Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some Guy TT posted:

(Fortunately, the Army restored much of its traditional training several years ago.)

lol. I don't know what else to say here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
he's a gimmick poster but i think it's quite good to have a bit of mental sparring with the ultralib world view. A bit of well meaning 2-minute hate.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also "So how does the war end? Almost certainly not in the way of a “total war,” with Ukrainian tanks rolling into Moscow in the same way that Allied tanks rolled into Berlin in 1945, for the reason stated above."

:psyduck:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

Supply chains and manufacturing can be built up. Europe managed to survive to 1979 without chinese inputs. The only thing that's indispensible is access to raw materials.

This is all, I will just say it, straight up bullshit. The US doesn't even bother to establish domestic mask manufacturing after Covid. You can't find more clear and direct evidence that the US doesn't care about manufacturing at heart.

All these offshoring friendshoring talks are just bullshit. All the former MIC products will be made 95% and finish the final assemble in Vietnam (if China cares about the US market, that is. the us market is not as big as you think.) Time will tell whom is feeding whom bullshit. But my theory is the capitalists gave the instruction to the Washington Blob to paddle this *shoring bullshit.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

that grifting semiconductor bill they passed gave like 60 billion or more to the semiconductor companies who immediately proceeded to fire thousands of workers and use it for ceo bonuses so i dont think its looking to good to restart anything. at minimum to restart any kind of manufacturing in the us you need probably a decade. add another decade if most of it goes to grift which it does.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Also "So how does the war end? Almost certainly not in the way of a “total war,” with Ukrainian tanks rolling into Moscow in the same way that Allied tanks rolled into Berlin in 1945, for the reason stated above."

why was bavaria such a US theater in the final weeks?

the question is very poorly phrased but i'm sure you understand what i mean

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i say swears online posted:

to grab what they can before the soviets did and the remaining nazis surrendered en masse exclusively to the americans and became the administrators of west germany.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the mountains on the bavarian-austrian border were supposed to be a gigantic fortress for the last stand of the reich and the army was deployed accordingly but the fortifications and troops were never deployed/built so patton instead helped liberate czechoslovakia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Fortress

e: link and spellcheck error corrected

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Feb 24, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

to grab what they can before the soviets did and the remaining nazis surrendered en masse exclusively to the americans and became the administrators of west germany.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the mountains on the bavarian-austrian border were supposed to be a gigantic fortress for the last stand of the reich and the army was deployed accordingly but the fornications and troops were never deployed/built so patton instead helped liberate czechoslovakia

thx, i forgot about al saqr's point which makes complete sense

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Germans completely ran out of troops and everybody was capturing lots of territory. The map leaves out the Soviets capturing Prague and the rest of Austria for some reason

The French were involved clearing out Wurttemberg, but the invasion of Germany was mostly a US operation because the US had a lot of guys. The UK was close to scraping the barrel in terms of manpower.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Germans completely ran out of troops and everybody was capturing lots of territory. The map leaves out the Soviets capturing Prague and the rest of Austria for some reason

The French were involved clearing out Wurttemberg, but the invasion of Germany was mostly a US operation because the US had a lot of guys. The UK was close to scraping the barrel in terms of manpower.

speaking of UK manpower, i know the least about the southeast asian theater compared to the others. did burma and the malay peninsula have anywhere near the engagement the western front did? i assume the eastern front outpaces everything besides china by an order of magnitude

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

presumably the chorus is “all your countrymen love Hitler / same here”

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1628992814531895296?s=46&t=5EI-s4RQSb0bGhoPXA188A

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

third-tier nu-country artist. doesn't hold a candle to heroes like mark chestnut and clint black

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

where were you
when they built the ladder to heaven
did you think it was cool
or that it was kinda gay?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1629163889970520066?s=20

Ukrainian defenses in the north of city look to be falling at a faster pace.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
UK news going hard on Bucha today to remind everyone why this war can't end. Lots of mentions of how Ukraine must reclaim all the lost land. The existence of the DNR and LNR didn't get mentioned and they rarely do at the best of times. I guess it gets awkward to acknowledge that the population in those areas do not want 'liberating' by Ukraine.

Kinda waiting for western press to drop the mask and sideways back the obvious genocide that it would take to reclaim those areas.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmfao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speaking of UK manpower, i know the least about the southeast asian theater compared to the others. did burma and the malay peninsula have anywhere near the engagement the western front did? i assume the eastern front outpaces everything besides china by an order of magnitude

Imphal and Kohima.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Frosted Flake posted:

Global finance capital is never going to accept paying textile workers in New England, toymakers in Milwaukee and furniture makers in Montreal again, so nothing is getting decoupled.

