Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

I KNEW IT HE EVENT TOOK THE GREEN ONES :mad:

Even the younglings :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TACD posted:

what the gently caress?? where do they show prices for things on the top shelf then?

On the shelf above that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

TACD posted:

what the gently caress?? where do they show prices for things on the top shelf then?

on a signpost above the produce

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Looks like Sky News are previewing the Purge that's coming tomorrow,:ohdear:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1629137861051129858?t=lit7An6HiaueSL3rze-lEg&s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I hate this tick tick boom horseshit

Just spit it the gently caress out or shut it the gently caress up, Sam

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Is there any context to this? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lord of the Llamas posted:

:killing:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Man that is dystopia level of grim.

On a slightly related note, I saw this tweet today. Its about a scummy US practice relatedhttps://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948906657878016?t=J34jLQ6elAZemaFeJUHzeg&s=19 to takeaway delivery. It seems to be a US thing, but it's only a matter of time before someone tries to do it over here. I don't know if EU laws would prevent this, but I'd be pessimistic.

This has been going on in the UK with some government services. The first half a dozen google links are to sites that offer to do the service for a charge but then pass your data straight on to the .gov site, when if you'd gone straight to the official spot you get the service for free.
Corey Doctorow wrote an interesting piece about the enshittification of platforms here https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys. TLDR is that it's just less profitable for google to link you to the real site than the fake one which pays them for doing so.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I installed tiktok a few days ago with the intention of just scrolling through funny videos while lying in bed and being ill.

Well, gradually, my 'queue' has somehow filled up with videos of people complaining about wokeness, videos of sovereign citizens, and just now a video of a black person complaining about other black people complaining about slavery

I think tiktok might be bad

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

oops wrong thread

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The TikTok algorithm is incredibly good at focusing in on the topics you engage with most. If it's showing you loads of alt-right poo poo it's because that's what you've been watching.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Microplastics posted:

I installed tiktok a few days ago with the intention of just scrolling through funny videos while lying in bed and being ill.

Well, gradually, my 'queue' has somehow filled up with videos of people complaining about wokeness, videos of sovereign citizens, and just now a video of a black person complaining about other black people complaining about slavery

i just got football vids, craft stuff and the occasional boobies

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Endjinneer posted:

This has been going on in the UK with some government services. The first half a dozen google links are to sites that offer to do the service for a charge but then pass your data straight on to the .gov site, when if you'd gone straight to the official spot you get the service for free.
Corey Doctorow wrote an interesting piece about the enshittification of platforms here https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys. TLDR is that it's just less profitable for google to link you to the real site than the fake one which pays them for doing so.

Yeah you have to check. Same with Ryanair. If you google that the first thing that comes up is some outfit called esky (of course, I googled just now and the official Ryanair comes up - certainly didn't a few weeks ago!) who do likewise. Caused us a problem last summer when I had booked directly with Ryanair, then mum decided she was going to come to and my sister booked for her on the same flight as me but didn't check & ended up going through esky. Anyway, our flight got cancelled and no suitable alternative. My fare was refunded by Ryanair within a couple of weeks. Mum's wasn't refunded for about 8 months.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Yeah i have literally no idea what he's talking about. Unless it's Roald Dahl books lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Microplastics posted:

It's showing you them because you watch the video and/or read the comments.

If you start just skipping straight past them they'll go away in a day and be replaced with something else

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You've heard of Gonzo journalism, this is Beaker journalism.

The Question IRL posted:

On a slightly related note, I saw this tweet today. Its about a scummy US practice relatedhttps://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948906657878016?t=J34jLQ6elAZemaFeJUHzeg&s=19 to takeaway delivery. It seems to be a US thing, but it's only a matter of time before someone tries to do it over here. I don't know if EU laws would prevent this, but I'd be pessimistic.
Triangulation fraud is getting easier to do and harder to detect, so it doesn't surprise me that it's growing across all sectors.

Endjinneer posted:

the enshittification of platforms
Speaking of, I found out the answer to

Guavanaut posted:

I've noticed a huge increase in brand names like this that just look like they were made by mashing a keyboard. Jdsfdlkgarfd USB cable 2m

What happened to proper company names like Dongguan Guancheng Electric Motor Winding Co., Ltd.? :corsair:
Amazon marketplace promotes brands with registered American trademarks more, strings of random letters move easily through the trademark process because nobody will have registered them, so it encourages a whole bunch of 'IOCBYHZ,' 'BANKKY,' and 'KLAQQED' brands to appear from the ether.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Your baba supplier can just whack "WANG DONG" on it and call it a day.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

blunt posted:

It's showing you them because you watch the video and/or read the comments.

If you start just skipping straight past them they'll go away in a day and be replaced with something else

That's what I do though :confused:

As soon as I see that poo poo I'm outta there but it keeps throwing it at me trying to make it stick

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Goodness me, never click on the top results of a goggle search, they will never be what you actually want!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

I love those.
It means one of your subscribed YT channels got hacked. Usually they change the channel name to variations of SpaceX or Elon
I've posted about these before in the Elon threads.
They open a chat channel, post in 'Elon wants to double your bitcoin, send him to him here' and lock the chat so that only subscribers for more than 15 years can post.
Which is none so none can call it a fake scam.
Then they play this loop of Elon giving one of his guru talks that he used to do when he had some Dogcoin trying to spike up the price, but in most they add in other people nodding away as if its a real time zoom meeting.
And sit back and hope dumb fucks send them bitcoin for them to steal.

And YT doesn't do a drat thing. They have algorithms to detect IP music videos and movies, but gently caress all when it comes to the same scam over and over again.

