Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I didn’t really play COH2 all that much, but the original is probably in my top 5 games of all time, just reading the thread title gave me a wave of nostalgia, I couldn’t care less about single player but I hope multiplayer is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I never played the first game online but it is definitely closer in terms of resourcing and shear number of points, at least. I'm sure some bullshit tactics and exploits will shake out, but it's early days still.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The graphics and presentation of the first game was one of the amazing things about it. Crazy that this one didn't strive for a similar feeling?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
i'll still get it when I hear the release actual bugs are cleared up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

UP AND ADAM posted:

The graphics and presentation of the first game was one of the amazing things about it. Crazy that this one didn't strive for a similar feeling?
It does though? I've played a bit of all 3 COH games within the last week and they're all iterations on the last. COH3's presentation issues are that the lighting is still kinda washed out on desert maps and some (but not all, heavy guns for example have a great sounding bass to them) weapons sfx are comparatively weak. Otherwise the bombast is still there, and a lot of it is strictly superior to the previous games' imo.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mordja posted:

It does though? I've played a bit of all 3 COH games within the last week and they're all iterations on the last. COH3's presentation issues are that the lighting is still kinda washed out on desert maps and some (but not all, heavy guns for example have a great sounding bass to them) weapons sfx are comparatively weak. Otherwise the bombast is still there, and a lot of it is strictly superior to the previous games' imo.

I agree, it is faster than CoH2 and arguably even faster than CoH1. Maybe this is just DAK dependant but the snowball effect is real. I am currently 5-5 and there have been very few "comeback" games.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
It definitely feels a lot faster; not sure if I like it or not. I really don't care for some of the artillery call ins. I had my units retreat before the red smoke shells had even touched the ground and they still didn't run away fast enough to escape the blast. Feels a bit cheap.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Steam reviews are dumping on it pretty hard so I'm holding off, but fanboys on Steam are some of the saltiest people on earth so looking for goon opinions. Some of the professional reviews had me pretty hyped, as someone who hasn't played either of the first games, but the Steam reviews are saying it's basically in alpha.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

androo posted:

Steam reviews are dumping on it pretty hard so I'm holding off, but fanboys on Steam are some of the saltiest people on earth so looking for goon opinions. Some of the professional reviews had me pretty hyped, as someone who hasn't played either of the first games, but the Steam reviews are saying it's basically in alpha.

It definitely feels like it needs a lot more polish, but no, it's not at all unplayable or whatever, and I'd definitely suggest giving it a try.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I watched some streams and it looked ok graphically but I had a nice lol when I saw an artillery vehicle shoot a shell that popped into existence nowhere near the end of the barrel :classiclol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't launch the game keep getting an error "The server is not reachable. Check your internet connection and click "retry"".

Restarted, verified game files, network connection is fine. Anyone else run into this?

Edit: I was able to get around it by copy pasting the bug report response and clicking next :shrug:

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 24, 2023

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

I kind of want to get this on my PS5 just to play the campaign on a massive screen. But I feel I will regret not getting it on PC.

Steam has mods up already. OK that seals it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So far I really like it, dig it more than 2 even, but boy are the textures bad. Maps look good but unit and vehicle textures are on par with COH 2 at best. This is everything maxed except textures too, because my 3070 doesn't have enough VRAM for the game to let me pick ultra.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

androo posted:

Like keep in mind I took time off to play on launch day so I am not making GBS threads on the game but if you are on the fence at all about it, save your money. Wait for a steam sale on CoH 1 or 2, buy it for like 5 dollars and see how you like the gameplay. CoH3 is literally more CoH but with the dials tweaked differently. If I wasn't looking for a competitive RTS to play (AoE4 didn't rub me the right way) I would have passed too.

edit: Like if you are after competitive MP, everyone has played some CoH 1 or 2 on the ladder. So you are already behind anyways, whats a couple of months more? If you are in it for the SP, then there is no harm waiting for them to polish and iron out more bugs which I am sure exist.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Game rocks, steam reviews are written like fighting game fanatics who say a game isn't work playing because the teenage schoolgirl fighter has four frames in a punch instead of five

Lol, that is pretty accurate.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 24, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game rocks, steam reviews are written like fighting game fanatics who say a game isn't work playing because the teenage schoolgirl fighter has four frames in a punch instead of five

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Did some comp stomps with my buddy tonight playing the british. Man, I really like the chirpy VA for the various infantry. So far, its fun and very quickly paced. Enemy AI was pretty reactive and we had a great time. The handful of maps we played were also really good; well designed.

