Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bugblatter posted:

During the second phase of the first boss, after the icon on the right side of the screen is filled and flashing and your buddy is telling you to use the power… how do you use it? The placement of the icon makes it seem like it should be r1 + circle, but that does nothing?

That boss fight was a motherfucker and a half. I could get the first phase down to a point where I could deflect his attacks with about a 90% success rate and frequently got to phase 2 without taking a hit, and then got absolutely WRECKED in the second half of phase 2.

Took me an embarrassing amount of time to notice the "press circle and triangle to immediately end the fight" prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am really curious if the go HAM with a sword strategy continues to work throughout the game. It’s the style of gameplay they said they want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Calidus posted:

I am really curious if the go HAM with a sword strategy continues to work throughout the game. It’s the style of gameplay they said they want.

It's funny if they did because after the first boss I just clobbered everything to death with his comically huge mace.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That boss fight was a motherfucker and a half. I could get the first phase down to a point where I could deflect his attacks with about a 90% success rate and frequently got to phase 2 without taking a hit, and then got absolutely WRECKED in the second half of phase 2.

Took me an embarrassing amount of time to notice the "press circle and triangle to immediately end the fight" prompt.

I never saw the prompt… only know because of this thread. I kinda wonder if there’s a bug that kept it from displaying cause I was searching all over the screen for it…

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

goferchan posted:

Character creator fuckin rules. There are 3 separate sliders for "moustache curliness adjustment". Bummer it's 60fps locked on PC though!

Huh just an FYI, apparently the version from the Microsoft Store is not locked to 60FPS and generally runs smoother than the Steam one. It seems like the Steam demo is an older build or something? Very weird, but that's encouraging!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

is there a setting with the camera i'm missing on PC? it feels like it's either got mouse acceleration tied to it or some kind of weird 8-directional lock, because there's points where i can smoothly rotate it and other points where it will only rotate if i very quickly yank my mouse around

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
On PC framerates, from the FAQ:

quote:

Q: Will the framerate be uncapped for the PC version?
A: It will run at a maximum of 120 fps. (Not supported in the final demo version.)
Q: Will Steam Deck be supported?
A: It is Steam Deck unsupported.
Q: Does the game support 120hz VRR?
A: 120hz is only supported by the Steam® and Microsoft Store version. VRR is not supported.
Additionally, the PC requirements page:

quote:

Verified to run at 4K (2160p), 60 fps maximum with NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 (VRAM 12GB), with Graphics Settings set to Standard.
Verified to run at 1080p, 120 fps maximum with Intel® Core™ i9-12900, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3090 (VRAM 24GB) with Graphics Settings set to Best Performance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This blind boy is messing with my parry timing with his throwing knives :argh: can’t wait to get rid of him

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oh, don't worry about that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I only just started the demo but the thing that instantly jumped at me was...where the hell did all of the mechanics go?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

finished the demo and loved it. there's definitely some janky bits with the PC port that need to be sorted out - most notably the camera (which i swear to god is some kind of hacked-together joystick input, for whatever reason) - but it's otherwise got all the things i was expecting out of it

Jack Trades posted:

I only just started the demo but the thing that instantly jumped at me was...where the hell did all of the mechanics go?

the move was always going to be to strip down nioh 2 to its essentials and then give it some polish, since the truly staggering amount of mechanics packed into that game limited the potential playerbase to people who liked the hardcore mechanical expression of mastering multiple fluid combos, stepping between weapon styles, etc.

the core mechanical thrust of the game is primarily a combination of sekiro parries (which are satisfying and generally feel fair) and spirit management: you want to attack to build up high spirit and then burn it without pushing yourself too much into low spirit, since low spirit regens slower, and getting clobbered while you're already at low spirit will stagger you and probably lead to you dying. the rest of it is the same as in nioh, where you want to burn an enemy's max spirit with martial arts, debuff them with various status effects, and attempt to get them into stagger for crits. it's a simple but effective combination of elements, but it's going to disappoint if you were looking for the same kind of keyboard piano that nioh 2 had

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

I never saw the prompt… only know because of this thread. I kinda wonder if there’s a bug that kept it from displaying cause I was searching all over the screen for it…

The same thing is happening to me on PS5, not sure what the deal is but the tutorial keeps telling me to look at a meter that doesn't seem to be there

Also is there ever a reason to not deflect

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

it's a simple but effective combination of elements, but it's going to disappoint if you were looking for the same kind of keyboard piano that nioh 2 had

