Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

anakha posted:

If the baseline is 'no duds across P3/P4/P5', then I think Hierophant's the only real choice.

The arcana that's bad across all three? I offer up Devil.

Ohya's SL has bad Confidant bonuses but I like the actual content of it. As long as you don't date her.

Also P3 Devil is Tanaka and that's one of the funniest SLs in the entire series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scrap Dragon posted:

Ohya's SL has bad Confidant bonuses but I like the actual content of it. As long as you don't date her.

His theme song's in my head already.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Scrap Dragon posted:

The main thing I disliked about Ohya is that you have to spend extra days to hang out with her early on to get her to rank up, I think for both SL 3 and 4.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will give the P5 Devil confidant points for being the confidant where you hang out with Lala-chan, the one adult in Tokyo, possibly all of Japan, who has their poo poo together without needing to be counceled by a magic teenager.

E: Also she's not even an offensive stereotype, which I think is a first for the series. Just a wholesome dependable adult who happens to be a drag queen.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 18, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I will give the P5 Devil confidant points for being the confidant where you hang out with Lala-chan, the one adult in Tokyo, possibly all of Japan, who has their poo poo together without needing to be counceled by a magic teenager.

E: Also she's not even an offensive stereotype, which I think is a first for the series. Just a wholesome dependable adult who happens to be a drag queen.

Seriously I wished that character was the S. Link instead, teaching the protagonist how to counsel the people who are at the bar, etc. with Ohya being one of those people in it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

P3P: Alright, the whole Margaret Vision Quest challenge was actually kinda fun. the doors were pretty much all puzzles you had to figure out in the guise of battles, and Margaret herself was like the Lavenza secret boss fight in that you were pretty much on a timed challenge in phases with specific weaknesses per phase. I liked both fights, shame about the Elizabeth fight being an ambsolute misery to complete.

Getting instakilled by Margaret because I took the painstaking time to put Repel or Null xxx on my best personas was a load of bullshit though. Had to replace those with Resist-type cards instead. Not looking forward to the process of acquiring the same Repel/Null cards again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

anakha posted:

P3P: Getting instakilled by Margaret because I took the painstaking time to put Repel or Null xxx on my best personas was a load of bullshit though. Had to replace those with Resist-type cards instead. Not looking forward to the process of acquiring the same Repel/Null cards again.

Uh, I got some bad news. Margaret has rage triggers, yeah, but that's not one of them. You can bring a Persona that repels everything except Almighty and is immune to all ailments and she is cool with that. If you have an Omnipotent Orb equipped, however, that's what sets her off there. I'm pretty sure she's fine with passive skills doing that because you don't have enough skill slots to do that and hit the damage thresholds required. You're setting yourself up for guaranteed failure already so it's actually more of a clever dick move to not make it an instaloss condition.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I haven't played any of the Q games, but as I understand it they're canon but take place in weird time-warps and everyone gets their memories wiped of the game's events at the end, right?

Does Marie have any reaction to this information in either of the games? It feels like kind of a hot button issue for her.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think she's in those games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They're canon because atlus have brain worms and can't make spin off games without going "um actually this game is canon pls buy it"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished the Male MC run for P3P.

I somehow managed to avoid getting spoiled on the ending, and all I have to say is:

o7

You've earned that rest, MC. Godspeed.

After playing 3, 4, and 5, I would say that P5 has the best gameplay, P4 has the best narration, and P3 has the best overarching theme. That ending hits hard.

Gameplay-wise: I've already mentioned before how generally ugh most of the Male MC social links are, and how Tartarus generally sucks as the main battle stage. Another issue I realized later on is how loving expensive grabbing personas from the compendium are, and how difficult it is to get new personas via Shuffle Time. Shuffle Time personas tend to repeat a lot, and you're gonna have to do a ton of grinding to get some of the other available ones per section. That expense and scarcity impacted my ability to max out points from social link events by having the right persona on hand, so there were a few SLs I couldn't max out in this run.

Probably gonna go back to Triangle Strategy in the meantime before trying out the FeMC side, so that I don't burn myself out. I do wanna chase 100% cheevos eventually, and at least having NG+ should help out with the remaining trophies.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

So I picked up Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore.
used copy at gamestop for only $35.
seemed like a good price compared to online prices for once.

only played the prologue but enjoying it, as far as spinoffs go.
I like it a lot better than Soul Hackers 2 which bored me instantly.

tone seems like a light hearted mix between P3 and P4

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FeMC definitely has the better 'feel' by far, and all the SLs that were changed are for the better.

That said, you'll have a lot of free time on a NG+. Especially at night, considering there are a lot of dead nights even on a fresh game.

