Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

try doing a file check.

in xl, it's under settings -> game -> run integrity check

can also try Restore Game Data in the official launcher, but you'll have to redownload the patches again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Warmachine posted:

It's definitely the latter.

If it was the former, I'd start by changing In From The Cold to be the warm-up fight by having you ACTUALLY swap with Zenos and fight him then and there, with the WoL having Zenos' reaper kit and Zenos having a kit appropriate to what they jacked from you (healer kit Zenos would be a boring fight, I think). It's one of the weakest parts of Endwalker because it is tedious and doesn't really do anything to build up the conflict in a meaningful way. Of course Zenos uses your body to try and attack your friends as 'motivation.' Wow, so original. Better get through this obligatory stealth section before he gets there!

If I'm working backwards trying to reverse engineer his motives for doing things, that part sticks out like a sore thumb, and it feels like he was being deferential to Fandaniel at the moment rather than plotting something of his own devices.

If I were trying to 'fix' Zenos' story, I'd instead try to step back and re-examine what the baseline purpose of the character actually is, both from the character motivation perspective and the more coldly functional and mechanical 'what is this character's purpose within this story'. Because to be completely honest, I feel like Zenos either never had a singular consistent mission statement as a character, or the writers were really bad at conveying the one that they had. His out-of-game short stories for example are both perfectly good for telling the story of Zenos as he seemed in Stormblood... but at best either seemed completely superfluous to what he'd become, or at worse actually seemed to speak counter to where he'd end up going.

A friend of mine once described Zenos as 'three completely different characters that all happen to have the exact same name and design'. SB Zenos, ShB Zenos, and EW Zenos all feel like completely unrelated characters with completely different motivations that only string together on a plot logic level rather than an internal character one. None of those characters being bad, mind you, but none of them feeling cohesive with each other; I'd probably be able to find a favorite story moment with Zenos in each expansion, but I'd struggle to explain how they linked together. So if I were to try and 'fix' his character journey, I'd primarily start by stabilizing him, try to figure out a singular character arc that hits most of the things he did and then refine that into something workable.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Man all this poo poo sucks

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Zenos's character and arc is completely consistent from each expansion to the next. I don't get where that's coming from. From the start it's literally been to find a challenge worth fighting, but throughout ShB and most of EW that challenge has more important things to do than fight him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Zenos is bored as hell and the first time he finds something that interests him he hyperfixates. That's his entire character arc.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Man all this poo poo sucks

?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Zenos is bored as hell and the first time he finds something that interests him he hyperfixates. That's his entire character arc.

honestly, same

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

If I were trying to 'fix' Zenos' story, I'd instead try to step back and re-examine what the baseline purpose of the character actually is, both from the character motivation perspective and the more coldly functional and mechanical 'what is this character's purpose within this story'. Because to be completely honest, I feel like Zenos either never had a singular consistent mission statement as a character, or the writers were really bad at conveying the one that they had.

I think it's more you're just dumb.

Like genuinely. The character has like dozen different 5 minute monologues where he just outright states what his deal is what he wants and why he doesn't care about other things (Until the end when he has his incredibly minor development as a human being) and then you have as many moments of other characters either in horror of him or outright rebutting him. They can't dumb it down more and you still go "Hmmm I don't think I got it."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 24, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Heran Bago posted:

Are there mods to make my character W I D E ?

there are

i am a chonk viera

It's called Customize+, best with Anamnesis to edit the scale. Basically go into gpose, adjust bone scales, and then export the body scale as a .pose file. Import that in customize+ and you can set it so the bone scales are persistent for that character. Because most armor isn't made for that there's gonna be some clipping, depending on what body parts and how much you scale them. My underwear is clipping through the hydrostatic top here among other things.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't think zenos could get more direct (or erect) about what he wants

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

He repeats himself over and over while single mindedly pursuing a single goal and apparently that wasn't consistent enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Robo Reagan posted:

Sweet, it's an accessibility thing for me so it'd suck to lose it.

Anyway here's the family man

https://twitter.com/EpicUrianger/status/1628516423021768704?s=20

"This is worse than time I was Solid Snake"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I started scribbling a brooch design I want on some fan art I'm getting. Trying to mash together the Azem/Sun alchemical symbol with the Gunbreaker's tank stance symbol, all to be engraved on a metal brooch and set with a cabochon fire opal. Thought it kinda turned out nice for someone who has never tried something like this before. It'll replace the wolf head brooch on the Cloud Strife outfit in the finished work. (Which I'm also sketching some modifications for to differentiate my GNB's outfit from the Cloud Strife gear.)

