Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Homeless Friend posted:

i appreciate the effort theyve put in when they could have made a 3-12 hour post timer

they could have someone other than smythe mod it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I respect the idea to try something different because QCS was clearly broken but everyone involved in workshopping this as the solution should never be in a position to implement their ideas ever again

it is a very code brained way of thinking. creating a more complex system is always the best way to solve a problem because interacting with people is hard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We've made a help desk that's only open when we're feeling up to it and we really think our clients (you posters) are gonna love it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's so loving funny. Hand Knit cannot stop being a fuckin chode, bless im

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they could have someone other than smythe mod it!!!

relying on a moderator is inevitably going to result in a moderator who can't be assed; even if they can find somebody good the first time. at least in SAMP you can shoot your userbase with an RPG. So you want to have open discussion, but not at a overwhelming rate. So just put in a limiter to where its manageable/reasonable.

speng31b posted:

it is a very code brained way of thinking. creating a more complex system is always the best way to solve a problem because interacting with people is hard

absolutely painfully computer toucher

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

speng31b posted:

More specifically because you don't want to pay someone to be the poo poo shoveler

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
They didn't tell anybody that this was the plan. They actually kept this dumb idea under wraps for like 2 months.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

my favorite thing about the admins and mods, is how smart they are

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am sorry to the people I probated indiscriminately. It was not a constructive way to express my frustration. It prevented people from spending their holiday online with their friends and angered even the people who were not affected personally. I cannot see that doing this will ever be useful, and so I will not do it again - SA is committed to thread bomb disarmament.

I am sorry I have been absent from these ongoing forums meta-discussions. I admit it floored me to see a discussion about some 6-18 hour probations for saying the word "oval office" escalate all the way to someone attempting to give a moderator a panic attack on purpose. Instead of helping, I was part of that escalation. Needless to say, that needs to never happen again, and I'm willing to do my part. When I took over the site, I promised I wouldn't be an absentee landlord, and I intend to keep that promise.

I believe that I have, explicitly or implicitly, put too much of the operation of this place on me personally, and this frustration spun out from that. The truth is, I do feel like relative inaction of the admin team here is on me. I have a pretty ponderous and slow-moving style and I think I have inadvertently taught the admins to move at my pace. In truth, my intention is to delegate broad authority to them and let them make sure these changes happen, with an understanding that I’ll have their back. I did not take over the website because I wanted to make every serious moderation decision myself, and in fact, I cannot possibly do that. I will work on better sharing the load and delegating responsibility so I can engage with important forums-wide issues without burning myself out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth diving out of the building as it explodes behind him, generic rock riff playing

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

qcs is now a genie that grants ironic wishes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'll do it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Azathoth diving out of the building as it explodes behind him, generic rock riff playing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
helpdesk closed my ticket without even responding theyre already breaking their own rules

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

helpdesk closed my ticket without even responding theyre already breaking their own rules

your thread was bad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is why devs need product managers. I'm a dev and I'm brave enough to say it

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

my favorite thing about the admins and mods, is how smart they are

Thank you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Azathoth posted:

If I was quitting because I didn't want to deal with QCS, I would have said that.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
going to be real, the gbs ukraine war type meltdodwn is going to be so good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
alos he should have probably not said that the cspam thread is for making jokes about the war, thats psychotic @_@

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think the one thing that will bring us all together is laughing at how loving goofy this all is.

Maybe that's the plan

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im really not looking forward to any of whatever is gonna come out of this unless it's everyone getting unbanned and less wack poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think that the gbs thread regulars will fit in just fine in the gip thread

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'm preparing to become admin. My first job will be to BAN Rasklnikov for collaborating with previous mods. We have to look forward, not backward.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
tenderadmin

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think that the gbs thread regulars will fit in just fine in the gip thread

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

im really not looking forward to any of whatever is gonna come out of this unless it's everyone getting unbanned and less wack poo poo

My prediction is that ongoing frustration and drama will overflow into the forums at large as tickets languish in the backlog until one of the admins gets fed up and starts machine gunning people for it. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
GiP is basically D&D but a user might be triggered by their insane esoteric knowledge of military hardware. trained. like a dog!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm preparing to become admin. My first job will be to BAN Rasklnikov for collaborating with previous mods. We have to look forward, not backward.

good luck proving that with what i assume is the multiple mod forum posts regarding my tenure as IK

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Have fun using the forums while you can bub

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

good luck proving that with what i assume is the multiple mod forum posts regarding my tenure as IK

There are hundreds of posts about you, not that I'd ever need them. Things are going to change when I become admin of cspam and pyf.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let us all come together in this moment and lmao lol what the gently caress

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm preparing to become admin.

the ocean tide raises all the ships, nhd... don't forget that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just loving pay people, Jeffrey

Good god it's not that hard. You can't trick people into doing things they don't want to

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol at the lepers colony

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

lobster shirt posted:

The PYF Sagas thread is closed and will not be reopened. There were expectations set when the thread was allowed to return after being gassed previously, and those conditions were not met. This week, things escalated quickly to an unmanageable state, and Jeffrey was available to back up the decision to close the PYF Sagas thread. We have discussed this with The Saddest Rhino, and we appreciate his numerous attempts to get the thread back on track. Like we have previously mentioned, the admins do not see this as a moderation failure because Rhino was in communication with us and trying to navigate one of the most difficult threads to manage after closing QCS.

PYF is one of the most welcoming forums on SA through a lot of hard work over the years, and we do not want to see its reputation damaged. In its current form, the PYF Sagas thread is creating a rift between users on the site, instead of bringing them together. That has not always been the case. When the Sagas thread worked, it was under constant daily moderation to keep it on track for historical sagas, not current drama. It is clear to us that goons are incapable of understanding where that line is, including how to watch "drama" from a distance and not take the jokes to a personal level. Unfortunately, it has now begun to spread to other places around the forums -- including the mod forum. We cannot let this administrative failure further impact the rest of this site.

Thankfully, we have a space built within these forums for funny flame wars and "no rules" posting - it is FYAD. If someone wants a place to make fun of the weird hosed up poo poo that happens on this website, FYAD exists. Hell, it even has a thread for making fun of this stuff for ages.

thread closed

Unsurprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lmfao they demodded kit

dudes rock