Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

hawowanlawow posted:

Tried watching Stephen King's Desperation and couldn't make it more than about 30 minutes. King trying to be funny is just ....not funny.

Sounds like a fitting title, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have vague memories of watching that on TV when it first came out, I was big into Hellboy at the time so anything with Ron Perlman in it seemed appealing. It was not.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Season 1 and to an extent 2 of the Simpsons are good, but not quite the Simpsons. Plus 3-8 is just such an insanely good stretch of television that almost anything else is going to compare unfavorably to it.

s1 is extremely fascinating to me because i can never get how something like THAT managed to take off. it's virtually nothing like what people actually think of when they think of the simpsons. it's horrendously animated, homer has a persona that only existed in that season, overtly maudlin, and probably worst of all, it's just not funny. yeah, there may be a handful of decently clever lines here and there, but it doesn't come across as a comedy show. it's more like a family drama with some humorous lines/gags thrown in here and there. even as a dumb 8 year old who was willing to consume anything that was animated, i was puzzled at the popularity of the show at the time, as i thought it looked like complete rear end and wasn't even that entertaining. i mean sure i watched every episode but only cause there was nothing else cartoon wise that was playing at 8 pm on a sunday (we wouldn't get cable until several years later).

i'm not a fan of season 2 either, but at least for that season, all the characters are a bit more solidified, the animation, while still not great, improved by leaps and bounds, and started to slowly find its voice. If s2 came first, i could at least understand how the show might have picked up traction. and then comes season 3, completely solidifying the simpsons as people think of it, and s1 by that point looks like it's from another series entirely.

also, i never understood how the hell 'bartmania' was ever a thing. i know people were complaining that bart was a bad influence on the kids, but...the simpons wasn't supposed to be designed for kids in the first place!

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Feb 27, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Season 1 Simpsons had this whole bit though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-r8ymnVvo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CJacobs posted:

This happened with the Dead Space Remake and it was maddening. All kinds of garbage reviews about how the science fiction game is The Bad Woke for including people of diverse races on your crew and on the space ship's advertising, and for having gender neutral bathrooms. Both of which it had in the original game in 2008, and which it still has now because it is a remake of that game. Utterly maddening.

Oh lord, do you have any links to this? I wish to expose myself to the stupidity.

I mean, I've been watching SGF's playthrough of it, and there are a few things that peeve me off (the most egregious example being a text log stating that an alien organism infects things via the mechanism of osmosis), but it's never these things that these lunatics get het up about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My younger brother has an amusing complaint about the Dead Space Remake - Isaac Clarke was always supposed to be just a generic white guy under the mask, and he still is, but he's no longer the same generic white guy. He's a generic white guy who doesn't look like Isaac Clarke.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mr Interweb posted:

s1 is extremely fascinating to me because i can never get how something like THAT managed to take off. it's virtually nothing like what people actually think of when they think of the simpsons. it's horrendously animated, homer has a persona that only existed in that season, overtly maudlin, and probably worst of all, it's just not funny. yeah, there may be a handful of decently clever lines here and there, but it doesn't come across as a comedy show. it's more like a family drama with some humorous lines/gags thrown in here and there.
The Simpsons' inception is being a parody of overtly saccharine 80s family shows that were oversaturating the airwaves with clone after clone of Family Ties & Co. so it's not surprising that this is what it looked like at first.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Simpsons was animated and cartoons are for children.
That was an enormous part of it. The Simpsons deserves lots of credit for breaking a lot of ground and innovating the way comedy was - and could - be done on television, but like Married... With Children did 'parody of the wholesome nuclear family' first and was even more sleazy and raunchy. There's a few reasons I think why MWC got less of a moral panic than the Simpsons did - although part of it was almost certainly that the parody and social satire in the Simpsons was generally more pointed and biting - but absolutely a huge reason is the simple fact that MWC was live action and The Simpsons was made and aired in a time when adults believed animation was something exclusively for children.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Samovar posted:

Oh lord, do you have any links to this? I wish to expose myself to the stupidity.

Two specific examples I've seen:
— They replaced one of the generic security mooks from the Kellion crew with a black woman who is given slightly more screen time to seem like an actual person. Mind you, in the original, the guy is so inconsequential that he isn't even listed as part of the crew when the game starts. His defining character traits were "has a mustache" and "stares at a computer before getting stabbed."
— There is a now infamous piece of graffiti in the Remake that says "gently caress this ship, it's a lovely capitalist organization" and a lot of chuds were upset about this being shoved into the game now that it is so trendy to hate on capitalism. But it turns out that the developers literally just copied it from the original, right down to the exact font.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was controversial that Bart only sometimes called adults 'sir'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BioEnchanted posted:

My younger brother has an amusing complaint about the Dead Space Remake - Isaac Clarke was always supposed to be just a generic white guy under the mask, and he still is, but he's no longer the same generic white guy. He's a generic white guy who doesn't look like Isaac Clarke.

I have no idea why but when I played Dead Space I thought Isaac was black and I got a surprise when we saw under his mask.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are ya'll in here only now coming to the realization the joke of Bart Simpson (rude)?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was controversial that Bart only sometimes called adults 'sir'.