In this case it wasn't that. Look in the bottom right, It's literally an ad run. This was an approved, paid for and vetted advert, I assume Google vet them with AI.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Is this about Roald Dahl again?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bernard Ingham is dead by the way. F's in the chat, let the nonce accusations begin.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Bernard Ingham is dead by the way. F's in the chat, let the nonce accusations begin.

His Hillsborough comments, let him rot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

God he was a massive piece of poo poo. Glad he has finally been flushed away into a river that floats straight to Hell where he will then proceed to roast for all eternity.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

A guy I know has a side gig of making cool neon signs - he's made a number of them for The World Transformed, and actually I think he was involved in making that arcade cabinet for Thatchers' Techbase from last year's event too. Anyway, he's got a new design that he can be commissioned to produce for what seems to me like a reasonable price of £200. I thought some people here might be interested in it:

If you're curious, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

If this wasn't to your liking, how about this hanging above your mantlepiece instead?

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1629146190318129153

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it would work as an abrasive.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't eat prawns. Or anything with tentacles and wiggly bits.

Just saw someone on FB blame it on the WEF.

Bring on the Soylent Green... You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!

Or cockroach protein bars as per Snowpiercer.

Anyway, now I've googled a bit more, seems Insekt burgers are quite the thing in Switzerland & Germany.

I’n keeping tabs on local (Finnish) conspiracy etc. circles, for some hosed up reason, and it’s absolutely becoming a thing you see discussed. EU / Klaus Schwab and WEF are sneaking insect flour into normal foodstuff without labeling it, chitin and parasites will destroy our health, and so on. Wild stuff.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Thank you everybody for the advice! This is the one but I was thinking of other stuff too, I'll shoot him some stuff over, cheers.

I feel more on it recently as my dad (in his 60s) asked me recently if I had heard of Jordan Peterson and had started listening to some of his youtube videos. I saw him a few weeks later and he's switched to a carb-free diet and has been watching Ben Shapiro and other daft poo poo, which took me by surprise a bit. So I'm grateful for the chance to send them some more stuff over and try and influence my family not getting red pilled by youtube shorts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lunsku posted:

I’n keeping tabs on local (Finnish) conspiracy etc. circles, for some hosed up reason, and it’s absolutely becoming a thing you see discussed. EU / Klaus Schwab and WEF are sneaking insect flour into normal foodstuff without labeling it, chitin and parasites will destroy our health, and so on. Wild stuff.

Conspiracy stuff is, ironically, quite globalized, so they often pick up on a bunch of dumb ideas that come out of the darkest depths of the US conspiracy scene.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Conspiracy stuff is, ironically, quite globalized, so they often pick up on a bunch of dumb ideas that come out of the darkest depths of the US conspiracy scene.

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the world!

Wait, why is everybody laughing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EU, simultaneously sneaking unlabelled insect proteins into the flour and making us label everything that goes in our food with 15,000 E-numbers and may contain nuts and it's not like in the old days Geoff where you could just call a cake a cake and sometimes kids just swole up and died but we survived.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah well you see that's because they want to control you so they make honest normal farmers comply with the e numbers but also the secret insect death flour goes in everything.

Unfortunately once people are bought into the shadowy devil cabal controlling the world then every thing that does or does not happen is evidence of their nefarious plot to destroy western civilization.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's just the Protocols of Zion, Le Péril Protestant, and all that other poo poo all over again.

"If you just took all the labels off and let normal people get on with things then you'd have normal bakers baking normal bread for normal families. You might get (((some people))) stuffing all the flour with insect parts to make a quick profit, but they do it because of their membership of shadowy out-groups, not because it's something that happened all the time before regulations, so there are Solutions to that."

Bob-Moron-happy-family-picnic-on-the-killing-fields-dot-png

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

What strikes me is the syncretic nature of these things. You have the big Qanon talking point regurgitator taking what is doing rounds internationally and combining that with his trauma of economic loss and clear mental hit in 90s Finnish depression. You have two absolute weirdos taking the ”Cabal tunnels in 5 km housing troops and mole children” bit and absolutely running with it, charting the putative tunnel network of Finland by hand on their camper van.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah it is incredibly syncretic, like genuinely impressively so. But I suppose that is the appeal, because there is no real rational process behind it and it's based entirely on feels, they can accept anything that hits the right narrativistic notes in casting the world as some sort of battle between good and evil and which reinforces their existing prejudices.

I like watching the esoterica youtube channel which has a lot of stuff about ancient magical practices and I often find myself thinking back to the people who would be in like, egypt and invoking jesus, hermes trismegistus, and thoth in the same magic spell which is written in hebrew (because hebrew is the most magical language) to fix your back pain or something.

And there's no contradiction, these are all equally valid magic dudes written in a magic language and that will sort it out.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

justcola posted:

Thank you everybody for the advice! This is the one but I was thinking of other stuff too, I'll shoot him some stuff over, cheers.

I feel more on it recently as my dad (in his 60s) asked me recently if I had heard of Jordan Peterson and had started listening to some of his youtube videos. I saw him a few weeks later and he's switched to a carb-free diet and has been watching Ben Shapiro and other daft poo poo, which took me by surprise a bit. So I'm grateful for the chance to send them some more stuff over and try and influence my family not getting red pilled by youtube shorts.

The YouTube channel Some More News might also work. It’s American focused with some more general videos - leftist but often juvenile humour.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

He has elaborated more on what had him so hot and bothered.

It's basically people watching the NI Protocol Negotiations and saying "Wait a minute! That's King Charles music!"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1629193081726590976?t=gLbcOrTU-9hobAKmu72WEA&s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
sweatin' with the terfs

https://twitter.com/ICanSeeForever1/status/1626573491582521344

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to appease the DUP by moving the king over there and ruling the rest of the uk from northern ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Still calling him Prince Charles, also still calling them opal fruits and marathon bars.