I intentionally left out the two dots that some interpretations of the symbol contain. I couldn't come up with a justification for why they weren't just a by-product of low texture resolution, given the apparent connection to the other 'constellation' based soul gems.

Spoilered because it could technically give away some plot points if you squint hard and do a bit of mental algebra.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

there are

i am a chonk viera

It's called Customize+, best with Anamnesis to edit the scale. Basically go into gpose, adjust bone scales, and then export the body scale as a .pose file. Import that in customize+ and you can set it so the bone scales are persistent for that character. Because most armor isn't made for that there's gonna be some clipping, depending on what body parts and how much you scale them. My underwear is clipping through the hydrostatic top here among other things.

dang, that's cool. I play butch as heck looking femroe and it's perfect except for the hank hill rear end. Fukken if you lift weights your butt also gets big, SE!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1628975830008475648

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Bopping along through Shadowbringers, and, despite being literally in the trailer and the name, I was surprised by just cutting apart the sky and letting the night back in.

Also slightly miffed about bringing back the day/night cycle, I'd been a little stoked about not having to light my drat screenshots.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you can set ng+ to any msq period prior to 5.0 and curse the world with eternal light again, you monster

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dareon posted:

Bopping along through Shadowbringers, and, despite being literally in the trailer and the name, I was surprised by just cutting apart the sky and letting the night back in.

Also slightly miffed about bringing back the day/night cycle, I'd been a little stoked about not having to light my drat screenshots.

:sickos:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dareon posted:

ShB is good and all but it’s super lame they only show that once

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zenos called me out for doing savage raids

Also the reason that the first dialogue option is canon is that it makes your wol do a cool smirk and none of the others do

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Only the most uncool of WoLs would do that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

It's a really striking effect.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Failboattootoot posted:

Speaking of Dalamud, I seem to get getting a consistent crash in euphrosyne during the trash right before the 3rd boss and it is slowly driving me crazy. Not sure if it's actually plugin related since I got a bunch of dx 11 errors and still crashed out when I took the option to boot with dalamud completely disabled so I dunno if it's Dalamud or FF.

Vitamean posted:

try doing a file check.

I was going to suggest the file check as well. It's why I initially downloaded XIV Launcher; doing Panda 2 Normal made my computer crash (not Savage though) so I ran the checker and it found a corrupt file. I asked a friend to send me his non-corrupt file to replace my corrupt one and P2N was fine after that.

After that I figured I should just start using mods since I had such easy access and now I'll never go back. You'll never make me willingly listen to Close in the Distance again I'm so sick of that song

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

Just another reason ShB is the dopest poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kerrzhe posted:

I'm only gonna try to argue this point once before moving on, because I admit my argument is not particularly well-baked (hence why I didn't actually try to do said rewrite). Not gonna try to defend it, either. Spoiler-tagging all this so that I can talk freely without spoiling the guy that's only up to 5.0, but also for all of you who don't care to be able to more easily skip it instead.

His central motivation makes sense when it comes down to the absolute simplest possible point: he's a Fight Idiot keeps wanting to go up against the greatest challenge, which happens to be us. Okay, that's fair, he's basically Samurai Vegeta, although I'd argue they didn't do well at showing that we were a challenge enough to excite him anyway until the last possible second. But there's also an element of ennui and depression about him; that he feels very emotionally empty because he doesn't find any challenge whatsoever until he meets us. The short stories about him also reflect this to be a product of the abuse he suffered at the hands of the main who trained him as a child; all that combined brings a bit of a melancholic, bittersweet edge to his final scene in Stormblood; he's a deeply troubled and broken man, and likely one that was always going to die like this somehow, but at least in his final end he's found a semblance of joy, as troubling as it is; it seems like it's supposed to be a tragedy of sorts. All that actually adds to when Elidibus swipes his body, because it underlines that he was turned into a weapon by people who ultimately never cared about him as anything else.

...but what did bringing back the guy himself do? Functionally it makes sense, we know how he did it, but does his story benefit from continuing like that? But sure, now that you've done it, do a vengeance thing against Varis, that makes some sense. And then... uhm. Why exactly he burned down the empire remains a mystery to me; I get that he has no real interest in ruling, but I don't know why he burned the whole place to the ground or continued sitting around as Fandaniel went around doing his Fandaniel Thing--and honestly it feels like Zenos didn't know either. Is it to hunt the bigger game of Zodiark, or was it to rematch with us? Either one feels like there should've been an easier way to do this.

