Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The exotic bow from Spire of the Watcher is a demigod golden age AI turned into a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Please allow me to explain my Bigger Witness theory

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR POSTING SMALL WITNESS)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Please allow me to explain my Bigger Witness theory

not even a month into the thread and we have a new title

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You can tell in that shot it's actually Rhuulk

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You guys noticed the Witness was like a thousand yards tall yeah??

I’ve been saying this but the people wouldn’t listen to my message

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They called them Psi Ops and they were ten dollars!

psi ops were not hunts. they had enemies that were interesting

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

psi ops were not hunts. they had enemies that were interesting
Nightmare Hunts and Empire Hunts are basically just mini-strikes, just like Psi-Ops.

Granted, Psi-Ops are still kind of better then Nightmare Hunts because they don't require you to do the dreambane poo poo or suffer damage penalties. (Which are frankly irrelevant now, but were kind of annoying when it first came out.)

And I guess Psi-ops had higher enemy counts

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They called them Psi Ops and they were ten dollars!
Risen came for free with WQ, IIRC.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Just did the final mission of the season and man, what tanky bullshit. And now they want to make the whole game like that? Why not letting people have fun with their game?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Nightmare Hunts and Empire Hunts are basically just mini-strikes, just like Psi-Ops.

Granted, Psi-Ops are still kind of better then Nightmare Hunts because they don't require you to do the dreambane poo poo or suffer damage penalties. (Which are frankly irrelevant now, but were kind of annoying when it first came out.)

And I guess Psi-ops had higher enemy counts

Risen came for free with WQ, IIRC.

WQ was just WQ unfortunately. Risen was $10 even though it was mighty skimpy (which is historically the case for Season 1 each year, & was why Annual Expansion included a season pass in the past)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

WQ was just WQ unfortunately. Risen was $10 even though it was mighty skimpy (which is historically the case for Season 1 each year, & was why Annual Expansion included a season pass in the past)
Huh. Forgot that WQ broke that tradition.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Vail Resorts-rear end Seasons Pass now imho

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

muike posted:

the witness is just megamind

i kind of dislike how many plot threads just seem to be getting tied up for the sake of getting tied up instead of the destiny universe having a feeling of mystery. i don't think it needed a single big bad guy, especially one that is like ALL ENCOMPASSING for the store to be fun or to even reach a natural conclusion

maybe some lightfall lore will make it seem more interesting, but i feel like the build up to lightfall has been about making everything less interesting and open ended and more about there being a Lord Zed to the Power Rangers

It's just a part of the wikification of stories. every question must be answered to the most minute detail. the smallest reference to anything at all must be expanded upon into a revelation. nothing can be left alone, nothing can be separate or distinct.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Also I hope theories are right and the actual pyramids are the winnower because that damned giant eyed witness is just so goofy, I can't get over it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RIP Amanda

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
There will be at least 2 more lore entries about how the Eliksni still can't believe she isn't a Guardian before she actually croaks and becomes a Guardian.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

We still don't have answers for what the deal with the Nine of the Vex are. Dead Orbit and New Monarchy are in the wind. I'm sure if you dig through a lot of lore books there's all sorts of weird stuff that doesn't tie in.

Having a bunch of threads tie together is satisfying. What threads feel like they're being tied up for the sake of being tied up?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

eh, I don't think there's any way they could have resolved the 'series' that would please everyone

leave threads dangling and mysterious (ala early Destiny's fragmented lore/storytelling) people complain it's unclear

spell everything out and put it in your face (ala current seasonal storytelling), people complain it's spoonfed

wrap everything up with a big bad, people complain it's too pat

I'm happy we get to go to cool places they've mentioned, and shoot aliens with cool guns made from aliens

If we get the blue star vex homeworld at some point before D2 goes into maintenance mode I'll be content

If there's going to be some form of D3 ever, I'd assume it would be extrasolar, but I wonder if that would have the reach of Halo and Destiny - a substantial part of their appeal was familiarity, setting the game around humanity on earth, with recognizable elements

The game has strayed farther and farther from that (seriously go compare early D1 marketing - armed astronauts meeting the traveler then riding a sparrow on venus to the most recent D2 trailers - some weird loving bug thing hugging a bug baby, smoke conehead man and bondage royal rhino), and I feel like that makes it harder to draw in new fans that aren't already invested (cf. Warframe, let me dig up the text description of their most recent frame description...)

what the actual gently caress posted:

Instead of a Leverian, you can reveal Citrine’s origins by visiting Otak in the Necralisk on Deimos and by playing the new Tyana Pass Mission on Mars. Citrine’s Prex Card can also be obtained from Otak.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The less said about the Nine at this point the better IMHO

They're a mystical cool concept that has come dangerously close to "they're literally just _______" a couple times now

I don't like mystery for the sake of mystery but it's fun to have these huge strange concepts that just add depth to the universe

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe - I just think I wouldn't mind a season that features their aesthetic / a new spin on it, or something related to it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

RIP Amanda

She’s in a bunch of the vidoc stuff that’s obviously post battle, she ain’t dead

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

She’s in a bunch of the vidoc stuff that’s obviously post battle, she ain’t dead

That’s what they want you to think!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

That’s what they want you to think!