Sure they will - once global financial capital has uprooted and moved to a new country and is outsourcing to cheap labor in underdeveloped us and canada

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Am I reading this right? Iranian boots on the ground in Ukraine for fighter jets lol?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1629190464438956033

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Country music is an op. TwangK Ultra.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

did Ukraine really try to freeze a river?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Vomik posted:

Sure they will - once global financial capital has uprooted and moved to a new country and is outsourcing to cheap labor in underdeveloped us and canada

that's right.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

But there are also less lofty, more pragmatic reasons for helping Ukraine. Were Russia’s troops to win, Putin would probably not order them to march on and conquer the Baltics, Poland, or beyond. For one thing, those are NATO members, and he would have to fear devastating retaliation. For another, his army would have had enough trouble dealing with Ukraine, right on its border; to stretch supply lines farther west would cross a bridge too far.

But a victorious Putin—having defeated the Ukrainian army, overthrown Zelensky, and occupied Kyiv, despite vast resistance and NATO-supplied arms—would gravely demoralize the Western alliance, erode the very notion of a common defense, and intimidate many Western powers into accommodating Moscow’s interests. It would also inspire other leaders—not least China’s Xi Jinping—to believe that they can get away with acting on their territorial ambitions, that even American-aided defenses can only go so far or last so long. This new realization would very likely drive many U.S. allies to lose trust in our “security guarantee” and build their own nuclear arsenals as a deterrent to a foreign adversary’s attack—which could, in turn, propel a multitude of regional arms races around the world.

Domino theory V 2.0?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Death By The Blues posted:

Am I reading this right? Iranian boots on the ground in Ukraine for fighter jets lol?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1629190464438956033
probably just means missiles and drones but also could just be made up

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Burma had around 300,000 Japanese troops at the end of the rope, supply-wise, so no. Burma and Malaya were captured by the Japanese on a shoestring, and the time when the Brits turned it around was 1944, after the Japanese navy and merchant marine had been shredded by the USA. For their part, the Japanese in Burma tried to go on the offensive in the same year and lost a whole army without actually being encircled or anything. The terrain was really bad and there was basically no infrastructure, so every year the monsoon would shut down military operations. The Brits sent a few British units, but mostly fought with the Indian army, as well as the African divisions they had raised in 1940. According to the logic of the British officer corps, the African guys (recruited from farming villages on cleared land like vast majority of soldiers) would adapt well to the jungles of Burma, but by all accounts they were as miserable as everybody else.

China was less densely invested than the Eastern Front. The Japanese were in a weird place because they had destroyed most of the pre-war Chinese military and occupied half the country by 1938, but they didn't have anywhere close to enough soldiers to actually occupy the "front line". They dispersed around 2 million Japanese soldiers around half of China, which left them with relatively few forces on hand for actual offensives. The Chinese didn't really have a military that could take advantage of this, but they could always shift formations around or find an isolated Japanese garrison that they could attack and force a response to. This is a big reason why only dumbos think Japan could have invaded the Soviet Union, they were basically out of soldiers in China and couldn't spare anybody, let alone take on the Soviets.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're really going to send fourteen Leopards, huh

Now Germany has to send 88. Those are the rules.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Here's how ukraine could retake crimea:

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1628386829304053761

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

genericnick posted:

Now Germany has to send 88. Those are the rules.

the german (or maybe polish) defense person who announced the shipment said they would be initially sending 14 tanks of a planned 88

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Ukraine can never take Crimea because they have no navy and the place is basically an Island with only one narrow access point available to Ukraine which could be easily defended by Russia or even if Ukraine did get in, impossible to keep open for supply. It's so clearly a pipe dream that is being bandied about disingenuously to keep the morale of the NAFO freaks up

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

if anyone can capture Crimea it's Ukraine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

UK news going hard on Bucha today to remind everyone why this war can't end.

you'd think, given that this is supposed to be a war of genocide on russia's part, that they'd have some more recent examples to point to for the bloody shirt waving

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

For years, Putin didn’t invade Ukraine. What made him finally snap in 2022?

Why did Vladimir Putin invade Ukraine and try to capture Kyiv in February 2022, and not years earlier? Moscow has always wanted to dominate Ukraine, and Putin has given the reasons for this in his speeches and writings. Why then did he not try to take all or most of the country after the Ukrainian revolution of 2014, rather than only annexing Crimea, and giving limited, semi-covert help to separatists in the Donbas?