Lol what?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

Tried watching Stephen King's Desperation and couldn't make it more than about 30 minutes. King trying to be funny is just ....not funny.

That's the movie's fault. The introduction to Desperation the book is one of King's best, just an utter cold-blooded massacre from the word go that immediately shows how the novel takes place in hell on earth and everyone dies there. It loses some steam in the middle, but goddamn it's vicious overall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Samovar posted:

I mean, I've been watching SGF's playthrough of it, and there are a few things that peeve me off (the most egregious example being a text log stating that an alien organism infects things via the mechanism of osmosis), but it's never these things that these lunatics get het up about.

I wish I'd waited for his play through. I made the mistake of watching 'Fighting Cowboy' and, holy poo poo, what an arrogant thin-skinned rear end in a top hat.

Constantly arguing with people in the comments, even pausing the game to rant at them about how little he cared over any perceived slights and how great he thought he was. At one point he said he was going to grab a sandwich from the kitchen and just left for almost 15 minutes.

Felt so bad for the people who had watched him on Twitch. At least on YouTube I could fast forward through all the bullshit.

Really makes you appreciate people like SuperGreatFriend.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You could probably take just about any kids cartoon from the 90s these chuds like, scrape off the name and just refeed them the pitch and suddenly they'll call it woke garbage.

I think someone actually tried that with Gargoyles a few months ago to the expected results.

Just going to share this thread again (did it several times on the forums, bit don't think i have in this thread)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1553313104326340608.html

Edit: lol, just noticed you even mentioned Gargoyles.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Feb 27, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Simpsons was made and aired in a time when adults believed animation was something exclusively for children.
This is true, in the sense that The Simpsons is still being made and aired today.

OK, it's less common now, but there are definitely still people who won't watch anything animated because cartoons are for kids. King of the Hill; Archer; Bojack Horseman: well, they're animated so they must be for kids, right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Generic American posted:

Two specific examples I've seen:
— They replaced one of the generic security mooks from the Kellion crew with a black woman who is given slightly more screen time to seem like an actual person. Mind you, in the original, the guy is so inconsequential that he isn't even listed as part of the crew when the game starts. His defining character traits were "has a mustache" and "stares at a computer before getting stabbed."
— There is a now infamous piece of graffiti in the Remake that says "gently caress this ship, it's a lovely capitalist organization" and a lot of chuds were upset about this being shoved into the game now that it is so trendy to hate on capitalism. But it turns out that the developers literally just copied it from the original, right down to the exact font.

Oh yeah, I noticed those. But, uh, y'know, I didn't think anything more of them because... Because at least in this aspect I am not utterly moronic? I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

These fools make one envy the days of Jack Thompson and Mary Whitehouse.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Feb 27, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Simpsons was animated and cartoons are for children.
That was an enormous part of it. The Simpsons deserves lots of credit for breaking a lot of ground and innovating the way comedy was - and could - be done on television, but like Married... With Children did 'parody of the wholesome nuclear family' first and was even more sleazy and raunchy. There's a few reasons I think why MWC got less of a moral panic than the Simpsons did - although part of it was almost certainly that the parody and social satire in the Simpsons was generally more pointed and biting - but absolutely a huge reason is the simple fact that MWC was live action and The Simpsons was made and aired in a time when adults believed animation was something exclusively for children.

This is, of course, ludicrous on the face of it, because boomers were raised on cartoons that were designed for adults, or at least for family viewing, as TV was still relatively new and watching was a communal activity. See also: The Flinstones hawking Winston cigarettes. Top Cat? Yogi Bear? All this stuff was primetime entertainment consumed by adults. That the same people who watched this stuff with their parents in the 60s would not get that point in the 80s is peak boomer.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Watching early seasons of The Simpsons is rough because of that babysitter criminal episode.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Toshimo posted:

This is, of course, ludicrous on the face of it, because boomers were raised on cartoons that were designed for adults, or at least for family viewing, as TV was still relatively new and watching was a communal activity. See also: The Flinstones hawking Winston cigarettes. Top Cat? Yogi Bear? All this stuff was primetime entertainment consumed by adults. That the same people who watched this stuff with their parents in the 60s would not get that point in the 80s is peak boomer.

Saturday morning cartoons are probably what really shifted the narrative to "cartoons are exclusively for kids", especially considering that so many of them were designed specifically to be 30 minute toy commercials.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Maggie Falling Down gag kept The Simpsons afloat for years.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

credburn posted:

The Maggie Falling Down gag kept The Simpsons afloat for years.

https://i.imgur.com/l3Xpgs8.gifv

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

That's the movie's fault. The introduction to Desperation the book is one of King's best, just an utter cold-blooded massacre from the word go that immediately shows how the novel takes place in hell on earth and everyone dies there. It loses some steam in the middle, but goddamn it's vicious overall.

