Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, graduated highschool in 2005 and I vaguely remember a couple of them. A codename over the PA, the teachers hushing everyone and someone would come down from the office to check if the doors were locked, then everything would go back to normal besides the students being confused.

We were told it was a lockdown drill and was for events like someone on campus who didn't belong. The kids would then go on to wildly speculate that it was for some adult coming on campus to kidnap a kid for ${insert.imaginative.gruesome.kid.logic.here}.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did exactly one workplace shooter training and they were telling us to do things and making us contemplate horrors to the point that I walked out in the middle of it because putting that poo poo in my head was going to be worse than whatever marginal benefit I might've gained in the 1:1,000,000 chance we had an active shooter in our office building. It's the psychological component of these mass shootings that set them apart from all the other shootings, as is often pointed out there are mass shootings literally everyday, but they don't capture us mentally like active shooters. So to go ahead and inflict or worsen that mental trauma in what is essentially a placebic exercise that isn't really going to save your life if a guy with a clip full of .223 decides to come in your office or school and murder people, it's stupid and it's inflicting trauma that we don't need to inflict. You wanna stop people getting killed by spree killers with semi-auto long rifles? We know what we need to do for that to happen so it would probably be better to do nothing about mass shootings because everything else we do about them only heaps on the mental weight of living in a society where -probably not but maybe - you could be shot dead in the street or at your desk but doing nothing to address the actual problem.

Which is violent video games.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm fully remote now and had to complete a self guided active shooter module for work. I just let the video play while muted and checked the box because lol.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I would not agree with the notion it's just a placebo.

It's critical for those who DO end up in that hosed up situation to have even the vaguest semblance of a ghost's whispered fart of an idea of what to do to survive.

The odds of it happening being slim is correct. But so are the odds of a fire. Doesn't mean fire drills are a bad idea.

I understand the sentiment, and how or why you'd want to just bail, but...
I would argue that to avoid these shooter drills, on the basis of saving mental health is, unfortunately, tantamount to denial of our countries sickness.
And denial isn't gonna help.

Denial doesn't help cancer. It doesn't help diabetes. And it doesn't help out country address the shiiiiiiiiit situation we have with gun control/extremism/mental health.

My opinion and all that. Feel free to tell me to cram it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean did y'all see the video of the guy at MSU literally trying to go up and open the door to an auditorium during the lockdown just because the guy outside said he was a cop?

Turns out it was a cop, but still god drat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Bananana posted:

It's critical for those who DO end up in that hosed up situation to have even the vaguest semblance of a ghost's whispered fart of an idea of what to do to survive.

The odds of it happening being slim is correct. But so are the odds of a fire. Doesn't mean fire drills are a bad idea.

I would argue that to avoid these shooter drills, on the basis of saving mental health is, unfortunately, tantamount to denial of our countries sickness.

Denial doesn't help cancer. It doesn't help diabetes. And it doesn't help out country address the shiiiiiiiiit situation we have with gun control/extremism/mental health.

Your opinion is valid, you just shouldn't expect anything on guns changing in this country just because more people are aware or dislike having to do mass shooting drills. Elementary schools filled with bodies did nothing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Bananana posted:

we don't have to sit through workplace videos showing us car wreck footage but commutes are a hundred times more dangerous than workplace shootings

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Bananana posted:

You'd have to show me data that demonstrated effectiveness, which you can't, because there isn't any. Maybe it would be better if every kid just loving sprinted for the hills, probably would've been better at Robb Elementary. Also, we're soon reaching the point, if we're not already there, where all the school shooters know all the safety and security protocols anyway because they too went through years of active shooter training.

It's theater because we lack the political will to do what needs to be done, but demand that something be done, so we put on a little show and pretend like that's doing something. It would be ok if it was just ineffective, but it's malign.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

The Bananana posted:

Over 10x more kids die to shootings than fires.

Also Sandy Hook did everything right and still got blown away by a man with an assault rifle. I've never heard of a school with a mass shooting that didn't have some sort of a shooter drill or protection. It's proven to be useless.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 24, 2023

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
school shooting policies make more sense when you realize that the goal is to minimize the threat to the lives of the police at the expense of everyone else

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

school shooting policies make more sense when you realize that the goal is to minimize the threat to the lives of the police at the expense of everyone else

nah it's 100% about CYA over civil suit liability, without a doubt

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Over 10x more kids die to shootings than fires.

Also Sandy Hook did everything right and still got blown away by a man with an assault rifle. I've never heard of a school with a mass shooting that didn't have some sort of a shooter drill or protection. It's proven to be useless.