Well, count me disappointed then because if I wanted to watch a bar slowly fill and deplete over and over then I'd play a soulslike instead.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The same thing is happening to me on PS5, not sure what the deal is but the tutorial keeps telling me to look at a meter that doesn't seem to be there

the "meter" is an indistinct icon off to the right near your martial arts indicators that slowly turns full white over time, i definitely didn't notice it until the prompt came up telling me about it

as for deflect, it's clearly meant to be the main form of defense, with dodging being more of a way to rapidly gain distance if you're being overwhelmed, and guarding being there for less skilled players to be able to get through the game

Jack Trades posted:

Well, count me disappointed then because if I wanted to watch a bar slowly fill and deplete over and over then I'd play a soulslike instead.

that's completely fair; i liked the mechanical expression of nioh 2, but i'm also happy to play sekiro with character building

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah, people on reddit were saying that this isn't like Sekiro because you can block attacks super well! The gently caress you can, you'll be staggered after a couple of hits. The game sinks or swims on how well you learn to deflect, and I wish they didn't constantly do the lovely thing of putting in delays and fakeouts in attack animations, because you can't really visually react to so many of them, you have to learn each attack's individual deflect timing the hard way.

I'm gonna see that putting off a lot of people, because the deflect window is still quite tight. Gonna be a lot of people refunding after beating their heads on the first boss for a bunch of time. If they even get there.

Personally I loved Sekiro and I'm kinda hanging in there with this one, but I am taking a lot of hits that feel like cheap bullshit and it's kinda frustrating, doubly so because they start you off with only three healing juices.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the only attack that really kept loving me up consistently was the first boss's P2 double swing, and i have no clue why

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vermain posted:

the only attack that really kept loving me up consistently was the first boss's P2 double swing, and i have no clue why

Yeah that sucks, but weirdly I found the boss to be the most figureoutable. The regular enemies are so loving fast and just spam weird poo poo constantly that it's a huge pain.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

my goodness this runs like complete poo poo for me, constant stuttering making parrying impossible (despite apparently running at 70-80 fps)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

my goodness this runs like complete poo poo for me, constant stuttering making parrying impossible (despite apparently running at 70-80 fps)

it's probably our good old friend mr. lack of shader caching, which seems to be plaguing a comical amount of new releases for whatever reason

i'm on an RTX 3070 Ti and i only occasionally got stutters during deaths and boss defeat screens on performance mode, so it must be something hardware-specific

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Apparently the Gamepass version runs much better than Steam? Haven't tried it myself but the Steam demo was quite a bit framey. It's supposedly running on an earlier build, not great but didn't bother me that much either way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yeah im on the gamepass version, and my 5700xt is getting some serious wonkiness. Especially compared to Atomic Heart which is running everything buttery on Ultra

5700xt should absolutely be able to handle this at 1080p

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently the Gamepass version runs much better than Steam? Haven't tried it myself but the Steam demo was quite a bit framey. It's supposedly running on an earlier build, not great but didn't bother me that much either way.

it's apparently also able to run at 120 FPS while steam is locked to 60 FPS for whatever reason, so i have to guess there's some kind of versioning shenanigans afoot

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Is this like jackie chan adventures my favorite cartoon?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a way to get the demo through the Xbox app on PC? It shows up in the browser version, but doesn't seem to be available on the app and the link from the browser to the app goes nowhere.

Failing that, do we know whether the demo save from the Steam demo will be compatible with the gamepass full version?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loved the demo - they pretty much changed exactly what I wanted from the last one, and lol at the complaint about the parry window being tight because it's so much more lenient here than it was then. It feels perfect to me - probably my favourite parry since Metal Gear Rising.

It is pretty rough that they start you out with Zhang Liang, though - he felt more aggressive than he did in the last demo, but once I figured out what you actually had to do (use the spirit summon), I beat him first try. The second boss is pretty breezy by comparison.

LOVE the staff. Though I'm wondering if there are more spirit super moves to choose from per weapon because the default ones kinda suck. The performance stuff is also a bit disappointing, but hopefully DLSS should help there.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 24, 2023

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Perestroika posted:

Is there a way to get the demo through the Xbox app on PC? It shows up in the browser version, but doesn't seem to be available on the app and the link from the browser to the app goes nowhere.

Failing that, do we know whether the demo save from the Steam demo will be compatible with the gamepass full version?

If you get it through the Microsoft store it shows up in gamepass

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

If you get it through the Microsoft store it shows up in gamepass

That did the trick, thanks!