Looking forward to the weekend when I can crack into it further.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I played a few campaign missions so far and a few skirmishes with each faction. It feels somehow less polished than COH2. Infantry combat is fine, though I am used to the COH2 time to kill and it's throwing me off. Vehicle pathing is all over the place and if you select more than one vehicle at once there's a big chance they will run into each other at some point. Overall though the game is good and if you liked any of the previous ones, you'll like this one.

I played a few missions in the North Africa campaign, but they were such a slog that I gave up. There was one interesting mission where you had a Tiger tank and had to kill 12 enemy vehicles or the enemy command tank, but the other missions were tedious and took too long. The objectives revolve around "defend for x amount of time and then capture the rest of the map", and the desert maps are not really that engaging. The enemy never counter attacks unless it's a scripted set piece, so it's just position after position that you have to assault. Maybe the Italy campaign is better, but I'm not holding my breath.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crazy Ferret posted:

Did some comp stomps with my buddy tonight playing the british. Man, I really like the chirpy VA for the various infantry. So far, its fun and very quickly paced. Enemy AI was pretty reactive and we had a great time. The handful of maps we played were also really good; well designed.

Looking forward to the weekend when I can crack into it further.

"We have outfoxed the enemy yet again" ....groan.

7-6 on the day. Some long err short games where one side or the other tapped out before 10 min. Some super long games. I just had one nail-biter vs Brits (who loving get T0 AT grenades????). 44 min won with 60 points left. Clutch AT Stuka loiter took out 1 x Churchill and 1x Grant. I almost lost a P4 and a P3 for free before the Stukas saved my rear end and made it an equal trade.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2023

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Multiplayer has been great so far. And performance wise the games runs very well, it was not great during the beta.

One thing I could complain about balance wise right now is anti air guns seem to just instantly down every plane based ability, and since the germans have multiple types, some just being defensive emplacements as soon as they place one down even 1/3rd of the way towards the center of the map it will just vaporize every single plane that gets called in.

I played as the Airborne company one game and I basically couldn't use any abilities, even attempting to call in paratroopers just at my HQ was a 50/50 chance of them dying the second the plane spawned. Not sure what's up with that.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah my first impression is that multiplayer is good, with matches that are noticeably faster than CoH 2. The larger rosters and unique upgrade trees for each faction are going to take some getting used to but it could add a lot of strategic variety if they can balance it right. The number of things you have to click to unlock a given unit (e.g upgrade your command center, build the Tier 2/3 building, upgrade that building, then finally build the vehicle you want) can be daunting but I imagine it will be much easier for them to balance the cost of certain units this way since there are more knobs to adjust. I also like that every faction has the ability to reinforce on the field with trucks.

Also, the AI is much better at dodging grenades and using cover now. In CoH 2 they could only ever win an engagement with overwhelming force gained by a cheesed economy

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Zak2k12 posted:

Vehicle pathing is all over the place and if you select more than one vehicle at once there's a big chance they will run into each other at some point.

Been like this since the first game. Don’t keep multiple vehicles in the same hot group

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

3-5 on the night with the boys in 4v4s. this is my first CoH, but i watched the tutorial vids that they put on youtube today and they made sense, though they didn't really teach you much about building upgrades and i had no idea what the points did for the three upgrade paths until game six

buildings own, i love rushing the middle with a quick machine gunner and putting them up as high as i can

overall it was fun, gonna try the first mission in the campaign now. the micro is super annoying but i think that's kinda the point. multiple selected units just path however the gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i definitely found the UI janky but also felt the menu screens out-of-game also sucked. can i really not 1v1 an AI out of campaign mode?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i definitely found the UI janky but also felt the menu screens out-of-game also sucked. can i really not 1v1 an AI out of campaign mode?

If it works like in beta, you can create a custom game with you vs 1 AI.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's everyone's preferred starting company in the Italian campaign? Airborne feels very reliable (especially since Paratroopers can get bazookas from the drop, har har), but I kinda want to see if Special Forces are also good, especially since their upgrades basically buff all your infantry by a significant amount.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Played a few hours of the Italian campaign. This game has a few rough edges but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Sound is a little weak, and I agree that the unit models don't always contrast well with their backgrounds.

I love the maps I've encountered so far, there's definitely a stronger emphasis on urban combat and tighter pathways between objectives. Combine that with the new elevation mechanics and armor rules and it feels like the overall tactical balance favors infantry more than either of the previous CoH. Granted I have no idea how that actually plays out in multiplayer.