I do not doubt that the book is better, but King wrote the teleplay for the movie

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a whole ecosystem of stuffy priss people who truly think that colonial Protestantism is the apex of human civilization and their voice never shuts the hell up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I could never relate at the time anyway because I didn't grow up in the US, but surely it's aged poorly that the Simpsons, an otherwise not particularly religious family, were depicted as going to church on Sundays.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No that's pretty standard in most of the US still. I've spent most of my live living in what would be called "progressive/liberal" areas by US standards and not going to any form of religious service is seen as aberrant, albeit not worth prosecuting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Marge is explicitly Christian though isn't she? She's the one driving the family churchgoing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah my family wasn't super Christian but my mom was raised Southern Baptist so that is just what we did on Sundays and sometimes Wednesdays. My dad was Methodist raised but firmly unreligious and he'd still go just to be supportive.

And I tell you what, I am an atheist and enjoy my lazy Sundays but damned if I don't sometimes want to go back just to meet people to talk to now and again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The show is over 30 years old now, so obviously we have stuff that contradicts the other stuff. Ultimately, the Simpsons started as a parody of the "typical American family" (usually middle America) and that still underpins the show. The only explicitly religious person is Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy.

They even recently did a bit on how the American middle class was destroyed and the idea of Homer doesn't really exist in the current generation.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

No that's pretty standard in most of the US still. I've spent most of my live living in what would be called "progressive/liberal" areas by US standards and not going to any form of religious service is seen as aberrant, albeit not worth prosecuting.

This is one of the many man MANY reasons I could never live in the US. My parents' families went to church on Sundays despite not being religious when they were kids because anyone who didn't back then was suspected of being a Communist but they grew up in a literal fascist dictatorship.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

AceOfFlames posted:

This is one of the many man MANY reasons I could never live in the US. My parents' families went to church on Sundays despite not being religious when they were kids because anyone who didn't back then was suspected of being a Communist but they grew up in a literal fascist dictatorship.

on the other hand it's a big fuckin country, that person's experience reads as extremely weird as someone pretty much just from big cities where, like every other big city on the planet, nobody has much time to care about their neighbors

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

on the other hand it's a big fuckin country, that person's experience reads as extremely weird as someone pretty much just from big cities where, like every other big city on the planet, nobody has much time to care about their neighbors
I grew up in big cities too but thanks for being a smug, presumptive rear end about it lmao

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

mind the walrus posted:

I grew up in big cities too but thanks for being a smug, presumptive rear end about it lmao

and you had people around you that actively cared whether you went to church or not? that's just as outlandish to me

e: and if it's because you grew up 30 years or so before i grew up, that's also, importantly, not indicative about the state of those parts of the US now

Mister Olympus has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Feb 27, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I could never relate at the time anyway because I didn't grow up in the US, but surely it's aged poorly that the Simpsons, an otherwise not particularly religious family, were depicted as going to church on Sundays.

It's worth remembering that a lot of the Simpsons was people in the late 80s referencing their own childhoods and family life when they were kids in the 50s, so parts of it were a bit old-fashioned even at the time, partly on purpose to make fun of Leave it to Beaver style wholesome family sitcoms. I'm pretty sure even when the show was first airing church attendance was more on par with Homer's views of "a social obligation I would avoid if it was even a little more socially acceptable"

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Never going to church was perfectly normal in Kansas in the 80s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Asterite34 posted:

It's worth remembering that a lot of the Simpsons was people in the late 80s referencing their own childhoods and family life when they were kids in the 50s, so parts of it were a bit old-fashioned even at the time, partly on purpose to make fun of Leave it to Beaver style wholesome family sitcoms. I'm pretty sure even when the show was first airing church attendance was more on par with Homer's views of "a social obligation I would avoid if it was even a little more socially acceptable"

So it was basically intentionally retro when presented.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So it was basically intentionally retro when presented.

Yeah the show definitely was intentionally set in a weird timeless cartoon world, like wasn’t the idea of Krusty and having a famous local tv clown something from their childhood in the 50s/60s?

It makes the modern crap with lame apple and Elon musk and crypto references stand out even more. The early stuff was timeless, like you don’t need to know that Skinner was a Psycho reference mixed with Vietnam vet, or who Fat Tony or Chief Wiggins’s are based on to get the jokes, they were well developed characters who stood on their own.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Annabel Pee posted:

Yeah the show definitely was intentionally set in a weird timeless cartoon world, like wasn’t the idea of Krusty and having a famous local tv clown something from their childhood in the 50s/60s?

Jesus Christ, our local tv cowboy (the other style of 50s holdover) lasted until 1997

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Buck_Shot_Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

It makes the modern crap with lame apple and Elon musk and crypto references stand out even more. The early stuff was timeless, like you don’t need to know that Skinner was a Psycho reference mixed with Vietnam vet, or who Fat Tony or Chief Wiggins’s are based on to get the jokes, they were well developed characters who stood on their own.

Skinner was also named after this guy, who was a psychologist that coined the term “operant conditioning”, and first described positive and negative reinforcement. I’m just breezing through the article, but I’m assuming there’s some real :nms: lurking in there somewhere (as it seems to with psychologists of the early 20th century).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._F._Skinner