Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah but it suuuuuucks. Hopefully whoever's testing that $520 Delta gets a good result.

:siren: ML30 GANG :siren:

The fan finally came in today.

And it works!

Here is the exact auction I bought mine from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333474156881

The only issue is that the cable is really short on it. It's way too short to reach the front mounting point on the case, so I just jammed it up against the mobo and slipped the fan ducting on over it to kind of hold it in place. Seems to be working pretty well, but I'll probably break out the soldering iron and extend the wires at some point.

e: Unrelated to the fan, but does the Intelligent Provisioning work on anyone's ML30? Mine has errors when I try to get to it in the BIOS with F10.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Matt Zerella posted:

There should be a setting in the cache drive for "minimum space" so when it's hit, the mover starts plunking stuff on the array.

there is, I have that set now lol

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

waffle enthusiast posted:

Any reason not to go with WD Red Plus 5400 rpm drives if I’m on a gigabit Ethernet connection (plus WiFi 6 for things). I’m looking at picking up a 923+ for Photo and file storage, and light Plex duty (will run it off my PC if transcoding becomes a problem).

I have that model and have been happy so far.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Any reason not to go with WD Red Plus 5400 rpm drives if I’m on a gigabit Ethernet connection (plus WiFi 6 for things). I’m looking at picking up a 923+ for Photo and file storage, and light Plex duty (will run it off my PC if transcoding becomes a problem).

Very happy with mine. Haven't tried Plex though. I also use the WD Red Plus 5400 RPM drives and they're pretty quiet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SpartanIvy posted:

:siren: ML30 GANG :siren:

The fan finally came in today.

And it works!

Here is the exact auction I bought mine from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333474156881

The only issue is that the cable is really short on it. It's way too short to reach the front mounting point on the case, so I just jammed it up against the mobo and slipped the fan ducting on over it to kind of hold it in place. Seems to be working pretty well, but I'll probably break out the soldering iron and extend the wires at some point.

e: Unrelated to the fan, but does the Intelligent Provisioning work on anyone's ML30? Mine has errors when I try to get to it in the BIOS with F10.

Hell yeah dude! Thanks for being the canary on this one.

I think my intelligent provisioning works, it at least opens.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I have learned that firmware updates are not your friend on armbian, lol. I'm going to try XCFE this time around, cinnamon was a bit of a hassle since the userbase is smaller, just little problems around setting up tightvnc.

So far so good getting the hardware to work otherwise. Ram is good, SATA card talks properly, boots from emmc. I read on the slackware distribution install that there are wear problems? I thought mmc was optimized better than SD cards but maybe not that much?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vaporware posted:

I'm going to try XCFE this time around, cinnamon was a bit of a hassle since the userbase is smaller, just little problems around setting up tightvnc.

If this is going to be a NAS you really want to move away from a desktop environment entirely and do everything by SSH into a command line.

(Windows has SSH built in now, you don't need putty or whatever.)

Vaporware posted:

So far so good getting the hardware to work otherwise. Ram is good, SATA card talks properly, boots from emmc. I read on the slackware distribution install that there are wear problems? I thought mmc was optimized better than SD cards but maybe not that much?

eMMC is basically just an integrated SD card, and they're generally made with meh flash. Also they're tiny -- a lot of the endurance of normal SSDs comes from having a lot of flash to spread the wear around on.

The thing that makes eMMC much more reliable than SD cards is that they're not killed by a power failure at the wrong time.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hey Thread, I'm looking to build a cheap NAS to use some spare parts and give away to a family member or friend. I have a GT710 graphics card, a 1.6 TB PCIE NVME drive, and would like to throw in a large HDD as well. Does anyone have any leads on used small servers or barebones systems that might fit those parts (specifically, at least 2 PCIE slots)?

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 16, 2023

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Klyith posted:

If this is going to be a NAS you really want to move away from a desktop environment entirely and do everything by SSH into a command line.

(Windows has SSH built in now, you don't need putty or whatever.)

I'm working on it, I managed to generate ssh keys and use that instead of a pw this time around, but I'm still finding myself falling back to graphical tools sometimes simply because I don't even know how to phrase a question to search for.

For instance this time around my SATA card ASM1062 is recognized and appears under (specific ls-pci command I can't remember) but there are no disks under lsblk. So I spent an hour last night poking around disk manager packages to see if there was an easy fix.

I'm also thinking whatever stable branch of armbian I'm on isn't so stable for my particular card. There are 3 firmware pieces. Linux-headers-current-rockchip64 isn't the problem, but might be why the sata isn't there. Two others linux-dtb-current-rockchip64 and linux-image-current-rockchip64 seem to break the install when I updated them per the troubleshooting guidelines lol.

