Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

So far this competition has made me realize I was wrong about these kind of competitions. I always thought movies like The Game or scenarios where some kind of parallel to reality competition happens and the protagonist drops everything to do the competition were unrealistic -- like how would someone just get invested in a game and prioritize it over other things?

Now here I am staying up late and cramming my lunch break to do tasks, and loving it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Here's my PMF thread for anyone interested in starting a brouhaha

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Manifisto posted:

Snuff Melange - claims 68(!!!) uses of "disingenuous" . . . or at least 7 uses of that term. the claim is that the "work into" criterion encompasses literally editing the HTML of someone's post to make it look like they said the word. or if that doesn't fly, at least seven instances of actively including the word into a post they made. I like this interpretation, it has a "technically correct" air about it even though it is clearly contrary to the spirit of the task. I'm going to split the difference and award you four points.

i missed this and i'm in favor of 5 points GREG

Goons Are Gifts

Alright, even though I fell asleep over all the greebmas nog and couldn't dream post in time to judge, I will now finally have the chance to judge our lovely greebmas cards!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I come from a very orthordox Norilsk Greebmas background so my cards do tend to reflect my background even if I had to flee the community a decade ago. I make sure to include representations of my vermin siblings watching my sacrifice, in this case a message of praise from a friend of the past. I'm wearing my images of primates to remind myself of my ancestors and how proud they are of my ability to create fire, represented by the candles and the flames burning the sacrifice. I know, call me old fashioned. A mighty Greebmas to all, GROW STRENGTH!

e: i smell like burned paper now
Powerful, classic, old fashioned and just strong and stylish. This greebmas card has everything in it, it's like you can almost feel grandma's shouts down from the greebmas hole. Is there anything missing in the card? I don't think it is! The greebmas eyes may watch over us, as the command me to award a full five points for this powerful card!

Rarity posted:

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

Ho ho ho such a special time of year

I think it's worth mentioning that the animation style for this card was 'Chill'
Animation is the mother of greebmas, this is known. It's a simpler approach, a nice approach, strong colors and a strong animation, however, it's not as powerful. This is good as it shouldn't overwhelm our greebmas holes, however, I think there was place for more power in here. Filling up the greebmas hole without overdoing it is hard, you can't have all the greebmas jizz spilling over, but there was a little bit more place available here. The greebmas grandma shouts for a strong but not yet perfect four points!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

this is for all the grandmas out there

merry Greebmas grandmas
You can feel the grandma, you can see the hole, this card just screams greebmas all over the place. Is it as powerful as the other cards? Almost, almost. I can't quite put my finger on the hole to see what's missing, but still i am going to award three points!

Snuff Melange posted:

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

While this festive holiday is new to me, I wholeheartedly embrace it.
A physical, powerful greebmas card, the words are full of greebmas jizz, it's dripping from there, I can feel the power, the greebmas, the energy. It may be a rather simple card, but it's filling the greebmas hole nicely. Is there anything ambiguous about this card? I can't see it. I have to award a whopping four points here.

Sorry for the waiting! I was just full of greebmas juice and crashed my bed! Good thing I woke up in time to award greebmas points to fill the greebmas hole!

Charles Bukowski

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

I'm so happy I think I'll share a Tim Key poem.

A witch frigged herself off with her broom handle. Her cat watched on. Tired of it all.

Thank you Saoshyant for the lovely signature.

Goons Are Gifts

Btw I was wondering what's up with the brouhaha and the bedevils myself as I didn't have the list myself either and I find it incredibly amazing to see what solutions you guys came up with to use a certain word as often as possible without getting caught, just typical and amazing byob creativity there

Manifisto

thanks for the scores, GaG! I said I'd post the cumulative scores at the end of each day, pretend I posted this yesterday:

Rarity 26
Charles Bukowski 20
Snuff Melange 18
your friend sk 13
Dumb Sex-Parrot 12
biosterous 12
Stoner Sloth 12
barnold 10
Finger Prince 9
Quadramind 7
Tiny Myers 6
Saoshyant 3
Viginti Septem 3
Heather Papps 1

Rarity pulling out in front, but by no means an invulnerable lead! it's still anybody's competition! and remember, there are prizes for second and third place too . . . not as spiffy as the trophy, I will grant you, but respectable!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

by the way, if it's useful to anyone, I have been keeping the OP of this thread more or less up to date with the current status (i.e., what's coming up next) and links to the various tasks and scores when they become available.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Forum legends passed down through the generations will remember the brouhahas we all had in this most bedeviled of Taskmasters

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I'm enjoying watching everyone participate in this awesome BYOB event. My schedule is probably more than I can add to at the moment so I will continue to observe and jump in where I can. :)