On Friday’s one-year anniversary of Russia’s criminal invasion of Ukraine, it is worth thinking about precisely how we got to this point – and where things might be going.

Indeed, Russian hardliners spent years criticising their leader for not invading sooner. In 2014, the Ukrainian army was hopelessly weak; in Viktor Yanukovych, the Russians had a pro-Russian, democratically elected Ukrainian president; and incidents like the killing of pro-Russian demonstrators in Odesa provided a good pretext for action.

The reason for Putin’s past restraint lies in what was a core part of Russian strategy dating back to the 1990s: trying to wedge more distance between Europe and the United States, and ultimately to create a new security order in Europe with Russia as a full partner and respected power. It was always clear that a full-scale invasion of Ukraine would destroy any hope of rapprochement with the western Europeans, driving them for the foreseeable future into the arms of the US. Simultaneously, such a move would leave Russia diplomatically isolated and dangerously dependent on China.

This Russian strategy was correctly seen as an attempt to split the west, and cement a Russian sphere of influence in the states of the former Soviet Union. However, having a European security order with Russia at the table would also have removed the risk of a Russian attack on Nato, the EU, and most likely, Ukraine; and allowed Moscow to exert a looser influence over its neighbours – closer perhaps to the present approach of the US to Central America – rather than gripping them tightly. It was an approach that had roots in Mikhail Gorbachev’s idea – welcomed in the west at the time – of a “common European home”.

At one time, Putin subscribed to this idea. He wrote in 2012 that: “Russia is an inseparable, organic part of Greater Europe, of the wider European civilisation. Our citizens feel themselves to be Europeans.” This vision has now been abandoned in favour of the concept of Russia as a separate “Eurasian civilisation”.

Between 1999, when Putin came to power, and 2020, when Biden was elected president of the US, this Russian strategy experienced severe disappointments, but also enough encouraging signs from Paris and Berlin to keep it alive.

The most systematic Russian attempt to negotiate a new European security order came with the interim presidency of Dmitry Medvedev from 2008 to 2012. With Putin’s approval, he proposed a European security treaty that would have frozen Nato enlargement, effectively ensured the neutrality of Ukraine and other states, and institutionalised consultation on equal terms between Russia and leading western countries. But western states barely even pretended to take these proposals seriously.

In 2014, it appears to have been Chancellor Angela Merkel’s warnings of “massive damage” to Russia and German-Russian relations that persuaded Putin to call a halt to the advance of the Russian-backed separatists in the Donbas. In return, Germany refused to arm Ukraine, and with France, brokered the Minsk 2 agreement, whereby the Donbas would return to Ukraine as an autonomous territory.

In 2016, Russian hopes of a split between western Europe and the United States were revived by the election of Donald Trump – not because of any specific policy, rather because of the strong hostility that he provoked in Europe. But Biden’s election brought the US administration and west European establishments back together again. These years also saw Ukraine refuse to guarantee autonomy for the Donbas, and western failure to put any pressure on Kyiv to do so.

This was accompanied by other developments that made Putin decide to bring matters concerning Ukraine to a head. These included the US-Ukrainian Strategic Partnership of November 2021, which held out the prospect of Ukraine becoming a heavily armed US ally in all but name, while continuing to threaten to retake the Donbas by force.

In recent months, the German and French leaders in 2015, Merkel and François Hollande, have declared that the Minsk 2 agreement on Donbas autonomy was only a manoeuvre on their part to allow the Ukrainians the time to build up their armed forces. This is what Russian hardliners always believed, and by 2022, Putin himself seems to have come to the same conclusion.

Nonetheless, almost until the eve of invasion, Putin continued unsuccessfully to press the French president, Emmanuel Macron, in particular to support a treaty of neutrality for Ukraine and negotiate directly with the separatist leaders in the Donbas. We cannot, of course, say for sure if this would have led Putin to call off the invasion; but since it would have opened up a deep split between Paris and Washington, such a move by Macron might well have revived in Putin’s mind the old and deeply held Russian strategy of trying to divide the west and forge agreement with France and Germany.

Putin now seems to agree fully with Russian hardline nationalists that no western government can be trusted, and that the west as a whole is implacably hostile to Russia. He remains, however, vulnerable to attack from those same hardliners, both because of the deep incompetence with which the invasion was conducted, and because their charge that he was previously naive about the hopes of rapprochement with Europe appears to have been completely vindicated.

