Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Waiting for a sale tbh. Steam reviews have a ton of manbabies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll bet it has some noble Nazi poo poo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Well the first campaign has you play as Das Afrika Korps. Besides, there's no soviets so lelic really can't do the canadian past-time of saying that they were worse.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't think I'll buy another Company of Heroes game after the second one which was straight up Nazi propaganda

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
look its a canadian company. When the eastern front for the expansion comes out they will just put the soviets on the axis side and the Politically active people on the Allied side.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Company of Heroiam Slava

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it sucks because relic's sound design and audio directing made the soviets really charming. T-34 saying stuff like "follow your big sister"

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
CoH2 really was inexcusable nazi apologia and I'm still not over that, but also I thought it was pretty lacking in terms of gameplay too. I was expecting to hate 3 but I gave the multiplayer tech test a go and actually enjoyed it a lot because it felt far more like CoH1 again, so I picked it up on release. I've only played the Italy campaign a little so far and it's made me realise how good Creative Assembly is at these turn-based campaign layers because it is pretty loving clunky here by comparison (and not helped by some intense and limiting tutorialisation). However I do like the look of some of the mechanics there and the first proper scripted mission, the invasion of Salerno, was a lot of fun. The 'story' is very mediocre at best but at least it's not nazi apologia here (and Italian resistance fighters are already playing a decently sized role, though I doubt it'll go into how communist-dominated they were). I'll play more and report back.

The African campaign being from the Afrika Korps perspective makes me raise an eyebrow and expect the worst but I read that at least its narrative is more about Libyans dealing with the occupation and stuff like that, which sounds better than the Opposing Fronts thing of totally apolitical SS officer brothers just wanting to do a good job of being soldiers

I'm having zero performance issues or bugs so far but one of my friends also bought it and he has a much better PC than me but is having constant freezes in singleplayer, and he got an incredible bug in the first skirmish he tried where his own faction was being AI controlled (training units, issuing orders) and his own clicks were being ignored lol. like he'd found some secret Demo Mode in the game

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
COH2 gameplay was an extension of CoH1 where the big thing was they got quite a few QOL improvements and the truesight system with dynamic Line of Sight.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

played 4v4s tonight and it was pretty fun. I think I'll like the campaign too but I'm so finicky that rtwp will make each mission last four hours

UI sux, main menu / grouping can be janky, nothing gamebreaking. setting poo poo up in buildings is cool

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
oh yeah the UI is horrible, oversized and weirdly arranged. but it works, I guess.

also it's bizarre that they hide away the option to switch to a WASD camera setup so much, I guess they wanted to keep the Classic CoH Hotkeys

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

oh yeah the UI is horrible, oversized and weirdly arranged. but it works, I guess.

also it's bizarre that they hide away the option to switch to a WASD camera setup so much, I guess they wanted to keep the Classic CoH Hotkeys

I hadn't hosed with the settings or keybinds yet but this was pissing me off. in one of the official youtube tutorials released today a designer mentioned it saying "well arrow keys are MY favorite but you can use wsad as well" but it wasn't on default when we started multiplayer

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the default system now is the grid key system.

Also the game has ambient animals like donkeys just hanging about.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

someone in the games thread also mentioned tons of misclicks and choosing the wrong units which I noticed as well. some actions take a couple tries

edit lol yeah I hung out with some donkeys in the italian prologue mission

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

i say swears online posted:

I hadn't hosed with the settings or keybinds yet but this was pissing me off. in one of the official youtube tutorials released today a designer mentioned it saying "well arrow keys are MY favorite but you can use wsad as well" but it wasn't on default when we started multiplayer

yeah you have to go to to the options then controls then click View And Remap Profiles or something then choose the Default WASD Profile instead. and that has its own bizarre choices like changing camera angle from alt to ctrl+alt for no apparent reason

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah you have to go to to the options then controls then click View And Remap Profiles or something then choose the Default WASD Profile instead. and that has its own bizarre choices like changing camera angle from alt to ctrl+alt for no apparent reason
christ lol

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was gifted Company of Heroes 2 by a goon who today works in a DC think tank dedicated to making a more hawkish US foreign policy.

