Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

what the gently caress are you holding in these screens? looks like a bundle of sheet metal. are you fabbing up some body panels for your samurai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why is everyone so excited by what looks like another run-of-the-mill treepuncher?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Did get a fair amount of enjoyment in the first one before the beefier enemies started wrecking our base without any real sense you could do much about it. Gave up pretty much instantly at that point.

The body horror aesthetic was an interesting enough hook at the time. I assume that's a lot of the reason for it's success as the first game didn't do anything unique with it's mechanics (certainly not with what's available now anyway). It's probably a good streamer game?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Ark. It's like Ark in the Predator universe. It has a delightful amount of jank at the moment.

Ahh drat. Not my cup of tea unfortunately. I mean, anything can be fun with friends but we are pretty picky now that jobs and family limit free time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Gedonia run has been bodyblocked by Zegrath, who is kicking my rear end completely. I can't get close to him and my minions die almost instantly. Not to mention he has a ton of HP and 1-2 - shots me even with armor. Is my only hope to load an earlier save and come back with arrows?

e: complaining helped as usual, but I had to abuse saving in the middle of the fight - his position resets but the health does not

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 24, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Why is everyone so excited by what looks like another run-of-the-mill treepuncher?
It's the sequel to another treepuncher that some people really liked. Personally I did not like the survival/combat elements of The Forest at all. We spent like 20 hours building a huge elaborate base with tons of defenses and then suddenly the ground started rumbling and some giant mutants literally just appeared in the middle of it, destroying most of it instantly. We decided to disable mutants and just see the rest of the story and that was it. But it's hard to deny the atmosphere.

This one at least seems to have nice visuals.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack Trades posted:

It's a treepuncher but it sets itself apart from the others by being somewhat grotesque, like how the primary way to get low level enemies to stay away from your base is to make a macabre sculpture of the severed arms and legs of their friends and light it on fire.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
300000 people are playing the Early Access tree punching game lmao

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does SOTF have a peaceful mode like the first one? I kind of got tired of the enemies attacking me when all I really wanted to do was chill and build a nice log cabin in a pretty forest.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Third most popular EA game ever on Steam, behind only Valheim and PUBG, apparently?

I knew The Forest was kinda popular back in the day but I didn't expect a sequel to explode like this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Aphex- posted:

Does SOTF have a peaceful mode like the first one? I kind of got tired of the enemies attacking me when all I really wanted to do was chill and build a nice log cabin in a pretty forest.

:same:

I wish every survival game had a peaceful mode

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Aphex- posted:

It does; it also has a selection of granular difficulty options for tweaking to your preference.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm about three hours into Sons of the Forest with a multiplayer group and we love it. Spelunking caves, attacking cannibal camps, being stalked by a 3-legged woman, accidentally eating rotten fish, building log forts in the mountains. It's an excellent time so far and there are hints that there is almost a metroidvania aspect of the game where areas of the island are "locked" behind unique items like a shovel, zipline gun, etc.

Runs fine for me. i5 12th gen intel, 16 GB ram, 3070ti. Playing on High at 1440p. Getting pretty consistent minimum FPS of 75 that can get up to 100-105 in some areas. Never seen it above that, though. The gameplay feels complete (or nearly complete), so I'm hoping their plan is to use Early Access to focus on stability and performance

Love the error message "Can't carry any more skulls"

I played through The Forest with two other dads and by the end of it we all were wearing bathrobes, wielding katanas, and because we found the monastery recipe book, building churches and crosses and dadding it up inside them. At one point we built a base on the treetops and the cannibals (well, the other cannibals) were smart enough to simply chop them all down lmao

Son can go save himself lol

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wintermutant posted:

It does; it also has a selection of granular difficulty options for tweaking to your preference.

Amazing, thanks!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Apparently Kerbal 2 is a buggy mess?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hrm, missed the part in Satisfactory where I battled cannibals to get access to oil

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

err posted:

Also bloodbowl 3

Also company of heroes 3

They all came out the same day

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Me and a friend are gonna try to sell some unusuals to get the fun bux to buy him a deck. Can you just transfer credit from one account to another, or should we sell the hats from one account?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like 350k is the max for SotF today. $30 sequel to a beloved game that looks great and apparently runs well seems like a solid business model.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Leal posted:

Hrm, missed the part in Satisfactory where I battled cannibals to get access to oil

You battle aliens for access to oil. If those aliens also eat each other is lore the game does not explore, however.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are there any good treepunchers/survival games that don't have that dumb "periodic attacks on your base" mechanic? I seem to recall you can turn it off in Grounded at least.

edit: also Satisfactory, since the monsters can't harm your factory at all

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

victrix posted:

every time a new rear end game comes out with absolutely baffling design decisions from otherwise good studios, you can smell the stink of publisher mandates from miles away

Worth remembering that this game was probably originally supposed to be a tie-in for the movie. No, the first one. Then the second one. And now, uh, well they spent 8 years on this thing.