It is from this side, not the Russian liberals, that the greatest threat to his rule now comes; and of course this makes it even more difficult for Putin to seek any peace that does not have some appearance, at least, of Russian victory.

Meanwhile, the Russian invasion and its accompanying atrocities have destroyed whatever genuine sympathy for Russia existed in the French and German establishments. A peaceful and consensual security order in Europe looks very far away. But while Putin and his criminal invasion of Ukraine are chiefly responsible for this, we should also recognise that western and central Europeans also did far too little to try to keep Gorbachev’s dream of a common European home alive.

Anatol Lieven is director of the Eurasia programme at the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft

sorry for the long post but it’s the first article i’ve seen in the mainstream british press which is vaguely on this planet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not clicking can you summarize

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

Ukraine can never take Crimea because they have no navy

Politico posted:

a large-scale air, sea and land operation to advance on several axes against key land objectives in Crimea,” forming a “robust air and sea campaign”

Ukraine will likely be unable to accomplish any push into Crimea without expanded western weaponry such as long-range precision missiles and increased air power.

Crimeans themselves have hardly evinced any overwhelming desire to rejoin Russia, despite Putin’s insistence that they are part of Russia proper. In 1991, Crimeans joined every other region of Ukraine in voting for Ukrainian independence. And in the decades following, they never once voted to rejoin Moscow.

List of "active" Ukrainian Navy "ships"

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Feb 24, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the Japanese humiliated the British at Singapore. hundreds of thousands of British troops surrendered to a force of 30k Japanese who invaded from the north of the peninsula. all the British weapons faced out to sea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there was a huge election !! I remember it ahhhh

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

“The world felt like it was in a new place that it hadn’t been in decades,” the three-time Grammy winner recalls.

Well unless you were cursed by white, evangelical Jesus to be born in the middle east/Afghanistan. Not surprised that it's been memory holed though.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Apparently the Ukrainian government's strategy of having businesses do the bureaucratic legwork of mobilization is, shockingly, causing problems for both the economy and the army. I'm interested to see if they're able to reform this, or if they're at least able to crackdown on evaders. It seems like a big problem for the manpower pipeline if they can't get this system fixed.

MediaKiller posted:

Ukrainian businessmen are complaining en masse that the reservation [deferment] from mobilization is accompanied by serious problems.

The fact is that it is difficult to book specialists - far from all of the submitted lists receive a deferment from mobilization, and those who are not included in the list run the risk of promptly receiving a summons to the TCC. In the current situation, many enterprises are simply afraid to submit lists for booking employees, so as not to "shine" people once again. Moreover, many industries do not fit into the "strategic" criteria, which means they cannot hire specialists at all.

For example: in order not to be left without workers in the spring, agricultural entrepreneurs are already striving to hire their specialists. After all, if the majority of able-bodied men are taken into the army, agricultural enterprises will not have enough workers to carry out spring field work. Therefore, entrepreneurs working in the agricultural sector are already trying to organize reservations for their staff. Moreover, for many villagers, the preliminary deferment from conscription is already ending. Understanding the Ukrainian bureaucracy and the elementary caution of some officials, it can be assumed that the approved booking list will reach the head of the agricultural enterprise only in the fall, when it is time to harvest on the field. That's just who will sow the fields in the spring is a big question. And this is really a big problem - according to the president of the Association of Farmers and Private Landowners of Ukraine Viktor Goncharenko, farmers are worried about who should be put behind the wheel of a tractor or a combine today - there are many conscripts in small farms.

“We don’t book anyone at all. We only had one driver called up, there is no mass problem of serving subpoenas to employees. And we don’t create problems for ourselves,” Dmitry Leushkin, owner of the Prime gas station network, said in turn. And this despite the fact that the network of gas stations, as an enterprise in the fuel and energy sector, even has a "benefits" - it can book more than 50% of those liable for military service.

And more and more enterprises are now adhering to this principle. “We have mass cases in neighboring enterprises that half were booked, and the rest received summons - either before the decision on the reservation was made, or after it. Those who were not given deferrals received summons very quickly. Therefore, we decided once again not to shine, and we don’t submit any lists,” says one of the leaders of the Cherkasy enterprise.
(from t.me/MediaKiller2021/6746, via tgsa)

sum has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lol, they didn't even make Ukraine apparent on the globe. You can feel how authentic that is.