Endwalker tries to put him back in the rival role; as said before, 'spoiling for a rematch but constantly stymied because we've got bigger fish to fry'. And this time, as I've said, I'd say that his overall Endwalker character arc is to reject a redemption arc; he shows he can be a good person, he can fight to protect people and to beat a greater foe, first in the Garlemald revisit and then in The Final Day, but ultimately decides that he doesn't want that; he wants to be an rear end in a top hat and go out in a blaze of antagonistic glory. And I'd say that Zenos as a whole is at his strongest in that period between the end of Elpis and the credits rolling for that reason; you actually see his growth, as relatively spartan as that is. But it brings two issues with what came before:
1. Just what the gently caress were they trying to do with him in the first part of Endwalker? In from the Cold is absolutely the huge landmark of that question here; not only does it cross a moral event horizon for a lot of people (including myself, but I wasn't exactly thinking fondly of him in the first place), it also just doesn't really fit into the character arcs of... really, anyone involved; I don't think it feels like a Zenos or Fandaniel plan, and it definitely doesn't do much to tell our story. It just feels like a weird diversion to the point where I genuinely do believe it was a relic of an earlier draft that did more legwork to explain/justify it. Yes, some people might be right that it was probably trying to get at 'Zenos felt shackled by his lovely body, let's see how you handle it', but it really didn't do the work to get there, nor does it really seem to care what conclusions might've been raised.
2. How does this all fit with what Stormblood put forward, given Endwalker never addressed them? Stormblood seemed to be trying to put him forward as a tragic figure and victim of a terrible system (granted, to nebulous success), and whose ending wasn't really ideal for him but was probably the only way this road could've ended. What does bringing him back, and then giving him the freedom to choose his road only to end at the same destination really do, except cheapen those tragic elements by not acknowledging them?

Throughout all three expansions, yes, Zenos remains the rival, and remains having that central core motivation of 'FIGHT ME BITCH'. That can make it easy to miss the fact that nothing else really remains all that consistent, with the 'why' of it all shifting without much exploration at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dareon posted:

i was not entirely in to bringing the night cycle back because I'm one of those full bright people

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You bring back the night cycle so the forest music can chill out.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Cleretic posted:

2. How does this all fit with what Stormblood put forward, given Endwalker never addressed them? Stormblood seemed to be trying to put him forward as a tragic figure and victim of a terrible system (granted, to nebulous success), and whose ending wasn't really ideal for him but was probably the only way this road could've ended. What does bringing him back, and then giving him the freedom to choose his road only to end at the same destination really do, except cheapen those tragic elements by not acknowledging them?

Outside of the player, Zenos is the only character in Endwalker who's there by choice. He exists in counterpart to the player, as someone who seeks out adventures by choice (you did by playing, even if your WoL is a pacifist whatever etc), and to the Ancients, who choose reincarnation (or escape the cycle) over coming back to life. Zenos is born a hostile man into a hostile world, finds one thing he likes despite all of that, and then dies. Miraculously, he is given another chance at life, and he chooses a painful life again and a painful death again because both are worthwhile in the pursuit of his joy, which is a core concern for Endwalker. He insists on drinking life to the lees, no matter the cost to others or even to himself (he isn't even really surprised when you beat him, he knew the score all along and that his immediate death was the most likely outcome of you two fighting again). Rather than cheapen the tragic elements, it deepens them by affirming his agency and humanity, lending greater weight and in some lights a certain dignity to his refusal to choose a different path.

I don't think too much about in from the cold aside from "oh no they're doing a villainy", but if I had to start an analysis I'd probably focus on how Zenos is obsessed with the issue of why you choose heroism, and he separates you from the body that is your weapon to see if you would still be the Warrior of Light without winning the genetic/aetheric lottery, just as he discovered he was still the hunter even without his own body (which was in many ways the most omnipresent memento and significant creation of the violent Garlean machine that shaped his life). I'd argue most of the frustration around it comes from the fact that they clearly miscalibrated in terms of how legitimately hosed up some players would find it, rather than any thematic issue. taken in a broad view, the fact that the villain who declared his intent to body snatch god then does a body snatching sequence on you that both further explores the damage he's done to his own people and echoes his own existential body snatching journey back to life really doesn't seem all that thematically dissonant. also it seems good in the expansion about making sense of senseless suffering to maybe put the hero in a bit of senseless peril.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 24, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i agree with Valentin and will let his points stand instead of writing my own poo poo cause i gotta go to bed, but i will point out one thing:

