Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They released our comp worksheets today. Not sure they meant to yet, but I was able to pull all of them down for my team. Turns out that they funded bonuses about 20% higher than they had initially let on, which means that everyone on my team got AT LEAST their target amount, and quite a few people pulled in 30% more than their bonus target.

No idea what this means for me, but given the conversations I've had with my boss, I think I'm going to be pretty happy when these pay in out in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

You might be in the same place but if we came to visit we’d likely need both passports just to be safe, because both Japan and the US are countries that require dual citizens to enter on that passport instead of their other one. I need a little bit more of a break after doing my own paperwork before sticking my hand back in the bureaucracy woodchipper sounds like fun (at least I never have to get a visa here again).

My buddy lives in Australia, and coming back to the US with his toddler for the first time this summer. 14 hours in the air for just one flight. Thailand can’t be easier, don’t think anybody in the US does BKK direct do they (LAX)?

My wife has been on the ball about getting him a Thai passport, so that shouldn't be a problem. As for direct flights there certainly aren't any stateside that I've taken, I always have a layover somewhere in Asia (which I don't mind unless it's in Beijing, gently caress that airport). If her parents' flight over here last year is any indication, I'll probably have a layover in Doha this time which will be a new experience.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

who has two thumbs and didn't set their withholding correctly when they changed jobs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew, I have what I am assuming until proven otherwise is just a cold but I'm doing stuff like waking myself up coughing and having sneezing fits. They're productive coughs so that annoys me less than the alternative, but I don't like waking myself up coughing. Also I don't know if this is true for everyone but every time I sneeze there is a chance some joint on my body just decides it no longer works for a few minutes and wants to cause me harm.

It's not that bad, but I've got some snot and tears and general goo going on in several different ways and would prefer not to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If her parents' flight over here last year is any indication, I'll probably have a layover in Doha this time which will be a new experience.

If it’s anything like Dubai’s Emirates terminal, it would be described as opulent. That place is seriously nice.

At least my family will be coming to visit soon - first time seeing both since fall 2019, and for them to meet the little one.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

who has two thumbs and didn't set their withholding correctly when they changed jobs

I've been trying to dial it back in since the loving Trump tax bill. Guy royally dicked everything up and Dark Brandon's year of prepaying child tax credits seems like it was more a scheme to keep H&R Block in business.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just upped my withholding this morning. I usually owe money, and getting rid of all of my various deductions has kind of goofed up how much I owe each year. My company also reimburses me for car expenses, which is taxable, but they don’t withhold taxes for that, so I always have to withhold extra from my regular paycheck to offset that.

In conclusion, doing my taxes kind of sucks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

They released our comp worksheets today. Not sure they meant to yet, but I was able to pull all of them down for my team. Turns out that they funded bonuses about 20% higher than they had initially let on, which means that everyone on my team got AT LEAST their target amount, and quite a few people pulled in 30% more than their bonus target.

No idea what this means for me, but given the conversations I've had with my boss, I think I'm going to be pretty happy when these pay in out in a few weeks.

Congrats. I had the realization this week that even if I kick rear end in my own territory, the overall division's bonus factor still tanks your payout :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I also got my salary letter for this year, got exceed expectations somehow. Getting a smallish raise to base salary (this was expected since I got a promo last year which gave me a 20% increase) but the nice thing is they've doubled my stock payout.

I was expecting worse so that's nice.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I did my taxes awhile ago and they gave me back some my money.

I require more money.

I require more vespene gas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Somewhat sick and watching Rodney Dangerfield somehow out of nowhere.

'The other day I talked to a little girl and asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up.

She looked at my wife. She said 'single.''

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Atomic Heart (free on game pass) and the main characters voice actor is garbage enough that I might stop playing. Which is sad because the game seems pretty interesting so far

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

Ugh, just got home and it's -20. Thankfully tomorrow should be the last of the super cold bullshit. The extended forecast shows low 30s and I'm excited for it.

Our reward after the 15" snowfall Tuesday through Thursday was it being -4F, at least according to my car on the drive into work. It will be increasing all day to be more reasonable for the weekend, but it was a pretty funny little knife twist.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Disco Elysium is so loving good and exactly what I was hoping for. Dark as hell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Disco Elysium is so loving good and exactly what I was hoping for. Dark as hell.

When I run this back I sort of want to play hard, unapologetic drunk cop to see how that goes.

It's really an impressive feat this game was ever made.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

:respek: it really is right?

Based on how it works I'm sure it has a lot of replayability but I've had no desire to replay it. Just one canonical run, no savescumming, take the dice as they roll, no going back. IMO that's the right attitude for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, all the creative leads of the project being forced out by a hostile takeover, ensuring we'll never get a Disco Elysium 2 is also so very Disco Elysium.

Sigh.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

Based on how it works I'm sure it has a lot of replayability but I've had no desire to replay it. Just one canonical run, no savescumming, take the dice as they roll, no going back. IMO that's the right attitude for it.

That’s how I’m doing it. I do want to go back and play it as scummy as possible but may not because it’s so dense.

I find myself trying to be better and good though? Pure opposite impulse compared to the sheer depravity I sink to in RDR.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Folks, I keep hearing that Google has been ruined recently by ads and SEO.

