Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Who is Franz Ferdinand in this situation?

Wait....

Wait!

Franz Ferdinand

F.F.

By god...

:aaaaa: :psydwarf: :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gavriloprincip_2000

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Ah advisors. Yes. Skipping over what that actually means it's metal not flesh they need if they want to face The Dragon (tm).

Realistically China only needs to not take the bait long enough to win the long game by default. As such.

In all honesty, if push came to shove, I don't think China would care there are US military forces there or not tbh. That said, China can afford to wait since it is only getting more leverage on the stiuation but the US is almost certainly going to try and provoke it because that seems the US' only play at this point.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Queueing up another couple books onto the pile to read about Transnistria and Moldova

the thing Ukraine is really after is Transnistria's funky rear end poker chip currency

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty, if push came to shove, I don't think China would care there are US military forces there or not tbh. That said, China can afford to wait since it is only getting more leverage on the stiuation but the US is almost certainly going to try and provoke it because that seems the US' only play at this point.

Yep. I can't realistically add anything. Your analysis is dead on.

I wouldn't like to play mind games with China period and Russia seems to have caught up.

They (tm) need a new deck.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

the thing Ukraine is really after is Transnistria's funky rear end poker chip currency

not sure if it was intentional, but these look like they were designed to be usable even for people with visual impairments or even complete blindness. pretty cool if that’s the case.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Yep. I can't realistically add anything. Your analysis is dead on.

I wouldn't like to play mind games with China period and Russia seems to have caught up.

They (tm) need a new deck.

Admittedly, Russia's fault was underestimating I think both the desperation of the US and Germany/France's independence. But the US, is "running out of cards" because I don't think its political economy allows for anything else. If the US wanted to rapidly expand arms production it wouldn't just need to expand infrastructure and provide some subsidies, but change how the American MIC does business. It is an issue greater than simply throwing money at the problem.

Also, when was the last Moldova crisis, July/August 2022? Basically, just after the Russians had pushed a large scale offensive in the Donbass? The timing doesn't seem to be an accident.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Horizon Burning posted:

Remember how both ukraine and russia were going on about that dam that they were going to blow and everyone said it was russian disinfo and then some ukraine guy came out when everyone had forgotten about it and said they were in fact planning on blowing it and washing out everything

yeah, not sure why i'm bringing that up

lol I honestly forgot that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, Russia's fault was underestimating I think both the desperation of the US and Germany/France's independence. But the US, is "running out of cards" because I don't think its political economy allows for anything else. If the US wanted to rapidly expand arms production it wouldn't just need to expand infrastructure and provide some subsidies, but change how the American MIC does business. It is an issue greater than simply throwing money at the problem.

Also, when was the last Moldova crisis, July/August 2022? Basically, just after the Russians had pushed a large scale offensive in the Donbass? The timing doesn't seem to be an accident.

Yeah Moldova is bait. The strategic choice would be to go "oh well bad luck, we'll sing songs about you" and continue the grind. We'll see how it goes though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

i heard bram stoker has a good one

Wrong Trans.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

if the US were the ones causing talks to breakdown it'd make sense they knew the time table

i guess Putin was supposed to sulk and then Ukraine would shortly join the EU and later NATO

lmfao your brain is incredible

Russia is absolutely riddled with US spies and has been for decades, that's how the US knew

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

kind of poo poo you get when you smash a pot or cut a bush

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the mobile currency of real currencies

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

Wrong Trans.

oh sorry i mean jk rowling

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The US spies also told that russia was running out of ammo a dozen times AND that putin had
Parkinsons
Asscancer
Pooped his Pamps

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the mobile currency of real currencies

Thanks for coming to our cafe, your latte and panini comes to two wombles and a diamond stronk.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Death By The Blues posted:

CIA think tank is speculating that Russia is gonna commit a false flag on the border of Ukraine-Belarus to drag them into the war.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1628940273886568450

Remember: some Russian

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

Thanks for coming to our cafe, your latte and panini comes to two wombles and a diamond stronk.

sorry, do you have change for a purple or some septagons?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

oh sorry i mean jk rowling

There you go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
china has punlished their peace plan

https://www.mfa.gov.cn/eng/zxxx_662...0this%20purpose

super vague and doesnt reallt delve into specifics

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't know if "we would like good things to happen" is much of a peace plan.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
there’s only one Chinese Plan I want to see

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

they never said they were announcing a peace plan, it was always just a "position paper"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
double post

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Turtle Watch posted:

there’s only one Chinese Plan I want to see

I know it's the naval ensign, but I like to imagine the upper-left is an elaborate loss.jpg joke.

loss.prc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

sorry, do you have change for a purple or some septagons?