Though I already thought it looked pretty dire even before this. And there's been just enough smoke surrounding Rocksteady that I lack any lingering loyalty or faith in them.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Copper Vein posted:

what the gently caress are you holding in these screens? looks like a bundle of sheet metal. are you fabbing up some body panels for your samurai?

It's a survival blanket that you can use for an emergency shelter.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jarvisi posted:

Also bloodbowl 3

Also company of heroes 3

They all came out the same day

KSP2 is only an early access release, at least.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ymgve posted:

Are there any good treepunchers/survival games that don't have that dumb "periodic attacks on your base" mechanic? I seem to recall you can turn it off in Grounded at least.

V Rising if you play on a pve server

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003177&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ymgve posted:

Thats a lie

These spiders crawled over my coal miner and took the place over. Shortly after taking this screenshot they both proceeded to scream and loving leapt from down there to where I was :gonk:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Leal posted:

Thats a lie

These spiders crawled over my coal miner and took the place over. Shortly after taking this screenshot they both proceeded to scream and loving leapt from down there to where I was :gonk:

I love spiders

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

err posted:

Most of the complaints seem to be focused around it having quite poor performance, apparently. GPUs in particular seem to be a bottleneck.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Leal posted:

Thats a lie

A few of them spawn directly on top of the uranium node in the Red Forest and they can get stuck inside the miner if you build it before they can load in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Leal posted:

Thats a lie

if youre cold, theyre cold. Let the spiders into your machinery

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Worth remembering that this game was probably originally supposed to be a tie-in for the movie. No, the first one. Then the second one. And now, uh, well they spent 8 years on this thing.

Though I already thought it looked pretty dire even before this. And there's been just enough smoke surrounding Rocksteady that I lack any lingering loyalty or faith in them.

Ah, so it's a spiritual successor to Anthem?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
FYI if anyone is checking out the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty demo that launched today and finds it running like poo poo, the Steam version seems to be an older build than the one available on the Microsoft store. The former is capped at 60fps and could barely even maintain that on my 3070 while the latter has a 120fps cap and runs fine. Very weird, but quite the relief because the performance on the Steam demo was shockingly bad.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ymgve posted:

Planet Crafter has no enemies at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ymgve posted:

Base attacks in Valheim can be modded out pretty easily. In 7 Days to Die (oh wait you said "good" lol) they can be disabled with the included options, though this can make the game pretty easy without some other mods.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

- a new Dysmantle DLC, "Doomsday", has been announced, which adds another new open world map to the game. with a likely April release

- My Time at Sandrock will be getting a major update soon which looks like its the penultimate story update, along with new dungeons, and a workshop helper, coming in late March/April

- Kokopa's Atlas development is being paused. apparently they can't even log in to their Kickstarter account at the moment so they had to announce it via Steam news. yipes

- Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania is adding Richter Belmont as a playable character with his SOTN moveset, if you manage to find a secret level in the DLC

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

ymgve posted:

Subnautica?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ymgve posted:

I'm pretty sure The Planet Crafter doesn't have any monsters. Instead you're fending off rising water levels and like asteroid strikes and poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

- Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania is adding Richter Belmont as a playable character with his SOTN moveset, if you manage to find a secret level in the DLC

I saw an interview with the Dead Cells devs the other day and it sounds like Konami was really cool about letting them work with the license. It started as "hey, how about we add a couple Castlevania cameo items to the game?" but everyone was super enthusiastic about it and then it turned into this massive expansion. Neat stuff; I'm kind of done with Dead Cells and don't know if I would have normally come back for another DLC but I love Castlevania and will definitely check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

StarkRavingMad posted:

Planet Crafter has no enemies at all.

Two great suggestions that I forgot to mention (already played them, Below Zero too).

Planet Crafter is getting an update next week so I'll play through it again then!

Also, Raft technically has constant base attacks, but they are so often you get used to them, and after a certain upgrade they become a complete non-issue.