This is in part because the US has over a century of fire codes written in blood. Mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if only something like the triangle shirtwaist fire happened today but with guns; something that would spur political action

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

if only something like the triangle shirtwaist fire happened today but with guns; something that would spur political action

It would need to be influential Republicans having their kids' private school be massacred to even begin to move the needle. So long as this is a tragedy of the poors, less than nothing will continue to be done.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is in part because the US has over a century of fire codes written in blood. Mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon.

In other words, fire deaths were successfully and significantly reduced risk by... some sort of regulation? Law?

Hm, no. Better to let people be free to do as they please.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We all know what would solve the problem and also the fact that abbot wants to maximize all deaths in the state.

we don't have to sit through workplace videos showing us car wreck footage but commutes are a hundred times more dangerous than workplace shootings

That depends on your driving school.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

nah it's 100% about CYA over civil suit liability, without a doubt

Yep, hence the immediate blaming teachers for propping doors at Robb Elementary until that turned out to be false. Set up a procedure and policies so that when they inevitably break, that takes all the blame.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Listen, these kids are gonna die. I just don't want to have to be blamed for it. What can we do to stop it?

Being blamed, I mean."

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Any time you question why we do anything at schools, you gotta remember the primary reason we have them at all is day care so parents can go to work. This gives enough of an illusion of effort to assuage fears, not that the parents really have a choice.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

You'd have to show me data that demonstrated effectiveness, which you can't, because there isn't any. Maybe it would be better if every kid just loving sprinted for the hills, probably would've been better at Robb Elementary. Also, we're soon reaching the point, if we're not already there, where all the school shooters know all the safety and security protocols anyway because they too went through years of active shooter training.

It's theater because we lack the political will to do what needs to be done, but demand that something be done, so we put on a little show and pretend like that's doing something. It would be ok if it was just ineffective, but it's malign.

Yeah. The answer is significantly stricter gun control, up to and including the repealing of the second amendment and confiscation of all unregistered guns in the country. Full Australia, full stop.

Unfortunately, for that to become even close to a feasible possibility, we have to break the moronic goddamned gun culture in this country. There are way too many people who will hear about the latest school shooting and think "if I'd been there with my gun, it would have been different". So the very things that should be motivating people to fight for stricter gun control instead cause many to clutch their guns even more tightly. Especially here in Texas, I've had way too many conversations with people who should know a lot better and the second that the topic of gun control comes up their immediate response is pulling out some false statistic from some NRA-affiliated site talking about "all the crime stopped by guns". Hell, my 65-year old uncle takes his rifle to his Church each Sunday to be part of their volunteer security squad. It's just straight-up madness at this point.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah. The answer is significantly stricter gun control, up to and including the repealing of the second amendment and confiscation of all unregistered guns in the country. Full Australia, full stop.

Unfortunately, for that to become even close to a feasible possibility, we have to break the moronic goddamned gun culture in this country. There are way too many people who will hear about the latest school shooting and think "if I'd been there with my gun, it would have been different". So the very things that should be motivating people to fight for stricter gun control instead cause many to clutch their guns even more tightly. Especially here in Texas, I've had way too many conversations with people who should know a lot better and the second that the topic of gun control comes up their immediate response is pulling out some false statistic from some NRA-affiliated site talking about "all the crime stopped by guns". Hell, my 65-year old uncle takes his rifle to his Church each Sunday to be part of their volunteer security squad. It's just straight-up madness at this point.

reminds me of a convo I had today at work with a guy asking me why we're spending so much money on Ukraine and then immediately saying it would be better spent on the border wall

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DonnaProvencher/status/1628127839747772436

https://twitter.com/DonnaProvencher/status/1628130005648646146
I assume we still do active shooter drills out of liability and theater purposes, but we should really stop doing them. I graduated HS before columbine so I have no idea what it's like to go to school now, but I keep hearing over and over and over how these drills do way more harm than good and if kids are actually misinterpreting them as real events what are we loving doing?

Full disclosure: I'm not a Texan, I stuck my head in here to see if folks were talking about the anti-trans law proposed in the legislature (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-bill-ban-gender-affirming-care-transgender-adults/) but the quoted post caught my eye.

We recently had a scare where I work: someone thought they saw someone with a gun entering one of the buildings. Cops called, police cars everywhere. I'm in the next building over and nobody said anything because there's either no plan on how to handle an active shooter or the plan is "call the cops, that's it". I didn't figure out what was going on until it was basically over (false alarm). This poo poo happens, and until it stops happening there needs to some sort of planning in place for how to handle it.