Just keep in mind that for FeMC specifically, there are two time-gated SLs Moon and Fortune. Moon you have 11 available hang outs so you have one 'spare' one, Fortune you have to say yes and hang out at every opportunity. Luckily they're auto-rank ups so you don't need matching Personas.

Also, Devil and Sun are auto-rank ups so you never need a matching Persona to rank them up.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

https://www.reddit.com/r/PERSoNA/comments/116g9av/i_always_thought_the_doors_in_the_iwatodai_dorm/

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Re: FeMC Moon does the post-rank 10 hang out not count as one of those? I skipped one opportunity because it coincided with a "trapped in Tartarus" request and still just barely had time to complete the social link and get the extra scene.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Re: FeMC Moon does the post-rank 10 hang out not count as one of those? I skipped one opportunity because it coincided with a "trapped in Tartarus" request and still just barely had time to complete the social link and get the extra scene.

I didn't include it since you have to romance him to access that scene. Then again, why would you not romance Shinjiro

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, I mean, that would make it 12 hangout opportunities, rather than 11, unless the romance event shows up when a regular social link hang wouldn't. I forget his schedule, but it might have been on a non-hang day now that I think about it, he's usually not available two days in a row.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah it's probably 12 then, I remember being annoyed that I got him to rank 10 on October 3rd so I missed out on the romance.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I picked up P5 before Royal came out and I’ve somehow only just now gotten around to playing it. I’m obsessed, can’t believe I’ve slept on it this long. Only now I’m thinking I’m missing out by not playing Royal. I didn’t want to basically buy the game twice to play it once but that was before I got way into it so now I’m not sure if I should abort and restart in R. I’ve almost gotten to the third palace. Thoughts?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Restart in R before sunk cost really sinks in.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Imo Royal has by far the best story and character content, change course now

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Through The Decade posted:

I picked up P5 before Royal came out and I’ve somehow only just now gotten around to playing it. I’m obsessed, can’t believe I’ve slept on it this long. Only now I’m thinking I’m missing out by not playing Royal. I didn’t want to basically buy the game twice to play it once but that was before I got way into it so now I’m not sure if I should abort and restart in R. I’ve almost gotten to the third palace. Thoughts?

Do you see yourself replaying a 120 hour game in the future? Because if not, I'd get Royal, it's the definitive version of the game. It's also on GamePass so you could get the $1 trial and not have to buy it.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

That’s what I was afraid of, lol thanks all. Pulling the chute.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never played Vanilla and it sounds absolutely deranged to reset at this point for Royal, but speaking as another person who slept on the series and is now obsessed, yes, absolutely do that.

Royal adds nothing but quality content and tightens up the gameplay a fair bit as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I played p5 vanilla 2 years ago as my first persona game and had mixed feelings about it. But after playing though p4g earlier this month my thoughts on the series have adjusted somewhat and I'm now resigned to the fact that I will be doing a p5r playthrough in the somewhat near future :D

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

If you play p5 before royal you might burn out by the time you get to the new content in royal. And the p5 content gets some good updates here and there in Royal anyway.

At least it happened for me, but I did a ng+ run of 5.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm finally playing persona 4!
Question.

Can I go into the tv at night and rescue someone, or is it always a directly after school thing? I know its supposed to take up a full day.

Any other general advice on how to spend time?
I've played smt4/5 and persona 5 so I'm familiar with combat at least

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

RC Cola posted:

Question.

Can I go into the tv at night and rescue someone, or is it always a directly after school thing? I know its supposed to take up a full day.

You can only go into the TV in the daytime/after school timeslot.

Empty out the vending machines every chance you get to stock up on SP recovery juice for the first dungeon. Doesn't really matter as much after that because the Hermit lets you trade money for SP directly while in the TV for all subsequent ones.

Buy a bunch of the 50 elemental damage items from the general store, use them to get knock-downs and do all out attacks and save SP. Also use them against stuff that's got really high armour and easily tanks your regular attacks because that 50 damage is guaranteed. This is especially important for the hand enemies that give tons of XP and money if you beat them.

Catching bugs at the shrine does not cause time to pass.

Make sure you buy the improved studying book and read it before you spend too much time on studying.

At some point everyone will have a moped and you'll see a party member outside the gas station where you can go out for a ride with them, this can make them relearn a move you had them forget or learn a brand new move - everyone has five new moves available this way, and the fifth one is often pretty powerful but it does mean you've got to spend five days going on a moped date to get to it.

Make sure you max out the Aeon social link before december. Also make sure you do the december dungeon on 22/12 (or earlier but if you do it earlier it'll advance time so you'll miss out on days you could've done other stuff).