Also what the gently caress Microsoft get your poo poo in order :psyduck:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Got the steam demo since the Windows store refuses to let me see the demo page, preloading the full game works fine though. The game is pretty ok and the spells for spirit system means you can actually use them( or do some cheap poo poo like poising the 15 morale monster to death when you are way lower than that) . But yeah I'm not a fan of the parrying, on a base level it works fine, especially against normal enemy attacks, but against the first boss and most critical attacks the animations mean that you aren't reacting and parrying, you are instead trying to remember how long the animation is and counting down to when you can actually parry it. It seems they are just trying to gently caress you over instead of making it actually interesting.

This might also be the first Nioh I'll be boring and play with the sword, because so far none of the other weapon animations agree with me, they are just to long/flashy to actually feel responsive.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe I’m dumb but is there no way to get rid of your NPC helper friend? I have Zhao Yun hanging out with me now and he’s cool and all but I find him very distracting

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

Trying out the demo on Steam. Can't get past the intro cutscene because it's playing in slow motion and can't be skipped. Fun.

Edit: They forgot to package a codec or something with their game.

Thinking back I bet this is exactly what I was getting. I thought it was growling like a dragon or something was talking to you, but it was actually just the cutscene dialogue being played at 1% speed :raise: I did notice that the PC demo was 2.00 while the PS was 2.01, have they pushed out any patches for PC since this morning?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

cool demo but the level design seems to be even less interesting than Nioh. maybe its truncated for the demo, that boss seemed really early in the level

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is this like Sekiro where either you can parry or you're out of options?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Is this like Sekiro where either you can parry or you're out of options?

you do have some options: you can guard and dodge, though they're both less efficient than deflects, and you can also just bulk up with a bunch of armor, spec earth/wood, and use their respective wizardries to get mega tanky

the intent is still to engage with at least some of the enemies with deflect, especially bosses, but you can probably get by with the other options reasonably well

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they're more like nioh 2 burst counters that make boss fights a lot easier

you're going to see people parry a lot more because the input window is insanely generous (like sekiro)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This really is Nioh's Sekiro huh. That game also removed a bunch of complexity from the combat in favor of a more streamlined experience.

One thing I'll say is the action is a lot more Wuxia than Nioh, especially the weapon movesets which can be...weird.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished the demo on PS5.

-No performance issues on PS5 in performance mode.
-Haven't played Nioh 2 only Nioh 1 but if people are missing the ki flux/stance changes, I think the parry + martial art + spell system make up for it.
-I am not sure about the reinforcement(ai companion) mechanic, it definitely made the game much easier than in the demo in non boss fights.
-Big slow weapons are viable even though it feels like they are too slow for the pace of the boss's. You can staggers off.
-Definitely feels alot like Sekiro where you have to play to the tune of the boss.
-The fortitude/moral system seems kinda busted once you get really high rank on it, you can tank multiple unblockable boss hits.
-The first boss fight was very good and I got stuck on him for a while. But the 2 bosses in the 2nd level were very easy. Each time they died I was expecting a phase 2.
-Character creator like everyone else said is amazing, the best part about their games is your character actually looks bad rear end unlike in Fromsoft games.

All in all it seems really good. I like the setting and can't wait to see what they do with characters like Lu Bu, Cao Cao.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

re: companions: the game literally never tells you this for whatever reason, but you get an unlimited use item in your inventory you can use to dismiss them, can't remember the name but it's some kind of branch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Btw if you’re struggling with the 2nd phase of the 1st boss you only need to get him to around 70% and then you can use Triangle+Circle(not sure what is is on PC) to end the fight. I think the message to tell you this is bugged because it doesn’t appear right away

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

Btw if you’re struggling with the 2nd phase of the 1st boss you only need to get him to around 70% and then you can use Triangle+Circle(not sure what is is on PC) to end the fight. I think the message to tell you is bugged because it doesn’t appear right away

it's tied to building up your guardian beast meter (the dragon icon on the right, next to your martial arts icons), so your best bet is to try and spirit break him as fast as possible, since that seems to fill it up faster than just whacking away at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Vermain posted:

re: companions: the game literally never tells you this for whatever reason, but you get an unlimited use item in your inventory you can use to dismiss them, can't remember the name but it's some kind of branch

That's the ticket, thanks! a companion is fine in the From souls games but a game where parrying is a major mechanic id like the boss to be focused on me at all times