramod, but I can't make the installer work, and since I have limited time before I have to walk the dog, I just dove in. I'm playing on the second easiest difficulty, I'm playing as the Eloheim so I'm all about peace and magic, and apparently I have a panic button! Cast this spell once per game(!) to remove all non-me units from my borders for a while. Yes. Thank you. I need that in vanilla Civ.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you don't really need emm at first, it just fixes balance problems that will start to become obvious the more you play. it is definitely a better experience with it, but only by like, 10%

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jazerus posted:

i learned to start playing civ 4 at a respectable level by reading sisiutil's all leader challenge games over on civfanatics, which feature both LP-like posts and strategy recommendations from posters who were following along at the time. they aren't presented as well as they used to be - photobucket put big watermarks on all of the images - but reading both the game report posts and the discussion around them taught me a lot about how the people who play on the middle (and later in the series, top) difficulties think about the game. you probably don't need to read the whole series to start getting a handle on the basic strategy lessons you need to advance in difficulty

Thank you! I'll dig in and read tonight.

Jazerus posted:

you don't really need emm at first, it just fixes balance problems that will start to become obvious the more you play. it is definitely a better experience with it, but only by like, 10%

Perfect, I can deal with that much later then!

I don't know if I'm clicking with Fall from Heaven yet, but I already like the flavor much more than Civ4: the world feels interesting to explore, the tech tree is a marvel, and I LOVE building structures to unlock units. It just makes sense!

I've got an archer roaming around rooting out the barbarians and their lairs (shot some big-nosed goblins) and the events happening are really interesting. Pirate maps! Dragons!

So - I'm happy I installed it and played it, and will continue to do so in the future. Another big 4X checked out - I get to pick between Warlock 2, Fallen Enchantress, Age of Wonders 3/Planetfall, Civ 4, Path to Heaven 2, AI War, SMAX, MOO2.... god it's like I tripped and fell into scrooge mcduck's gold room. I need time and a bigger brain, and for my hyperfixation to settle on one game so I can really dig in and learn everything about it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

habituallyred posted:

Everybody has different things they want out of a 4x, especially one focused on combat. So I'll post a bit about what I look for.

1.Minimal or at least controllable RNG. 50% miss chances can bite me. There are genres and games that they are appropriate for. But these aren't it. I might settle for ever other attack missing. Even a bag with 6 stones labeled 1-6 and you miss if you draw below a 4 might be interesting. But going an entire turn where nothing happens is bad.
2. Meaningful promotions and decisions in general. Some level ups might not be interesting. But every 5 or 10 there had better be something dramatic. This is even more important for any characters designated as a hero.
3. Eyeballable numbers. There is a lot of value in being able to do the combat math in your head. A good preview function can help substitute for this later in the game. This also includes being able to look at an enemy unit and know basically what you are facing quickly.

Okay Sorcerer Kings. It is an apples to apples comparison with Spellforce : Eo so I am talking about this one instead of Fallen Enchantress. For the record the mod that other folks have mentioned was neat, but the lack of tooltips meant a lot of checking the manual/website. Adjacent units boosting your to hit/damage is a neat idea. Letting units with a high initiative stat take multiple moves per round isn't. The idea that both your and the sorceror king's ascension points get added towards that victory total, with victory coming to the one who controls more when the orb is full is neat.

1. Units have an accuracy stat, which is opposed by a dodge stat. A typical beast accuracy is 80, with the bear making continuous attacks at an increasing penalty until they miss. Various enchantments and abilities can boost this, but ugh.
2. Non hero units get a flat statistical bonus per level, no complaints there. Heroes have a skill tree that each level gives you another node on. A tree might have +5% critical... leading to getting a free move on critical hits. Your leader has their own skill tree, with experience competing with mana/research. It doesn't matter what most of the tree has, one branch unlocks enchanting equipment and improving army size. 4 promotions can get me another hero... or enemies fighting in my territory lose a hit point every round.
3. At first glance units have a simple stats+feat system going on. Then you mouse over the attack stat and find that it is the sum of physical and poison/arcane/whatever damage. So if your target takes half damage from fire and half of your damage is fire type then... The in battle estimate is good, but it makes it tough to eyeball it. Some of the feats are less than enlightening. A wolf can cast howl. No explanation of what howl is or why it is so powerful you have to wait a turn to cast it on the detail screen. I didn't see any enemies with equipment, but you can certainly trick out your own units with 6 accessories+the usual assortment. If it wasn't for its lack of hitpoints this pioneer I got from the Sorcerer king would be better than the non heroes in my starting stack. With a combination of a poison dart, bonus against champions, and a bonus to dodge gained per level.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Next Spellforce patch is out: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1581770/view/3657523159362470882?l=english