Prioritise your party member social links because non-party social links don't give you benefits like they did in P5, while party members get follow-up attacks and recoveries and all that good stuff.

Diligence is the least useful social stat, nothing's gated behind having it at 5, although it does give you more attempts when fishing if you're into that.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Question.

Golden, I assume.

-You can only go in during the day/after school.
-On rainy days, eat at Aiya for great social stat leveling. A book sold later in the game will improve the stat gain.
-Max out the Aeon and get the Joker social link to, like, level 7(?). The latter of which must be done before November, I believe.
-Once you get the stats for it, take on the higher tier jobs (janitor, tutor, and daycare). They actually have a purpose other than money

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shyrka posted:

Make sure you max out the Aeon social link before december. Also make sure you do the december dungeon on 22/12 (or earlier but if you do it earlier it'll advance time so you'll miss out on days you could've done other stuff).

You do not need to max out Aeon before December; it is available until you've completed the December dungeon. It even becomes available on more (all?) days in December to ensure you have a chance to finish it out.

E: Also, one time saver I caught on way too late; once you have the opportunity to visit the shrine at night, you can buy relationship fortunes there. This eats the time slot, but is very handy if you have any social links that are between ranks and nothing better to do that night.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

fridge corn posted:

I played p5 vanilla 2 years ago as my first persona game and had mixed feelings about it. But after playing though p4g earlier this month my thoughts on the series have adjusted somewhat and I'm now resigned to the fact that I will be doing a p5r playthrough in the somewhat near future :D

When do you plan on playing the Personas 2?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Finished the prologue and chapter 1 of Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
The dungeons seems like the little brother of P5 with the unique maps, and certain lever gimmicks and opening shortcuts, but the old style maze layout of P3.

Battle system is engaging enough. Instead of all-out attacks, hitting weakness triggers automatic follow-up attacks.

its a shame that despite it being about idols and music, the music is really bland. Got to the first big chapter boss and the music was just eh? Could have used some of the really strong riffs from the various persona boss battle themes.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Played Vanilla Persona 5 on the PS3 a couple of times.

Started playing Royal this weekend on PS5. Loving the graphics update/up-rez. It's amazing how much detail feels missing in the PS3 version. It's like a layer of thin fog has been lifted off the screen. I'm breathing in the world and something I thought was already stylish and immersive and cool and great is now doubly so.

Had to stop playing after meeting Kasumi on the train. She seems like a welcome zip of energy and a delightful contrast to moody (at this time) Ann and Ryuji. Hoping she pops up fairly frequently throughout the main game..

Can't wait to dive back in again.

I lean to liking Vanilla P5's opening song more than Royal's, but like Royal's opening animation/intro more, with the start menu being at Shibuya crossing and all the jewels every where.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Neeksy posted:

When do you plan on playing the Personas 2?

Not really any time soon if at all tbh. I'd probably play p3p before going back to any of the even earlier ones.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shyrka posted:

At some point everyone will have a moped and you'll see a party member outside the gas station where you can go out for a ride with them, this can make them relearn a move you had them forget or learn a brand new move - everyone has five new moves available this way, and the fifth one is often pretty powerful but it does mean you've got to spend five days going on a moped date to get to it.

I'll say that actually varies; the guys don't actually have anything that vital for instance, the girls are generally much more useful and even then some of them are fine with one or two dates while others want the full five.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FES and 4 now have Achievements on Retroachivements if anyone needs an excuse to replay them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In the final month of replaying P3P and I'm getting reminded just how whack Aigis' skill progression is. She learns Heat Wave at level 51. Her next physical skill? Level 73. In between is all three Ma- buffs, Diarahan, and for some reason, Samarecarm.

What's worse is that Heat Wave is her multi-target skill so you're probably not using it for bosses. So her previous ST skill is... Fatal End. At level 35. That's 38 levels before she gets something above Medium potency.

Having Pierce in her attack command helps but.. man, even Junpei had better upgrade progression. At least later games were better about not cramming like four different roles into one character; Teddie also suffers from skillset bloat but his skill progression is more like Ken's where it's spotty but still sensible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aigis, despite being a Super Fighting Robot and canonically capable of wrecking the entire team single-handedly without Personas, is more of a healer/support character than an attacker in combat stats. That seems weird, until you remember that her fragmented memories of the battle with Ryoji/Nyx Avatar ten years prior are causing her to obsess over protecting the protagonist due to Nyx Avatar being sealed inside him/her and the Persona is a manifestation of your psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Did they change it to where your weapons carry over in NG+ in P5G for this port? Not really worth grinding the Reaper or stones for the pub otherwise.