Never played the game, but it crosses my mind sometimes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ive played the tutorial so far and a little more and it seems entertaining it def has bugs that need fixing, but i dont get the big hate maybe it isnt nazi enough for the losers on steam

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HallelujahLee posted:

ive played the tutorial so far and a little more and it seems entertaining it def has bugs that need fixing, but i dont get the big hate maybe it isnt nazi enough for the losers on steam

The impression I'm getting is that the RTS part js good but the campaign isnt?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love rtwp too much to poo poo on the campaign just yet

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

The impression I'm getting is that the RTS part js good but the campaign isnt?

i havent tested the total war type one yet the afrika corps one seems fine so far but im only about to get to mission 2

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How is the new Kerbal Space Program?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Company of Heroes was always sus, I think I remember hearing or reading some poo poo about how they just wanted to show how they were just regular brave/heroic soldiers in the market garden campaign.

Not that I really took note of it at the time, but the signs were there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lostconfused posted:

Company of Heroes was always sus, I think I remember hearing or reading some poo poo about how they just wanted to show how they were just regular brave/heroic soldiers in the market garden campaign.

I think it's fairly transparent that their motivation, which isn't uncommon in both videogames and in tabletop wargames, is that they just wanted the opportunity to play with Nazi toys, without having to grapple with their attachment to Nazi ideology.

The German force you play as in that campaign is even called "Kampfgruppe Lehr" to tie it to the actual Lehr Division, which was the training Panzer division that was mobilised hastily into an actual fighting division (and then destroyed and re-made several times over lmao). This feels like an attempt to further portray them as "unwilling" participants, e.g. "these are the guys that trained the bad guys, not the bad guys themselves, you guys!!"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly if you're going to do a Nazi campaign in a strategy campaign don't even bother with trying to justify it in a dramatic way like that. Just do it like Empire Earth's Germany campaign and have it be a bunch of guys with goofy accents telling you to conquer Europe.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Empire Earth was hilarious, I love that game

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i havent gotton far enough in the campaign but im sure they will weasel it someway i remember coh2 being almost entire soviets bad bad bad no criticism at all of the nazis

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

HallelujahLee posted:

i havent gotton far enough in the campaign but im sure they will weasel it someway i remember coh2 being almost entire soviets bad bad bad no criticism at all of the nazis

that tendency is only getting worse and worse and worse and i'm so mad about it lmao

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Company of Heroes has always been pretty heavily into the myths of the elite wehrmacht and invincible German tanks and all the rest of the baggage that goes with popular western WW2 history. The first one was a great RTS in spite of that, the second lost the spark and had a very... Canadian... perspective on the USSR to boot (the campaign was all Soviet war crimes and the Germans were squeaky clean even though it was from the Soviet perspective lol).

I'm enjoying 3 a lot though. The campaign map remains clunky but I like what they're doing mechanically. It's sort of funny that their Band of Brothers ripoff title in the first game has committed them to making you move "companies" around on the map though, even though they behave more like battalions if not a higher level formation.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

The SS brothers are also big landowners. They cry about the family estate at some point in the campaign. Just blood and soil boys.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I liked Company of Heroes when I was a kid but I only like remember the US airborne and pretty much everything they got from Saving Private Ryan I guess.

I spent way more time on Dawn of War anyway.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
They cribbed everything from Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. That's why it was good.

For CoH2 they cribbed poo poo movies like Enemy at the Gates.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

The SS brothers are also big landowners. They cry about the family estate at some point in the campaign. Just blood and soil boys.

lmao I forgot about that bit

pour one out for the Junker Boys and their palatial lands that are now almost definitely part of Poland

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

They cribbed everything from Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. That's why it was good.

For CoH2 they cribbed poo poo movies like Enemy at the Gates.

begging game devs to read a single history book

no!! not Antony Beevor!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
people played coh for the single player?

granted the panzer elite were an unbalanced mess in mp

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

that tendency is only getting worse and worse and worse and i'm so mad about it lmao
it was def a big putoff in finishing that campaign

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

people played coh for the single player?

granted the panzer elite were an unbalanced mess in mp

i played the first one for the destructible terrain

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

Empire Earth was hilarious, I love that game

Swarming your laser robots with my Sopwith camel/dragoon combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

is empire earth the one where theres a soviet campaign and you conquer the world if its that one then yeah that was great