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Minor spell force question has anyone figured out a way to turn off the intro quest or is that baked in? I just want a tower and my dudes I don't want to get asked the same drat questions as I restart for the 4th time.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I really wish someone could mod MoO2 so it could break the map size limit. Imagine it with 250 stars or more, with all the races?

More races and individual shipsets for each race would please me too.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

habituallyred posted:

I think you mean Pandora: First Contact. Beyond Earth was at least a little bit its own thing...

Pandora is fine once you realize it's a barebones bargain bin clone of SMAC with writing that's almost entirely tongue-in-cheek, like off-brand Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett. Then you'll realize that it's got nice UX modernizations, more units and techs, and decent visuals. Some neat gameplay additions like the city management, production being based on faction capacity and not specific cities, and the projects/operations. And, not much more than that, but it works as a Matrix Games budget clone, with all that entails. It's far less disappointing than Beyond Earth, which is its own thing in that it's an over-glorified Civ V mod.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Looking for recommendations here - I recently joined a group of board game nerds and we played, among other things, a couple of strategy games I would describe as "Risk with power-ups and a tiny tiny drop of city building".

In Kemet you pick upgrades and special units from a shared tech tree that greatly changes how your faction plays. You might get to ignore movement restrictions, ignore army size limits, and so much.

In Inis you are basically playing a card game on top of the basic Risk-like gameplay, where the cards can affect both the strategic layer (build/explore new territories), act as combat tricks, or mess with the opponents' strategies.

I'm looking for a strategy game that scratches the same kind of itch for single-player mode:

- Turn-based
- Minimal management and number crunching
- Quick and abstract combat
- Fairly simple empire / city / base building elements
- Some kind of tech tree / item collection / card selection mechanic that has a BIG impact on the game. Less "+5% ranged damage" and more "All your troops now have ranged attacks"

The best I have found so far is Ozymandias and while it certainly earns my recommendation, it's got a bit too much (literal) spreadsheet in it for what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions along those lines?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe one to keep an eye on is Songs of Silence - looks like a 4x-lite with a card based auto-battler.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195410/Songs_Of_Silence/

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Anybody have opinions on Hexarchy?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game that scratches the same kind of itch for single-player mode:

- Turn-based
- Some kind of tech tree / item collection / card selection mechanic that has a BIG impact on the game. Less "+5% ranged damage" and more "All your troops now have ranged attacks"

The closest I can think of is Kaiju Wars, where you play as the mooks fighting off giant monsters. The monster(s) act fairly deterministically, so it has a sort of puzzle game feel - but both you and the monster are heavily subject to the vagaries of random but powerful card draws from your decks which can change things up.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

NihilCredo posted:

Looking for recommendations here
- Turn-based

The best I have found so far is Ozymandias and while it certainly earns my recommendation, it's got a bit too much (literal) spreadsheet in it for what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions along those lines?
Not a good match on the fifth point, but... Theocracy might fit the bill, especially factoring in the $7 US price tag. Been looking for the next game to play from my steam backlog, so maybe I'll have a more suitable suggestion later on. I have a vague feeling I might have something risk-like there, but it's not coming to mind. Might be egyptian-themed.

Edit: Also thinking, would games similar to Heroes of Might and Magic scratch a similar itch?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 1, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looks like Distant Worlds 2 is getting a new update in a couple days, on March 2nd.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like Distant Worlds 2 is getting a new update in a couple days, on March 2nd.

Oh poo poo! Any news on what’s in there?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

chaosapiant posted:

Oh poo poo! Any news on what’s in there?

