Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And the t-shirts were too tight.

BILLY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’M ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS SUPERSTARS IN THIS, GOD!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
https://voca.ro/14JhDRiYAFxj

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The greatest Hogan lie of all time is when he claimed to have wrestled more than 365 days in a single year due to all the time difference flying back and forth from Japan. That poo poo belongs in the Louvre.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's what Warrior was talking about when he decided to take over Ho Kogan's plane, to stop him from making himself immortal.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

haljordan posted:

The greatest Hogan lie of all time is when he claimed to have wrestled more than 365 days in a single year due to all the time difference flying back and forth from Japan. That poo poo belongs in the Louvre.

It's actually when he turned down the chance to play bass for metallica but this is up there

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Don't forget when he said that andre died shortly after wrestlemania

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

He still has the boots from Andre's last match, brother.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Remember when he produced the totally real handwritten notes for 'Mania 3 in the Andre doc? I yearn for the Monumental Podcast to continue reading his book and pointing out how bad every lie is

I'll never forget how someone on this forum referred to Hogan's appearance on the Mean Gene tribute Raw as "boogieboarding on Gene's corpse into a wave of redemption"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Whoolighams posted:

I yearn for the Monumental Podcast

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

It's actually when he turned down the chance to play bass for metallica but this is up there

Fighting for Pride in the 70s is a banger as well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

the sex ghost posted:

Wow. Really came down to him or Ron McGovney, huh?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

zetamind2000 posted:

Don't forget when he said that andre died shortly after wrestlemania

Hey there are over a million Hulkamaniacs that were there at the Silverdome that will corroborate that claim!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. Really came down to him or Ron McGovney, huh?

Even better, he said once he was going to be Cliff Burton's replacement after he died. He would have been WWF champion at the time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Didn't he say he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE, when UT would've been like 7 years old?

Or the time he said a Tombstone Pile-driver hurt his neck but video shows him like two feet off the ground.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2BJDGfliAM

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or, after politicking his way into a weird title victory at WMIX, Hulk Hogan then went to Japan and denigrated the WWF title (to appease Japanese fans, obviously and hype up a feud with the Great Muta)

quote:

“This belt is just a toy. It’s like a trinket on a Christmas tree, like an ornament. The belt that I want is that the Great Muta has the IWGP belt.”

And then apparently after Vince et. al got wind of this Hogan simply just said "I never said that" despite it being on tape. Somehow this excuse worked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angry_Ed posted:

Or, after politicking his way into a weird title victory at WMIX, Hulk Hogan then went to Japan and denigrated the WWF title (to appease Japanese fans, obviously and hype up a feud with the Great Muta)

And then apparently after Vince et. al got wind of this Hogan simply just said "I never said that" despite it being on tape. Somehow this excuse worked.

This is by far Hulk's best work. Especially since Meltzer told people at the WWF when they asked him about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Well THAT doesn't sound very ichiban.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know Schiavone and Heenan had issues in WCW but why did Bobby put up with some of the poo poo Tony was giving him on air? Not just random out of nowhere insults, but stuff like slapping him in the back of the head, snapping a Halloween mask in his face, trying to physically turn him in his chair, etc. It’s really uncomfortable at times.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

and what makes it even funnier is that Mutoh then politicked to Inoki, saying that promo was proof that putting the belt on Hogan would be a mistake because he could just go back to America and denigrate it the same way he just trashed his own home promotion's belt

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think my favorite Pointless and Easily Disproven Hogan lie that he repeated in both of his books and multiple interviews is about being a 'little kid' and looking up so much to Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair when they'd come and wrestle in Tampa. He thought Dusty was the bestest hero ever, and Ric Flair the most dastardly heel!

Dusty Rhodes is eight years older than Hogan, Ric Flair is four years older than Hogan. Dusty turned babyface in Florida in 1974, when Hulk Hogan was 21. Flair didn't even start wrestling with any regularity in the southeast until after his plane crash, and didn't start working in Florida regularly until 1981, by which point Hogan was already wrestling across the country and in Japan.

I assume he told/tells the story all of the time to give the impression that he is of a younger and more vital generation than your Flairs and Dustys, which was probably more important to him in the 1990s and 2000s. But he usually includes a bit about how since he was just a little kid (i.e. in his early-mid 20s) he could sneak up to the front row where he could notice that sometimes the babyfaces and heels would talk to each other, and that's when he realized that wrestling was planned and rehearsed!