I can offer you primogems, zen, rift crystals or megaversal credits.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

The specific plan is "don't be an escalating bitch". Which side that applies to is a total mystery.

I should be getting paid for this TBH.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DancingShade posted:

i go to the currency exchange and the clerk tells me that converting 200 usd to the 120 diamond mega hoard is the best value

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Majorian posted:

I know it's the naval ensign, but I like to imagine the upper-left is an elaborate loss.jpg joke.

loss.prc

Beb!

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 09:00 on Feb 24, 2023

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

Ghouls grabbing loose scraps of culture to wear as a disguise but the culture is too thin to hold together. Once they wore the hollowed out corpses of incorruptible saints. Now they put an empty cereal box on their head and try to convince you they are the real Capt. Crunch.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In America the enemies of peace conspire: "Release the atom bomb." They release it. Two bombs. Twenty bombs. Fish die in the sea. Grass withers. Life ends. Business is good, very good. The stock market cheers. Shares of aircraft factories. Shares of Belgian uranium. Shares of war. Sell, buy. Release the bomb faster. [...] The third world war. Atom bombs. Poison: one dose to end mankind. The Atlantic Pact. [...] The stock market celebrates. The Soviet people continue working. The old man plants a tree; it will grow after his death. He believes in peace. The people believe in peace. The Soviet people continue to work: they know that Stalin means peace. But peace must be loved, peace must be defended. [...] The struggle for peace begins. [...] Who is against peace? Only a small group of people: the stock market, the traders wearing suspenders, the traders of death. There are too few atom bombs. We need hydrogen bombs. The death of children, the death of the reefs, of everything is guaranteed. But no, the people will not permit it. [...] War will not be sanctioned. And everyone looks to Moscow. Moscow stands for peace. Warning. Do not approach. Neither to the Soviet children nor to the Soviet flowers. This is the line that war does not cross. [...] Peace will defeat war.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, this is very "can we please go back to the Feb 2022 status quo", which I don't think satisfies either side at this point. Both Ukraine and Russia are committed to getting a win out of this which will change the landscape, the break between East and West is pretty much set in stone now

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah, this is very "can we please go back to the Feb 2022 status quo", which I don't think satisfies either side at this point. Both Ukraine and Russia are committed to getting a win out of this which will change the landscape, the break between East and West is pretty much set in stone now

The Russians know if they take their foot off the accelerator that the West will eventually get their poo poo together, and arm Ukraine as much as possible while the Ukrainians know they have already lost so much, it is basically all or nothing. Peace doesn't gain either side anything.

I guess China feels they need to say something and stake a position, but it doesn't sound like they want to dip the scales here. Otherwise, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to send arms to the Russians in a more round about way through a proxy rather than directly and keep normal bilateral trade going.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
China watching the western world gently caress up covid and now gently caress this is up. Man they must be pissed lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

The Russians know if they take their foot off the accelerator that the West will eventually get their poo poo together, and arm Ukraine as much as possible while the Ukrainians know they have already lost so much, it is basically all or nothing. Peace doesn't gain either side anything.

I guess China feels they need to say something and stake a position, but it doesn't sound like they want to dip the scales here. Otherwise, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to send arms to the Russians in a more round about way through a proxy rather than directly and keep normal bilateral trade going.

I'm not convinced The West (tm) won't continue to gently caress up the same as they have the last couple decades and just defer everything to committees or next year's budget planning, ever year.

Should they show signs of competence? Theoretically. Have they fostered this? The opposite.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

The interplay between Moldova, Poland, Romania and Ukraine is interesting, I don't know how you square it with Ukrainian nationalism. As someone said, the Political Ukrainians in the Transnistria conflict were not on the side you'd expect.

I have absolutely no clue what to expect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fanfic insert posted:

I have absolutely no clue what to expect.

Inflation and lowered living standards.

Buy now before the price of that jacket, pair of boots or other thing goes up by a hundred bucks next calendar year.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ardennes posted:

wait, do you think china is supplying arms to russia?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

wait, do you think china is supplying arms to russia?

No, I was saying if they were going to, they wouldn't do so directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Inflation and lowered living standards.

Buy now before the price of that jacket, pair of boots or other thing goes up by a hundred bucks next calendar year.

I'm too busy stocking up on Pasta

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64732404