She either lives or becomes a guardian, guarantee she’s involved in the seasonal poo poo

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Bungie Name idea: Amanda Holliday’s Pair o’ Causals

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
New leak says about Amanda she "dies" in the Lightfall intro cutscene but it's a fakeout and that shot of her firing a shotgun and then emerging from the dark is her "omg she's alive!" moment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they really do intend to wrap up the Light and Dark saga in the next expansion, they have to be tying off more threads than they leave open, at least as far as the core plot goes. Every epic eventually runs into this because stories have to end. There can't be infinite mysteries and infinite stacks of revealing the true power behind the big bad you just beat

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The less said about the Nine at this point the better IMHO

They're a mystical cool concept that has come dangerously close to "they're literally just _______" a couple times now

I don't like mystery for the sake of mystery but it's fun to have these huge strange concepts that just add depth to the universe

I'm pretty sure we got the one now-official explanation for the Nine in season 6- they're an emergent consciousness sustained by the interactions of living organisms with streams of dark matter passing through the Sol system

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/categories/book-dust

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure we got the one now-official explanation for the Nine in season 6- they're an emergent consciousness sustained by the interactions of living organisms with streams of dark matter passing through the Sol system

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/categories/book-dust

That's stupid. No wonder they dropped 'em

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure we got the one now-official explanation for the Nine in season 6- they're an emergent consciousness sustained by the blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Anyways yes they're not going to wrap up everything by the end of Final Shape and The Nine are really uninteresting and lead to some of the worst gobbeldygook writing we've seen (Season of the Drifter) so I'm very down for saving them for the second "saga" or just forgetting they exist entirely

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
I made this video using footage from last weekend's Trials of Osiris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0U2esiv50M

I feel like trials has been in a pretty good state this season; interested to see how it'll shake down with strand type gaming in the next one.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Blog Free or Die posted:

I made this video using footage from last weekend's Trials of Osiris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0U2esiv50M

I feel like trials has been in a pretty good state this season; interested to see how it'll shake down with strand type gaming in the next one.

Speaking as a mediocre pvper, that's actually rather informative.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Traveler being a gigantic gun means Guardians are going to dismantle the Traveler.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
gently caress that, it means our ghosts are TINY guns

Open up, little light

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress that, it means our ghosts are TINY guns

Open up, little light

They zap mosquitoes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DancingShade posted:

They zap mosquitoes.

But, I've never seen any mosquitos in Destiny?!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pirate Jet posted:

New leak says about Amanda she "dies" in the Lightfall intro cutscene but it's a fakeout and that shot of her firing a shotgun and then emerging from the dark is her "omg she's alive!" moment

man if they not only put chekov's rifle on the wall but have spent the last year and a half repeatedly taking it down to clean it while waggling their eyebrows at us and going "ehhh??? eeehhh????" just for it to be a fake out i'm gonna have, like, a little spout of cartoon steam coming out of my ears. i will turn red and stomp a bit.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

exactly!!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

victrix posted:

The game has strayed farther and farther from that (seriously go compare early D1 marketing - armed astronauts meeting the traveler then riding a sparrow on venus to the most recent D2 trailers - some weird loving bug thing hugging a bug baby, smoke conehead man and bondage royal rhino), and I feel like that makes it harder to draw in new fans that aren't already invested (cf. Warframe, let me dig up the text description of their most recent frame description...)

still glad i decided to drop warframe for destiny, in spite of everything (ngl skimping on cross save helped out a lot in that regard)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ghost also does your laundry without a washing machine whenever you teleport.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Pirate Jet posted:

Anyways yes they're not going to wrap up everything by the end of Final Shape and The Nine are really uninteresting and lead to some of the worst gobbeldygook writing we've seen (Season of the Drifter) so I'm very down for saving them for the second "saga" or just forgetting they exist entirely

Okay, but responding to anyone complaining about a grind with the Emissary's line of "Keep playing the game." is always funny to me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's very simple. The nine are horse touchers, the witness is a flasher pervert (giant size, flowing robe, no pants, flies over you) and Clovis daughters are stealing our dog which is the greatest warcrime in the history of destiny.

The traveller? It's known by many names. Some call it... the eververse.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Star Horse should be the core of D3 IMO. Neigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

elpaganoescapa posted:

Just did the final mission of the season and man, what tanky bullshit. And now they want to make the whole game like that? Why not letting people have fun with their game?

Died five times on the boss and gave up. Shoot game not fun.