If you try to make sense of it all, the story of Hogan's wrestling career is that he watched Dusty wrestle in Florida, realized it wasn't real, started shoot fighting for real in Japan, came back to the United States and was recruited to try wrestling which he now thought was real, got his legs broken by Hiro Matsuda, was smartened up to the fact that wrestling was rehearsed, then transformed into a child to watch a little more wrestling in Tampa where he once again was shocked to find out wrestling was rehearsed. And then murdered Andre the Giant at WM3 about two years later.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Whoolighams posted:

I'll never forget how someone on this forum referred to Hogan's appearance on the Mean Gene tribute Raw as "boogieboarding on Gene's corpse into a wave of redemption"

I was at that raw booing the gently caress out of him.

I was the only one not cheering the awful gently caress

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

If you try to make sense of it all, the story of Hogan's wrestling career is that he watched Dusty wrestle in Florida, realized it wasn't real, started shoot fighting for real in Japan, came back to the United States and was recruited to try wrestling which he now thought was real, got his legs broken by Hiro Matsuda, was smartened up to the fact that wrestling was rehearsed, then transformed into a child to watch a little more wrestling in Tampa where he once again was shocked to find out wrestling was rehearsed. And then murdered Andre the Giant at WM3 about two years later.

This reads like a Fiend segment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AND he saved the cast of the A-Team from killing each other!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sometimes I don't know if Hogan needs help or needs his pants set on fire.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/otd_in_wwe/status/1629110088764997632?s=46&t=zVlSwM-SQ7LPts0M48wDAg

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Well, this Hulk Hogan fella kinda sucks, hey?

staguar
Aug 29, 2004
Which is the better book about WCW's collapse? The reviews on Audible say Nitro is better, but I wasn't even aware it existed until now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t Nitro the one Bischoff had a hand in

I haven’t read it but I can only imagine it’s gonna be more than a little biased about what killed the company given everything else Bischoff has ever done, ever

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 25, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Nitro book has interviews with all sorts of Turner people to show the whole numbers side of why WCW failed.
There is also interviews with Bischoff, Russo and various wrestlers and creative people but the main difference from other writings on WCW is that goes pretty in depth with the corporate side of things.

there's a review here: https://wcwworldwide.com/2018/07/review-nitro-guy-evans/

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Didn't he say he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE, when UT would've been like 7 years old?

Or the time he said a Tombstone Pile-driver hurt his neck but video shows him like two feet off the ground.

He told UT that he had hurt his neck taking the Tombstone onto the chair, and UT apparently felt really bad about it for months since he was new in the Fed at the time. Then he was talking to someone about it and they were like "That's not what happened" and showed UT the tape of it and Hogans head being 2 feet away from the chair and he was pissed.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think Hulk Hogan's biggest lie was saying that he got his physique from saying his prayers and eating his vitamins. He damaged a generation of Hulkamaniacs. That said, it's to my understanding that by his testimony, Hulk Hogan may tell lies, but Terry Bollea is an honest man.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Terry Bollea has a small penis but Hulk Hogan has a very large penis

-Terry Bolea offering testimony in court

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I think Hulk Hogan's biggest lie was saying that he got his physique from saying his prayers and eating his vitamins. He damaged a generation of Hulkamaniacs. That said, it's to my understanding that by his testimony, Hulk Hogan may tell lies, but Terry Bollea is an honest man.

He didn’t say who he was praying to (doctors) and what vitamins he was eating (all the PEDs) so technically it’s just misleading rather than outright lying

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

titties posted:

Terry Bollea has a small penis but Hulk Hogan has a very large penis

-Terry Bolea offering testimony in court

this was the best part about all this, the hulkster packing by law now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

AND he saved the cast of the A-Team from killing each other!

The episodes of the A-Team with him on it (I think there were two) are great, since he's Hulk Hogan playing Hulk Hogan, except this Hogan is also a Vietnam vet who fought along the A-Team in 'Nam.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

The episodes of the A-Team with him on it (I think there were two) are great, since he's Hulk Hogan playing Hulk Hogan, except this Hogan is also a Vietnam vet who fought along the A-Team in 'Nam.

So basically Thunder in Paradise where it's Hulk playing Hulk as an ex-Navy SEAL with a superboat?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

staguar posted:

Which is the better book about WCW's collapse? The reviews on Audible say Nitro is better, but I wasn't even aware it existed until now.

The Nitro book is a bad book with some interesting interviews but the guy who wrote it does not have a clue about the period and is obviously manipulated by the people he interviewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Hogan said some poo poo like, he was already 300 pounds when he was 16 and just imagine if he was actually on steroids, brother.

Not saying it's impossible to be that big at that age but like, come on.