Can you explain why? Everything seems to be roughly the same for me. I use ad blocker and I guess I usually search some niche stuff so it’s easy to find.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Blizzard seems to be assassinating Pro SC2

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

I think the focus on different skills makes it different enough to do replays, but 100% agree on no savescumming and taking the dice as they fall. It would make succeeding on my 18% chance to spin-kick Measurehead a lot less enjoyable if it took five times to get it to happen.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
One week until my fluffy cat gets groomed and he's in full shedding mode so it can't be here soon enough. Just getting fistfulls of loose hair when he's brushed right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Can you explain why? Everything seems to be roughly the same for me. I use ad blocker and I guess I usually search some niche stuff so it’s easy to find.

I also use an adblocker so I don't know that part of it from the user side, but the other part is more that the algorithm turns up search results that favor either google itself or other alphabet companies and almost no one goes to the second page of results looking up "Thai food" or whatever.

It's not great, it's not horrible for a user experience quite yet. But it's squeezing out little things. If I wanted to make a site to talk about stupid sports things...say you are specifically looking for 1980's Chiefs defensive backfields which is one of my specialties. Well that probably won't end up on the first page of results no matter how much work I put in making it the best site in the world talking about Deron Cherry and Lloyd Burruss and how strongly I try to make it specifically about that. Now if I make a youtube channel about it I'm in, but if I for some reason do not want to do that I'm not getting special treatment.

e: At least as I understand it that is, not like I'm putting together any sites or worrying about this personally.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 24, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Grittybeard posted:

I also use an adblocker so I don't know that part of it from the user side, but the other part is more that the algorithm turns up search results that favor either google itself or other alphabet companies and almost no one goes to the second page of results looking up "Thai food" or whatever.

It's not great, it's not horrible for a user experience quite yet. But it's squeezing out little things. If I wanted to make a site to talk about stupid sports things...say you are specifically looking for 1980's Chiefs defensive backfields which is one of my specialties. Well that probably won't end up on the first page of results no matter how much work I put in making it the best site in the world talking about Deron Cherry and Lloyd Burruss and how strongly I try to make it specifically about that. Now if I make a youtube channel about it I'm in, but if I for some reason do not want to do that I'm not getting special treatment.

It’s both this and the fact that the algorithm is being manipulated by poo poo-level websites that are populating their pages with garbage either written by chatGPT or somebody getting paid pennies to bang out cheap fill. It’s why on almost every search by like the 8th result you’ll start getting pages like “lots of people are asking about how old Ross from friends is. Ross from Friends is played by Matthew Schwimmer and Matthew Schwimmer is 52 years old. So, Ross from friends is 52 years old”.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948906657878016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I honestly didn't realize the example would actually be Thai food.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always find this kinda stuff real demoralising.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Google also redirects you when you choose "order online" to delivery services that have paid them to advertise.

I always go to restaurant websites to order directly from them or with their preferred service.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Google also redirects you when you choose "order online" to delivery services that have paid them to advertise.

I always go to restaurant websites to order directly from them or with their preferred service.

if you click through, the point of the rant is that there are fake websites pretending to be the restarurant's website, intercepting orders for them to tack on money and then send the order through so you're none the wiser; and they're paying to be top ranked by google

the only way to be sure without doing domain name lookups and poo poo is to call the restaurant and place your order over the phone

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m like 10s away from Old Man Yelling at Cloud territory, but like no loving restaurant delivers their own food anymore and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Blizzard seems to be assassinating Pro SC2

Yeah RIP Korean sc2 scene

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

drat Google sucks

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

I’m like 10s away from Old Man Yelling at Cloud territory, but like no loving restaurant delivers their own food anymore and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

A fair amount of pizza places in Chicago still run their own delivery guys, but that’s like it. I’ve been trying to get pickup as much as possible and avoiding delivery because it costs way too much money, and is horribly unreliable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Playing Atomic Heart (free on game pass) and the main characters voice actor is garbage enough that I might stop playing. Which is sad because the game seems pretty interesting so far

Hi-Fi Rush is also on Gamepass and so incredibly good if you are looking for something that plays in the vein of a Devil May Cry but with a sunnier aesthetic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

A fair amount of pizza places in Chicago still run their own delivery guys, but that’s like it. I’ve been trying to get pickup as much as possible and avoiding delivery because it costs way too much money, and is horribly unreliable.

Yeah, the pizza places here in Dubuque all have their own delivery drivers, but I can't think of any other place that does.

And the worst part is that the fees that companies like UberEats, Grubhub, et al. charge the restaurants are so exorbitant that the restaurant is most likely breaking even or even losing money on your order.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My fluffy boy cat did a real number on my hand today and he's lucky he's adorable and his revenge groom is next week.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

if you click through, the point of the rant is that there are fake websites pretending to be the restarurant's website, intercepting orders for them to tack on money and then send the order through so you're none the wiser; and they're paying to be top ranked by google

the only way to be sure without doing domain name lookups and poo poo is to call the restaurant and place your order over the phone

What is our proof that these scam websites are paying Google?

Also - i am 100% going to get scammed when I’m an elder. Assuming I live to be that old.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Also - i am 100% going to get scammed when I’m an elder. Assuming I live to be that old.

Where they appear on searches.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yelp was found to be doing this several years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

It literally says "sponsored ad" in the screen shot.