i'm pretty sure Zenos didn't burn down the empire himself. the power vacuum of the dead emperor caused everyone else to start fighting over who would succeed, and that's what did most of the damage. Zenos is responsible in that he didn't step up and take the throne, because he didn't give a poo poo. presumably that all happened during ShB while we were away on the First. and then Fandaniel took the bones of a mostly-dead empire and cobbled them together into his Tower to truly seal the deal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cleretic posted:

If I were trying to 'fix' Zenos' story

We're not, Zenos rules. Sorry haters

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cleretic posted:

...but what did bringing back the guy himself do? Functionally it makes sense, we know how he did it, but does his story benefit from continuing like that? But sure, now that you've done it, do a vengeance thing against Varis, that makes some sense. And then... uhm. Why exactly he burned down the empire remains a mystery to me; I get that he has no real interest in ruling, but I don't know why he burned the whole place to the ground or continued sitting around as Fandaniel went around doing his Fandaniel Thing--and honestly it feels like Zenos didn't know either. Is it to hunt the bigger game of Zodiark, or was it to rematch with us? Either one feels like there should've been an easier way to do this.

Pretty sure he's burning the empire down as an extension of killing his father, as a deliberate choice to spit in the eye of the whole system that's harmed him. One of the big themes of Stormblood is that everyone involved in the Garlean military complex is a victim of the same misery machine, even the imperial family, but Varis and Zenos are a study in contrasts: Varis as a man who is absolutely unwilling to let go of the idea that it must mean something, that Garlean victory must be somehow worthwhile even knowing it's an Ascian plot (because otherwise he has to admit the extent that his life and struggle has been pointless), and Zenos as the next step in that abuse chain, who's sufficiently wounded that he can't possibly maintain the delusion. Besides, why the gently caress wouldn't he burn it down? What possible reason does this dude, who is a raging revenge machine against everyone who stole both his life and his chosen death from him and is also just a "solve problems by razing nations to the ground" guy in general, have to argue for Garlemald's continued existence?

It's also important to remember that Zenos represents the solution to the looming Eighth Umbral Era. Killing Varis prevents the immediate deployment of Black Rose (which it's pretty clear Varis would drop at the first sign of sustained losses against the Alliance), but if you maintain Garlemald as a limping and embattled military power even without Varis there, you're still pretty likely to see Black Rose hit the field. Zenos breaking the poo poo out of it is probably the only way for destiny to actually be changed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zenos: The Warrior of Light is cool and good and my first and best friend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kerrzhe posted:

i agree with Valentin and will let his points stand instead of writing my own poo poo cause i gotta go to bed, but i will point out one thing:

i'm pretty sure Zenos didn't burn down the empire himself. the power vacuum of the dead emperor caused everyone else to start fighting over who would succeed, and that's what did most of the damage. Zenos is responsible in that he didn't step up and take the throne, because he didn't give a poo poo. presumably that all happened during ShB while we were away on the First. and then Fandaniel took the bones of a mostly-dead empire and cobbled them together into his Tower to truly seal the deal.

Zenos killed Varis, he doesn't get a pass on not filling a power vacuum he caused. I assume you forgot, or fell for propaganda that Gaius did it. :wink:

Zenos also gave free rein to Fandaniel to sponsor both sides of a civil war and then enslave, torture and kill the populace. So not only did he cause it but his complete ennui to the aftermath is pretty heinous, if we even accept that he didn't have a *direct* hand in it, except the two are working together in everything but true professional organization.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Electric Phantasm posted:

You bring back the night cycle so the forest music can chill out.

la HEE

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Cleretic posted:

Because to be completely honest, I feel like Zenos either never had a singular consistent mission statement as a character, or the writers were really bad at conveying the one that they had.

How is this possible

Zenos told you what the gently caress he was all about in his first scene in the game, and he was still about that one thing even at the literal edge of the universe four in real life years later

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm only gonna try to argue this point once before moving on, because I admit my argument is not particularly well-baked (hence why I didn't actually try to do said rewrite). Not gonna try to defend it, either. Spoiler-tagging all this so that I can talk freely without spoiling the guy that's only up to 5.0, but also for all of you who don't care to be able to more easily skip it instead.