I suppose I'll need to look up how to roll those back in the apt command if it ever finishes booting. something seems to be stuck looping

edit:boots up fine without sata card. I'll try with the M2 card and see what happens. Now I need to figure out how to gather logs and submit a bug report since this is the "supported" and current build.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Hey Thread, I'm looking to build a cheap NAS to use some spare parts and give away to a family member or friend. I have a GT710 graphics card, a 1.6 TB PCIE NVME drive, and would like to throw in a large HDD as well. Does anyone have any leads on used small servers or barebones systems that might fit those parts (specifically, at least 2 PCIE slots)?

I'd say refurb SFF PC all the way but one with an m2 slot is probably going to be challenging for low cost. Do you need to use the nvme drive or could you go grab a cheap SATA SSD instead? Is the 710 low profile?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Aware posted:

I'd say refurb SFF PC all the way but one with an m2 slot is probably going to be challenging for low cost. Do you need to use the nvme drive or could you go grab a cheap SATA SSD instead? Is the 710 low profile?

The 710 low profile and the NVME is actually a PCIE drive but can be low profile also. I think you're right, probably just a refurb HP or Dell is the way to go.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
To be honest the drive sounds like a total waste in a load end NAS vs a cheap 256gb sata SSD for OS/cache and most of these refurb SFF PC's are going to support quicksync for transcoding as well so you may not even really need the 710, though it won't hurt for transcoding instead if you prefer.

Infact booting off a pcie device like that may also be problematic for these boxes but I have zero experience there. I see some discussion about having to use Clover to boot from them instead on older optiplex models for example.

Aware fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 16, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a recommended solution for dumping photos off iCloud and syncing to your NAS? My wife and I have about 500-600gb of photos and videos between our two iCloud accounts, and my hope was to be able to seamlessly sync it all to the NAS and reduce our subscriptions (though tbh I would also be ok with still paying for them and just having the pictures on local-to-me storage as well)

I had found something called iclouddb in docker images, but I wasn’t sure if it was a very sophisticated way to own myself or not, and Photos.app gets very upset if you try to point the photos library to a network drive instead of some kind of physically connected device like an external storage

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Here are some options I've been toying with:

NextCloud

Photoprism

Piwigo

Lychee

LibrePhotos

Have only just begun to research them. I don't have a clue how well any of these work.

I've also heard good things about Synology Photos but I'm not on that platform.

edit1: Hey there's a thread where the other nerds talk about this a lot.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 17, 2023

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Icloudpd have worked well for me. Granted I only have 100gb of iCloud photos but I think you should still be fine. You can choose how often it shall sync, folder structure, convert heic to jpeg etc.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fully sick, i'll check that thread out as well.

e; oh derp i thought that's where i was :shobon:

Thanks!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I setup photoprism last week and used Google takeout to get all my old photos into it. PhotoSync on android is a bit of a pain but works fine with WebDAV/CloudFlare proxy/nginx to sync my photos from my phone back to it. It seems fast. I like it sofar and the face detection works well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren: ML30 gang :siren:

the ML110 fan works without issue for a front fan, almost works with the slide in mount too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392024908879

I offered $17 and they took it fwiw

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
4 days of replacing one drive at a time and re-adding two back in, the ML30 has reached its final form

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
What is the write count on your cache pool mirror?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

e.pilot posted:

4 days of replacing one drive at a time and re-adding two back in, the ML30 has reached its final form

How did you do 6 drives? Two in the 5.25 bays?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
yup

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh neat. Synology Drive will sync my Lightroom catalog file just fine, but balks at all the other .lrcat files/folders. I assume there’s no easy fix to tell it to “just sync everything in a folder, irrespective of read-onlyness or other attributes or naming conventions.”

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

e.pilot posted:

:siren: ML30 gang :siren:

the ML110 fan works without issue for a front fan, almost works with the slide in mount too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392024908879

I offered $17 and they took it fwiw

I bought this as well and holy gently caress is it loud. It also moves a poo poo load of air. I would recommend it if your server is nowhere near you, but mine is under my desk for now so I will be removing this fan for the time being and stick it back in after I move it into my closet.

I also had to remove the little notch from the connector to get it to seat fully, and I feel like you oversold the carriage fitting into the ML30, but it does kinda fit. I'll probably hot glue it in when I'm ready to reinstall the fan.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What do you folks recommend for a UPS? I saw synology had a heap of recommended ones that “work with” synology, but unless I don’t fully understand the features of a ups, shouldn’t they work with any?