All I saw was a "Tune into a stream tomorrow!" announcement made yesterday. No further news posts on Steam or Slitherine's website for the game. So, dunno! :shrug:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Check out this video "Distant Worlds 2 - New update stream w/Erik" https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv/v/1751592500?sr=a&t=6134s

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

LordSloth posted:

Not a good match on the fifth point, but... Theocracy might fit the bill, especially factoring in the $7 US price tag. Been looking for the next game to play from my steam backlog, so maybe I'll have a more suitable suggestion later on. I have a vague feeling I might have something risk-like there, but it's not coming to mind. Might be egyptian-themed.

Edit: Also thinking, would games similar to Heroes of Might and Magic scratch a similar itch?

Theocracy looks promising, thank you. It'll probably be next on my list.

To answer your second question, I'm actually playing Conquest of Eo right now (unrelated to my search for board game methadone), but I only just got my tower flying so I haven't formed an opinion yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Check out this video "Distant Worlds 2 - New update stream w/Erik" https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv/v/1751592500?sr=a&t=6134s

Would’ve been nice of them to summarize the update for people who don’t want to watch a 2 hour stream (me).

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I just got a cloudflare error from SA for trying to paste the changes from the pdf the developer posted to the second page of a thread on the steam forums (wtf), so here's a link to it instead: https://we.tl/t-gpYixUNZk3

That's right. After searching reddit and the steam forums, that's where I found it.

I'd post the text but:

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 1, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's bizarre

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Would’ve been nice of them to summarize the update for people who don’t want to watch a 2 hour stream (me).

Based on the discussion in Steam forums the update is just merging all the current beta branch to main brach.
Changes here in a pdf file from the dev, I guess...?:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e84b6b1195f99c02508eaec44576651e20230228220840/62c155

Also it was announced two DLC are coming this years with 4 more playable factions and a big expansion will be coming out this year.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Garfu posted:

I just got a cloudflare error from SA for trying to paste the changes from the pdf the developer posted to the second page of a thread on the steam forums (wtf), so here's a link to it instead: https://we.tl/t-gpYixUNZk3

That's right. After searching reddit and the steam forums, that's where I found it.

I'd post the text but:

Hmm, let me try... Nope, same issue here. I even tried converting the text to from UTF-8 to ANSI and pasting it it, same deal.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I think it's due to the length. I tried the good old "break it into chunks and see which chunk the forums object to" method for narrowing it down, but every segment individually posts fine. It's when I try to post most of it at once that they object. EDIT: It's just over 5,000 words in total.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.

Orange Devil posted:

Anybody have opinions on Hexarchy?

Cautiously, that it is good. I have only played a few games so far, and I think you need to enjoy deckbuilders to enjoy Hexarchy.

It's a deckbuilder first, though the 4x isn't just pasted on. Building more cities, improvements, etc, will give you the ability to play more cards, and you will need to burn cards from your deck to play your best, possibly even cards you'd rather have later (like buildings; if you burn a building card or a unit card, you can't ever build that thing again.) Exploiting the right strategic resources can make powerful cards much cheaper to play. Each civ gets their own unique, cheap, good card, but your deck will quickly get fat enough that you won't see a lot of it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Matrix sure do love their pdfs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Type up in word convert to pdf bing bong done.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Theocracy looks promising, thank you. It'll probably be next on my list.

To answer your second question, I'm actually playing Conquest of Eo right now (unrelated to my search for board game methadone), but I only just got my tower flying so I haven't formed an opinion yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1254870/High_Strategy_Urukon/ I'm thinking this game may be exactly what you're looking for? It's very board-game style with asymmetrical faction goals.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Urukon is incredibly granular, you have to commit to a long playthrough to get anywere, and yet at the same time you rely on random chance to get things done. I love the map and the implications you can draw, but basically grinding out your expansion will always be the same (if you want to remove variance). The presentation doesn't help the lack of replayability.

This would kill on a handheld btw, just remove the fiddly modifiers and streamline everything.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/11iuve7/folk_emerging_curious_dynamics_prehistoric_4x/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2275300/Folk_Emerging/

Folk Emerging: a 4X that's kind of like Humanity's pre-historical era The Game. Looks interesting.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Summary of all the cumulative changes from release to now: https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/Uploads/News/DW2_AuroraUpdated_Highlighted%20Changes_Since_Release.pdf
Changelist for specifically the Aurora update: https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/Uploads/News/DW2_AuroraUpdate_ChangeList.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I like the idea but the implementation looks a lot like "civ buy prehistoric". Like I don't think a game about that period should have an explicit tech tree