Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

1366x768, my old friend, I knew it would be you

*profound disgust*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

1366x768, my old friend, I knew it would be you

...I thought these would be cheap, I didn't think they would be THAT cheap. Who the gently caress still makes those displays in this day and age? At 15 inches?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

We're hitting a point where all sorts of old tech codenames are going to start being reused. Can't wait for upcoming rumours of an OS release from Apple codenamed Copland!
Present day, present time!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's finally a BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.8 for the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX :woop:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

orcane posted:

There's finally a BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.8 for the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX :woop:

Is this the pbo/curve optimizer bios for the 5800x3d then? I'd install it and check, but I have a riser card so that means I have to tear everything down to update the bios. I should invest in a gt710 or something I guess. Let me know how it goes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
mine didn't have it on an asus x470. it's supposed to be in the overclocking settings for the motherboards that enable it afaict

e: gigabyte has it. must be nice

kliras fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 19, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Microcenter has the 5800x3d on sale for $299, so I bought one to replace my 3600. I also bought a third-party cooler since I've only used stock coolers and read those won't cut it for the 5800x3d.

I think these will be the last new parts I put into this HAF 912 mid tower case. It's pretty tightly packed now and I had trouble getting the cooler on and then reconnecting some wires.

Edit: Very pleased with the fps increase in the various mmos I play.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1627829057504280576

There were some rumors this summer that Zen5 (which is expected to be a fairly big swing) had slipped to due to production supply. Wonder if this was why.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 21, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My usual PC curse has happened again and my motherboard is kaput. At least this time it had the decency of doing it in-warranty, which is good because the market for ITX X500 boards is slim and overpriced.

Not looking forward to like, a 30 day turnaround though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kliras posted:

mine didn't have it on an asus x470. it's supposed to be in the overclocking settings for the motherboards that enable it afaict

e: gigabyte has it. must be nice
Yeah, I got it for the B550I Aorus Pro AX (V1.1), I'm currenrly checking mine at -20 for all cores.

There's a new BIOS with 1.2.0.8 for the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi now, too. I wonder if that also comes with CO for the 5800X3D, but I don't have a 2nd one to try it with, mine is sitting in the spare parts bin with a 2700X.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What's the simplest and safest CPU temp app around these days?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HWINFO64, just remember to tick sensors only on startup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wasn’t 100% able to confirm, but I think it was giving me some system slowdowns when I had in on in the background for days at a time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

I wasn’t 100% able to confirm, but I think it was giving me some system slowdowns when I had in on in the background for days at a time.

bear in mind that polling and logging a bunch of sensors is actually fairly heavyweight too, if you are really only interested in like five specific numbers and you want the least system impact then remove all the other sensor entries and set the polling frequency to like once a second or something. the observer effect is real and nontrivial, I regularly see "glances" on unix eating up a decent chunk of a core just by itself (htop is probably better, glances is ruby).

also RTSS is sort of the canonical tool for runtime monitoring, and then other stuff (like afterburner, formerly? :rip:) can share one set of data. It does logging too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

hobbesmaster posted:

HWINFO64, just remember to tick sensors only on startup.

What happens if I don't, out curiosity?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

What happens if I don't, out curiosity?

Then it no longer qualifies as simple

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFUa60ozKY

Good video to watch if you're looking to upgrade to AM5.

In terms of VRMs, they're all capable of running the 7950X at peak performance (or close to it), though the Asus boards' VRMs hit 100C in the process. They'll all be just fine with any lower-end CPUs. The Gigabyte and MSI boards have tighter auto memory timings, leading to slightly better gaming performance. And Gigabyte comes away with the fastest boot times. Gigabyte seems to be doing really well overall with their AM5 offerings, while Asus is kinda dogshit this time around. You can likely extrapolate these results to the higher-end offerings too. The VRMs on those will be more than adequate for anything you want to do, and the boot times and memory timings are likely going to be consistent across all boards from the same brand.

They also did a video about different memory configurations with a 7700X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOatIQuQo3s

The gist of that one is that you memory performance matters a surprising amount for Zen 4, more than it does for Intel. You shouldn't cheap out and get a 4800 kit, and you can eke out a small but tangible performance boost by manually tuning the memory if you really want to (they provide a set of timings that supposedly will work with any hynix-based DDR5)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 22, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
man, asus are really phoning it in these days. the gpu side of things also sounds off with trip reports like this 4090 from reddit making it seem as if qc is taking second priority. msi/fe 40-series with gigabyte/asrock motherboard sound like the way to go this gen

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1627829057504280576

There were some rumors this summer that Zen5 (which is expected to be a fairly big swing) had slipped to due to production supply. Wonder if this was why.

This reminds me of the time that guy at Apple was shown the tiny Toshiba hard drives, then went and got a $10m check from Steve to go buy all of them + exclusivity. That ended up being the defining factor that allowed the iPod to dominate the market.

I wonder if Apple has outgrown their monoliths and they're going to chiplets, too (Using that interconnect to conjoin two M1s doesn't count).

I don't see this shorter lived monopoly having the same kind of impact, but it's absolutely wild to think that they're essentially delaying the next generation for most everything else. Don't forget that Intel just delayed their 3nm too, which was supposed to be their big 'mixed source' strategy. They even cut dividends by 60% to make long term operations look less bad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm going to buy a new AM5 board as soon as I can. This loving ASUS one still watchdog reboots every couple days when running the memory at 4800 MHz and won't even POST half the time at 5600 MHz.

Utter piece of poo poo board. gently caress you, ASUS. You used to be good but now you're Biostar grade trash.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I was considering Asus B650 Strix E-E, but the posts make me reconsider. What's good higher range option to consider? I want a stable platform with 3 M2 slots, good memory support and build quality.