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Manifisto posted:

thanks for the scores, GaG! I said I'd post the cumulative scores at the end of each day, pretend I posted this yesterday:

Rarity 26
Charles Bukowski 20
Snuff Melange 18
your friend sk 13
Dumb Sex-Parrot 12
biosterous 12
Stoner Sloth 12
barnold 10
Finger Prince 9
Quadramind 7
Tiny Myers 6
Saoshyant 3
Viginti Septem 3
Heather Papps 1

Rarity pulling out in front, but by no means an invulnerable lead! it's still anybody's competition! and remember, there are prizes for second and third place too . . . not as spiffy as the trophy, I will grant you, but respectable!

hell yeah. Watch out, competitors :blastu:

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

drat it, I'm like the lowest ranked one. I will climb all the way to mid, I promise you! I'm always middle of the road, never good, never bad, and I shall make it true this time as well!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

Rarity 26
Charles Bukowski 20
Snuff Melange 18
your friend sk 13
Dumb Sex-Parrot 12
biosterous 12
Stoner Sloth 12
barnold 10
Finger Prince 9
Quadramind 7
Tiny Myers 6
Saoshyant 3
Viginti Septem 3
Heather Papps 1

thanks, it'll be useful later on to have the pre-curse of Uluru scores. the precursors you might say!

Manifisto

while we're waiting for our new task (and working furiously on our puppet shows), I want to share with you an exclusive, limited-supply bonus gift for taskmaster participants:

BYOB taskmaster lapel pins!! the perfect decoration for your weed rear end hat, or other bit of clothing!

these pins are courtesy of Holland Oates/hamjobs, who requests that she be referred to as "little alex horne" for the duration of BYOB taskmaster, and who has decided to be extra about it!

at the moment I think we're doing okay with quantities, but quantities are indeed limited, and you secure your place in line by completing a task!! or being a guest judge--don't worry, judges also qualify for a cool taskmaster lapel pin.

ty nesamdoom!

Quadramind

Oh, dang, that's cool as hell.

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Manifisto posted:

while we're waiting for our new task (and working furiously on our puppet shows), I want to share with you an exclusive, limited-supply bonus gift for taskmaster participants:

BYOB taskmaster lapel pins!! the perfect decoration for your weed rear end hat, or other bit of clothing!

these pins are courtesy of Holland Oates/hamjobs, who requests that she be referred to as "little alex horne" for the duration of BYOB taskmaster, and who has decided to be extra about it!

at the moment I think we're doing okay with quantities, but quantities are indeed limited, and you secure your place in line by completing a task!! or being a guest judge--don't worry, judges also qualify for a cool taskmaster lapel pin.

:eek:

Manifisto

our new task will be up very shortly! I would hold your breath if I were you!!

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Greetings all, I've been really busy with a NEW BYOBABY and stuff, and I have missed my friends at the yob lately. But here I am pleased to bring you...

TASK 7!

I love music. But you know who's had it too good for too long? Musical instruments. Sittin all pretty up on their guitar stands and their piano rooms and such. It's about time someone took them down a peg (a tuning peg hehehe), don't you think? Yes, I believe it is REGULAR OBJECTS' time to shine, in the music world.

Create a song, a tune, a melody, a music, using only regular objects that are not proper musical instruments. Your voice may be used, kind of an edge case isn't it, but your voice cannot be the only thing you have to use some objects to make music.

Entries are due at 5 pm eastern. Time starts now.

alnilam

Many of you will already know this but just so everyone's aware, vocaroo dot com may be very helpful, in terms of submitting your entry. Youtube, soundcloud, etc are all also fine if you prefer.

Manifisto

thank you current byob superstar, former byob moderator, and (currently) the one and only Mx. BYOB in the history of that competition, alnilam! I'm very happy that things are going well with byobaby, and honored you have agreed to join us for taskmaster!!

ty nesamdoom!

Charles Bukowski

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

This is where the magic happens:

I will be performing a traditional song of my people, cringe early 90's PSA level rap, with a pumice stone foot scratcher, several BBQ lighers, a 45 lb kettlebell, and the vocal style of someone that aspires to the levels of Riff Raff.

https://voca.ro/1iDdIJg9bv60

I can only apologize. I'm sitting next to 3 guitars, a dulcimer, a ukelele, a recorder, and a keyboard. I can't use them to make music? My first instinct was to record me beating up a bunch of empty boxes in my storage room, but I need those boxes. Those are retirement boxes. Chuckie B OUT! -mic drop- -goes under the stage where he's hidden a sleeping blanket because I live here now until they discover me-

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Charles Bukowski posted:

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

This is where the magic happens:

I will be performing a traditional song of my people, cringe early 90's PSA level rap, with a pumice stone foot scratcher, several BBQ lighers, a 45 lb kettlebell, and the vocal style of someone that aspires to the levels of Riff Raff.

https://voca.ro/1iDdIJg9bv60

I can only apologize. I'm sitting next to 3 guitars, a dulcimer, a ukelele, a recorder, and a keyboard. I can't use them to make music? My first instinct was to record me beating up a bunch of empty boxes in my storage room, but I need those boxes. Those are retirement boxes. Chuckie B OUT! -mic drop- -goes under the stage where he's hidden a sleeping blanket because I live here now until they discover me-

That had me dying, I'm pulling for you getting a 5/5 for this one. Too good lmao.