I think the steam reviews are a tad dramatic. If you like the core gameplay of 1 & 2 I don't see why 3 would disappoint. Definitely let it bake if you're on the fence, though, needs some polish.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

toasterwarrior posted:

What's everyone's preferred starting company in the Italian campaign? Airborne feels very reliable (especially since Paratroopers can get bazookas from the drop, har har), but I kinda want to see if Special Forces are also good, especially since their upgrades basically buff all your infantry by a significant amount.

FWIW I started with special forces and they can switch between bazookas and LMGs at will.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Riatsala posted:

FWIW I started with special forces and they can switch between bazookas and LMGs at will.

drat, apologies to Winters and the boys but I am absolutely restarting for SF then, thank you!

EDIT: addendum, but the end of the first mandatory campaign mission, if you delay your attack, has a really, really brutal wave at the end so you want a lot of AT weapons at the ready. Hence my insistence on bazookas :v

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 24, 2023

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

i say swears online posted:

multiple selected units just path however the gently caress

Yeah, don’t keep your units together. This is a tactically focused game, so your army will only consist of a handful of units. Keep every vehicle in its own hot group and keep infantry squads apart or at max 2 together. Blobbing infantry together is a recipe for getting them artilleried.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Small but lifesaving tip: if you just double-click the building icon it'll autoplace somewhere meaning you never have to look at your base to build your base.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One small thing that's been annoying me is how often my selection of specific units is inaccurate, I'll select a pinned squad to retreat, only to find it didnt stick and the previous fine unit is running back. That might just be old man skillz tho.

Also for some reason if you have a group and double click the icon in the group menu the view doesn't jump to them anymore. Super annoying if your group is spread out.

The view also really needs another 30 percent zoom out or so, it is quite annoying.

However I'm already stoked for work to be over so I can play all evening, feeling the same joy as with the first :allears:

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019
what the gently caress is this, Relic

i demand an immediate hotfix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, Relic skirmish AI is as inanely loving annoying as ever when it comes to backcapping points. I basically need to have an anti-infantry capable vehicle + infantry squad roaming my backlines to kill the stray grenadier squads that don't even try to bother engaging or flanking my main blob, or maybe even two pairs of them depending on how big the map is.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kind of? It's a node based map where you capture locations that provide upgrades like more squad calls ins and such; you also have things like bombers that you can call in to soften them before you attack. You don't get a lot of global bonuses though like you do in Dark Crusade.

Thanks, so I guess it sorta does what I wanted. Is the campaign coopable or not? They mentioned it in a trailer ages ago, but it doesn't seem like it is?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Game good, definitely reminds me of CoH1 more than 2. A lot more frenetic. The campaign map I suspect is nothing more than a storyline maker rather than an actual dynamic system. It seems okay, just nothing spectacular.

I don't listen to steam reviews after the very positive for terfwarts.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Communist Bear posted:

I don't listen to steam reviews after the very positive for terfwarts.

You'd think a lot of the people who rushed to praise Hogwarts Legacy would be really excited about the North Africa campaign :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

As others above said I took SF because they can switch to AT which helps with push maps, but if you want to play the brits it's a good idea to take the arty company because unlike the others you have to unlock the ability to make a brit arty company. There is an early mission you can take that gives one company as a reward if you want to start with US though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jovial Cow posted:

I didn’t really play COH2 all that much, but the original is probably in my top 5 games of all time, just reading the thread title gave me a wave of nostalgia, I couldn’t care less about single player but I hope multiplayer is good!

Man I get so much nostalgia when people talk about multiplayer RTS. Games like Battle for Middle Earth, Command Conquer, AoE2, Starcraft, CoH and Supreme Commander were some of the best online experience I had. Pulling off some sick micro or getting a optimized build off is one of the best failing. Nice to see this game have some decent reviews. Will definitely give it a try even though I vastly prefer CoH2's artstyle.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Dwarf Named Magnus posted:

what the gently caress is this, Relic

i demand an immediate hotfix

This is an Italian artillery piece, the "Rocket Launci".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm surprised how quickly skirmishes go when it's random enemies on the map, I keep completing them before the secondary objective even pops up. I'd put it down to being sicknazty at early game because of years of fighting of pioneer spam but really the OPFOR just doesn't start with strong units and they aren't aggressive at retaking key objectives.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

This is an Italian artillery piece, the "Rocket Launci".

The nice thing about the Italians being fascists here is that you can look at their poo poo and go "hey, you're not *really* calling it that, right?" Without it being culturally insensitive.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 24, 2023