E: anything wrong with Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX?

alex314 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 24, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm still planning on going with the Asus Strix B650E-I for my new mini-itx build.

E: this is the only review of the vrm's on it that I could find and they seem OK? ~80c at load in 20c ambient room on a test bed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWn1yDx-XxM

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 24, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

alex314 posted:

I was considering Asus B650 Strix E-E, but the posts make me reconsider. What's good higher range option to consider? I want a stable platform with 3 M2 slots, good memory support and build quality.

MSI seems to be on a pretty good run lately. More tech companies should look into throwing their CEOs out of a window.

Their AMD AM5 boards are using realtek LAN, but with intel 2.5GbE being such a mixed bag I'm not sure that's a downside.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do the NBaseT NICs from Intel have any problems at 1000BaseT?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kibner posted:

I'm still planning on going with the Asus Strix B650E-I for my new mini-itx build.

E: this is the only review of the vrm's on it that I could find and they seem OK? ~80c at load in 20c ambient room on a test bed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWn1yDx-XxM

It's not just the VRMs, but whether the memory can run at the optimal DDR5-6000 speed as well. A string of goons had bad luck with memory stability on Asus B650 boards in the PC building thread recently, and then Hardware Unboxed published that video showing that none of their Asus B650 boards could run DDR5-6000. It seems their firmware is in a pretty hosed place right now. Hopefully they get their poo poo in order soon because there aren't that many other options for ITX.

alex314 posted:

Nothing wrong with either Aorus Elite board as far as I know.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not just the VRMs, but whether the memory can run at the optimal DDR5-6000 speed as well. A string of goons had bad luck with memory stability on Asus B650 boards in the PC building thread recently, and then Hardware Unboxed published that video showing that none of their Asus B650 boards could run DDR5-6000. It seems their firmware is in a pretty hosed place right now. Hopefully they get their poo poo in order soon because there aren't that many other options for ITX.

I'm hoping picking something off their QVL list will mitigate the memory issues.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The online sentiment seems to be that Gigabyte has the best AM5 boards at the moment. But just like AM4 at first, the whole thing is a bit messy, especially with RAM support greater than listed by AMD. 6000+ may not work with some CPUs or board at all.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I have an AsRock B650E Riptide and 6000mhz RAM, will report when I slap a 7950x3D in it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
real monkey's paw moment that we finally got pci-e release buttons on motherboards, but it's only on the asus ones

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Speaking of Gigabyte motherboards: Skatterbencher has a video up where he overclocks the heck out of a 7900's IGP, and he has it in a currently-not-released Tachyon board. I'd been curious about whether that one might release at a different price point than the other silly overclocking motherboards, since it's not going to be an X670/X670E based board.

The article on his website about the overclocking shenanigans lists the prices for what's in his build. It's got the Tachyon at $599 US. I don't think that was public information (if it's accurate).

https://skatterbencher.com/2023/02/21/skatterbencher-55-amd-radeon-graphics-ryzen-7000-overclocked-to-3100-mhz/

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 24, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
edit: wrong thread

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 24, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

AMD 7000 series bundles go on sale Monday at Amazon, Newegg, possibly other places?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-offers-a-dollar125-game-bundle-ddr5-and-motherboard-discounts-for-ryzen-7000

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
AMD's performance numbers for the 7950X3D leaked. It averages 6% faster at 1080p than a 13900KS if they're to be believed:

It's a bit cheeky of them not to compare it to Intel's best, even if the 13900KS would only claw back a couple of percent. What surprised me is MS Flight Sim wasn't in the list of games tested. IIRC that was one where the 5800X3D pulled way ahead of the competition. Perhaps it's an indicator that some titles that should benefit from the extra cache don't play well with one CCD lacking it.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-is-6-faster-in-gaming-than-core-i9-13900k-according-to-leaked-amd-review-guide

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
7800X3D should be the more interesting chip for gaming tbh, no CCD-with-v-cache shenaningans, and no cross-CCD latency considerations.
It's a shame it doesn't boost as high out of the box, I guess we just have to wait for real reviews, it could be the binning is good and it can boost as high as 7950X3D with tweaks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not clear yet what the frequency behavior will be, but AMD has confirmed 7950X3D's CCD with vcache won't boost as high as the CCD without it, so the difference in gaming performance will likely be smaller than you'd think.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Klyith posted:

MSI seems to be on a pretty good run lately. More tech companies should look into throwing their CEOs out of a window.

Their AMD AM5 boards are using realtek LAN, but with intel 2.5GbE being such a mixed bag I'm not sure that's a downside.

This is only one source in hardware unboxed who did get free poo poo from gigabyte for this video. But the b650 MSI boards take as 53 seconds to post vs 23 as low as 23 if youre a dual booter. https://youtu.be/DTFUa60ozKY

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

7800X3D should be the more interesting chip for gaming tbh, no CCD-with-v-cache shenaningans, and no cross-CCD latency considerations.
It's a shame it doesn't boost as high out of the box, I guess we just have to wait for real reviews, it could be the binning is good and it can boost as high as 7950X3D with tweaks

The 7800X3D is probably the most sensible option for gaming, but I'm genuinely interested to see if there's enough smarts in the drivers or OS to schedule games that benefit from either the extra cache or higher frequencies to the appropriate CCD on a 7950X3D. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Shoulda at least put Factorio into this for giggles.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh baby a new agesa bios update. Lets see if this one fucks my computer up or not

e- Status: Good so far seems stable. Way better than the 1.0.0.4 bioses.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Shoulda at least put Factorio into this for giggles.

Factorio doesn’t have an official benchmark which is pretty unfortunate. I’m looking forward to reviews where we can see if UPS fluctuates wildly or not.