E; oh you can plug in via usb or connect on the network to sync a safe shutdown, neato bandito

nerox
May 20, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What do you folks recommend for a UPS? I saw synology had a heap of recommended ones that “work with” synology, but unless I don’t fully understand the features of a ups, shouldn’t they work with any?

Any UPS will work provided it can power the server. The "work with Synology" bit is because some UPS have a usb port that will report its percentage to the server and if the battery hits a certain threshold, will shutdown the server rather than risk letting the server go down because it loses power.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm gonna eventually be buying a pair of either 8 or 10tb drives to add to my Unraid Server, given past good experiences I was likely going to get WD ones. I wasn't really clear on what was really necessary / important in that regard for drive RPM speeds (5400 vs 7200 for example) and if the different Western Digital color types were even worth considering or not. The Unraid NAS is just for very rarely used files for a backup and its main regular use case is to store videos for a separate Plex media server. Everything is connected on a wired 1gb network.

Should I just grab the cheapest / TB WD drive of any flavor and go with that or do I need to really consider the NAS specific WD "Red" drives for example?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

That Works posted:

I'm gonna eventually be buying a pair of either 8 or 10tb drives to add to my Unraid Server, given past good experiences I was likely going to get WD ones. I wasn't really clear on what was really necessary / important in that regard for drive RPM speeds (5400 vs 7200 for example) and if the different Western Digital color types were even worth considering or not. The Unraid NAS is just for very rarely used files for a backup and its main regular use case is to store videos for a separate Plex media server. Everything is connected on a wired 1gb network.

Should I just grab the cheapest / TB WD drive of any flavor and go with that or do I need to really consider the NAS specific WD "Red" drives for example?

slower drives will be quieter, gigabit will be the bottleneck either way

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

E; oh you can plug in via usb or connect on the network to sync a safe shutdown, neato bandito

I have gone through 3x 1U Cyberpower UPS units over the years, they seem to regularly poo poo the bed around two years. Switched over to APC recently and have been very happy so far, but haven't had it long enough to gauge reliability.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also some UPSs that have a usb output use some bs proprietary software that you can't connect up to just anything - I bought a cheap amazonbasics UPS a couple years ago and it only worked with Windows. Was fine for providing power in an outage at least though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That Works posted:

This hasn't been linked in a while: https://shucks.top/

Right now, shucking a 14tb drive is the best bang for buck. IMO if performance was important, you should spend the money on SSDs instead of faster spinning disks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
And have an APC on mine that will poo poo every 2 months or so. Just sits there and screams and blinks while everything is running fine. Have to shut it off to make it stop.
Not sure why it’s switching to battery and not switching back but it makes me mad and I’ll probably have to trash it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since the topic of UPS' came up, now's an excellent time to mention nut.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CopperHound posted:

This hasn't been linked in a while: https://shucks.top/

Right now, shucking a 14tb drive is the best bang for buck. IMO if performance was important, you should spend the money on SSDs instead of faster spinning disks.

Thanks. Performance isn’t that big a deal for this one so just going for cheapest buy volume that isn’t a piece of junk.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a cyberpower 155 ups but have heard they can catastrophically fail and even catch fire so I would probably go APC next.

Maybe Tripp Lite?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

Maybe Tripp Lite?
Right now I am 3/3 on Tripp Lite 2U UPSes that I've installed for clients failing such that they present over USB as 100% charged and no faults, but don't actually work when they try to switch to battery.

Tripp Lite has a great reputation in the power protection world but my experience with their UPSes has been firmly negative.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
In my experience APC are pretty good, Eaton is great (but also more expensive). I got gifted a higher-end consumer level Cyberpower and had nothing but issues with it and I definitely wouldn't trust it on when I wasn't home lol.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eaton or bust for UPS.

Be prepared to pay accordingly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

Right now I am 3/3 on Tripp Lite 2U UPSes that I've installed for clients failing such that they present over USB as 100% charged and no faults, but don't actually work when they try to switch to battery.

Tripp Lite has a great reputation in the power protection world but my experience with their UPSes has been firmly negative.

Anything that doesn't have an actual self test where it switches to battery power and in which this test is being run regularly is simply lying to you about knowing it's health status.

Just like anything that doesn't have a runtime calibration feature where it switches to battery to measure how quickly the batteries are draining is lying to you about how long it's going to last under current load unless the batteries are literally factory fresh in the last week.

Small UPSes are terrible about having these things. Even when you get into rackmount size ones you're gonna have to pay for APC or better to get this. And potentially spend several hundred more on a network/management card for it to have these features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
There's no way the cost-benefit ratio for buying a UPS works out for anyone that isn't being literally charged money for having downtime, so I suggest you don't care about features or reliability and just buy whichever one looks coolest in your price range and hope it doesn't burn your house down.