If kids are misinterpreting the drills, or drills aren't the right tool, that's the thing to fix. Besides the actual root cause of guns being laughably easy to get, but I'm done believing that'll happen.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dameius posted:

It would need to be influential Republicans having their kids' private school be massacred to even begin to move the needle. So long as this is a tragedy of the poors, less than nothing will continue to be done.

Republican senators have been shot before. A gunman shot up a bunch of Republican senators during a baseball game and nothing was done in response. The shooter was pretty old though, so I guess he didn't have steady enough aim to rack up a body count.

Full Australia is the solution. Australia also had gun nuts, but the pro gun party had enough morals and bravery to vote for something deeply unpopular with their own party members. They still voted for it and every conservative that voted for it lost their election. US congress doesn't have any conviction or character to do something like that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Dameius posted:

Steve Scalise got his nuts shot off and nothing continues to be done. Because nothing will ever be done. It’s a lost fight, stop letting it be a wedge issue.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Also you're right, medicaid expansion is the single policy change that we could make to impact the most lives in the most significant way, we could do that tomorrow, but too many people for whom that would be true still vote for the GOP. I was reading about how St. Marks in LaGrange went to an emergency/outpatient services model over the weekend (using a federal program aimed at helping keep a minimum level of care in these rural counties by giving special subsidies to hospitals that go ER-only instead of closing outright) and it's having to do this because the county Republican party went on a full court blitz against a hospital district vote in 2019 and helped defeat it 85% to 15%. These bond and tax elections in rural counties don't pass sometimes, but it's usually close. Anyway they turned out 5k people to vote against it and now that county doesn't have in patient services, can't deliver babies, can't do operations, and so on. It's St. Davids affiliated so if you need emergency open heart surgery in Fayette County you are going to get put on a helicopter and flown to Austin or you are going to die in the back of an ambulance.

The tax proposal was ten cents on a 100 dollar valuation, or $30 bucks a month if your home costs 300k. I don't know how you reach a voting population that is willing to vote against it's own interests for pennies a day. It's also really hard to have sympathy for people who continuously vote for their faces to be eaten off over and over and refuse to learn.

https://twitter.com/SteveRattner/status/1628826617609875457

voters are dumb

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So loving dumb. And selfish.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texans shouldn't worry about our education standards for too much longer considering Florida will definitely be changing them for the entire country.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Republican senators have been shot before. A gunman shot up a bunch of Republican senators during a baseball game and nothing was done in response. The shooter was pretty old though, so I guess he didn't have steady enough aim to rack up a body count.

Full Australia is the solution. Australia also had gun nuts, but the pro gun party had enough morals and bravery to vote for something deeply unpopular with their own party members. They still voted for it and every conservative that voted for it lost their election. US congress doesn't have any conviction or character to do something like that.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Steve Scalise got his nuts shot off and nothing continues to be done. Because nothing will ever be done. It’s a lost fight, stop letting it be a wedge issue.

I'm not going to spend a lot of effort writing out how many dead congressional Republican kids it would take, but the point I was attempting is that you'd need something like 6 straight in a row impacting influential Republicans to even begin moving the needle.

And by moving the needle I mean not have any impactful legislation be immediately DOA.

I'm very well aware we're not going to get any traction on this in likely the next generation at least. Everyone on this forum will likely be past retirement before there is enough culture shift to do anything at this rate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dameius posted:

I'm not going to spend a lot of effort writing out how many dead congressional Republican kids it would take, but the point I was attempting is that you'd need something like 6 straight in a row impacting influential Republicans to even begin moving the needle.

That wouldn't inspire discussion about guns, it would inspire civil war.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah probably but at this point a lot of things will.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I remember my first shooter drill when I was in middle school doing classes at the highschool. They didn't communicate the drill to the middleschool classes so my the poor teacher who was like in her 20s or early 30s had us do protocol which was apparently cowering in the corners. Part of the drill was wiggling the doorknobs to make sure they were locked and whey came to our door my teachers eyes (and every other kids) were bugged lol.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 25, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Same

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

howdy little lady

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

All of that, yet the vagina is pixelated...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gun control from the right is political suicide and every GOP politician knows that. they'd rather take the chance losing a kid than give up a lifetime of political grift.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gun control from the right is political suicide and every GOP politician knows that. they'd rather take the chance losing a kid than give up a lifetime of political grift.

100%

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's not really grift when it involves actual power

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

All of that, yet the vagina is pixelated...

Ahh, tubgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IT BURNS posted:

Ahh, tubgirl.

"It's better to wash out than to fade away..." - Kurt Cobain