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

My own song, on the other hand...is a little more subdued. My only hope is that, perhaps, it might make you, oh....feel good?

https://voca.ro/13E6aLwXLRGC

Used a broom, empty milk jugs, silverware, plastic cups, a full unopened potato chip bag.

Charles Bukowski

Thanks very much, it just flowed from the heart. I liked your song too, I kept expecting Blue Monday to start which got me excited! Good luck as well!!

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

We also have the same exact Snowball / Blue mic, except mine is black!

Charles Bukowski

I like it but I have nothing to clip the stand to, my table desk is both wood and has too narrow a lip for me to gouge it with. Maybe I'll find some shelves or something I can install and wire it to, get my recording career back on track.

Manifisto

just a few minutes to get your puppet dance video in for judging!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

. . . aaand puppet dance submissions are CLOSED! it will take a short while to get the judging together, but stay tuned . . .

Goons Are Gifts

thank you al for coming back for this special occasion and guest judging this craziest of all events! I'm so happy to see you and hear that our collective byobabby is doing great and yet you have time to judge taskmaster!! I told you guys we have some crazy superstars available for taskmaster, you see, it wasn't an exaggeration!!

alnilam

Glad to be a part of it :anime:

If I've done my time zone math right i believe there are :frogsiren: 12 minutes left!! :derp: for the music task

ty manifisto

Manifisto

I am not doing it for the points, just to see how hard the task is. and it's a bit of a challenge if you're not very familiar with the music software!

https://vocaroo.com/1zIg6BQ1RrZM

non-musical items include: wineglass, chopsticks, cookie sheet pan, bag of pistachios (salted), water pouring into glass, voice

someday this could be a whole opera, maybe??

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNQnjbp_asE

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

okay friends, it's 5:00ish, submissions are closed for Task 7!

Manifisto

while we are awaiting the judging for tasks 6 and 7, I wanted to let you know we have two more tasks tonight! one is another overnight task, to be announced around 7PM EST. But before that, at around 6:00PM, we are doing a TRASHED CREW LIGHTNING ROUND TASK. It should be fun, don't miss out!!

ty nesamdoom!

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Manifisto posted:

I am not doing it for the points, just to see how hard the task is. and it's a bit of a challenge if you're not very familiar with the music software!

https://vocaroo.com/1zIg6BQ1RrZM

non-musical items include: wineglass, chopsticks, cookie sheet pan, bag of pistachios (salted), water pouring into glass, voice

someday this could be a whole opera, maybe??

fantastic, really evokes a sort of Misty Mountains hobbit style epic.

e:

aw! love this too

Charles Bukowski

I find the other submissions to be very zen. And jazz. Zen jazz. Zazz? Behind all the notes you're not playing I hear the sounds of the universe. Good showing all!

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been out at a works leaving drinks, I am so ready for a TRASHED CREW LIGHTNING ROUND

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Manifisto posted:

while we are awaiting the judging for tasks 6 and 7, I wanted to let you know we have two more tasks tonight! one is another overnight task, to be announced around 7PM EST. But before that, at around 6:00PM, we are doing a TRASHED CREW LIGHTNING ROUND TASK. It should be fun, don't miss out!!

I'm here repping Trashed Crew :cmon:

task me up daddy

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Charles Bukowski

I AM HERE TO DEVOUR TASKS

Manifisto

Task 8: TRASHED CREW LIGHTNING ROUND

Some BYOB old-timers may be familiar with crang. Your lightning round task: in twenty five minutes, make a crang-based (or crang-evocative) cocktail, entirely out of edible/drinkable items (the glass or container doesn't count of course, you don't drink it, unless you do in which case it should be edible)! Your cocktail may, but does not have to, contain alcohol or other inebriants, that's entirely up to you. Fruit cocktail don't got no alcohol! Post a photo of your cocktail ITT by 6:25PM EST . . . and await further instructions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Areola Grande posted:

I'm here repping Trashed Crew :cmon:

task me up daddy

long time no see, partner o7