His central motivation makes sense when it comes down to the absolute simplest possible point: he's a Fight Idiot keeps wanting to go up against the greatest challenge, which happens to be us. Okay, that's fair, he's basically Samurai Vegeta, although I'd argue they didn't do well at showing that we were a challenge enough to excite him anyway until the last possible second. But there's also an element of ennui and depression about him; that he feels very emotionally empty because he doesn't find any challenge whatsoever until he meets us. The short stories about him also reflect this to be a product of the abuse he suffered at the hands of the main who trained him as a child; all that combined brings a bit of a melancholic, bittersweet edge to his final scene in Stormblood; he's a deeply troubled and broken man, and likely one that was always going to die like this somehow, but at least in his final end he's found a semblance of joy, as troubling as it is; it seems like it's supposed to be a tragedy of sorts. All that actually adds to when Elidibus swipes his body, because it underlines that he was turned into a weapon by people who ultimately never cared about him as anything else.

Endwalker tries to put him back in the rival role; as said before, 'spoiling for a rematch but constantly stymied because we've got bigger fish to fry'. And this time, as I've said, I'd say that his overall Endwalker character arc is to reject a redemption arc; he shows he can be a good person, he can fight to protect people and to beat a greater foe, first in the Garlemald revisit and then in The Final Day, but ultimately decides that he doesn't want that; he wants to be an rear end in a top hat and go out in a blaze of antagonistic glory. And I'd say that Zenos as a whole is at his strongest in that period between the end of Elpis and the credits rolling for that reason; you actually see his growth, as relatively spartan as that is. But it brings two issues with what came before:
1. Just what the gently caress were they trying to do with him in the first part of Endwalker? In from the Cold is absolutely the huge landmark of that question here; not only does it cross a moral event horizon for a lot of people (including myself, but I wasn't exactly thinking fondly of him in the first place), it also just doesn't really fit into the character arcs of... really, anyone involved; I don't think it feels like a Zenos or Fandaniel plan, and it definitely doesn't do much to tell our story. It just feels like a weird diversion to the point where I genuinely do believe it was a relic of an earlier draft that did more legwork to explain/justify it. Yes, some people might be right that it was probably trying to get at 'Zenos felt shackled by his lovely body, let's see how you handle it', but it really didn't do the work to get there, nor does it really seem to care what conclusions might've been raised.

Throughout all three expansions, yes, Zenos remains the rival, and remains having that central core motivation of 'FIGHT ME BITCH'. That can make it easy to miss the fact that nothing else really remains all that consistent, with the 'why' of it all shifting without much exploration at all.

This is a lot of words for a point that is instantly rebutted By the direct statements of that character almost every time he shows up over multiple expansions. Even down to the Themes and meta contextual levels.

The final two scenes with this character have him directly to the player and the WoL to say the how's and why's and the wherefore of him being part of the narrative, why him being there at the end, his previous mindset and goals and actions and the connection he desperately seeks with you, what he wants to give you and why he sees value in it. And afterward, you see him ruminating on how hollow it is while asking about your connections and experiences and all but directly says he wishes that maybe things would have been different.

Fittingly for the character, the story lays everything about him so blatant and bare that it's almost disgusting and annoying. There's no question as to his point into the story.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I've never bought the whole "Varis and Zenos are victims of generational abuse" thing, to be honest. Varis, I can believe more, but Zenos? Saying Zenos is a victim and was made who he was by abuse, based on what I know of his upbringing, is like saying that that kid in Texas who ran over a bunch of cyclists while trying to roll coal over them is a victim of his upbringing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cleretic posted:

Okay, that's fair, he's basically Samurai Vegeta, although I'd argue they didn't do well at showing that we were a challenge enough to excite him anyway until the last possible second.

Is EW or Shinryuu the last possible second, because one is a bit later than the other and he's thrilled by that point, especially after the first two meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Fivemarks posted:

I've never bought the whole "Varis and Zenos are victims of generational abuse" thing, to be honest. Varis, I can believe more, but Zenos? Saying Zenos is a victim and was made who he was by abuse, based on what I know of his upbringing, is like saying that that kid in Texas who ran over a bunch of cyclists while trying to roll coal over them is a victim of his upbringing.

Zenos literally was raised by a dude who was forced on pain of death to teach him swordsmanship but allowed to beat him when he hosed up technique